Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Body Shop

• 19-07-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Their Sterling to Euro conversion is way off. I was happily using an item for a few years from there which cost around €13.50. Saw the same item in a UK body shop for £7 :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Their Sterling to Euro conversion is way off. I was happily using an item for a few years from there which cost around €13.50. Saw the same item in a UK body shop for £7 :mad:

How is it a Rip-off if you were happy to pay the price for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

...because I didn't realise how cheaply they sell it in in the UK so, yes, I did feel ripped off when I saw the Sterling price :rolleyes:. And it is a rip off if there is such a big difference between Sterling and UK price, VAT aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

...because I didn't realise how cheaply they sell it in in the UK so, yes, I did feel ripped off when I saw the Sterling price :rolleyes:. And it is a rip off if there is such a big difference between Sterling and UK price, VAT aside.

But would the fact that our minimum wage is nearly twice that of the UK's and "Upward only rent reviews" not be a factor this difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

Well most British shops that have branches in Ireland (that I shop in at least) would have a price difference as in this example: £12/€15. I just felt that the there was a huge discrepancy in the Body Shop conversions, but sure it's all a matter of personal opinion and what people are willing to pay and consider to be a reasonable conversion. What one person sees as a rip off, another would see as a fair price, it's all relative :) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

The Body Shop's conversion rate has always been this way, it's nothing new, while some stores have improved their rates a lot, their's has only improved slightly IMO, and they don't deliver to here from the UK....You've four options:
    1. stock up up North
    2. Pay the prices here
    3. Don't buy from them
    4. Buy their products on ebay - new & for less than they cost in the shops here (something I've done a fair bit over the years)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 fordey101

It's a franchise company, and the UK and Irish stores are completely separate entities with different owners, hence the difference in prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

everything is cheaper in uk,clothes computers,flights,etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its not a conversion rate. If you went into the body shop and only had sterling and they converted £20 to €15 then you can rightly say they give a poor exchange rate.

This happens in loads of threads here, as though a companies should be matching prices worldwide and have up to date rates in line with XE.com.

This is just regional pricing, maybe because the UK is closer people moan more, and are blind to the fact it is CLEARLY going on for decades (think prices on books & magazines).

I have not seen any threads about Levi's poor exchange rates when you compare their Irish & US stores. People might mention the price difference but at least they do not go on as though its an exchange/conversion rate.
    I was happily using an item for a few years from there which cost around €13.50. Saw the same item in a UK body shop for £7
    So are you now going to stop buying it? (could be cutting your nose off to spite your face if you were happy with it for years) what will you get instead? and did you not think of doing it (whatever it is) before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

rubadub wrote: »
    So are you now going to stop buying it? (could be cutting your nose off to spite your face if you were happy with it for years) what will you get instead? and did you not think of doing it (whatever it is) before?

Yeap. Some people just blindly buying products for years without reference or comparison price checks. Then shock, they find out the price is more and everyone wonders why these shops still do it.....

Advertisement