Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I like to win things. Remember that CL qualification is desirable because it is an ultimate means to an end - that being the winning of trophies. If we won the Europa League to the detriment of CL qualification I'd have no qualms.

I would. I want to win the Premiership and CL. Neither will happen without finishing top 4. The longer we are out of the top 4, the harder it is to win those trophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

NukaCola wrote: »
    What should be our goal for this season?
    Bear in mind its looking less and less likely that the Owners are putting in money for transfers

4th should be our goal.

Perhaps Europa League, I think that would be good to do well in as it would increase our profile again around Europe.

However, if there is no further investment in the squad, then its quite concerning and I'd be very worried for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It's our year!

(suppose someone had to say it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

We need CL to attract top players. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Also, just to inject some ****ing realism into the la la land this thread has become in recent months:

WE WILL NOT QUALIFY FOR THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THIS SEASON

Manager isn't near good enough
    Squad isn't good enough

Lots of people setting themselves up to repeat the idiocy that was in the wind towards the end of last season and 2009 / 10.

If Rodgers got towards 65 points or got us in a couple of Cup semi finals or more then we should all be delighted with that - would be a hell of a result. I don't think we'll get near either mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Also, just to inject some ****ing realism into the la la land this thread has become in recent months:

Squad isn't good enough

Lots of people setting themselves up to repeat the idiocy that was in the wind towards the end of last season and 2009 / 10.

If Rodgers got towards 65 points or got us in a couple of Cup semi finals or more then we should all be delighted with that - would be a hell of a result. I don't think we'll get near either mind.

How do you even know this? We haven't even played any ****ing games yet.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Net spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Doni for etc etc Anfield Cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I would see us finishing in the top 6 as being a realistic prediction. Anything higher would be impressive IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Squad isn't good enough

Im not sure, Im almost guaranteed that we wont qualify for CL, but im sure we'll put up a damn good fight for it and probably end up 5th/6th and push through the Europa League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

For what its worth I think Liverpool will be in the mix for European places going into April this year but the competition for UCL is getting tougher and tougher each year, I'd hate to try and predict the finishing positions for top 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Defending the Carling Cup has to be the priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Here ye go lads, enjoy.

Carried on from here.

Thanks!

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Squad isn't good enough

Don't think anyone is saying we will. However I don't want to see our manager
    coming out and giving the players a free pass for not bothering in a premiership game because they have there minds on a cup game.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    How do you even know this? We haven't even played any ****ing games yet.

So far we've downgraded our management team and playing staff, so I see no reason to think we can do better than last season.

Top six.
    Developing the youth.
    Improvement in football.
    Clear out dross.
    Get in one or two more talented players.

This would be a very nice first season for Rodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brendan Rogers is after Joe Allen (from grauniad)
    The Swansea midfielder Joe Allen has been named as a transfer target by the Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers.

Rodgers, who made the switch from Swansea to replace Kenny Dalglish this summer, confirmed his interest in the Welsh international after admitting he is also interested in Fulham's Clint Dempsey.

Allen, 22, signed a four-year deal with Swansea last year but Rodgers is keen to bring him to Anfield.

Rodgers told SkySports.com: "I have a great relationship with Swansea but if there is a market for any of the players, I would like to be in that market. They respect that. He is a very talented player, which everyone knows but there is nothing more at the moment. When players come to a club such as Liverpool, it's never straightforward. There are always other barriers and difficulties. At this moment, there are ongoing negotiations on a few targets."

Rodgers has already signed the former Swansea striker Fabio Borini in a £10m deal with Roma and is keen to wrap up some more early business.

Rodgers said: "We hope we're close to some deals. I need to evaluate the players we have and assess the squad and bring some in to bring freshness to the group. As a manager you want them in sooner rather than later but the main thing is to get them in before the beginning of the season. If we do that, our job will be done."

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Hello!..who's that lurking in the background? :D

256390_10151166296192573_1077780917_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Who?

So far we've downgraded our management team and playing staff, so I see no reason to think we can do better than last season.

Kenny didnt play Kuyt and Maxi much last season. Aurelio was injured. How is losing them all of a sudden a downgrade in playing staff from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Arsenal will struggle for goals without RVP, and have needed to sign new centre half for each of the last 3 summers I think, so there is an imbalance there.

Spurs have a good squad, but they need to sign a keeper and Modric will be a big miss for them. VDV has been a good source of goals but that can't last, and Defoe is wasting away, and Saha gone...

We'll come 4th. Lucas back in, playing a more attacking style (not system) which should result in more home wins, where we should be very hard to beat. Suarez stays out of trouble and gets better service, and we can close that gap...

spockety wrote: »
    Hello!..who's that lurking in the background? :D

Photoshop is so good thee days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Dickerty wrote: »
    Arsenal will struggle for goals without RVP, and have needed to sign new centre half for each of the last 3 summers I think, so there is an imbalance there.

Spurs have a good squad, but they need to sign a keeper and Modric will be a big miss for them. VDV has been a good source of goals but that can't last, and Defoe is wasting away, and Saha gone...

We'll come 4th. Lucas back in, playing a more attacking style (not system) which should result in more home wins, where we should be very hard to beat. Suarez stays out of trouble and gets better service, and we can close that gap...

We said that last year & look what happened. Arsenal & Chelsea stank the place out all year & still finished ahead of us.

I think a top 6 position would be a good achievement. Esp when you take into account the money CFC have spent & the strength of the 2 Manchester clubs

Kenny didnt play Kuyt and Maxi much last season. Aurelio was injured. How is losing them all of a sudden a downgrade in playing staff from last year.

Kuyt, Maxi and Aurellio gone
    Borrini, Cole in

I'm not counting Aqua until September 1st.

How is that anything but an overall downgrade?

Not sure if serious......*

* joking! You are of course totally straight faced unblinkingly serious.

I know it's a matter of opinion, but seriously....

Can you and Alan stay in the other thread??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I'm sorry but bullshít. Kenny proved that he didn't have a clue how to manage in the premier league, Rodgers proved he does know how to.
    We lost Kuyt, Maxi and Aurelio
    We have brought in Borini and Dempsey will most likely join. Thats an improvement straight away.

mike65 wrote: »
    Not sure if serious......

I'm deadly serious. Rodgers has shown nothing so far in management to indicate he is superior to Kenny Dalglish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

mike65 wrote: »
    Photoshop is so good thee days.

Photoshop this :P

AyCJgN-CAAAsOKJ.jpg:medium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Being in 4 competitions will stretch your squad big time so I think Rogers would be well advised to pick one plus the league and leave the others almost exclusively to the youth team + reserves. I'd be inclined to focus attention on the League + Europa League. At the moment the big 3 teams plus Arsenal and Spurs are probably ahead of you in squad terms. Personally I can't see Newcastle hitting the same heights again although their transfer policy is one that Liverpool would do well to follow. Its going to take time to undo the damage of the past couple of seasons squad wise and as for challenging for the league; unless an Oil Baron appears on the horizon you're probably going to have to let that play out and see if the wheels fall off City/Chelsea.

Fair play to her, she could just swan about the house dressed in little more than satin knickers but instead she's out and about getting to know the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Whether or not we will qualify, it should still be our aim.

Aim for the sky and all that.

Borrini, Cole in

LL They didnt ****ing play last season. How is it a downgrade to lose players that did not play?

Borrini, Cole in

1. We are nowhere near finished the window yet.
    2. Aurelio play bugger all, Robinson should have been back-up instead. That's practically an upgrade.
    3. Both Maxi and Kuyt were past their best. Bringing through players like Sterling, and signing a young goalscorer like Borini, is the right thing to do. Losing the former two doesn't cost us hugely based on last season, and two very large wages off the bill...

Melion wrote: »
    I'm sorry but bullshít. Kenny proved that he didn't have a clue how to manage in the premier league, Rodgers proved he does know how to.
    We lost Kuyt, Maxi and Aurelio
    We have brought in Borini and Dempsey will most likely join. Thats an improvement straight away.

Yeah, a former Premier League winning manager has "no clue" how to manage in the Premier League.

Sure, the block of form Dalglish put together at the end of 2010 / 11 was superior to anything Rodgers has done at the top level for a recent comparison.

Drink up some more kool aid though, I hear it's nice and tangy and laced with unfounded optimism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm deadly serious. Rodgers has shown nothing so far in management to indicate he is superior to Kenny Dalglish.

But weren't we terribly unlucky last year, hitting the woodwork a billion times, missing ten thousand penalties, having two key players Lucas and Gerrard injured for most of the season, and Suarez banned for a third of it?

Those are things that are unlikely to repeat themselves this year, so even if Rodgers is the chump he's been made out to be, it'll be hard not to improve on last season's performance.

Leave it go dude.....

LL They didnt ****ing play last season. How is it a downgrade to lose players that did not play?

I happen to remember that Kuyt chap popping up at vital moments in our biggest results of the season. Strange that you have forgotten about them.

Kenny IMO showed last season he didn't have a clue in the league.

Leave it go dude.....

No. Sacking Kenny Dalglish to replace him with Brendan ****ing Rodgers is an absolute disgrace of the highest order, and will forever sully my relationship with the club.

That it came exactly two years after we sacked Rafael Benitez to replace him with Roy ****ing Lodgson just compounds the hurt.

We deserve no success, try not to forget that.

• Advertisement

Yeah, a former Premier League winning manager has "no clue" how to manage in the Premier League.

Sure, the block of form Dalglish put together at the end of 2010 / 11 was superior to anything Rodgers has done at the top level for a recent comparison.

Drink up some more kool aid though, I hear it's nice and tangy and laced with unfounded optimism.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. He won the league in 1995 ffs, football has changed since then and if you can't realise that then you're beyond help.

I happen to remember that Kuyt chap popping up at vital moments in our biggest results of the season. Strange that you have forgotten about them.

I haven't. That if anything shows how inept Kennys tactis were. Under use Kuyt and overuse Henderson on the right.

No. Sacking Kenny Dalglish to replace him with Brendan ****ing Rodgers is an absolute disgrace of the highest order, and will forever sully my relationship with the club.

How far did we have to sink before you would say, enough is enough, time for Kenny to go? Try to ignore his history as a player for a second.

Melion wrote: »
    How far did we have to sink before you would say, enough is enough, time for Kenny to go? Try to ignore his history as a player for a second.

TWO CUP FINALS

TWO CUP FINALS

You don't sack a manager who got you to two cup finals unless he also got you relegated ffs.

TWO. CUP. FINALS.

Sink? lol

TWO CUP FINALS

TWO CUP FINALS

You don't sack a manager who got you to two cup finals unless he also got you relegated ffs.

TWO. CUP. FINALS.

Sink? lol

So you'd be happy with TWO.CUP.FINALS and finishing 17th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

comparing the hiring of Hodgson to the hiring of Rodgers is really uncalled for IMO.

Hodgson had proved he couldn't cut it at the level he was thrust in at before arriving.

Rodgers is an excellent young manager who is still to prove he can cut it at the level he is being thrust in at, and has the potential to make it.

big difference IMO.

this is a big risk, and could of course turn into failure, but it's not nailed on like you're suggesting LL.

and keeping Kenny on would've been a risk as well, let's not forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

gafferino wrote: »
    We need CL to attract top players. Simple as.

Not necessarily. Cabaye left Lille who had just won Ligue 1 with Champions League football to join us. Likewise Ben Arfa though that was initially on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

That it came exactly two years after we sacked Rafael Benitez to replace him with Roy ****ing Lodgson just compounds the hurt.

We deserve no success, try not to forget that.

WTF? You have sullied my relationship with this thread with your claptrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If you went to a pre-season game and bad mouthed the manager the way you are on this forum, you'd be ran out of town. It's completely inane, moronic and downright ignorant to criticise the new manager about transfers before the window is shut, about how his team will perform before they have kicked a ball. It's even more moronic to launch these blithe criticisms without any hint of context (how much money we have, fact that the club is no longer a big draw without CL football etc).

Rogers was interviewed and selected as the best available candidate. I stand behind him and 100% against the internet spite merchants even more so, knives sharpened and claws ready before we have even played a game. Ridiculous, utterly utterly ridiculous.

For some it's drinking kool aid, for other's is supporting our team, our manager and our players. You stay on the cynical side of the fence, enjoy the gloom.

Simply put, I think your judgement is warped out of all context by your feelings on the previous 2 managers, you're demonstrably not able to be rational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

SlickRic wrote: »
    comparing the hiring of Hodgson to the hiring of Rodgers is really uncalled for IMO.

Hodgson had proved he couldn't cut it at the level he was thrust in at before arriving.

Rodgers is an excellent young manager who is still to prove he can cut it at the level he is being thrust in at, and has the potential to make it.

big difference IMO.

this is a big risk, and could of course turn into failure, but it's not nailed on like you're suggesting LL.

and keeping Kenny on would've been a risk as well, let's not forget that.

What a weird way of looking at it.

I could easily spin to say Hodgson is more experienced with bigger teams.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement