Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Ape X wrote: »
    Regarding Standard Chartered, does anyone know the likely ins and outs of a typical sponsorship deal? For example, would there be clauses where either party can ditch the other if they were to be involved with unsavoury circumstances that may reflect badly on the other party? You hear of sponsors dropping individual sportspeople whenever there's a scandal... just wondering if it can work the other way.

Said in a booming Bane voice - "Of course"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Regarding Standard Chartered, does anyone know the likely ins and outs of a typical sponsorship deal? For example, would there be clauses where either party can ditch the other if they were to be involved with unsavoury circumstances that may reflect badly on the other party? You hear of sponsors dropping individual sportspeople whenever there's a scandal... just wondering if it can work the other way.

You can bet your bottom dollar oul Johnny & Tom wont be ditching any contract worth £20mill +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kess73 wrote: »
    Did not think it was you tbh, but hey ho. :)

I do think he is good enough to play in a team instead of Agger, but he is not the same style of player as Agger and imho I think he would be a massive upgrade on Skrtel in terms of style of play rather than a perfect replacement of Agger.

Agger and Yanga-Mbiwa > Yanga-Mbiwa and Skrtel. And by some distance.

When you go about setting up that scouting company let me know Kess.
    I'll erm, make the website or something :D

Dunno how you manage to follow so many leagues and teams so thoroughly. Its the same with Ade, and I think G.K, as far as I can tell on this forum. There's probably more as well.

Should have a bit more time next year so have pegged the Bundesliga down on my watch list. Between that, PL and American Football I should be covered for a while before I go expanding again :)

Do you generally pick a team to watch in each league (I know you lived abroad so have affiliations with certain clubs etc), or is it more of a general thing?

From what I can gather by Ade's posts he's built up a vast knowledge through gambling(or maybe the gambling is a product of his knowledge), as well as supporting the likes of BVB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Leiva wrote: »
    You can bet your bottom dollar oul Johnny & Tom wont be ditching any contract worth £20mill +

Their hand my be forced given that they are an American operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

I wasn't suggessting they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

Is great news if true, and maybe a sign that other players may be getting offered extensions.

I am surprised he signed considering last season. Hopefully he knows something we don't.

I'd imagine Liverpool would hold the upper hand in this scenario, if what is reported is found to be true.

I could be wrong but if Liverpool feel the need to ditch Standard Chartered because of this, then it is probably a breech of contract by Standard Chartered and as such Liverpool would be entitled to compensation.

I may very well be talking out my arse though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd imagine Liverpool would hold the upper hand in this scenario, if what is reported is found to be true.

I could be wrong but if Liverpool feel the need to ditch Standard Chartered because of this, then it is probably a breech of contract by Standard Chartered and as such Liverpool would be entitled to compensation.

I may very well be talking out my arse though.

They'd also have to take into consideration the fans furore whose new jerseys would suddenly be out of date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's funny, both Allen and this Mbiwa lad are 23, both had breakthrough seasons last year. One is supposedly awful value at £15 million, but at the same time, I would say most of the folks who think Allen is awful value, would happily have us spend £15 million on Mbiwa.

• Advertisement

Is it not possible they could drop them and get someone else to sponsor? Id imagine there is considering the the only relationship the two companies have is to improve awareness and reputation of each other. When ones reputation has the opposite effect on the other there must be a plan in place.

It's funny, both Allen and this Mbiwa lad are 23, both had breakthrough seasons last year. One is supposedly awful value at £15 million, but at the same time, I would say most of the folks who think Allen is awful value, would happily have us spend £15 million on Mbiwa.

Have you seen Mbiwa play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Really? Why spend that when he's available for half that price?

Well, he's not English for a start. Also, final year of contract so discount deal.
    There's value in the market if we stop fucking ignoring it. It's actually becoming quite tiresome.

Standard Chartered are a multi-billion dollar company, they will be easily able to pay any fine that regulators throw at them.

Standard Chartered are a multi-billion dollar company, they will be easily able to pay any fine that regulators throw at them.

Especially when the can launder $250bn at ease.

(Allegedly)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

i wonder when our next signing will be announced?

tomorrow hopefully

Very little talk of Agger leaving on twitter since the Suarez 'Leak'

donfers wrote: »
    i wonder when our next signing will be announced?

tomorrow hopefully

I think something is happening as we speak :)

amiable wrote: »
    i_see_what_you_did_there_poster-r8f044f42410c44898ead34192059346f_y1u_400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Who suggested £15m for Yanga-Mbiwa? Most on here have mentioned him being in the 5m to 10m range due to him refusing to sign a contract extension and now being in the last year of his contract. Come January he can arrange for a free transfer next summer, so Mountpelier are in a position where they sell for what they can this summer (and the player has said he wants out) or he goes for nothing next summer.

And last season was not Yanga-Mbiwa's breakthrough season. It was his fifth season as a first team regular and he has been showing pretty commanding form for the past three seasons. So hardly a one season wonder.

• Advertisement

Calm before the storm? FSG have a history of releasing news the same time a big event is happening. At least since they came to Liverpool anyhow.

Could be a way of tempering fans and a shitstorm; "On one hand Agger is leaving, but look, shiny new contract for your best player and look at all the money we gots".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Oh? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Calm before the storm? FSG have a history of releasing news the same time a big event is happening. At least since they came to Liverpool anyhow.

Could be a way of tempering fans and a shitstorm; "On one hand Agger is leaving, but look, shiny new contract for your best player and look at all the money we gots".

Might just be to draw away from the SC news. Does seem odd though.

Getting rid of Agger would be mental so I hope it's not that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Did FSG hire a bunch of work experience students to run the PR department? Between the Suarez leak and Dempsey signing announcement, they sound like a right bunch of gobshítes

And last season was not Yanga-Mbiwa's breakthrough season. It was his fifth season as a first team regular and he has been showing pretty commanding form for the past three seasons. So hardly a one season wonder.
    The same can be said for Joe Allen then.

flanzer wrote: »
    Did FSG hire a bunch of work experience students to run the PR department? Between the Suarez leak and Dempsey signing announcement, they sound like a right bunch of gobshítes

Why did they leak the Suarez contract though? ;)

Apparently it was an accident. It wasnt supposed to be shown until 5pm.

Have you seen Mbiwa play ?
    Nope, but looking at both of their backgrounds and history, they appear to have had a very similar progression in terms of their careers. If we ended up in a battle with Milan for his signature, then his price is going to get bumped up, regardless of whether his contract expires next year or not.

I don't really know.... because they're gobshítes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

tumblr_lnopkihwfj1qgbdl6.gif

• Advertisement

Joni23 wrote: »
    Apparently it was an accident. It wasnt supposed to be shown until 5pm.
    political-pictures-sarah-palin-whoosh.jpg

You can add Henry saying to that fella in Boston "Oh yeah, and we signed that Roma lad".

And on top of that the handling of the Carroll and Agger transfers where we seemingly showed our hand from the beginning like an excited child with pocket aces.

I prefer the Kenny method of "When we have something to announce we will say it, till then there's nothing to report".

<cynicism> I do think that is to temper the bad news of Agger's transfer unfortunately. </cynicism>

<deluded optimism> Or, to show potential new signings that they apparently mean business in an attempt to persuade them to join.</deluded optimism>

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Dont worry we will have signed Titus Bramble for 30 million by the end of the week:D

<cynicism> I do think that is to temper the bad news of Agger's transfer unfortunately. </cynicism>

<deluded optimism> Or, to show potential new signings that they apparently mean business in an attempt to persuade them to join.</deluded optimism>

I doubt leaking it early would make much difference in either scenario.

The same can be said for Joe Allen then.

Can it? From what I can see on him, he has two seasons as a first team regular to his name, and only one season in the top league of the country he plays in.

Yanga-Mbiwa has five seasons as a first team regular and three seasons in the top flight in France, and he has performed to a stand out level for each of those three seasons, hence him being one of the more highly rated young defenders in Europe for the past three years.

Cannot honestly say that I heard anywhere that Allen was one of the most highly rated young midfielders in Europe for the past three seasons. If I am to be honest I never really noticed Allen as a player before last season.

gaelicred wrote: »
    Dont worry we will have signed Titus Bramble for 30 million by the end of the week

The worrying thing is we could well sign someone like Ashley Williams for near 10m when the likes of Mbiwa is available for potentially less.

Williams, 27 at the peak of his game, which btw is nowhere near as good as Agger, or even Skrtel.

Mbiwa, 23 captain of the French league winning side and sought after by Milan. Looks like they can't/won't get him so he is open for a move to Newcastle.

Its a no brainer if that scenario exists, whack down the 10m just to make sure and haul him over to Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Joni23 wrote: »
    I doubt leaking it early would make much difference in either scenario.

It would if he hasn't actually signed a contract but you wanna give some false hope before announcing Agger is off.

Opr

Cannot honestly say that I heard anywhere that Allen was one of the most highly rated young midfielders in Europe for the past three seasons. If I am to be honest I never really noticed Allen as a player before last season.

G.K seems to rate him as one of the top young players in his position in any of the European leagues.

Granted that may be solely on the back of last year, but he has a high interest in the Championship so may well have rated him beforehand.

Tbh, I would be quite happy if we signed Allen, and I do think we need someone like him.

The 15m is a bit of a worry for me when you consider a Belhanda would be of similar value in the European market.

However, to bring out the PL cliches, I do feel that Allen would fit in right away into the side and perform instantly, all while making the transition to Rodgers' style both easier for the team, and Rodgers himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

G.K seems to rate him as one of the top young players in his position in any of the European leagues.

Granted that may be solely on the back of last year, but he has a high interest in the Championship so may well have rated him beforehand.

Tbh, I would be quite happy if we signed Allen, and I do think we need someone like him.

The 15m is a bit of a worry for me when you consider a Belhanda would be of similar value in the European market.

However, to bring out the PL cliches, I do feel that Allen would fit in right away into the side and perform instantly, all while making the transition to Rodgers' style both easier for the team, and Rodgers himself.

I'd say Belhanda, only judging by others glowing opinions of him, would probably be £20M.

£15M would get you the other Sissoko.

I think anyway.

I can see the PR department later....
    'Remember Brendan Rogers said the fans will excited by the new signing....we'll we've locked Luis Suarez into a long term contract.....Whey-heyyyy'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I can see the PR department later....
    'Remember Brendan Rogers said the fans will excited by the new signing....we'll we've locked Luis Suarez into a long term contract.....Whey-heyyyy'

Who? :p

NukaCola wrote: »
    Who? :p

It's a phonetic statement... no doubt the press release will have the same spelling errors!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7970943/Suarez-set-to-sign-new-deal

right step one to a successful summer...now don't fúck the rest of it up!

I'd say Belhanda, only judging by others glowing opinions of him, would probably be £20M.

£15M would get you the other Sissoko.

I think anyway.

I reckon you would get change back from £15m on Sissoko.

Belhanda would be in the £15m -£20m mark possibly.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, Liverpool FC Tv not showing the scheduled live broadcast at 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

just noticed that....

better get ready....

tin-foil-hat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Its Messi.........you heard it here first! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What was it that was said on here in the last week or so? Oh yeah, that there would be no way that a player like him would consider coming to an English club in the Europa league.

I said there is no way he would pick Milan over Liverpool.

edit: Liverpool over Milan I mean.

El Spearo wrote: »
    just noticed that....

better get ready....

tin-foil-hat.jpg

When did Alan get a cat?

:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement