Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Delighted Suarez has stuck by us after last season, 20 goals this season now please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Jeez those Sahin comments (if true) hurt .

He is just saying what we all know but it still hurts to hear it from a top player of the likes we are trying to attract.

What the hell has happened my club :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

jessicafletcher.jpg
    mike65 wrote: »
    Nothing gets past agent Sir Gallagher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Delighted Suarez has stuck by us after last season, 20 goals this season now please!

tbf that works both ways considering we stood by him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Our best player signed a contract extension, its giod news and fans are well within their rights to be happy about it. That doesnt mean that we're happy about the lack of movement in transfers or the wool is being pulled over our eyes.

true but i am still wary, i never thought Suarez would go this Summer and i also think this contract has neither increased or decreased his chances of leaving next Summer

i need new signings like a junkie needs a hit and my dealer is leaving town in a couple of weeks and my dole money is far less than I thought it was

• Advertisement

Leiva wrote: »

He is just saying what we all know but it still hurts to hear it from a top player of the likes we are trying to attract.

please provide the alleged Sahin comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mr Alan wrote: »

It's not a selected "rumour", you're quite intentionally downplaying it. It's widely reported as fact in the most credible newspapers in England & by the most credible journalists at those papers.

Combining it with the club lying about Agger being injured last week & not travelling for the game, his agent coming out & saying he & his client were bemused by the lie & that there had been no moves from the club to extend his contract, it's fair to say there is definitely something behind the story. It's entirely foolish to believe otherwise & try & write it off as if it were twaddle from the gossip section of The Star or something.

Kneejerk? Not in the slightest. Just judging the window as it's progressing.

If Rodgers comes out & says that no offer would pry Daniel from Liverpool and he signs an extentsion, then yes, I'll say Barrett & co. were off the wall.

If Man City don't meet the asking price & we're left with an unhappy Agger, no I'll not be impressed & we'll likely face an Alonso-esque situation in Jan/next summer.

If it materializes that there is something to the Agger story, will you then admit you were foolish to disregard it so righteously & flippantly? Or do you want your cake & to eat it too?

What are you pontificating about? :confused:

I've never held either of the two up as a decent source.

Oh right, so you agree that your last point was totally irrelevant? Cool.
    There's a difference between making a byline into a headline & inventing a story, if you can't see it, disappointing.

All it takes is for one line from the club totally rubbishing the story. We'll get that chance when Rodgers faces the cameras over the next couple of days.

I presume you will also hold your hands up in here & say you were wrong to scoff at the talk of it?

I take very few journalists seriously. However, if it's Liverpool related & Tony Barrett says it, I believe it. I've no issue admitting it. It's the main reason The Times took him in.

You attempted to invent a couple of stories he got wrong last night, I asked for links, you ignored the request. Quite simply, he is the most reliable source of Liverpool information outside the official club channels.

I find it quite hilarious that you're scoffing at people talking about such a widely reported story held in every credible paper as nothing more than gossip-mongering, when all season you post little tit-bits from your trips back to Liverpool. Weird weird double standard.

From here on out, I'm gonna pull you up on every time you lend any non-official source any creedence by discussing it. Enjoy.

The difference is that I don't come out and claim that some journo gossip is credible or . I call anything I hear back home gossip, whereas you go on about "credible" sources when they are nothing more than the exact same level of gossip that I repeat.

Two of the guys that I get gossip from are journos. One is still with the Echo, the other is one that you yourself like to use as one of your credible sources. They use words like "rumour" and "chit chat" to describe what they say to me because as far as all involved in the conversation are concerned that is what it is until it comes true.

I am also not scoffing at anyone who wants to take newspapers stories as some kind of proof of things, I simply chose not to take stories that contain no quotes and no sources as seriously as you seem to with some, and for me that is regardless of what name comes with the article. A Barrett article with actual quotes I will pay attention to thanks to his track record with such articles, but a Barrett article with no quotes is normally a mix of his personal opinion coupled with guesswork.

I am also not downplaying the Agger rumours in anyway or form, because for me to downplay them it would mean that I am taking them as more than just rumour. I see them as rumour right now and you shouting the odds and trying to turn things into an arguement with me won't change that.

And if you want to debate anything I discuss on this public forum, then that's fine with me as you can be a very engaging debater when the mood takes you and especially because you can mix passion and logic very well at times, but if you are threatening to moderate or spam every post I make on here, then I hope you have football forum mod next to your name when you do so.

It's up to you how we get along Alan. You can disagree strongly with me and debate stuff when you think your are right/I am wrong, or you can be an arse and try for a cheap rise. For what it is worth I prefer the version that fights his corner and give intelligent debate to try and win his arguements, but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter because you and I are just names on a screen to one another and if one of us crosses the line too much the other has the ignore function or the report post function as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It is a bit strange that we would renew Suarez contract when he has 4 years left, but haven't even approached Agger who has 2 years left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

donfers wrote: »

please provide the alleged Sahin comments

"I would not be interested in a team that are not competitive, such as Newcastle or Liverpool. When I am gone, I would like to improve as a player and to do that I have play with other quality players, which I do not have at those clubs."

Posted two (15 post) pages back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

remember evra tried to wind up Suarez at the end of the old trafford game in an attempt to get him in trouble again, inciting the crowd and generally acting the little bollox that he is, well who jumped in there and told evra to get stuffed, it was skrtel and agger, who was fighting for us in every game last year, contesting every decision, yelling, shouting, cajoling, challenging - that was bellamy

if bellamy and agger go we'll have very few what might be described as "hardline" players, lads who'll put their body on the line and fight in every possible way to win - maybe Suarez and Lucas to an extent but we will lack that nasty edge that is essential to compete

we need to sign more bastards, too many neat and tidy players - any suggestions?

amorebieta is meant to be a headcase but you want controlled intimidating aggression and a competitive never say die spirit and a refusal to be mistreated by officials or opposition

maybe leadership is the word

gerrard and carra have been wonderful servants for the club but i'm not sure if they are ruthless enough, they have been criticised for not speaking out about h&g at the time (they were on nice cosy contracts) and not standing up for the foreign players and rafa at times - so as I said a hard bastard with great leadership skills who can unify us and be a pain in the hole to referees and the opposition would be a good catch

And Agger was the one who upturned Torres in the Chelsea match!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The only quotes we have on the situation;
    "He is not injured in any way," Per Steffensen told Politiken.

"Only the club and the manager can answer to why he is not in the squad."

However, Steffensen was quick dismiss suggestions that Agger had handed in a transfer request on Merseyside.

However, he did reveal that the club had yet to offer the player an extension to his current deal, which expires in 2014.

"But the reports of Agger handing in a transfer request are purely nonsense. He is very happy at Liverpool,” he added.

"We have not heard from Liverpool with regards to a contract extension."

This came after the club said he was injured.

I think we both agree the club needs to get its finger out with the PL Champions sniffing around & a failure to do so would be retarded.

That's totally ignoring The Times article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

opr wrote: »

Probably Agger trying to spend some of his new wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

From that ITV link above;
    "There has not been that much movement in or out of Anfield this summer but despite this, Liverpool now constitute around 40% of all stakes that we have taken on the Premier League winner market."

Are people completely insane!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He took 25/1 when some bookmakers are offering as long as 40/1. Not a very bright chap is he...

Blatter wrote: »
    He took 25/1 when some bookmakers are offering as long as 40/1. Not a very bright chap is he...

Forget about the odds - he is simply not bright .

He has a serious case of ouryearitus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Forget about the odds - he is simply not bright .

Even if you looked at it statistically, how many times would you have run this season out (maybe on a really advanced simulator) for us to end up 1st?

What would have to occur?

The plague would have to strike or something. The bookies would be just as well handing out 50,000/1.

"I would not be interested in a team that are not competitive, such as Newcastle or Liverpool. When I am gone, I would like to improve as a player and to do that I have play with other quality players, which I do not have at those clubs."

ouch!

if that's the consensus among promising young players across Europe we are in the sticky stuff

i died a little inside when i read that - being put in the same bracket as newcastle - mega ouch!

hopefully it was made up by some bored lad on twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

quotes supposedly made up by an Arsenal fan.

Delighted that Suarez is tied down.

Class act.

• Advertisement

Delighted about Suarez too.

However as someone pointed out, I don't think it really effects when he'll leave, he had 4 years left anyway.

Delighted about Suarez too.

However as someone pointed out, I don't think it really effects when he'll leave, he had 4 years left anyway.

The addition of a massive buy out clause will help aswell no ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

No book is taking 22k off someone at 40/1 though. Would be tough getting that on even on the exchanges, would take a few weeks probably averaging in. Still, taking 25/1 is like candy from a baby, fools and their money etc etc. Personally i think 40 itself is still a shocking price, we should probably be 50 or 66/1 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Buyout clauses, in general, aren't worth the ink they're printed with tbh.

Doesn't really make a difference tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

why are people getting so excited by this?

He was never going anywhere this Summer and already had a contract with plenty of years left on it

the lack of detail in the piece on the official site says it all, how much have they extended his contract by? nothing about that - could there be clauses in this contract etc?

more spin and pr coz the fans were restless the last few weeks

here's an idea - how about we sign quality players NOT already at the club because as good as Suarez is he can't do it all on his own

getting a bit concerned that the ownership are spinning way too much and are all style and no substance

the pr machine is rolling on but if we want to progress on the pitch we need to sign four or five pronto

in a way it is a sign of how far we have fallen that we are all getting so excited that a player has seemingly committed himself to the club, much much much more than this is required and please fsg/ayre/chang don't bs the fans and at least let us know how long he has signed on for

You quote me, then you go onto post pretty much the same thoughts that I've been expressing over the last god knows how many pages.

You're literally preaching to the choir :D

Even the most negative outlook on the Suarez deal can see that, at the very least, it prolongs the time until we get shafted with regards to selling him.

Personally i think 40 itself is still a shocking price, we should probably be 50 or 66/1 :(
    Would you give me a fiver at 50/1 then?

Doesn't really make a difference tbh.
    Think positive. He is our best player and he is signed up with us for another season.

If he has that much money to throw away he can pay off Joe Cole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Fingers crossed Agger is next or at least on the list.

Fingers crossed Agger is next or at least on the list.

By the sounds of it he could well be on the transfer list. :mad:

Knex. wrote: »
    By the sounds of it he could well be on the transfer list. :mad:
    Nonsense.

Nonsense.

It was somewhat tongue in cheek, but you cannot deny the noises from the club are not the best. We seem to have shown our hand to the market and expressed a willingness to do business with regard to Agger. For god sake, if certain reports are to believed, we've even named our price.

So while he may not be on our official transfer list, nor do I think he would ever end up there, I'm starting to believe he is very much out in the shop window as far as the club are concerned, even if Agger himself does not want to leave.

Perhaps I should of used the tongue face rather than the angry face :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Hope we sign someone this week, or at least a loan or someone has a medical, two weeks away from the start of the league and I want to start getting excited about the season. I have a feeling Borini and Suarez will work well together, would like to see us in for a strong winger/midfielder too. I'd say we'll get at least another 3 more coming in, I just hope it's soon!

djPSB wrote: »
    quotes supposedly made up by an Arsenal fan.

Wouldn't be surprised, it'd be very foolish of Sahin to come out with that regardless of what he thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I think BR has been quick to single out the players that he really wants at the club but openly praising them in the media and making a point of saying he had spoken to them early on.

You can't come out and say X,Y and Z are not wanted and are up for sale or the prices poeple would be willing to pay would drop. In the case of Carroll he's praised him but also said things like 'Andy knows where he stands' etc.!!

He hasn't said much about Agger which isn't a great sign in my mind. This whole injury thing is pretty dodgy too. Will be interesting to see if he plays on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Is there any guarantee that the bookies offering 40/1 were willing to lay that price for such a high stake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If he wants to leave, he'll leave. This way he just gets more money in the interim.

Yes, but at the very least it puts in a stronger position to get a good fee if he does want out. Delighted. Also, makes me lol at a supposed in thread "ITK" who assured us that Suarez was on the way out a couple of months ago...

Suarez: "When you say 'I am tired' it is an excuse. I live for, and love to, play football. I am never tired."

Great quote

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yes, but at the very least it puts in a stronger position to get a good fee if he does want out. Delighted. Also, makes me lol at a supposed in thread "ITK" who assured us that Suarez was on the way out a couple of months ago...

I'd forgotten about that, and also how Suarez was our stumbling block for a new stadium :p

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

He's long been shown up to be a joke tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

He's long been shown up to be a joke tbf

There's an 'ITK' in this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Incidentally, those Sahin quotes are pretty much certainly false. Just pop them into google. Normally, any quote will result in loads of newspaper/sports site hits. That one comes back with nothing but forums.

amiable wrote: »

More of a tinfoil hat, ye've all been brainswashed, clairvoyant tbh.

amiable wrote: »

He pretended to be. It was pretty funny.

macca says it is allen, sahin (loan), tello (loan) and walcott

dempsey may now be on the backburner

rumour has it we'll get rid of doni and get de vries

and a centre-half if agger is sold

all in all, pretty average, and that's even if we get all those in, the two loans are not secured either with other clubs interested in both tello and sahin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

"#LFC in negotiations for Agger's renewal since Monday- not sure what to make of this. Could be an exercise to raise price, or as security." @jeremy_lfc, who knows his onions as I recall.

http://bit.ly/MrjILO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

macca says it is allen, sahin (loan), tello (loan) and walcott

dempsey may now be on the backburner

rumour has it we'll get rid of doni and get de vries

and a centre-half if agger is sold

all in all, pretty average, and that's even if we get all those in, the two loans are not secured either with other clubs interested in both tello and sahin

Would be surprised if more than 50% of those targets were secured.

Don't see Sahin or Tello coming here.

This summer smells of a small budget anyway, with Rodgers talking of the loan market even after lightening the wage-bill considerably.

Unfortunately the hangover of last summers purchases is effecting us I feel.

1) In the amount of money being made available.

2) In the prices being quoted to us for players. Other clubs see what we paid last summer and say 'Why should we settle for less?'

Very difficult task for Rodgers (seemingly), I hope his detractors recognise this.

Last summer was crucial and Comolli/Dalglish let us down big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sappy404 wrote: »
    "#LFC in negotiations for Agger's renewal since Monday- not sure what to make of this. Could be an exercise to raise price, or as security." @jeremy_lfc, who knows his onions as I recall.

http://bit.ly/MrjILO

Who are these people on Twitter?

Could it not just be an exercise to keep him at the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

A guy on rawk who posted about Suarez signing an extension before it was announced this evening has said there is a contract on the table for agger

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement