Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Leiva wrote: »
    I see what your saying but I think he would be worth the risk on a loan deal.

He has the talent but I think the attitude needs to change. If he could get a regular place in the team he just might come good, and if he did he would be a great addition .

Wasn't aware he had an attitude problem?

Id be on favour of getting him. He's probably an improvement on what we have and could strengthen our first XI. And anyway we need numbers in this position badly.

A loan deal or anything less than £10m and I'd be happy enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

opr wrote: »
    Just doing a search when we signed Suarez. Nearly every article says he earned around £35k p/w at Ajax and we at least double this when we signed him. The club leaking this rubbish about how they have given him this mammoth increase in wages really is treating the fans as fools.

Opr

The club didnt leak anything. Journalists spouting **** about his wages.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was pretty sure I read at the time that Suarez and Carroll both were on about 80k pw when they signed. 25k is a pure nonsense, but I wouldn't presume it was leaked by the club although they would be the only ones along with the Suarez camp, who would know the actual details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If we were to sell Agger to City we would be mental not to try for Johnson on loan. I have my doubts about him too, but we are really light on quality in the final third
    i'd much prefer to try get Tello on loan from Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I like Adam Johnson. I'd be very happy if we could get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Barrett, by the way, is also reporting the 35k to 100k increase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Strong posters gonna post strong

he-man-wink1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Not everything reported is leaked by the club
    Melion wrote: »

Fair enough I'm far more cynical. While print media may be of a very poor standard these days why 'The Times' would run with such an obvious piece of fantasy and a completely ridiculous sounding figure without it having being provided for them I find incredibly strange.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I am very pessimistic about the coming season. I worry about the Carroll situation which i believe has been handled badly. Blind Freddy could have seen that he doesn't suit Rodgers and would be sold but they didn't have to shout it from the rooftops. They didn't play it well.

Now i think Carroll has something and has the potential to be a success at Liverpool in the current set up. But i question his attitude, and seeing as though we clearly don't want him (insofaras we would buy other players that are more favourable with the fee), I'm afraid he might mentally have had with the club and we will never see him do his best for the club.

I may be completely under selling the guys attitude and i hope i am, but it is questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Barrett, by the way, is also reporting the 35k to 100k increase

That was part of the reason I posted as lots of his information comes from the club.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Wasnt Merieles on something like that when he first signed, with the promise of an increase after a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Kess73 wrote: »
    To be honest if the transfer window ends well for the club, then nobody will care about who was right or wrong because everyone will be happy things turned out better than expected or as hoped.

great point...

i think sometimes we forget that though we are all disagreeing on certain things, we all support LFC...we all just wan't out club to succeed...whether decisions are right or wrong, these decisions are in the hands of FSG and Rodgers for now...this is why I try to ban myself from getting involved during transfer windows...

but let's all remember that come kick off, we all wear red, and we all want the same thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

daithijjj wrote: »

Did he just call Rodgers a cnut at 0.14-0.21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I had in my head that both Suarez and Carroll were on around 50k when they signed.

Glad he signed the contract anyway, gives us more time to sort the club, and the squad, out before we have to consider selling him or all the shite that comes with a dwindling contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Think of all the shirt sales in uraguay!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We all know signing contracts means fk all in the grand scheme. They are just an insurance policy so you dont get shafted.

Real intent for the club to get into top 4 to me means signing new players capable of getting you into top 4. When i see that intent i will be more than happy to declare it.

Yes, but this is under the new manager, the club didn't have to do it, it's significant, well more so than twitter or journalist gossip on Agger!

Also where is this stuff about 35k a week coming from? I had read something like 50/60k, very low wages for him but nothing like 35k. If some are thinking the club leaked that well it's tin foil hat time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Isn't Paul Tomkins now employed by the club again?

Opr

Doesn't make his written diarrhoea any more credible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

K-9 wrote: »
    Yes, but this is under the new manager, the club didn't have to do it, it's significant, well more so than twitter or journalist gossip on Agger!

Also where is this stuff about 35k a week coming from? I had read something like 50/60k, very low wages for him but nothing like 35k. If some are thinking the club leaked that well it's tin foil hat time.

To be honest with you, i find it more significant in respect of the fact they could sell him for top dollar and be done with all the nonsense from last season. At least that hasn't happened. Kind of ironic he signed new deal day after Standard Chartered news :pac:

No idea where the 35k is from, havent really spent time on the interwebz today, presume its from someone who is deemed not full of it.

Although i do believe a lot of the players that came in under Kenny are on far less wages than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Think of all the shirt sales in uraguay!!

Is actually a shame that Uraguay has a smaller population that Ireland as Suarez is the kind of player that had he been from a country with a massive population, he could have been a gateway player to a new market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Melion wrote: »
    Just doing a search when we signed Suarez. Nearly every article says he earned around £35k p/w at Ajax and we at least double this when we signed him. The club leaking this rubbish about how they have given him this mammoth increase in wages really is treating the fans as fools.

Opr

Thats just a rumour you are spreading

It would be very naive for people to believe the club dont leak any info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

amiable wrote: »

Especially these crafty feckers (FSG).

To be honest with you, i find it more significant in respect of the fact they could sell him for top dollar and be done with all the nonsense from last season. At least that hasn't happened. Kind of ironic he signed new deal day after Standard Chartered news :pac:

I don't think we've reached the level of selling our biggest star yet. I'd be worried that the consistency between the Carroll and Agger gossip is a bid of over £20 Million or so suggests Rodgers is under pressure to raise money. It's too early to be going ape yet though, we could end up with Agger having signed a new contract, a few posters getting who jumped the gun on the usual new contract speculation, spending £30 Million or so and getting rid of big earners at the club.

Speaking of which? Any talk of Cole?
    No idea where the 35k is from, havent really spent time on the interwebz today, presume its from someone who is deemed not full of it.

Although i do believe a lot of the players that came in under Kenny are on far less wages than others.

Yep, but I'd expect that as a minimum, Carroll and Henderson both young, Adam from Blackpool, and Enrique from Newcastle, newly promoted. As we well know, Cole and Maxi were on big wages becauses they were "free".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

amiable wrote: »

Indeed it would, which is why I didn't post that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

But I want to go ape :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

700 MORE GAMES!!!

488355_10151159741917238_271999110_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That transaction was private, I was assured.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We got Borrini for £10m

This is really ****ing simple folks. As always:

NO BRITISH PLAYERS

**** Joe Allen. Don't want him. Swansea can fist themselves. Go elsewhere with our money. Young British players are never as good as counterparts in other countries. This is a waste of time and money.

POTD AINEC!!! lol

700 MORE GAMES!!!

488355_10151159741917238_271999110_n.jpg

It's his weekly salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'm hoping Xabi can push Sahin towards us. I'd rather get him than Allen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

hefferboi wrote: »
    I'm hoping Xabi can push Sahin towards us. I'd rather get him than Allen.

Rodgers friendship with murhinio could really help us too.

I can't see it making a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Vicxas wrote: »
    Rodgers friendship with murhinio could really help us too.

Men like Jose Mourinho don't have friends.

ush wrote: »

You never know, he could send some youngsters who need first team exposure our way on loan.

Allen is a signing for the next 5 years or more. Madrid want Sahin back in 12 months, so i wouldn't prioritize him over Allen. I could live with them both

You never know, he could send some youngsters who need first team exposure our way on loan.

No thanks. We aren't that desperate that we need Real Madrid youths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No thanks. We aren't that desperate that we need Real Madrid youths
    We should only take loan players if there is an option to buy. We are too big a club to become some one elses incubator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

We should only take loan players if there is an option to buy. We are too big a club to become some one elses incubator.

We should take any loan players that could improve our first 11 in the short term . We're "too big a club" to be playing in the Europa League.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Is anyone else concerned about the Standard Chartered news?

With their stock tumbling and the kind of allegations against them, if they lose their US banking license they will probably die off or be bought over.

I doubt we got our 80m sponsorship up front.

spockety wrote: »
    Is anyone else concerned about the Standard Chartered news?

With their stock tumbling and the kind of allegations against them, if they lose their US banking license they will probably die off or be bought over.

I doubt we got our 80m sponsorship up front.

Depends if we can cancel the contract and expect to get as high a deal or a higher deal elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

http://www.eplindex.com/17270/daniel-agger-style-substance-opta-stats-review.html

Daniel Agger, More Style Than Substance? Opta Stats Review

Daniel Agger is a fantastic football player. Daniel Agger is slick and stylish on the ball. Daniel Agger, some say, is a modern-day Alan Hansen. But Daniel Agger gets injured, and gets injured a lot. The speculation is, Man City might be willing to pay £20 million plus for him. So the question is; does it make sense, financially or football-wise, to keep a player who in the last four seasons has started on average 18.5 leagues games per year? Furthermore, and a more pertinent question, is Daniel Agger more style over substance?
    As I said above Agger averaged 18.5 starts per year over the last 4 seasons, Skrtel 26.75 starts and Carragher 30.5 starts. When you break that down into percentages of games played, it looks even paltrier. Percentages of games started: Agger = 48.68% | Skrtel = 70.39% | Carragher = 80.26%.

TimeOnPitch.jpgAverage Time On Pitch - Last 4 Seasons

Based on time played alone, there is a serious question mark over whether you should keep a 28 year old player who is averaging playing less than half your league games each season. That is before we even consider football ability. But what of that football ability, compared to Carragher and Skrtel how do Agger’s statistics match up over these last four seasons?
    Daniel Agger is not what you might call a battling centre back. He is not the type of defender that will fly into tackles, throw himself around the pitch and bully an opposition centre forward into submission. He is a defender who likes to stay on his feet, jockey a player, trying to nick the ball from him, or stand back and read the game and make a well-timed interception. Having said that let us take a look at his “battling accuracies”.

BattlePercentages.jpgBattling Percentages - Average Last 4 Seasons

Remember these are averaged out over the last four Premiership seasons. The cells in red are those statistics which come out top on a certain row, with yellow being the worst statistic. It’s quite evident that Martin Skrtel has been our best battling defender over the last four years. He tops every statistic bar ‘Ground Duel Win %’. But we’re more concerned about Agger in this piece. And although we all ready mentioned he’s not that type of defender, nevertheless, it’s surprising he doesn’t come out top in at least one metric, particularly the final two metrics. In fact, only 56.48% of his total clearances are accurate, which is a lower percentage than both Carragher and Skrtel. For a player who’s known for being stylish and cultured you’d expect him to be more accurate in those last two stats on the table.
    Of course, there’s more to being stylish and cultured than getting your clearances accurate. Passing accuracy being one. And as a ‘passing defender’ you’d expect him to be influential in those areas. How many times have we seen Daniel Agger striding from the back with the ball at his feet, gliding into the opposition half and slaloming between opposing players. And how many times have we seen Daniel Agger spray the ball out wide with a 60 yard pass to a team-mate hugging the touchline. A lot you might think. It is the quintessential Daniel Agger image burned into your brain. Well it doesn’t happen as often as you may think.

Passing.jpgPassing - Average Over Last 4 Seasons

Agger is not the most accurate passer of our centre halves in focus, that crown goes to Skrtel with an 83.25% passing accuracy over the last four seasons. Neither is Agger our centre half who is most accurate with his long balls, again that is Skrtel with a 68% accuracy. And what about Agger striding from the back into the opposition half and setting up lightning attacks? Well Jaime Carragher has passed more often in the attacking half than Agger over the last four years. Attempting an attacking half pass every 4.88 minutes compared to Agger’s 5.31 minutes. So far, from both tables, and out of nine metrics analysed Agger only comes out (joint) top on one of them. In a strange statistical quirk, all three centre backs have an identical minute per pass attempt rate. I ask again; Daniel Agger; is he more style over substance?
    From our ‘battling’ table above we know Agger is not the most accurate with his tackles, ground duels and clearances etc. But what of his influence in this area? How often, per time spent on the pitch does he attempt one of these battling statistics? For a player more known for his passing ability than getting down and dirty with opponents you’d expect not very often. Well again, you’d be surprised.

MinsPerBattle.jpgMinutes Per Battling Metrics - Average Last 4 Seasons

Jaime Carragher certainly might be showing his age here, taking longer to be involved in 7 out of the 8 metrics anaylsed on the table. However, Daniel Agger has plenty of red in his column. You’d expect him to attempt an interception more often than his colleagues, as he does read the game from the back very well. Last year Agger recorded an interception every 36.29 minutes, of all central defenders to start 19 games or more last season only Roger Johnson (33.66), Antolin Alcaraz (33.45), Sylvain Distin (33.09), James Morrison (32.80) and Laurent Koscielny (31.58) made interceptions more often. But perhaps you wouldn’t expect Agger to be involved in ground duels, aerial duels and challenges more often than both Skrtel and Carragher, but he is. A little more substance than style from Daniel Agger here.
    Along with passing statistics, what else would you expect Agger to thrive on, given the type of player he is. Possession; how often does Agger lose possession and win possession?

MinsPerPossess.jpgMinutes Per Possession Won/Lost

Agger won possession back last season in the defensive third every 30.15 minutes. Both Carragher and Skrtel won possession back in this area more often given the amount of time each spent on the pitch. Taking into account that Agger’s win percentages in ground duels and tackles etc (a big part of how you may win possession back as a defender) weren’t quite high maybe this is not so surprising. Agger comes out tops in the final metric, only losing possession every 9.82 minutes last season, compared to Jaime Carragher who lost possession every 8.33 minutes. An ability which could come in very useful in a Brendan Rodgers possession-based first eleven.
    Out of 18 metrics analysed in the above tables, Daniel Agger came out a clear winner in 5 of that 18. Four of those five metrics were what you might call ‘battling statistics’, and referred to how often he was involved in them compared to his colleagues, the other metric was possession related. Skrtel was a clear winner in 10 of those stats measured, and Jaime Carragher coming out top in two, the other statistic (pass attempt per minute) was jointly won by all three.
    None of Agger’s ‘accuracies’ were anything to get excited about, passing, long ball, ground duels, tackles, aerial duels, clearances etc were all mediocre to say the least. However, he did excel in minutes per ground duels, aerial duels, interceptions and challenges.
    Taking all that into account, if you never seen Daniel Agger play, and you looked at those statistics, you’d determine he was more a battling centre half than a ball-playing centre half. So, is there a myth around this notion? And is Daniel Agger more style than substance? Or rather, more substance than style, based on these findings? And is it worth turning down £20 million plus for a player who had averaged starting 18.5 games per season over the last four seasons? You decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

brendan rodgers press conference on at the moment for Gomel match?

Lucas ready for 'special day'

Lucas Leiva admits his first appearance at Anfield after returning from a lengthy injury will be a special moment in his career as he savours his comeback to fitness.

The Brazil midfielder suffered a serious knee injury in November last year which ended his 2011-12 campaign prematurely.

But three substitute appearances during the Reds' tour of North America preceded another cameo from the bench during the first leg of the Europa League third-round qualifier against FC Gomel in Belarus, and Lucas now cannot wait to feature in front of his own fans again.

"I think it will be a special moment for me when I go to warm up at Anfield or if I come on because I have been out a long time and watching from the stands," the 25-year-old told Liverpoolfc.com.

"It will be a special day for me and I hope it will be another step for me. I'm looking forward to meeting the fans again and playing at Anfield. It's where I really feel strong and comfortable and where I had very good performances before the injury. I can't wait to meet the fans again."

Lucas admitted to slight nerves about returning to competitive action against Gomel last Thursday but the fans' favourite is ecstatic to be in contention for a first-team spot once again.

He continued: "It was the first official game I was involved in, and after a long time I am just delighted to be back and happy that everything went really well with the rehab. I am just happy to be able to play again and be with the team every day in training.

"I played three friendlies, I know it's not the same but I had an idea - especially in training sessions - that I could feel I was ready to tackle and the knee was fine. So I tried to take out of my head the bad things that could happen in the game and just try to get confidence. I think it's just a question of time, minutes and training sessions."

In total, Lucas spent eight months recuperating from the injury, which was picked up during a League Cup victory over Chelsea, and he provided a fascinating insight into his battle to recover.

"The first stage is more physically because when you can't do much and you want to try to do simple things like walking and bending and get your strength back," he explained.

"But afterwards, the stage I am at now, it is more mental than physical because it comes into your head sometimes that it could happen again. But I have been training for three or four weeks already and I am just happy the way everything is going and trying to enjoy every single minute."

New boss Brendan Rodgers has been effusive in his praise of Lucas since being appointed as manager, recently describing the Brazilian as 'the ultimate professional' - and the midfielder was keen to return the compliment.

Lucas said of Rodgers: "We can feel that he is really excited to work for Liverpool and to be appointed as Liverpool manager, he is very happy that it has happened to him.

"We just have to show the same attitude that he is giving for us every single day in the sessions, trying to explain the way he wants us to play. We hope he will have a successful season - that means the players will have a successful season and everything will be perfect for the manager, the players and the fans."

The first opportunity for Lucas to make a playing return to Anfield is the second leg of the Reds' third-round qualifier against Gomel on Thursday, and the midfielder is anticipating the match for more than one reason.

"European nights at Anfield are always special. Unfortunately last season we couldn't play any European games so I think it will be a special night and the first game of the season as well," Lucas enthused.

"There's a new manager, the fans will be excited to meet him, and Fabio Borini is a new signing. There are a lot of good things for the fans to see and I think it will be special. I hope we can get a result and start our record at Anfield this season well."

Lucas also made a point of paying tribute to Jamie Carragher, who made his 700th appearance for the Reds during the first leg against Gomel, and looked ahead to a looming landmark of his own.

He said: "We were talking about it and it is just phenomenal what he has achieved. 700 games for Liverpool - I don't think many players will reach that number of games. Well done to Jamie, he has been great for many years and he is still involved in many games and important games.

"We can see that he still wants to win and sometimes we think he is not the age that he is because he wants to win and train hard. It is a privilege to have him around and try to get closer to him, but I don't think many players will beat him soon.

"I would have achieved 200 games last season if I had been fit all season. I'm looking forward to reaching my 200th appearance and it is great to have that number of games for an important club like Liverpool. I'm looking forward to playing many more."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

gafferino wrote: »
    brendan rodgers press conference on at the moment for Gomel match?

SO FAR ...

Beller looks set to go . club in discussion with Cardiff for his return:o

There was interest in taking Suarez " I seen the FAX" BR

Rodgers on Agger: 'Every player has his price. Daniel is a top player, loves the club. But you can never say never.' :oX2

Brendan Rodgers: 'to walk out at Anfield for my first game will be an incredible privilege, but my focus will be to win.' :)
    Jim Boardman ‏@JimBoardman Looks like there are knives out already for Rodgers. Didn't take long.

Brendan Rodgers: 'the intention is to bring in a few more players. I'd love them to be here sooner rather than later.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Bye bye Agger.

F*ck.

budgemook wrote: »
    Bye bye Agger.

Seems to be all but certain now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ah lads all it means is that every player have their price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Ah lads all it means is that every player have their price.

Except Suarez who he's tied down, which he could have done with Agger is he'd wanted to.

• Advertisement

Commence the back tracking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement