Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Leiva wrote: »
    Beller looks set to go . club in discussion with Cardiff for his return:o
    If Bellamy wants to leave, then we can hardly stop him. While he was our best wide player last season, he is 33, injury prone and not remotely top 4 anymore.
    Rodgers on Agger: 'Every player has his price. Daniel is a top player, loves the club. But you can never say never.' redface.gifX2
    All Rodgers is saying is that if another club makes a silly offer for one of our players, then we would be even sillier not to let him leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

If Bellamy wants to leave, then we can hardly stop him. While he was our best wide player last season, he is 33, injury prone and not remotely top 4 anymore.

All Rodgers is saying is that if another club makes a silly offer for one of our players, then we would be even sillier not to let him leave.

Come on Francie. Agger is out the door and if he doesn't move this season he'll be unsettled by the fact that we are willing to ship him out to city. Really disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

When questioned about Skrtel Rodgers said something along the lines of 'we'll do everything we can to keep him'. When questioned about Agger he says every player has his price. He's saying he's happy to sell Agger at what other clubs are likely to pay (20m+) but wouldn't sell Skrtel for what other clubs are likely to pay (10m).

I'm not sure how I feel about it. If the manager needs funds he needs funds but why the hell do we need to sell Agger for them.

The owners should be injecting some cash for God's sake! They've barely spent a penny since they came on players or a stadium. I know Kenny and Comoli spent alot (and in doing so made it seemingly impossible for Liverpool to get a bargain ever again) but the sales and removal of wages offset that spending.

This feckin tiki taka better work. And Rodgers better bring in some decent replacements. Agger for say Adam Johnson, a decent defender and some change I guess I could live with.

EDIT: And it better not be a straight swap Agger for feckin Joe Allen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Brandon further cements his status as a yes man.....wonder if he looked at the camera and said 'Hi Roberto Mancini' as he sold Agger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I really don't want Agger sold, but I really really don't want Adam Johnson at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Ah lads all it means is that every player have their price.

As honest as it may be ..its a fúcking horrible thing to say !

Brendan Rodgers just went down in my estimations big time .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Is it true that Agger has only played 47% of games for the club since arriving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think if we got £22m plus for Agger we'd be mad not to take it.

He's good, but he's 27 and injury prone.

Don't see anything wrong with Rogers comments at all. He's right: every player has his price.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

At least we have Carragher ready to step into Agger's shoes. That's something to look forward to for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

:(:(

Shock. Horror. It's true.

The worst thing about this is, if City don't meet our valuation, Agger will likely tell us to shove any new contract offer up our arses (he'd be right to) & then we're forced to sell at a knock down price or lose for **** all in Jan/Summer.

Horrendously handled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

As honest as it may be ..its a fúcking horrible thing to say !

Brendan Rodgers just went down in my estimations big time .

Seems to be the same as the situation with Carroll, we will sell for a big price. I suppose it's just a reversal of what players do to clubs all of the time. It's certainly unorthodox to say it in public though and you'd wonder what it will do to the loyalty of the players. Or maybe we're just naive about the loyalty of players...I should know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

yeah he is right when saying every player has his price. Doesnt stop us being disappointed if Agger leaves. Maybe a couple of season ago people wouldnt be as annoyed but I thought last season he seemed to play more than he had done in previous seasons. I thought maybe he had turned a corner with injuries (I know he missed some games).
    Just dont want to see Carragher back in there on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Fcuking joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Jesus this is depressing, everyday the only thing I hear is that we are selling players and the only player we look like signing is Allen :(

Selling Agger just means that we'll have to replace him in this window which looks unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think if we got £22m plus for Agger we'd be mad not to take it.

He's good, but he's 27 and injury prone.

Don't see anything wrong with Rogers comments at all. He's right every player has his price.

He's right but it doesn't need to be said. Managers usually say it when they're actively trying to sell a player or when they have become resigned to losing a player. Oh and managers like Roy Hodgson say it about their best players as well. How would you feel if he said it about Suarez?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm wondering if Agger knows how much time he could spend on the bench (even when fit!)
    at Maine Road (or whatever its called). Like I said last night at 27 the Dane is at his premium fiscal worth, if he stayed got a fresh contract the next offer would be about 8 million (in 2012 terms). Who is out there to come in at say 10-12 million? cos I'm pretty sure Rodgers can see that Carra is no replacement.

C'mon lads...players aren't that sensitive.

They all know that they are commodities and they all have a price.

CL7 wrote: »
    He's right but it doesn't need to be said. Managers usually say it when they're actively trying to sell a player or when they have become resigned to losing a player. Oh and managers like Roy Hodgson say it as well. How would you feel if he said it about Suarez?
    I would be surprised if the deal for Agger isn't already done.

I would be surprised if the deal for Agger isn't already done.

I would

Mr Alan wrote: »

The worst thing about this is, if City don't meet our valuation, Agger will likely tell us to shove any new contract offer up our arses (he'd be right to) & then we're forced to sell at a knock down price or lose for **** all in Jan/Summer.

Horrendously handled.

What the fúck are they up to ??

Jeez its either Rodgers is a renegade or we just aint looking close enough to see the puppet strings .

When ever did you hear the likes of Ferguson , Mourinho , Wenger etc saying " every player has a price" ???
    Everyone knows Wenger sells a top player at their peak/age to maximise price, but ta fúck would he ever come out and say it at the risk or detriment of the rest of the players in the squad.

Its an absolutely horrible thing to say .

If he looses the squad and we continue the form seen at the end of the last season and this pre-season then good luck .

I am so concerned now .

/rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

God this is a horrible feeling....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I am dissapoint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Horrendously handled.

All I'll say on the counterside is that if a manager keeps quiet and just repeats 'not for sale' ad nauseam and then a sale happens, some would be out saying we were tricked/fooled/betrayed/lied to etc.

Still, on balance, I'd rather feel like that and get the best price.

noodler wrote: »
    All I'll say on the counterside is that if a manager keeps quiet and just repeats 'not for sale' ad nauseam and then a sale happens, some would be out saying we were tricked/fooled/betrayed/lied to etc.

Still, on balance, I'd rather feel like that and get the best price.
    As long as we go into the season with Suarez, Reina and Lucas I will be happy. Agger with his injury record was always a nice to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Lads, how about we hold the panic until when it happens

As long as we go into the season with Suarez, Reina and Lucas I will be happy. Agger with his injury record was always a nice to have.

Mate are you for real ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

People won't like to hear this obviously, but Rodgers has handled the Agger and Carroll situations poorly - like a manager a bit out of his depth tbh.

Kristian Walsh on twitter mentioned this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Alderweireld yesterday. Kristian has said he new nothing of the Agger story but says he would be a good replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Agger is so much more than nice to have though.

The team is always better with him in it. Just think about the partnership Skrtel and Carragher have. Think of the 2nd half of last season for a full season! :(

• Advertisement

So you'd rather have 3 world class players as opposed to 4? Because there's not a hope in hell we'll replace Agger with anyone as good.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    People won't like to hear this obviously, but Rodgers has handled the Agger and Carroll situations poorly - like a manager a bit out of his depth tbh.

Agreed. He needs to learn quickly how to deal with stuff like this.

Everything else has been fine but the Carroll and Agger things have been disappointing.

What depth is required to say if a player is for sale or not?

Like Kenny and the Suarez incident? But Kenny is a premier league winning manager.

Mate are you for real ?
    Even without Agger for large chunks of last season, we still had the third best defensive record in the league. What crippled us last season (besides the woodwork!) was our ability going forward, in particular, our lack of creativity in the middle of the park. If we sell Agger to get a quality creative player who can create/score, then losing Agger is acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Selling Agger is a step back for the team, no matter how much money we get for him. As we seem to be struggling to attract any big players to the club at the moment, selling one of our top players now would be a ludicrous piece of footballing business

tok9 wrote: »
    Agger is so much more than nice to have though.

The team is always better with him in it. Just think about the partnership Skrtel and Carragher have. Think of the 2nd half of last season for a full season! :(
    Carragher will remain first choice backup.

I believe Coates' time has come.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Like Kenny and the Suarez incident? But Kenny is a premier league winning manager.

Albeit only an educated guess, but I'd imagine the staunch support shown for Suarez by the club is a part of the reason he is so happy at the club & happy to sign up to another contract. I said as much throughout the affair that it would help us keep him while we're in the wilderness.

People trying to excuse the potential sale of Agger are living in dreamworld.
    Carragher will remain first choice backup.

I believe Coates' time has come.

:rolleyes:

Coates for Agger is a huge downgrade. Why are we downgrading the only part of our team where we were set? Do we not have enough work to do in the transfer market already? :confused:

The only people living in dreamworld are those who think that we can afford to drop £20-30 million on a player without selling first.

Albeit only an educated guess, but I'd imagine the staunch support shown for Suarez by the club is a part of the reason he is so happy at the club & happy to sign up to another contract. I said as much throughout the affair that it would help us keep him while we're in the wilderness.

:rolleyes:

Coates for Agger is a huge downgrade. Why are we downgrading the only part of our team where we were set? Do we not have enough work to do in the transfer market already? :confused:
    I'm not excusing the sale of Agger, I'm actually fairly pis5ed off. But just thought its a bit hypocritical defending Kenny but calling Rodgers out of his depth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think he's handled the Agger situation well. We have a price for him and we won't go lower. Far better than claiming he's to important to leave and dragging it out and then selling up on the last day of the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Crap, we have no clout in the transfer market at all. I think most of us feel that Agger is worth more and Carroll and the likes of Henderson less but we always end up on the losing side of these things.

We really didn't need a new manager, we need somebody who is a proper businessman who can get us back into making good deals and spotting young talent, not paying 20 million for it all the time. Seriously Arsenal have done it right, the article yesterday that somebody quoted got me thinking a lot. Most of Europe must be hoping we are interested in one of their 'average' players because they will make a fortune out of it because we love to blow money away. So stupid.

The club has to set up a procedure which looks at players coming in and out and places a cap on the amount that we are going to spend per player. I would also say stay away from the English players...plenty in the youth team there. Focus on foreign talent...business wise it makes sense because their value really does explode if they are good. I have no problem bringing in young talent, that is the way the sport is going but let's not pay through the nose for it. If every player has his price then we should have out price too and several options available if that option proves to expensive.

Don't sign Allen, let him get pissed off with the club and let them come to us to sell him when he hands in a request, bloody hell what a nightmare. Somebody wake me up when it's all over.

I have LOTS of confidence in Coates, I think his physicality and his decent technique on the ball will endear him to the Rodgers system. This time next season, he will be one of the two first choice players we have at the back.

The only people living in dreamworld are those who think that we can afford to drop £20-30 million on a player without selling first.

I'm not expecting us to drop £30m on a player? :confused:

However, we've cut out wage bill by in excess of £15m already this season, combined with a few quid come in from player sales. Combined with getting back into Europe & the few quid that brings.

After doing that, I expect us not to be forced to sell our best players if we want to buy in any other players.

I have LOTS of confidence in Coates, I think his physicality and his decent technique on the ball will endear him to the Rodgers system. This time next season, he will be one of the two first choice players we have at the back.

I quite like him too. But Agger is one of the best defenders in the league.

I don't nescessarily disagree with your view on Coates place in the team this time next year, however, I'd also think if we carry on the way we're going we'll have finished between 7th & 12th in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I think the real damage was done when we spent €100m+ on a pile of crap last Summer. That has made the owners very wary and that's fair enough. We are seeing the repercussions of it now unfortunately.

http://www.football-italia.net/22746/city-want-kjaer

Former Roma loanee Simon Kjaer could reject a return to Italy in favour of joining Manchester City, claim reports.

Kjaer spent last season on loan at the Stadio Olimpico but a permanent deal didn’t follow, leading to the likes of Milan and Fiorentina both reportedly considering a move this summer.

However, they could be beaten by Roberto Mancini’s City, who are considering Kjaer if they cannot complete a deal for first-choice target Daniel Agger of Liverpool.

The young Dane was thought to be certain to leave Wolfsburg permanently due to his fractious relationship with Coach Felix Magath.

However, with reports suggesting that the pair have now patched up their differences, the player’s departure has become more complex.

Lille and Malaga are also reportedly in the running for the defender’s signature too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Even without Agger for large chunks of last season, we still had the third best defensive record in the league. What crippled us last season (besides the woodwork!) was our ability going forward, in particular, our lack of creativity in the middle of the park. If we sell Agger to get a quality creative player who can create/score, then losing Agger is acceptable.
    One of the reasons we had such a decent defensive record was because Agger was available for larger chunks than usual for it.

It's simple - Agger is an extremely talented CB - selling him would be a huge mistake

It seems to me that Rodgers is desperate to get a player in . I don't know who that player is but their value seems to be around the £20 mil mark ... I am just hoping its not Allen for that price .

Why do I think this ? ...
    He was saying the exact same thing about Carroll and trying to drum up a sale. now that interest has cooled we now seem to be stuck with him so Rodgers has moved his sights to Agger to get the funds.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there is only one or two players on our radar and be prepared that one of those could be a very costly Joe Allen :o

However, we've cut out wage bill by in excess of £15m already this season, combined with a few quid come in from player sales. Combined with getting back into Europe & the few quid that brings.

After doing that, I expect us not to be forced to sell our best players if we want to buy in any other players.
    Europa League money is insignificant, the money brought in from transfer fees is barely £2 million. It's pretty clear we either make do with what we have or sell to buy. Given our performances last year, it seems clear to me that we need to bring in attacking talent, if selling Agger means we can do that, then so be it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement