Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No question the Comolli/Dalglish **** up last summer has led to this summers tightening if a tightening it is (I'm reluctant to be definitive until Sept 1st).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

So we're blaming Dalglish for us seemingly pimping out our best defender?

Sweet as :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mr Alan wrote: »

Seems amiable has a bit of competition :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No, we're blaming Kenny for spunking money on absolute ****e.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

But what if downing/Henderson etc have really good seasons?

I wasnt impressed with the new signings last year but 1 season is not enough to judge them.... also they are under a new manager this year and may perform to a higher standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

mike65 wrote: »
    No question the Comolli **** up last summer

Whenever I think of Comolli I see an image of this for some reason ....

216173.png

He might just pass Souness in the "how to wreck a club" table .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Can you not see how the two events may be related?

You really have become a joke contributor! Is there nothing you won't twist
    to suit your Pro-Dalglish agenda?

Clubs have to live within their means and get the best for the money they spend, the madness of Carroll/Henderson/Downing/etc has come back to haunt us big time.

You'll hate every minute of the next 2-3 years I suspect. The clubs whole profile is going to be changed with every top wage, familiar first team name bar Suarez gone by summer 2015 at the latest I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

jonny24ie wrote: »

I wasnt impressed with the new signings last year but 1 season is not enough to judge them.... also they are under a new manager this year and may perform to a higher standard.

A £20 million standard? I can't see that happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

for what it's worth i'd be more upset if we lost skertel. Agger misses at least half a season each year and that will only get worse the older he gets. I hope that all of the potential agger money will go on a reliable replacement.

jonny24ie wrote: »

We could play the what if game all day. I'm sure they will preform to a higher standard, honestly don't think they could even play any worse than last year.

Which should be of no relevance to whether or not the Americans have faith in Rodgers to bring in top players? Isn't the likely the main reason Kenny lost his job? :confused:

I'm not looking for us to be spending £100m. Nothing of the sort. But there is money required for us to continue to try & get where we need to be, if we have to generate that money from here on out by selling our best players, we'll get nowhere.

I'm not quite sure why I have to even argue this point, no one in here thought this is the position we'd be in this summer. Yet, thus far, it appears that's exactly where we are.

Actually how much of their money have the owners spent on players to date ?

You'll hate every minute of the next 2-3 years I suspect. The clubs whole profile is going to be changed with every top wage, familiar first team name bar Suarez gone by summer 2015 at the latest I reckon.

Are you effectively saying that we're going to just resign ourselves to midtable?

And Suarez will be long gone by Summer 2015. Delusional to think otherwise.

Which should be of no relevance to whether or not the Americans have faith in Rodgers to bring in top players? Isn't the likely the main reason Kenny lost his job? :confused:

I'm not looking for us to be spending £100m. Nothing of the sort. But there is money required for us to continue to try & get where we need to be, if we have to generate that money from here on out by selling our best players, we'll get nowhere.

I'm not quite sure why I have to even argue this point, no one in here thought this is the position we'd be in this summer. Yet, thus far, it appears that's exactly where we are.

I'm not saying I agree with the argument, just pointing out what they meant. We disagree on the selling of Agger though but we've been through that already. Also the main reason Kenny lost his job because he was horrendous in the league.

• Advertisement

As little as possible! They were never "sugar daddies" and didn't sell themselves as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

BR on Agger: "They are at a premium top centre backs, he's one of the leading players in Europe. Is he a player I want to lose? No he's not"

Srijandeep Das ‏@jeremy_LFC
    Rodgers suggesting that his hands are tied: "From a footballing perspective, do I want to lose Daniel? No. But I am a realist."
    Peter McDowall ‏@Petermcdowall10
    BR on Agger: "They are at a premium top centre backs, he's one of the leading players in Europe. Is he a player I want to lose? No he's not"

Retweeted by Jim Boardman
    Rodgers: "We've made enquiries, there are a small number of talented players that are available on loan. There's a lot of work going on."

Yikes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

But there is money required for us to continue to try & get where we need to be, if we have to generate that money from here on out by selling our best players, we'll get nowhere.
    Three years ago Newcastle United were relegated and the fans were screaming for the blood of the owners. Now look where they are.

We need to give FSG and Rodgers a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol, people will really try and rationalise every step backwards.

'Kenny spent loads on junk last season so FSG are now wary of spending more, fair enough'

THAT IS LOSER TALK

You are basically saying 'FSG gave it a bash for a couple of windows, didn't succeed so have now quit and are just trying to cut our expenditure so we'll be a profitable mid table club'

Have FSG quit? You guys certainly seem to have given up. Shame on you all.

• Advertisement

For those who might like to take solace in the youth of Liverpool the NextGen 2012-13 squad is here - http://www.nextgenseries.com/Clubs/Liverpool-FC?page=1

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

'Kenny spent loads on junk last season so FSG are now wary of spending more, fair enough'

THAT IS LOSER TALK

You are basically saying 'FSG gave it a bash for a couple of windows, didn't succeed so have now quit and are just trying to cut our expenditure so we'll be a profitable mid table club'

Shame on us all? Really? Well I reckon LFC needs to live within its means and that means a general "reconfiguration" of the club top to bottom and that takes time, while this happens the best we can hope for a watching a side that plays good football and punches above its likely level of resources for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Leiva wrote: »
    SO FAR ...

Beller looks set to go . club in discussion with Cardiff for his return:o

There was interest in taking Suarez " I seen the FAX" BR

Rodgers on Agger: 'Every player has his price. Daniel is a top player, loves the club. But you can never say never.' :oX2

Brendan Rodgers: 'to walk out at Anfield for my first game will be an incredible privilege, but my focus will be to win.' :)

Brendan Rodgers: 'the intention is to bring in a few more players. I'd love them to be here sooner rather than later.'

When I first read that I was going "aww crap" followed by "that Alan fcuker is going to have a field day":)

But I am now very curious as to what was actually said and am waiting for the club to put the press conference up on the club site.

'Every player has his price. Daniel is a top player, loves the club. But you can never say never

is popping up as the quote

But some outlets are meant to be about to run with this or sections of this as an actual quote from the PC this morning.

'Daniel is a top player and you do not want to lose your best players.
    He has been here seven years. He loves the club and its supporters. But every player has his price and we will see where it goes. They are at a premium top centre backs, he's one of the leading players in Europe. Is he a player I want to lose? No he's not"

Bit of a difference between what are both supposed to be what Rodgers said this morning, so the actual video of the PC will either be damning on Rodgers or damning on the media. Either way we won't have more than a few hours to wait to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

And Suarez will be long gone by Summer 2015. Delusional to think otherwise.

Can I get a loan of your crystal ball? Need the lotto numbers.

Seriously though, this place is a joke at the moment. The fact remains that Skrtel was more impressive last season, partly because Agger was injured for a significant portion - again. As with every season. I love him, but just because he likes to trot forward with the ball doesn't make him Beckenbaur. We always need good backups at CB cause he is out so often.

Depending on what the right price is, this could be good business. I also think Coates should be pushing into the first team, you remember the quality he showed when we signed him?

This thread will eat itself.

Three years ago Newcastle United were relegated and the fans were screaming for the blood of the owners. Now look where they are.

We need to give FSG and Rodgers a chance.

Newcastle fans were dead right to scream for the blood of their owner, he was ****ing them up & got them relegated? :confused:

They give him time now because he changed his ways.

Dickerty wrote: »
    The fact remains that Skrtel was more impressive last season, partly because Agger was injured for a significant portion - again.

Are people intentionally lying to try & justify this?

Skrtel was always most impressive when Agger was alongside him. When he wasn't, Skrtel's game suffered hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Lads which apps do you use for liverpool news and that on the phone? Back to work next week and won't be around a PC 24/7. (probably a bad thing for my sanity)

THAT IS LOSER TALK

spot on .

I am really not liking the vibe coming from Rodgers in the last interview.
    Yes he is a realist but some of the comments would have been better suited to the days of G&H
    "I don't have a bucket load of money, we have to be strategic

I am sorry but those comments are better suited to a team like Swansea.
    We are Liverpool FC and I fear now that the owners don't get it nor does Rodgers.
    The YES man is now installed and lets be prepared for the owners to reap their monies from the commercial clout of the club whilst we are still profitable, but when you see our attractiveness and marketability dwindle as we float mid-table for a few seasons expect Tom & Johnny to flip the club .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Lads which apps do you use for liverpool news and that on the phone? Back to work next week and won't be around a PC 24/7. (probably a bad thing for my sanity)

Follow the dependable journos on twitter and you won't go far wrong :)

"Between now and the end of the window there are going to be players feeling a little bit unsure and insecure".
    "There is a new manager and more players to come in."

That's quite to the point....Really need to see a full transcript of what was said today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Fabio Borini states Balotteli tried convincing him to move to Liverpool.
    Mario Balotelli told me Liverpool have the most exciting fans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

THAT IS LOSER TALK

You'd rather see a Leeds-style blow out? If Liverpool keep spending without success, that's where they'll end up.

So far, Liverpool have shipped out several bit-part players and are asking for big money for a 4 goal striker and an admittedly good but injury prone centre back who is at the peak of his value. I don't see the big problem.

Excitable Shirley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sounds like B-Rod has taken the unusual step of issuing a 'Come and get me' plea on Agger's behalf :confused:

The concept of playing hardball in the transfer market seems to be a thing of the past at Anfield.

I was mildly concerned up to this week and even borderline optimistic that this season wouldn't be a total disaster, but if we sell one of our best (albeit injury prone) players and replace him with another nobody/Chelsea youth reject/Swansea player then we are really heading up sh1t creek fast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Jesus this is depressing, it really looks like we have nothing to spend. Rodgers saying that he's looking at the loan market...what does that tell you?

When you take our wage and transfer budget it looks like we could be going to be in net profit at the end of this window...

Still have to hold our judgement a couple of weeks though.

dmigsy wrote: »
    You'd rather see a Leeds-style blow out? If Liverpool keep spending without success, that's where they'll end up.

Why are people pretending it has to be one or the other?

You can spend money & be ambitious without endangering the future of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Newcastle fans were dead right to scream for the blood of their owner, he was ****ing them up & got them relegated? :confused:

They give him time now because he changed his ways.

They were screaming when he sacked Hughton and sold Carroll, Nolan etc as well, to be fair.

Ashley hasn't changed his ways -- actually you can draw significant parallels to how Ashley operates Newcastle and how Liverpool are looking to operate. Maximise revenues with minimum investment (hello SportsDirect@SaintJamesPark), cash in on highly-valued players and reinvest it based on decisions made as a group.

Like Ashley, FSG are now deeply unpopular because they're not spunking good money after bad. The truth of it is, if a club like Newcastle can challenge for 4th on a self-sustaining budget, there's no reason Liverpool -- with vastly superior revenues -- can't. To do that, it means offloading overpaid (if useful) players, and yes, it means selling players if an offer comes in that exceeds his value to the squad.

£20 - £25 million is a lot of money for any defender, particularly one with a patchy injury record who will be looking for a significant contract. You may ask who we can get to replace him. It's clear that we won't be signing an established global star -- but there's plenty of value to be had in this position. See: Agger, Skrtl, Vidic, Ivanovic, Kompany, Hyypia. Couple that with highly-rated young players like Coates, Kelly, Wilson etc, and it's hardly the catastrophe it's being painted as.

Of course, I'll be accused of 'rationalising' the liquidation of our club, but there's not a lot wrong with what I said above. Unfortunately for football fans who cry hot salty tears at every development, FSG are running the club with a cold, rational mind, not with the blood-and-thunder heart of a fan. And they're right.

For those who might like to take solace in the youth of Liverpool the NextGen 2012-13 squad is here - http://www.nextgenseries.com/Clubs/Liverpool-FC?page=1

The link says that they have recently recruited Kenny. So he is back in charge of the youths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

They were screaming when he sacked Hughton and sold Carroll, Nolan etc as well, to be fair.

Ashley hasn't changed his ways -- actually you can draw significant parallels to how Ashley operates Newcastle and how Liverpool are looking to operate. Maximise revenues with minimum investment (hello SportsDirect@SaintJamesPark), cash in on highly-valued players and reinvest it based on decisions made as a group.

Like Ashley, FSG are now deeply unpopular because they're not spunking good money after bad. The truth of it is, if a club like Newcastle can challenge for 4th on a self-sustaining budget, there's no reason Liverpool -- with vastly superior revenues -- can't. To do that, it means offloading overpaid (if useful) players, and yes, it means selling players if an offer comes in that exceeds his value to the squad.

£20 - £25 million is a lot of money for any defender, particularly one with a patchy injury record who will be looking for a significant contract. You may ask who we can get to replace him. It's clear that we won't be signing an established global star -- but there's plenty of value to be had in this position. See: Agger, Skrtl, Vidic, Ivanovic, Kompany, Hyypia. Couple that with highly-rated young players like Coates, Kelly, Wilson etc, and it's hardly the catastrophe it's being painted as.

Of course, I'll be accused of 'rationalising' the liquidation of our club, but there's not a lot wrong with what I said above. Unfortunately for football fans who cry hot salty tears at every development, FSG are running the club with a cold, rational mind, not with the blood-and-thunder heart of a fan. And they're right.
    You said it 100x better than I ever could!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Download the LFC History app it is amazing and Liverpool Fc Fans app for news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Shame on us all? Really? Well I reckon LFC needs to live within its means and that means a general "reconfiguration" of the club top to bottom and that takes time, while this happens the best we can hope for a watching a side that plays good football and punches above its likely level of resources for the next few years.

But what does living within it's means mean, apparently Liverpool generates the 9th highest revenue in world football.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The only possible route for us back into the CL in the next few years, beyond far exceeding expectations, is for City and Chelsea to be denied European football as per FFP rules by 2014/15 and us to qualify by finishing 5th/6th. Obviously a lot can happen between now and then, but in theory that will be enough if UEFA back up their words with actions as there is zero chance either club will be FFP compliant by then.

Not the best of plans though.

ollie1 wrote: »
    Download the LFC History app it is amazing and Liverpool Fc Fans app for news.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I don't necessarily 100% agree with you but that's a fantastic post.

I'm in 2 minds about Agger. I really don't want to see him go and I do think we will be weakened. But as you say £22m probably exceeds his market value and certainly isn't a bad deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

If last night's news about a contract being offered to Agger are true, it looks to me like we're drumming up interest to sell him in case he doesn't sign it.

My prediction is he won't sign it and we'll sell him for <£20m on deadline day, leaving us relying on Kelly and Coates.

• Advertisement

EchoO wrote: »
    But what does living within it's means mean, apparently Liverpool generates the 9th highest revenue in world football.

Well as that small print says in the adverts on telly "past performance does not necessarily predict future returns". The revenue stream over the next 3-5 years will almost certainly be lower even with the very decent sponsorship deals.

and we haven't even mentioned the stadium!

If its all about money then surely there are more creative ways of getting up the desired £20mil rather than selling one of the best defenders in the league .

There are players at the club that will need to be shifted one way or another in the coming seasons if Rodgers turns his theory into practice.
    I would have no problem if the following players left the squad :

Cole
    Wilson
    Adam
    Spearing
    Henderson
    Downing

...not all at once but surely they would have some good value going to other PL teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sappy404 wrote: »
    If last night's news about a contract being offered to Agger are true, it looks to me like we're drumming up interest to sell him in case he doesn't sign it.

My prediction is he won't sign it and we'll sell him for <£20m on deadline day, leaving us relying on Kelly and Coates.

Or it could be agent talk to get a high contract.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Leiva wrote: »
    If its all about money then surely there are more creative ways of getting up the desired £20mil rather than selling one of the best defenders in the league .

There are players at the club that will need to be shifted one way or another in the coming seasons if Rodgers turns his theory into practice.
    I would have no problem if the following players left the squad :

Cole
    Wilson
    Adam
    Spearing
    Henderson
    Downing

...not all at once but surely they would have some good value going to other PL teams?

But the majority of them are the definition of mediocre and would do well at a mediocre club which FSG seem intent on turning us into so they can make a profit. So it makes no sense to sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Kess73 wrote: »
    When I first read that I was going "aww crap" followed by "that Alan fcuker is going to have a field day":)

But I am now very curious as to what was actually said and am waiting for the club to put the press conference up on the club site.

is popping up as the quote

But some outlets are meant to be about to run with this or sections of this as an actual quote from the PC this morning.

Bit of a difference between what are both supposed to be what Rodgers said this morning, so the actual video of the PC will either be damning on Rodgers or damning on the media. Either way we won't have more than a few hours to wait to find out.

If the quote below is correct (I'm assuming it is) then that's all that really matters. The other guff is largely irrelevant. You just don't say it if you're not trying to put the player in the shop window.
    But every player has his price and we will see where it goes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement