Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

amiable wrote: »
    Peter Morrison the football agent just tweeted ''the sun is out in Liverpool''. A hint?

Flag_of_Uruguay.svg

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Fixed that for you :)

Ah good oul Robinson , I would say he has been moved to the first team to be Jose Enriques understudy for the season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

noodler wrote: »
    Lets stop with the double standards here.

Kenny disgraced the club with his Suarez antics and his appearances with the media. Was awful in the transfer market and seemed to send his teams out devoid of instruction in the second half of last season.

That would be a more applicable definition of "a bit out of his depth".

Lets not hang Rodgers out to dry simply because it looks like Agger wants out.

I don't agree with that contention, it is not a fact - merely your opinion.

Secondly, it seems the club wants to cash in, not that Agger wants out.

Awful post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Awful post.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Some strike from Morgan for the second.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Look at the size of Ngoo!

Mike Marsh going to move up to the first team coaching staff from the U18's.
    Brendan Rodgers today confirmed Mike Marsh is set to join Liverpool's first-team coaching set-up.

The 42-year-old will move up to Melwood from his role as U18s coach after assisting the Reds' new boss and backroom team over the course of pre-season training.

And Rodgers admits he's keen to have people with close ties to the club and city working alongside him.

The manager told Liverpoolfc.com: "Michael will sign a deal this week. For me, it is very important to have people with the sort of root of Liverpool in their heart, the soul of the club.

"I've come in and I've got an understanding of what it is like. I feel I'm from the same bottle of the people of Liverpool and the city, with similar backgrounds. There are no worries about that, and I've also got players from Liverpool in the first-team group.

"When I went to Swansea, I went in on my own and promoted a couple of people from there, such as Colin Pascoe to first-team coach. He was a former player there and from the Swansea area. There was also Alan Curtis, who was a player for the club for many years and a Welsh legend. I feel it is important to have people who have the soul of the club and who understand.

"When I looked at the staff when I came in, Marshy was someone who had come in with the U18s. He was a terrific young player - he walked out of a pub team into Liverpool, which is an absolutely incredible story. His roots are here at the club, his passion is for the club and he's played for the club. He was here in a period when we were a proper team, a proper club.

"This is a guy who I feel will come in as a first-team coach and Marshy will be able to help myself and Colin to take the group forward. It is great for him and good for his career, and he'll obviously get to learn how I work.

"He will also help build a bridge between the first team and the Academy. It is important for me this bridge is smooth and the young players can come across and progress into the first team."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/marsh-set-to-join-melwood-staff

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des wrote: »
    Al, for the second day running in this thread you are acting like a spoiled schoolgirl.

I'm ok with it.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    What I am refusing to do is accept that what Rodgers said is a clear cut case of him saying Agger is out.

I'm not saying that either though. I'm saying that it's a clear cut case of if City meet our asking price, Agger out. If not, the mess is ours to clean up by either letting him leave for less than our asking price, or by letting him leave for relative pittence in the near future.
    Kess73 wrote:
    What if it comes to light in a week or so that Agger had a contract offer sent to his agent yesterday or before that and was playing a bit of hardball with the club and the club did the same back? and it ends with some middle ground being met and Agger signing the new contract in less than two weeks from now?

I'd be ****ing delighted if that's the case & will be the first to say I went overboard in my reaction.
    Kess73 wrote:
    Where does that scenario leave all the credible sources and the "Agger is defo gone" type comments that can be seen?

No credible source has said Agger is definitely gone. They've simply said that if our valuation is met, he'll be gone. Rodgers as good as confirmed this was the case today.
    Kess73 wrote:
    Nothing you can say will change my mind as the only thing that will convince me that you are right is if what you claim actually happens, and I am sure that the same applies with regards to you buying into my opinion.

True.

So if we sell Agger or he refuses to sign a new deal due to us pimping him out, you should be admitting you judged the situation very wrong.

Similarly, if he signs a new deal with us, I'll admit I was very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

I find myself much better informed after watching the interview. It's obvious there is interest from Man city but I believe Agger would prefer to stay if he felt that he was really wanted. Issue a hands off, offer him a contract and put this to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

People won't like to hear this obviously, but Rodgers has handled the Agger and Carroll situations poorly - like a manager a bit out of his depth tbh.

I can't remember who the player was, but I'm almost positive he got similar flak for how he dealt with the potential signing, or sale, of a player when at Reading.

Trying to find some more info/a link on that but I definitely remember it being a big issue with a lot of Reading fans.

Have an inkling it may have been to do with Tommy Smith, who he worked with at Watford.

• Advertisement

It would be the opinion of the vast majority of the football world and a good portion of the fanbase. Based, of course, on the fact an independent inquiry was heavily critical of Suarez and so left Kenny with egg on his face.

I mean Jesus Christ, you want to defend Kenny because there is a minority opinion in football that he behaved properly during the Suarez incident whilst you want to chastise Rosgers as being "out if his depth" based on bloody press speculation.

It seems it is possible that you may be basing your opinion on sweet **** all facts.
    Awful post.

Thanks you sir , may I have another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Look at the size of Ngoo!

the actress said to the bishop....

but yeah I've seen him a few times now, and am shocked by the shear mass of the man...

anyone rate him at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

doc_17 wrote: »
    I find myself much better informed after watching the interview. It's obvious there is interest from Man city but I believe Agger would prefer to stay if he felt that he was really wanted. Issue a hands off, offer him a contract and put this to bed.

This is not actually FM mate, it's real life..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

dmigsy wrote: »

Considering the transfers haven't really kicked off yet, this seems a bit too early. Hard to believe the season is just 10 days away. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Al, is City offered £50m for Agger would you sell him?

This is not actually FM mate, it's real life..

Oh sweet mother of .......

Ok "mate"...... I used to play Championship Manager. Think it might have 00/01. Never touched a FM game.

But anyway "mate".....Offer him a contract....if he signs it then he wants to stay you would imagine?...tell Man city where to go........

If he doesn't want to stay then that opens the debate that is already happening on the site.

FM :rolleyes:

Considering the transfers haven't really kicked off yet, this seems a bit too early. Hard to believe the season is just 10 days away. :rolleyes:

Why is no one else terrified by the bold vs underlined bit above?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Yes.

So, Rodger's was correct.

Every player has a price.

Pointless question since it'll never happen but I'd take it for Agger. Be crazy to turn 50mil down!

noodler wrote: »
    It seems it is possible that you may be basing your opinion on sweet **** all facts.

You're aware Rodgers gave a press conference today where he pretty much confirmed Llyod's version of events, right? :confused:

• Advertisement

Yes.

So your issue with rogers isn't selling Agger, it's admitting every player has a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

doc_17 wrote: »
    Oh sweet mother of .......

Ok "mate"...... I used to play Championship Manager. Think it might have 00/01. Never touched a FM game.

But anyway "mate".....Offer him a contract....if he signs it then he wants to stay you would imagine?...tell Man city where to go........

If he doesn't want to stay then that opens the debate that is already happening on the site.

FM :rolleyes:

have you given consideration to the fact that it might be Liverpool pushing the transfer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So your issue with rogers isn't selling Agger, it's admitting every player has a price?

I doubt Rodge'rs is selling Agger, it's the club.

What is the manager, a couple of months into the job, supposed to do?

tell the Board/Owners to fúck off, and get himself sacked? :confused:

You're aware Rodgers gave a press conference today where he pretty much confirmed Llyod's version of events, right? :confused:

What did he confirm exactly?

That every player has a price? How does that make Rodgers out of his depth?

Lloyd's judgements of the manager is what I am questioning - not the extact wording of a press conference.

Why is no one else terrified by the bold vs underlined bit above?

I certainly am...it is getting late and new players need time to gel with the team, so that we do not lose too many points at the start of the season. A couple of my friends support Kaiserslautern, here in Germany. Been to a couple of games last season. They got regulated and looking to get back straight away again. They started last Monday with the first round of games in the league. Before that they had 12 friendlies. The team will benefit a lot from some good game time, I think we could have had a few more by this time as well. I like to hit the ground running.

have you given consideration to the fact that it might be Liverpool pushing the transfer?

Yes. Maybe they want to sell him. maybe they are making it clear if he doesn't sign a contract (if one was ever offered) he will be sold rather than be allowed to run down his current one one.

I really want him to stay. Not only in his own right is he brilliant but he also makes Skrtel look and play so much better

What? Rodgers made it pretty clear that he only took the job on condition of full control. He point blank refused to work under a DOF.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Every player DOES have a price. He's just being honest there.

I'm pretty sure it's Rodgers tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

If its for the benefit of the club (which he has been raving about since day1) then yes .

Otherwise he is a puppet and will amount to nothing at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The most likely reason why he got the job is because he won't stand against the owners. Any decent manager would fight to keep the player, especially if they are not pushing for the move.
    I certainly am...it is getting late and new players need time to gel with the team, so that we do not lose too many points at the start of the season. A couple of my friends support Kaiserslautern, here in Germany. Been to a couple of games last season. They got regulated and looking to get back straight away again. They started last Monday with the first round of games in the league. Before that they had 12 friendlies. The team will benefit a lot from some good game time, I think we could have had a few more by this time as well. I like to hit the ground running.

Your name is very misleading.:D

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The most likely reason why he got the job is because he won't stand against the owners. Any decent manager would fight to keep the player, especially if they are not pushing for the move.

Your name is very misleading.:D

Haha ya other sites I was able to change it to livingingermany after I moved but not sure if it can be done here...a bit like our team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Leiva wrote: »
    If its for the benefit of the club (which he has been raving about since day1) then yes.

i admire your passion, but it's not realistic to expect Rodgers to tell the owners to fúck off.

and that does not mean that Rodgers is a puppet.

yet.

you seem to want some renegade in charge who'll fight against "the man". this is Rodgers' first big job; that's not going to happen.

Mourinho may be able to do it. Capello. Van Gaal. all these names that people wanted for the job when Kenny left. names that were never likely to come.

and those who are about to say "Rafa would've taken it", that was never going to happen. bringing back 2 Liverpool legends in a row? FSG aren't completely nuts to invite that pressure onto themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Full quote not sure if posted

"
    "Do you see the possibility of others leaving, for example Daniel Agger is an interest for Manchester City"

"Not really. Daniel's a top player and no club wants to lose their top players. I suppose at every club we've seen it throughout, every player has a price but for me Daniel is a top class professional. I've really enjoyed working with him and speaking with him a lot in the last few weeks since he's been back, your top players will always be linked. I'm not forced to sell anyone, which is important. Daniel is a very very important player for here. Like I say we'll see what happens between now and the end of the month, but certainly for me he's getting back up to speed, he's a good guy, he loves the club here, loves the supporters, he's really focussed on his work here. But like I say you can never say never and I'm a realist as well, so we'll see where it goes between now and the end of the month.""

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Speaking of Rafa, Rodgers sounded a bit like him today.

Hands tied, having to sell to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Haha ya other sites I was able to change it to livingingermany after I moved but not sure if it can be done here...a bit like our team!

It can, but it'll cost a fiver for a months subscription, and then you can get it changed by an admin to livingingermany or whatever you want really. At least you won't be faced with middle of the night kickoffs anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Speaking of Rafa, Rodgers sounded a bit like him today.

Hands tied, having to sell to buy.

...saying 'No?' at the end of every sentence, pronouncing his z-sounds as th-sounds...

SlickRic wrote: »
    i admire your passion, but it's not realistic to expect Rodgers to tell the owners to fúck off.

and that does not mean that Rodgers is a puppet.

yet.

you seem to want some renegade in charge who'll fight against "the man". this is Rodgers' first big job; that's not going to happen.

Mourinho may be able to do it. Capello. Van Gaal. all these names that people wanted for the job when Kenny left. names that were never likely to come.

and those who are about to say "Rafa would've taken it", that was never going to happen. bringing back 2 Liverpool legends in a row? FSG aren't completely nuts to invite that pressure onto themselves.

So we have a manager who is basically Di Matteo MKII , but without the owner with the passion or cash to bring in quality signings ?

I'm sorry but everything we have seen to date is shaping up to be exactly as predicted/feared (Lucky Lloyd I think) that we have a yes man as manager, and all steering and decisions is coming from directors - the majority of which have only been in the game less than 2 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I'm pretty sure it's Rodgers tbh.

You must be ITK so.

BR said that he would not like to sell him.

So we have a manager who is basically Di Matteo MKII , but without the owner with the passion or cash to bring in quality signings ?

I'm sorry but everything we have seen to date is shaping up to be exactly as predicted/feared (Lucky Lloyd I think) that we have a yes man as manager, and all direction is coming from directors who the majority have only been in the game less than 2 years .

Has it occurred to you that Rodgers may be fully aware of the money available and simply sees selling Agger at £22m as good business?

• Advertisement

gafferino wrote: »
    You must be ITK so.

He also said he only took the job on condition that he had final say on all transfers so I guess Agger is staying then.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Sappy404 wrote: »
    ...saying 'No?' at the end of every sentence, pronouncing his z-sounds as th-sounds...

"Liberpool" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

naughtb4 wrote: »

"
    "Do you see the possibility of others leaving, for example Daniel Agger is an interest for Manchester City"

"Not really. Daniel's a top player and no club wants to lose their top players. I suppose at every club we've seen it throughout, every player has a price but for me Daniel is a top class professional. I've really enjoyed working with him and speaking with him a lot in the last few weeks since he's been back, your top players will always be linked. I'm not forced to sell anyone, which is important. Daniel is a very very important player for here. Like I say we'll see what happens between now and the end of the month, but certainly for me he's getting back up to speed, he's a good guy, he loves the club here, loves the supporters, he's really focussed on his work here. But like I say you can never say never and I'm a realist as well, so we'll see where it goes between now and the end of the month.""

Well jugding by that it doesn't seem we want or have to sell agger but as pointed out by our gaffer he will always be linked with a move away . This is also true for all the top players in world football especially when you have City and PSG . They seem to have more money then sense . Sure at one stage city where going to be paying 100 million for Kaka which at the time was mental but to me it was more a case of look at us we can buy who we want , when we want .
    I wonder has his agent been whispering in his ear we need to play hard ball because this is going to be his last big paying contract . So it could be the club and player having abit of a spar so they can eventually meet in the middle and agree a new contract .

Who knows whats going on right now but time will tell and if our gaffer is after a new defender lets hope he gets it right .

gafferino wrote: »
    You must be ITK so.

So you take what Rodgers says as gospel? He said

I'm not forced to sell anyone, which is important.

naughtb4 wrote: »

"

Now that in fairness seems fine, I don't really have an issue with it.

Bloody reporters and journalists sensationalising everything again just a story running and to piss me off.

I'm quite happy with that statement overall if I'm being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

True.

So if we sell Agger or he refuses to sign a new deal due to us pimping him out, you should be admitting you judged the situation very wrong.

Similarly, if he signs a new deal with us, I'll admit I was very wrong.

And that I think is the difference between us on this one, Alan. If what I think turns out to be the final outcome regarding Agger, then I won't give a damn as to who thought Agger was off because the club we all support will have kept it's best defender.

I am happy to debate it, and any other club related matter, with you right up until whatever is to happen happens. If I get proven wrong in what I think, then I will happily admit to it if you ask, just don't expect me to have a need to hear you say you were wrong should Agger sign a new deal.

I like the debate, the arguement, the putting forward of points, and the willingness to defend an opinion to the point of blatant stubborness, but the need to see you, in particular, proven wrong for the sake of you being wrong just is not there.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Has it occurred to you that Rodgers may be fully aware of the money available and simply sees selling Agger at £22m as good business?
    From the horses mouth:
    "I don't have a bucket load of money, we have to be strategic "

From the same horses mouth
    I'm not forced to sell anyone, which is important.

From the horses mouth:
    "I don't have a bucket load of money, we have to be strategic " .

Exactly.

I'm hoping that when he said "We have to be strategic" it was a reference to the loan moves rather than the sale of Agger.

It also seems, from the quote naughtb4 posted, that he will only sell Agger if the money offered makes too much sense to turn down.

The worrying part in that is his evaluation of what price that may be. For me 22m to Man City is not enough. 30m to Barcelona I could deal with, but its not gonna happen at that price.

Plus, if Barca were chasing him they'd have half their players in the media creaming over Agger saying they always wanted to play with him and that he should join them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement