Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

No, it was because the players decided to put in a shift. Stupid decision long term by Chelsea to sack AVB & appoint RDM. That'll end in tears, likely by the end of next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

G.K. wrote: »
    While I agree that Rodgers is a better tactician than Dalglish, this is harsh.

Remmeber the game against Chelsea where Meireles scored? Dalglish's back 3/interchangeable diamond tactics probably won the game for you's.

One of the few times Dalglish was thinking outside the box and that was right at the start of his tenure and so fooled a few of us into thinking we were heading back to the sunny uplands. The true Dalglish was the one who had no clue about pressing, switching attacks, making changes on the hoof (late and poor subbing policy).

I expect people to be bemoaning the lack of a plan B tactically under Rodgers by the middle of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No, it was because the players decided to put in a shift. Stupid decision long term by Chelsea to sack AVB & appoint RDM. That'll end in tears, likely by the end of next season.

So RDM managerial achievements were irrelevant.

Would you prefer to see Trappatoni in charge rather than Rodgers, considering he has 'achieved' more?

He's a bit old, but if I'd a choice between the two for 1 season it'd be Trap every day of the week.

I expect people to be bemoaning the lack of a plan B tactically under Rodgers by the middle of September.

and no doubt you secretly hope thats the case eh?

My critique of Dalglish is based on what happened whereas you and LL are attacking Rodgers for events yet to happen.

He's a bit old, but if I'd a choice between the two for 1 season it'd be Trap every day of the week.

I'm sorry I cannot help you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Also, RDM has far more top level experience than Brendan Rodgers. Still think Chelsea will regret sacking AVB for him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I bet if Rodgers bought Alan an ice cream he'd complain that it was too cold.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I bet if Rodgers bought Alan an ice cream he'd complain that it was too cold.

Criticism is fair enough, but I think he is attention seeking at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We can win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Sometimes it's hard to choose between a double facepalm, an implied facepalm or a house facepalm.

In other news Juventus have openly announced they intend to sign Suarez.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

We can win the league.

We will win the league.

donfers wrote: »
    We will win the league.

PMA!"!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

• Advertisement

delw wrote: »

Yea typical Liverpool, let's coddle the guy till he is in his 20's and he will amount to not a lot.
    Such nonsense. Throw him in ffs, he is 17, he has more confidence, belief and swagger and determination and hunger than he will probably ever have.

If he doesn't utilise it now, it will slip away. Wind him up and watch him go.

Yea typical Liverpool, let's coddle the guy till he is in his 20's and he will amount to not a lot.
    Such nonsense. Throw him in ffs, he is 17, he has more confidence, belief and swagger and determination and hunger than he will probably ever have.

Sure he has two kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

We can win the league.

Ru-oh

Whaats wrong Scoobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I agree,let him lose,also didn't Rodgers say if they are good enough that age doesn't come into it or something along those lines

djPSB wrote: »
    Sure he has two kids.

Exactly. And there are probably people trying to tame him there too, let him at it, he'd probably have 40 kids by now.

He is a wild untamed bheast of a young lad and should be treated as such. Play him, watch him score a few goals and after the match give him a handful of rubber jonnies and tell him not to be late for training.

• Advertisement

Exactly. And there are probably people trying to tame him there too, let him at it, he'd probably have 40 kids by now.

He is a wild untamed bheast of a young lad and should be treated as such. Play him, watch him score a few goals and after the match give him a handful of rubber jonnies and tell him not to be late for training.

What about the loan deals that transformed Welbeck and Sturridge into top players?

What about the loan deals that transformed Welbeck and Sturridge into top players?

Sturridge can't get his game. Dunno about Wellbeck. It's a bit early days to call them top players.

Sturridge can't get his game. Dunno about Wellbeck. It's a bit early days to call them top players.

Well maybe not top players, but they went from being reserve team players to first team players in the space of a few months.

We don't send enough of our young players out on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Poor Ryan babel would like to come back to Liverpool! Bring him home buck, bring him home...

We're 2/1 to finish in the top 4.

Anyone fancy that?

3/10 to finish outside the top 4.

We're 2/1 to finish in the top 4.

Anyone fancy that?

3/10 to finish outside the top 4.

I'd fancy laying the 2/1
    I suppose how Arsenal will handle losing RVP, moreso losing an RVP that had a ridic season will be interesting.

Even then there is City, Utd, Chelsea, Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Times saying Juventus going to test us on Suarez with a £30m bid.

Opr

I'd fancy laying the 2/1
    I suppose how Arsenal will handle losing RVP, moreso losing an RVP that had a ridic season will be interesting.

Even then there is City, Utd, Chelsea, Spurs

The odds are firmly against Rodgers getting a top 4 finish anyway.

From Rory Smith.
    Fulham could ask Liverpool to include Charlie Adam, the Scotland midfielder, as a makeweight in a deal for Clint Dempsey. The American is keen to leave Craven Cottage and Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, has confirmed his interest in the 29-year-old. Rodgers is also thought to be closing in on Joe Allen, of Swansea City. Fulham are also keen on Nigel Reo-Coker.

That would be ideal if we could send Charlie the other way.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

If there is a god, please please make that happen!

• Advertisement

Suddenly this looks like the deal of the summer :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Fulham could ask Liverpool to include Charlie Adam, the Scotland midfielder, as a makeweight in a deal for Clint Dempsey.

At the risk of disgusting you lads, that made me a bit hard.

The beep also going with Juventus readying a bid for Suarez.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18935349

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

PRAF wrote: »
    First post in the Liverpool thread so go easy on me guys!

Question - what is the true level of the current Liverpool team. Is it the team who were at times brilliant in the two great cup runs? Or is it the team that struggled for consistency in the league, especially at home. Did they overperform in the cups or underperform in the league?

For me, that's the key question about the current LFC squad. It will be interesting to see if Rodgers can get more out of the current bunch with a new philosophy. Like others in here, I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm also a big Kenny fan, but unfortunately either he signed poor players who overperformed in the cups or he signed good players who he couldn't get to play to their potential in the league.

The true level of the team/squad is how things were when the season ended.

So 8th best team in a league of 20 teams, and winner of one domestic cup is the most recent clarification of the level of the team.

I don't buy into the team being the 6th best because it simply did not prove it in the season just gone and no amount of talk/excuses about woodwork hit, injuries, bad luck etc can change what the finishing positions were.

Welcome to the forum and superthread btw, it is always good to see a new face (well username anyway) as it potentially means a new or fresh opinion on various topics.

Thats a fairly big opening big from juve in fairness but no way can we sell suarez, rvp is certainly a more obtainable target for em so hopefully he'll have more of their attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Can't see how Suarez wouldn't be getting a bit itchy to leave with potential deals like that floating around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

opr wrote: »
    The beep also going with Juventus readying a bid for Suarez.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18935349

Opr

What pisses me off is we never seem to have huge buy out clauses in the contracts of our best players
    Suarez should have a buy out clause of 50 million at least,I doubt he has one at all
    If Suarez feels like a change he will do a Macherano and leave for peanuts,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thats a fairly big opening big from juve in fairness but no way can we sell suarez, rvp is certainly a more obtainable target for em so hopefully he'll have more of their attention.

Did the bid already? How much was it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What pisses me off is we never seem to have huge buy out clauses in the contracts of our best players
    Suarez should have a buy out clause of 50 million at least,I doubt he has one at all

What? Having a buy out clause means there is a figure he has to be let go for. No buy out clause means we can indefinitely say no, regardless of the offer. If Masch had had a 200 billion buyout clause it would have made no difference. He wanted out, his contract was running down, and we'd have taken the same deal.

Players by and large are the ones who force buyout clauses into their contracts in England, not the club. In Spain, every player has a mandatory buyout clause (association rules).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I wouldnt say Suarez will leave, Rodgers has said he wants to keep him(obviously:P) and Suarez also said he wants to stay at the club.
    Does anyone have anymore news on Gaston Ramirez too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Buy out clauses aren't really worth the paper they are written on tbh and aren't valid outside the country that they are signed off on

I wouldnt say Suarez will leave, Rodgers has said he wants to keep him(obviously:P) and Suarez also said he wants to stay at the club.
    Does anyone have anymore news on Gaston Ramirez too?

Think that was all BS about Ramirez.

Think that was all BS about Ramirez.

Ah well thats a shame, i would have liked him in the squad, hes a good, young player with a lot of skill.

Most likely we will hang onto Suarez this year but failure to qualify for the champions league this year which is the likely outcome will mean he'll be off next summer anyway.

Opr

Sell Suarez if they take Downing, Adams and Cole in the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Juve can fcukoff with a bid of that amount.
    Seems to be a credible interest but make a proper offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

I'd like to think Suarez feels he "owes" us anyway. I know modern professional footballers rarely show themselves to be loyal, but he got a hell of a lot of backing in the past 12 months. I hope he sees that too and wants to repay the club rather than looking for a bigger payday elsewhere the minute someone comes a snooping.

Ape X wrote: »
    I'd like to think Suarez feels he "owes" us anyway. I know modern professional footballers rarely show themselves to be loyal, but he got a hell of a lot of backing in the past 12 months. I hope he sees that too and wants to repay the club rather than looking for a bigger payday elsewhere the minute someone comes a snooping.

Yeah I actually heard that somewhere, he said he was definitely going to stay for at least this season because he felt he owed the club and the fans for all the support he's gotten, something along the lines of that anyway.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Did the bid already? How much was it?

No but they're apparently planning a 28mill pound bid for him, did we pay 22 million euros or pounds for him? Anyways they can feck off regardless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Does anyone seriously believe that Juventus even have £28 million to spend? The real offer from Juventus is much more likely to be Reto Ziegler and £4 million in fivers and loose change.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement