Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Leiva wrote: »
    So we have a manager who is basically Di Matteo MKII , but without the owner with the passion or cash to bring in quality signings ?

I'm sorry but everything we have seen to date is shaping up to be exactly as predicted/feared (Lucky Lloyd I think) that we have a yes man as manager, and all steering and decisions is coming from directors - the majority of which have only been in the game less than 2 years .

I think this is a bit OTT. We can't say what he will be like as Liverpool manager just yet. While I don't expect to know everything that's going on at the club (we'd all be complaining if there was that much info coming out anyhow), what I would like is a clear statement such as "We are not in a position to spend as much money as we may have had in the past. We have to make cuts in certain areas while hoping to still bring in the quality players that will allow us to challenge where we need to be. It's a balancing act that we are striving to attain, and we would all ask for some understanding and support in trying to do this".

If we had a statement in and around that it would temper expectations, and set the scene for what is actually happening. I believe the above to be what they are trying to do, rather than settling for mediocrity. Unfortunately, while it is clear this squad of players can do better than last season (as the domination of most matches showed), I don't know if that strategy will be enough to keep the likes of Suarez in the face of continued CL football. If we finish 10 or more points outside of the CL places again next season without really challenging for them I fear that nex summer might make this one look really cheerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Exactly.

Not really .

Im guessing but I reckon he is trying to generate the money for Allen after failing to shift Carroll .
    Selling one of the best defenders in Europe to do this is not good business .

If that's being "strategic" we are fúcked "!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm hoping that when he said "We have to be strategic" it was a reference to the loan moves rather than the sale of Agger.

It also seems, from the quote naughtb4 posted, that he will only sell Agger if the money offered makes too much sense to turn down.

The worrying part in that is his evaluation of what price that may be. For me 22m to Man City is not enough. 30m to Barcelona I could deal with, but its not gonna happen at that price.

Plus, if Barca were chasing him they'd have half their players in the media creaming over Agger saying they always wanted to play with him and that he should join them.

Barca have reportedly already said they aren't interested in him at £18m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Not really .

Im guessing but I reckon he is trying to generate the money for Allen after failing to shift Carroll .
    Selling one of the best defenders in Europe to do this is not good business .

If that's being "strategic" we are fúcked "!

He's saying that he has a certain amount of money and if he needs more he can sell to raise funds. I'm saying that selling Agger for £20m+ might seem like a good idea to him in this regard.

Frankly I don't see the confusion. Practically every well-run club is strategic in it's transfers like this. If Rodgers feels the team will be better off selling Agger and spending the money on new players, he's hardly a yes man or a puppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

We've had tentative links with Alvaro Pereira over the summer. Reports suggest he's no longer training with club as is trying to force a move. They were looking for a ridiculous fee last summer of around £30m but that seems to have dropped to around £15m. I doubt his wages would be huge moving from Porto. Chelsea seem to be the main clubs linked but surely Roman has to put the cheque book away at some stage this summer. Obviously it's a bit of a fantasy signing as we need signings elsewhere far more urgently but I think he would be a cracking signing.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Speaking of Rafa, Rodgers sounded a bit like him today.

Hands tied, having to sell to buy.

That wasn't the problem. I think it'd be naive to expect much of a transfer budget without sales and especially without CL money. Even if we find out that we have a fairly decent profit for the last financial year, it wouldn't be enough to guarantee CL football on its own - not by a long way. We're only ever going to have the money to spend that we make ourselves. Radical changes will require sales up until we have a large profit and CL money.

Rafa was told he'd be allowed to spend the income from sales only to find the owners would move the goalposts and only allow him some of it. The money we made was being pissed away on debt repayments. That isn't a problem anymore.

The question on Agger is - what's better: a) Agger or b) another CB who's not as good but can play more often +£5m-£10m.

I'm not sure it's as blatantly obvious that keeping Agger is the best course of action as some on here would suggest but on balance I think it is the safest option. We have a good defence. I think taking the best player out of it would give Rodgers too much work to do at a time when there's other areas of our squad that are in dire need of attention.

There's no guarantee that another CB would be anywhere near as good as Agger and it's not even a given that they'll be able to play more games.
    What I do know is that Agger, even with fitness issues, has a massive positive effect on our first 11. Although in general it might make sense to sell him now and replace him with someone more dependable in terms of fitness, I don't think we can afford to be fiddling around with the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

opr wrote: »
    He also said he only took the job on condition that he had final say on all transfers so I guess Agger is staying then.

Opr

I think what he meant here was that he decides who to buy. If a club decides to sell their isn't a manager in the world who can stop them.
    So you take what Rodgers says as gospel? He said.....

Im not sure what you mean? Do I think he is lying - No I dont believe he is lying. He is not "forced" to sell anyone. But he may have been told you need to sell to buy. He may prefer to have the option to buy attacking players as he deems our current defenders good enough.

For the record I am willing to wait until the end of the transfer window before I make a judgement. I really hope we dont sell Agger AND get some quality reinforcements but this may not be possible. If these funds can come from selling Carrol that would be much better. He sure as hell isnt going to sell Agger for the crack so the liverpool fans can have a go at him. Its clear Rodgers would like him in the team - who wouldnt.

Sappy404 wrote: »

Practically every well-run club is strategic in it's transfers like this. If Rodgers feels the team will be better off selling Agger and spending the money on new players, he's hardly a yes man or a puppet.

I never questioned the above.

When we reach the end of the transfer window we will have the benefit of hindsight ..lets wait and see hey .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

going way OTT Leiva, sorry.

if anything Rodgers fails in that quote because he tries to be far too diplomatic. he is saying that he doesn't want to sell him, but if stupid money were to come along, every club would have to think about it.

he hasn't been proven to be a puppet.
    this hasn't proven that we're fúcked.

would those who were patient with Kenny show a little of that same patience with Rodgers. FSG are one thing, i'm worried about them, even though we were never promised sugar daddies, but Rodgers deserves time.

(i realise some fiercely pro-Kenny people are giving Rodgers the benefit of the doubt so far, this isn't at you!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We've had tentative links with Alvaro Pereira over the summer. Reports suggest he's no longer training with club as is trying to force a move. They were looking for a ridiculous fee last summer of around £30m but that seems to have dropped to around £15m. I doubt his wages would be huge moving from Porto. Chelsea seem to be the main clubs linked but surely Roman has to put the cheque book away at some stage this summer. Obviously it's a bit of a fantasy signing as we need signings elsewhere far more urgently but I think he would be a cracking signing.

Opr

Could this just be a case of the Uruguayan ties seeing him linked with us?
    Also, has he ever played as a wide man in a 4-3-3?

Every time I've seen him he's been in a more defensive role, although he certainly seems like he could play on the wing.

I just wouldn't be so sure about him that advanced up the pitch but others would know better.

If he's being signed as a left back then I would nearly prefer we spend that 15m on a different player. Defence, as things stand, is an area I'm relatively happy with.

I can only imagine what it was like in here when Gerrard nearly headed to Chelsea....

tumblr_m84uk73kD11rcysb1o1_250.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Opr

From his Wiki
    In late December, he heavily criticised Manchester United's Patrice Evra for reporting alleged racist abuse from Pereira's national team colleague Luis Suárez - including a claim from Evra that Suarez "doesn't speak to black players" - saying that "what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch", adding that the French would have to "wear body armour" if the players' future international friendly was to take place immediately instead of in late 2012.[4][5]

Could fit in well.

SlickRic wrote: »
    going way OTT Leiva, sorry.

if anything Rodgers fails in that quote because he tries to be far too diplomatic. he is saying that he doesn't want to sell him, but if stupid money were to come along, every club would have to think about it.

he hasn't been proven to be a puppet.
    this hasn't proven that we're fúcked.

would those who were patient with Kenny show a little of that same patience with Rodgers. FSG are one thing, i'm worried about them, even though we were never promised sugar daddies, but Rodgers deserves time.

(i realise some fiercely pro-Kenny people are giving Rodgers the benefit of the doubt so far, this isn't at you!)

Your probably right I am gone OTT .

Yes I voiced my concern at Rodgers appointment but I also posted about giving the man time (sure I even had him quoted in my sig.. now deleted ) but today's events and Interview said a lot for me .

Maybe the guy spoke too openly in the public arena and should have held back a bit, but everything I heard is very concerning .

I will stop ranting (promise) and as I said in my previous post will wait til we have the benefit of hindsight.

its not that bad lads...Downing is brimming full of confidence or maybe he's not sure if he is or not...

Stewart Downing is determined to dispel the notion that he is a "confidence player" after his form divided opinion amongst Liverpool fans.

Downing, 28, was an £18million arrival at Anfield last year after Kenny Dalglish lured him to the club from Aston Villa.
    From such a lavish acquisition, fans expected more than the two goals and no assists that he returned.

Questions over his morale arose because there were occasions when it was claimed he was overwhelmed by his transfer fee, prompting fans to draw the conclusion he must be a confidence player.

"I seem to be labelled that a lot," he told the Liverpool Echo.

"I seem to be labelled that a lot. I was disappointed with how last season went but I'm not sure I'm a 'confidence' player."

"I was disappointed with how last season went but I'm not sure I'm a 'confidence' player.

"I just like to be in the team and doing well. It's not nice when you are not getting results and we certainly took a lot of stick last season when it wasn't happening, especially with us new players coming in."

Downing notched the goal which gave the Reds victory over FC Gomel in Brendan Rodgers' first competitive game in charge last week.

And while some players may view the Europa League through disparaging eyes, Downing insists Rodgers has stressed the importance of winning games, no matter the competition.

He added: "It is the second tier of European competition but it's certainly one we still want to win.

"Earlier on you don't know where you are going to be playing but the further on you get, when the Champions League teams drop in, then there are some good sides in the competition.

"The manager has stressed from day one that whatever competition we are in, we go to win it.

"So you can see his mentality, he wants to win every game, he is hungry and his players have got to be the same otherwise you don't get picked."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

5starpool wrote: »
    It can, but it'll cost a fiver for a months subscription, and then you can get it changed by an admin to livingingermany or whatever you want really. At least you won't be faced with middle of the night kickoffs anymore.

Jesus ya, basically no champions league for me as it was about 5 in the morning. Premierships games at the weekend weren't so bad but during the week it was a killer.

• Advertisement

Your probably right I am gone OTT .

Yes I voiced my concern at Rodgers appointment but I also posted about giving the man time (sure I even had him quoted in my sig.. now deleted ) but today's events and Interview said a lot for me .

Maybe the guy spoke too openly in the public arena and should have held back a bit, but everything I heard is very concerning .

I will stop ranting (promise) and as I said in my previous post will wait til we have the benefit of hindsight.

Time will tell if he's masterminding the Agger thing or is just a mouthpiece, so you're better off. I just wish a few others in here followed suit.

Yano what, I never understand when players, or managers, come out and say the following: He's hungry and wants to win every game".

I mean no fucking shit Sherlock. You don't make it at this level without the hunger to win. Nobody goes out and thinks, yano what, I'm gonna lose this one today for the craic.

Granted, there where times when we were shouting at the likes of Downing last year, and many others, when it may have looked like they weren't trying, but they obviously still want to win the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

doc_17 wrote: »
    Oh sweet mother of .......

Ok "mate"...... I used to play Championship Manager. Think it might have 00/01. Never touched a FM game.

But anyway "mate".....Offer him a contract....if he signs it then he wants to stay you would imagine?...tell Man city where to go........

If he doesn't want to stay then that opens the debate that is already happening on the site.

FM :rolleyes:

To say that all we need to do is issue a hands off, then offer a contract, which he would definitely sign, is naive at best. This is how the issue would be handled in FM, hence the reference, MATE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

Oh sweet mother of .......

Ok "mate"...... I used to play Championship Manager. Think it might have 00/01. Never touched a FM game.

But anyway "mate".....Offer him a contract....if he signs it then he wants to stay you would imagine?...tell Man city where to go........

If he doesn't want to stay then that opens the debate that is already happening on the site.

FM :rolleyes:

To say that all we need to do is issue a hands off, then offer a contract, which he would definitely sign, is naive at best. This is how the issue would be handled in FM, hence the reference, MATE!

Sigh...I never said he would definitely sign it....IF he signs it.

I'll use smaller words next time....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Is it time I put up another GIF of some bouncing breasts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Sigh...I never said he would definitely sign it....IF he signs it.

I'll use smaller words next time....

Oh I see what you did there. You said you'd use smaller words next time, as if to imply I couldn't understand the massive words you used previously! Very clever, slow claps all round.

Hell ya! We all need some cheering up.

amiable wrote: »

I can say for sure it is time for more than one GIF.

Come on quick...wife is back in 30 minutes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

How about a breast gif to sum up our pre-season?

2435115245_8b3e13a2cd_o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Haha ya other sites I was able to change it to livingingermany after I moved but not sure if it can be done here...a bit like our team!

I feel your pain about not being able to change your username!

God dammit man I'm in work!!!!

Frankly I'm annoyed that you've had this at your disposal and have refrained from doing so already :p

God dammit man I'm in work!!!!

Hence the username? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

As long as it is not a picture of you on a trampoline. :)

• Advertisement

Hate to be a stickler but you said 'bouncing'...is it a bit like we have funds but then not spending?? :p

Hence the username? :P

Meh, tomorrow is my last day so I guess me looking at boobs on the internet should be the least of my worries.

bouncing_tits_14.gif

With glasses too...good man yourself!

(Now get out of my head!)

Come on quick...wife is back in 30 minutes! :D

Dangerfap? :p

Knex. wrote: »
    Dangerfap? :p

I had no idea what that was until I looked it up

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Danger%20Fap

:o:o:o

I had no idea what that was until I looked it up

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Danger%20Fap

:o:o:o

:D I went with the more internet preferred, PC term, fap.

In your case I was implying before the missus gets home!

With glasses too...good man yourself!

(Now get out of my head!)

She has glasses on?

Mad how the Agger talk has died down since those GIFs went up. Jen Chang, take note!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Spain introducing diving to the game of basketball now - what a joke! hope they hammered in the semi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

donfers wrote: »
    Spain introducing diving to the game of basketball now - what a joke! hope they hammered in the semi

Oh diving has been rife in basketball for a long time unfortunately. It is termed "flopping" in the NBA.

Tomorrows team rumoured to be Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Shelvey, Downing, Suarez, Borini

The bib theory back in action? Isn't that the players who were all wearing the same colour yesterday in training.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

That's not a million miles away from your current best starting XI.

Players wearing green bibs yesterday.

149931340-steven-gerrard-of-liverpool-jumps-in-front-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QavolzeQq5Xk9FqV4bKZuRJ08xglEM5myZ1NyHcx%2bik%2bM5SPhNSJDf5rr7T9cVmHag%3d%3d

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

doesn anyone know if the gomel game thats on espn tommorow is on in ireland because last time they werent allowed to show to irish viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

I know that it is on Fox Soccer Channel here in the States

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    doesn anyone know if the gomel game thats on espn tommorow is on in ireland because last time they werent allowed to show to irish viewers

No because Setanta are showing it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What about channel 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Tomorrows team rumoured to be Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Shelvey, Downing, Suarez, Borini

If that's true, says a lot for Shelvey, ahead of Hendo, Adam and Carroll (Downing could play further back)...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement