Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Channel 5 no longer have EL rights - ITV do.

My green bib thought was true then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Dont have much time to play today so i will just post my 'hysteria'. :cool:

Loan signings?.......bwahahahahaha......progress me hole.....anyway.

An awful lot of lads with the blinkers firmly on in order to get their arses shoved in the gate before the season starts.

Do any of you see ambition from these owners?, to get into top 4?. They have reverted to type. After just walking in the door John Henry spoke about how well Arsenal were run and how it was a great model or words to that effect. So they went and got advice off the ex vice Arsenal chairman and ex FA vice chairman, lets not deny that happened.

"Brendan was out first choice", said Tom Werner. If that was said to anyone in here 12 months ago you would have thought these owners were outright insane. The fact its 12 months later doesnt really change much. They havent got the first idea what they are at in terms of football, they crunch numbers and fk all else.

But dont worry lads, there will be figures of the club accounts coming out again very soon, we can all photo copy them or get posters made up and stick them on our bedroom walls, they will be 'world class' accounts.

Just to say, i like Rodgers. But can anyone honestly believe that we will get places, with Brendan Rodgers having conversations with men who didnt know LFC existed 2 years ago?. I urge you to go read some fan forums about what has happened at the Red Sox lately, i have with a cool head and theres very little positive.

By all means suck up the public 'face' of the club, i did under Moores for about 8 years when i wanted him out. Going nowhere fast i tells ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

daithijjj wrote: »
    I urge you to go read some fan forums about what has happened at the Red Sox lately, i have with a cool head and theres very little positive.

What about what happened with the Red Sox over the last decade or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They won a few world series (I guess the Carling cup is our "comeback" trophy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

amiable wrote: »
    Tomorrows team rumoured to be Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Shelvey, Downing, Suarez, Borini

That's probably our strongest team at the moment, nice to see rodgers throwing out a proper team on his first game at anfield. It would be amazing to see lucas start a game again, way ahead of schedule with his injury, brilliant stuff.
    Would like to see coates,sterling and pacheco off the bench. Suso is unfortunately by the looks still in the reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think everyone can see the logic in getting rid of squad players on 50-100k per week who could be replaced by younger players who are or will be as good.

But we haven't replaced them with anyone yet bar Borini. Hopefully others will have better seasons but we need at least 3-4 players in added to what we have already. But with Carroll and maybe Agger also leaving you can add 2 more players to that list taking it to maybe 5-6 players we would new to have any kind of shot at making top 4.

It's one thing to get rid of bit part players who are on bloated wages (speaking of that why is Cole still there) but to sell a solid defender to the champions is deflating.

Loan deals are not ideal either. Seems like something that a team with mid table aspirations should be doing......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Watching Tello against Man United at the moment. I seen him a few times last season as well and was less than impressed. He obviously has pace to burn but doesn't seem to have anything other than that to beat a man. Picks the wrong option continually when slipped into good positions.

Edit - lol, he just gives away a penalty.

Opr

What about what happened with the Red Sox over the last decade or so?

Here is a few snippets from the Boston Herald around the end of April.

"Red Sox loss so bad it’s hard to put into words"

"Valentine rendered speechless"

"It was the Red Sox’ most lopsided pounding in 12 years"

"it was impossible to identify who had the worst night".

I know fk all about baseball and im not going to pretend i do. But im friends with a fanatic. Whatever was 'built' has tumbled back down. Ive been told they are wildly inconsistent and are a mediocre team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭Glico Man

opr wrote: »
    Watching Tello against Man United at the moment. I seen him a few times last season as well and was less than impressed. He obviously has pace to burn but doesn't seem to have anything other than that to beat a man. Picks the wrong option continually when slipped into good positions.

Opr

Of the two wide men that Pep promoted to the first team last year, Tello is miles behind Cuenca, both in technique and footballing intelligence. Tello, imo, has nothing but pace. He's the Walcott of Barcelona. I've no doubt he could do a job for someone, but he'd be a poor signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Opr

Was it against Madrid in the title decider where he was absolutely appalling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Here is a few snippets from the Boston Herald around the end of April.

"Red Sox loss so bad it’s hard to put into words"

"Valentine rendered speechless"

"It was the Red Sox’ most lopsided pounding in 12 years"

"it was impossible to identify who had the worst night".

I know fk all about baseball and im not going to pretend i do. But im friends with a fanatic. Whatever was 'built' has tumbled back down. Ive been told they are wildly inconsistent and are a mediocre team.

How is that the owners fault though? I could understand if they weren't giving them money but they have. They have spent a lot of money but it seems the people they have employed have made poor decisions. Obviously that's the fault of the owner but expecting every GM/manager/player etc you acquire to be amazing is pretty stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Opr
    Remember Bojan? The hype behind him was unreal and a lot of people seemed to think that he would be even better than Messi. People seem to think that because someone plays with Barcelona, it automatically makes them a worthwhile player to have. If Barcelona are willing to send the likes of Tello off on loan or even sell him, then it says a lot about that player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

How is that the owners fault though? I could understand if they weren't giving them money but they have. They have spent a lot of money but it seems the people they have employed have made poor decisions. Obviously that's the fault of the owner but expecting every GM/manager/player etc you acquire to be amazing is pretty stupid.

2795212_o.gif

rossie1977 wrote: »

If your expecting every GM/manager to be an instant success when you hire them you are living in fantasy land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Remember Bojan? The hype behind him was unreal and a lot of people seemed to think that he would be even better than Messi. People seem to think that because someone plays with Barcelona, it automatically makes them a worthwhile player to have. If Barcelona are willing to send the likes of Tello off on loan or even sell him, then it says a lot about that player.

It doesn't always work out like that.

They also sold Pique.

Tello on loan wouldn't be a bad addition. He may not be the most skillful player but he brings pace which is something we lack.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

djPSB wrote: »

They also sold Pique.

Tello on loan wouldn't be a bad addition. He may not be the most skillful player but he brings pace which is something we lack.

Did Pique not leave before he could sign a contract with Barca, the same way as Fabregas did? Lots of Spanish youngsters end up in English academies for similar reasons, including a few we've got over the years.

djPSB wrote: »

They also sold Pique.

Pique was never sold. Spanish law says (or used to say at least) that a footballer could not sign a professional contract until a player was 18. United simply offered Pique a contract and practically stole him. The same happened with Fabregas when he signed for Arsenal.

I can't think of any young player (at least 18) who made a decent impact after being let go by Barcelona.

If your expecting every GM/manager to be an instant success when you hire them you are living in fantasy land.

What you need to ask yourself is who at this club is approaching players and doing deals. 10 days to our first league game and we are faffing around, not only with potential signings but with our own players. If their was any solid direction we would have deals done and be telling other teams to fk off from trying to unsettle anyone at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

5starpool wrote: »
    Did Pique not leave before he could sign a contract with Barca, the same way as Fabregas did? Lots of Spanish youngsters end up in English academies for similar reasons, including a few we've got over the years.

The difference was, Barca were absolutely fuming when Fabregas went. Although they would have liked to keep Pique, it didn't make waves. Fabregas was considered to be the next Xavi at the time.

• Advertisement

I can't think of any young player (at least 18) who made a decent impact after being let go by Barcelona.
    Thinking about it, I can think of one. Pepe Reina was let go by Barcelona 10 years ago. The point is, when Barcelona let go of players, they are on the right end of the deal in the vast majority of cases.

Jordi Alba is one off the top of my head anyway. Definitely a few more.

Knex. wrote: »
    Jordi Alba is one off the top of my head anyway. Definitely a few more.
    He left at 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

I would rather not take Tello if all he has is lots of pace. Sterling has pace to burn and has the potential to become a much better player if handled right.

He left at 16.

Ah right, I misread you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Thinking about it, I can think of one. Pepe Reina was let go by Barcelona 10 years ago. The point is, when Barcelona let go of players, they are on the right end of the deal in the vast majority of cases.

The common deal is the buyback - they and Madrid hedge their bets.

Madrid did it with Granero and Callejón.

Barca have something similar in place with Bojan.
    I think it's a bit complicated but Roma get him for 2 years. After that either Roma can pay an additional fee to secure his services or barca can pay a fee to get him back.

If we were to get Tello or Cuenca or whoever, I could see it being a deal like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Kirby wrote: »

The difference was, Barca were absolutely fuming when Fabregas went. Although they would have liked to keep Pique, it didn't make waves. Fabregas was considered to be the next Xavi at the time.

And the Mancs weren't too sad to see him go either.

Gbear wrote: »
    The common deal is the buyback - they and Madrid hedge their bets.

Madrid did it with Granero and Callejón.

Barca have something similar in place with Bojan.
    I think it's a bit complicated but Roma get him for 2 years. After that either Roma can pay an additional fee to secure his services or barca can pay a fee to get him back.

If we were to get Tello or Cuenca or whoever, I could see it being a deal like that.
    Barcelona have a buyback with all their young players, it almost never gets activated. I seem to remember Marc Crosas having one in his contract, even though he was clearly a terrible footballer.

The point I am trying to get across that if Barcelona are willing to let a player go to us, then the odds are stacked against him becoming the kind of top level player that we need. Real Madrid on the other hand are a different kettle of fish...

What you need to ask yourself is who at this club is approaching players and doing deals. 10 days to our first league game and we are faffing around, not only with potential signings but with our own players. If their was any solid direction we would have deals done and be telling other teams to fk off from trying to unsettle anyone at the club.

People here are constantly complaining about the thoughts of us paying £15m for Allen and how bad value it would be. We all know the how badly slated your Comolli was because of the deals he dead at those prices. Damned if you do and damned if you don't it seems.

Think they left Arteta go that year as well. Don't know how big a success you would deem him to be, or whether or not he could have succeeded at Barca though.

Thiago Motta, Saviola and Quaresma are other names I can think of.

I agree with what you're saying though. More thinking of players for amusements sake rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

People here are constantly complaining about the thoughts of us paying £15m for Allen and how bad value it would be. We all know the how badly slated your Comolli was because of the deals he dead at those prices. Damned if you do and damned if you don't it seems.

to be fair, LFC fans feel a bit aggrieved due to our severe fall from grace...
    hence damned if you do or dont...

we're a noticeably impossible crowd to please...sometimes it gets a bit out of hand, but the basis for it all is very understandable...

that frustration gif earlier actually was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Dirk Kuyt scored twice tonight for fenerbahce

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match/_/id/350274?cc=5739

Dirk Kuyt scored twice tonight for fenerbahce

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match/_/id/350274?cc=5739

Playing up front on his own it seems. Fair play to him.

Maybe they might sell us Moussa Sow now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Rumour has it that Liverpool have activated a release clause for Joe Allen

The Times say Liverpool have turned down a £20 million bid from Man City for Agger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

The Times say Liverpool have turned down a £20 million bid from Man City for Agger

But will accept anything north of £27million

But will accept anything north of £27million

Does it go on to say that? I've not read the article yet.

AzzafArCUAA8hpL.jpg

Who is responsible for Comolli getting the job?, who signed off the cheques?. Who invested heavily in 2 young players and didnt have the stones to follow it up with patience?. Who signed a manager who speaks well but seems very far out of his depth?. Who is handling the Agger business today?. WTF has Ian Ayre done to get the respect of doing football deals for a club the size of LFC?.

Its the same sh1te day after day. Ah well, it will be Kenny's fault for why we are squatting in mediocrity, sure Rodgers had no money after Kenny spent billions. Is that how we are going to justify things down the road?. FSG should crap or get off the pot. Here's an idea, if you want champions league football, attempt to sign that standard of player.

As much as I don't want to sell him, £27m is getting close to the kind of money you can't really turn down for Agger. That's just over €34m.

I'd still be very worried about our ability to sign a replacement though.

Does it go on to say that? I've not read the article yet.

According to Barrett yes 27 million because of contract renewal talks.

At that price (assuming a bid, Rodgers gets to spend it all - and considering Agger's fitness troubles) I'd be very tempted to take it

• Advertisement

Who is responsible for Comolli getting the job?, who signed off the cheques?. Who invested heavily in 2 young players and didnt have the stones to follow it up with patience?. Who signed a manager who speaks well but seems very far out of his depth?. Who is handling the Agger business today?. WTF has Ian Ayre done to get the respect of doing football deals for a club the size of LFC?.

Its the same sh1te day after day. Ah well, it will be Kenny's fault for why we are squatting in mediocrity, sure Rodgers had no money after Kenny spent billions. Is that how we are going to justify things down the road?. FSG should crap or get off the pot. Here's an idea, if you want champions league football, attempt to sign that standard of player.

So it's have a whinge when they do sign off on cheques and have a whinge when they don't?

Liverpool have rejected two bids from City for the Denmark international, the second valuing Agger at about £20 million. But they are prepared to do business if their asking price is met, with Rodgers hoping to use the proceeds from any sale to reinvest in his squad.

Liverpool have made it clear to Brian Marwood, City’s chief football administration officer, that they are seeking a fee of about £27 million for Agger. That valuation may appear unrealistic given the 27-year-old’s patchy fitness record, but Liverpool regard Agger as one of Europe’s best defenders and want a fee that reflects that status.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article3502239.ece#.UCLOR6OEYWY.twitter

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

AzzafArCUAA8hpL.jpg

If true, it makes a mockery of the official line on Sigurdsson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Allen looks to be in bag for £15mil :o

You can partially blame Comolli for that fee after paying excess of that for Henderson.

£27mil for Agger won't happen so I'm guessing it will be around £20mil and a player.

Another great piece of business .

Not!

Personally I think at £27 million it's time to give it serious consideration.

Last few days people have been moaning about the lack of players in - now it'll be a moan about how we are spending to much on a player. lol, gotta love this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

If true, it makes a mockery of the official line on Sigurdsson.

At it to the list.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Knex. wrote: »
    As much as I don't want to sell him, £27m is getting close to the kind of money you can't really turn down for Agger. That's just over €34m.

I'd still be very worried about our ability to sign a replacement though.

Agreed. Been pretty much saying the same on Twitter myself. If I'm honest, I'd take £25M + Guidetti (not ****ing Adam Johnson) and if we could guarantee one of my top 3 choices for potentially replacing Agger, I could live with that I reckon. Easier said than done though, and I seriously worry that Carra would be a regular starter.

All in all, I just wished it was Skrtel and not Agger that City wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Apparently Agger has come back to training with the letters YNWA tattooed across his fingers just below his knuckles. You can see he has had something done in this picture but not the actual letters. Poor Daniel if it's true.

633299497.jpg?key=350457&Expires=1344460250&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=fVohg9Na3RrN4s8Kl6hjtzujc3QuA~WzrI6hNZ-u8D3P1g4pHXz73-B7rE4~6F8BuI9-R0V6oc4Rmntc4Wz0KC0Ax-Iuu39U5s764I8ij08RAoTqNOxhpFRQkPEUWzScJuD9n9tC5A2dMPhrJOiq6dOAUmKDl1OzOuVLyXhDbk4_

Opr

• Advertisement

Leiva wrote: »
    Allen looks to be in bag for £15mil :o

You can partially blame Comolli for that fee after paying excess of that for Henderson.

£27mil for Agger won't happen so I'm guessing it will be around £20mil and a player.

Another great piece of business .

Not!

Can't blame Comolli for the fee... its the release clause, its not like they negotiated it.

As for 20 million plus a player, it all depends on who the player is. If its Adam Johnson (on a permanent deal) then I'd be taking it under serious consideration. If its Adebayor on a years loan...then no thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement