Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kess73 wrote: »
    Personally I would add Sakho to your list and take out Howedes. I don't think Howedes will move outside of Germany if he leave Schalke.

A player who I think would be a good potential replacement, but that I think will not move outside of the country he is in, is Angelo Ogbonna. Mentioned him some time ago on here but I really do think he has the potential to be close to a complete centre back.

Pace, strength, passing ability, strong in the air, strong in the tackle, good positional play, and has that cynical touch that many great Italian defenders have. Left footed as well.

Was Ogbonna strongly linked with Milan before the Mbiwa rumours or did I make that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

You had better have been standing on a street corner making that post on your phone. Because if you are not out there making money for me, the pimp cane is gonna go to work :D

Oh I love you too x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Daniel Agger with YNWA Tattoo'd on his knuckles?
    agger-tattoo.jpg

scary thing is these are normal size goals...

Carroll and Agger are BEASTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

opr wrote: »
    Times

:( For a footballer to show such loyalty to a club is so unheard of in this day and age. We should be doing everything to keep guys like this around the club.

I don't care if it's £40m. If Agger doesn't want to go then **** City and their money.

Opr

Is that Times article supposed to contain quotes from today's press conference. If so that is some very liberal paraphrasing of what was actually said.

Unless of course the Times are claiming that Rodgers has come out and said all of what is in that article in the past few hours and yet nobody else is carrying it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

That's a bit extreme. At £20-£25 million, I'd agree with you.

So hard to find footballers these days who actually care about wearing the shirt. We cry week in and week out about it as football fans but now the chance of blood money from a team buying the league and we're happy to sell that player out. No thanks, want no part.

Opr

El Spearo wrote: »
    scary thing is these are normal size goals...

Carroll and Agger are BEASTS

Balls to that. They are only the same height as me, and I am the short arse of the fellas in my family.

Is that Times article supposed to contain quotes from today's press conference. If so that is some very liberal paraphrasing of what was actually said.

Unless of course the Times are claiming that Rodgers has come out and said all of what is in that article in the past few hours and yet nobody else is carrying it :D

No it's not. Journalists often do a much longer interview sessions with the manager after the TV press conference.

Opr

amiable wrote: »
    Oh I love you too x

Love don't keep Pimp Kess in canes, money does. So get back to your corner and earn for me, Ho. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Gbear wrote: »
    I can't believe you see those as the only options.

You could of course not get bent over and if someone tries to sell you Allen for 15m you tell them to **** off and you go find another player.

He's fairly good but that's a mental price for him.

One of the lads on the Anfield Wrap summed it up well for me - we seem to get tunnel vision with players some times. There's millions of the ****ers. If there's no value in the British market you don't just meekly accept it; you go elsewhere.

Think of it last summer - we signed Stuart Downing for £20m.
    He's not some type of niche player. He's not critical to a style of play. You don't say "well, you drive a hard bargain, but how else am I going to sign Stuart Downing if I don't meet your asking price?"
    You say "**** Stuart Downing, I'll get one of the millions of other players that do as good a job or a better job or are better value for money".

Now 15m for Allen isn't on the same scale of insanity but we seem like a club that'll just meet other teams valuations for players as if each player has unique talents that make them simply indespensible.

That's fine if it's true and you're signing Suarez. Allen, from what he's shown thus far, is not that kind of player.

This isn't football manager were you can just buy another player in a an hour. Of course you refuse and you don't buy him, however you also have to accept the fact that you won't be able to buy any other players. We went after Sigursson, didn't get him, went after Dempsey an that seems to have died down as well since Fulham rejected our offers. There are the only ones we know about, rumours about plenty of others. Ramirez is another one. At some point you have to accept that players will see your desperation and exploit, you can either stand your ground and accept it or else stump up the cash. It seems that a lot Liverpool fans don't want either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

That's a bit extreme. At £20-£25 million, I'd agree with you.

So hard to find footballers these days who actually care about wearing the shirt. We cry week in and week out about it as football fans but now the chance of blood money from a team buying the league and we're happy to sell that player out. No thanks, want no part.

Opr

Agger doesnt have to leave, and he is good enough that the manager will still pick him regardless of what went on this summer.

We can't force him out and I don't see how we are. We are fielding offers from City and have rejected 20 million for Agger. We will no doubt accept any offer that meets our valuation. That is true of any player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It would really be a shame for us to sell a player who does not want to leave,
    Its a betrayal ,We are so quick to hate players who demand to leave,
    Yet the club will do same to Agger if our valuation is met,

Where is the loyalty from the club to the player ?

Times

:( For a footballer to show such loyalty to a club is so unheard of in this day and age. We should be doing everything to keep guys like this around the club.

I don't care if it's £40m. If Agger doesn't want to go then **** City and their money.

Opr

No place for loyalty in todays footballing age tbh. Although if Agger is desperate to stay he'll do it at a discount price on his new contract which would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It would really be a shame for us to sell a player who does not want to leave,
    Its a betrayal ,We are so quick to hate players who demand to leave,
    Yet the club will do same to Agger if our valuation is met,

Where is the loyalty from the club to the player ?

That's the unfortunate thing about the opposing forces of what the player wants, what the club wants and what the fans want. They are rarely aligned.

In this case I can see why the club might sell Agger, but I think they would be wrong to. But at over 25 million the waters start to muddy

No it's not. Journalists often do a much longer interview sessions with the manager after the TV press conference.

Opr

Well it has sections of direct quotes from today's press conference. Some of which have been mashed together in a different order to what was shown in the video on the official club site.

Reads to me like some of today's PC, a bit of paraphrasing, and the start of the swing towards a story about Agger getting a new contract or City pulling out and then Agger signs a new contract.

Interesting that they quoted lots of stuff from Rodgers but the one quote that would have confirmed the Times' brand new figure of £27m is missing. Instead they went with
    Liverpool have made it clear to Brian Marwood, City’s chief football administration officer, that they are seeking a fee of about £27 million for Agger

Liverpool have made it clear. No mention of who from Liverpool. Surely if they are so sure of the figure it would take to get Agger, £20m £22m £27m, and it is such a definite thing they could come out and say that Ayre told Marwood the price is £27m.

Nah I smell a lot of BS from the Times on this. £20m was the figure Agger would go for. No wait, £22m is the figure he will go for. No wait, £27m is the figure he will go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Accepting an offer and forcing the player to move are two different things.

I imagine, we will accept anything that is crazy money. £27m+ is bordering, if not already, just that. Do you honestly think if we accept it and Agger decides he doesn't want to leave then Rodgers is gonna be disappointed with him? Doubt it. Nor will Agger be too disappointed in the club, knowing damn well its crazy money.

Rodgers already said he wants him at the club, he just knows that when the fee reaches near the €40m mark that we would be mad not to accept it.

• Advertisement

Kess I'm not interested in what ever stupid argument you want to have about the press. Go and fire a few more handbags with Alan because it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

At that money it's a no brainer. Jaysus, players really hold all the cards these days, getting paid astronomical wages, getting huge signing on fees and telling clubs what they can or cannot accept, and some fans buy into it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

FFS. 12 inches out and he still can't put it in the net :pac:

OOQVf.jpg

K-9 wrote: »
    At that money it's a no brainer. Jaysus, players really hold all the cards these days, getting paid astronomical wages, getting huge sifning on fees and telling clubs what they can or cannot accept, and some fans buy into it.

I think we all fear just how the 40m would be spent............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This isn't football manager were you can just buy another player in a an hour. Of course you refuse and you don't buy him, however you also have to accept the fact that you won't be able to buy any other players. We went after Sigursson, didn't get him, went after Dempsey an that seems to have died down as well since Fulham rejected our offers. There are the only ones we know about, rumours about plenty of others. Ramirez is another one. At some point you have to accept that players will see your desperation and exploit, you can either stand your ground and accept it or else stump up the cash. It seems that a lot Liverpool fans don't want either.

Under an hour? We've had all f*cking summer to get deals done!

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    Under an hour? We've had all f*cking summer to get deals done!

So we should have caved in to other clubs demands? Fair enough.

Some Newcastle fans went beserk over Carroll, I suppose that shows football fans can go beserk over anything, even something that makes perfect sense.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I want agger to stay like everyone else but if a club comes in with a big sum of money that can improve the club even more then i would let that player go . Liverpool are not well off like other teams who can keep thier star players and still bring in big talents , we have to sell to improve. I have seen fans saying we need to sell henderson , downing , spearing etc.. Thats all well and good but who would buy them with the sum we payed other for spearing.
    If someone says they would turn down near 30 million for agger you are mad ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So we should have caved in to other clubs demands? Fair enough.

What? Are you taking the piss?

Again, it's like there's only two possible choices and the other one is invisible to you...

Allen is the only player in his position we've been linked with. It's been him from the start and we've shown no willingness (unless they're reaaalllly good at keeping secrets) to look at other targets in his position.

I think we all fear just how the 40m would be spent............

Based on Kenny and Comolli who are gone?

The only signing was Borini who many are saying was got cheaply, Allen, who considering what Siggurdson went for and importantly his wages, isn't that over priced, Dempsey who we have seemed to have cooled interest in once Fulham seen the pound signs.

Far too much reading press gossip and twitter nonsense.

If we feel the need to sell Agger due to 27m plus been offered,we should make a cheeky bid to sign
    Van Persie,

That's why i don't get,, We never even try to sign the best players,
    Just bid for them, If they except bid talk to Van persie,

Never know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Kess I'm not interested in what ever stupid argument you want to have about the press. Go and fire a few more handbags with Alan because it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Opr

Arguement? What arguement am I trying to have with you? I was questioning the article and it's contents. Hardly the same thing as having an arguement with you or trying to start an arguement with you.

Most people that post articles on here do so to spark some chat or to talk about the article that they just put up. You put up the article and I pointing out the reason why I thought the article was dodgy. I did not question your view or take on the article and I did say in my reply that I thought the Times was guilty of BS and made not mention or comment towards you or your opinion.

If you think the article is accurate, then cool, maybe you are right. I just think it is not. No big deal, and no reason for you to think I am looking for some imaginary row with you just because I wanted to debate the article you put up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The Echo now also going with 'Agger To Stay' story carrying the same quotes as The Times, but no figures quoted:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/09/liverpool-fc-dismiss-offer-from-manchester-city-from-danish-defender-daniel-agger-gallery-100252-31581945/
    LIVERPOOL FC have dismissed an offer from Manchester City for Daniel Agger - with manager Brendan Rodgers reiterating that the club have little intention of selling the centre-half.

The Reds manager confirmed that the Premier League champions made an approach for the Danish international but says Agger has committed himself to Anfield.

If he hasn't signed a new deal by deadline day he'll probably be sold last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

th_f25fa99c.gif

gafferino wrote: »
    th_f25fa99c.gif

bouncing boobs work better ;)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Personally I would add Sakho to your list and take out Howedes. I don't think Howedes will move outside of Germany if he leave Schalke.

A player who I think would be a good potential replacement, but that I think will not move outside of the country he is in, is Angelo Ogbonna. Mentioned him some time ago on here but I really do think he has the potential to be close to a complete centre back.

Pace, strength, passing ability, strong in the air, strong in the tackle, good positional play, and has that cynical touch that many great Italian defenders have. Left footed as well.

I'd have said Sakho, but for the reason it's PSG we'd be dealing with plus I found the comments in this article interesting.

Said it numerous times on Twitter, but Ogbonna will stay in Italy IMHO. Very much looking forward to seeing him in Seria A this coming season with Torinio. Only a matter of time before one of the big Italian clubs sign him.

th_f25fa99c.gif

I'm glad you figured out how to post GIFs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Azz2CR9CEAA3B42.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

amiable wrote: »
    I'm glad you figured out how to post GIFs :)

ha ha its not a proper reply without a gif!

For Kess

th_dfd9b23d9e1d25a92466a5657d320422.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

daithijjj wrote: »
    Azz2CR9CEAA3B42.jpg

You're Not Wanted Anymore?

bouncing boobs work better ;)
    bouncing_tits_08.gif

Arguement? What arguement am I trying to have with you? I was questioning the article and it's contents. Hardly the same thing as having an arguement with you or trying to start an arguement with you.

Most people that post articles on here do so to spark some chat or to talk about the article that they just put up. You put up the article and I pointing out the reason why I thought the article was dodgy. I did not question your view or take on the article and I did say in my reply that I thought the Times was guilty of BS and made not mention or comment towards you or your opinion.

If you think the article is accurate, then cool, maybe you are right. I just think it is not. No big deal, and no reason for you to think I am looking for some imaginary row with you just because I wanted to debate the article you put up.

See this is the point the only thing I cared about in the article was the direct quotes. I'm not into micro analysing news articles to prove some point that I don't think anyone on the thread cares about. City want to buy Agger, club may sell at a price, seems Agger would prefer to stay. This is as far as I care about the story until he signs a new contract or stays.

As far as what newspaper gets what right or wrong I couldn't give a toss. I only posted the times piece because it carried quotes from Agger which I hadn't seen posted on the thread today and they made me a little angry that we may be forcing him out when he wants to stay.

Opr

-Ade- wrote: »
    I'd have said Sakho, but for the reason it's PSG we'd be dealing with plus I found the comments in this article interesting.

Said it numerous times on Twitter, but Ogbonna will stay in Italy IMHO. Very much looking forward to seeing him in Seria A this coming season with Torinio. Only a matter of time before one of the big Italian clubs sign him.

Yeah I think that Ogbonna will stay in Italy his whole career. Does not stop me wishing though as I think he is going to be soimething special and is already a pretty well rounded player. There was a rumour about Milan looking at him this summer, and that would make sense now that Silva is gone from there.

Speaking of young Italian centre backs. Have you seen Simone Benedetti play? Saw a few videos of him during the season just gone and although it was only two or so hours worth of footage on him alone, he looked very impressive. Inter and Torino own him but loaned him to Gubbio last season and have loaned him to Spezia for the coming season. Keep an eye out for him or for reports on him. Have a feeling that he will become one of the young players to watch over the coming season or two. He looks as good on the right side of a CB pairing to my eyes as Ogbonna did on the left during his breakthrough season four seasons back.

Not sure about that article on Sakho though. The article that was on here the other day had direct quotes from the player that were part of a radio interview he did, and the interview was replayed on 90elf. In it he speaks about liking the idea of playing in England and even suggested that playing in England might be a more favourable option at this point of his career than moving to Milan.

The falling out he has had at PSG with Ancelotti , the backroom team and one of the club's higher ups has been pretty spectacular and very public though. Ancelotti has not held back in comments about the player being replaceable in tv interviews, dropped him from the team, and took the captain's armband off of him.

The number two at the club and the higher up all made comments on tv and on the radio about the player's attitude, about his weight etc.

Personally I would be surprised if he was still at PSG next season and that a semi decent offer would see Ancelotti happy to be rid of the player. But if I am to be honest I don't think we will be in for him and have a horrible feeling that he might actually end up at Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

daithijjj wrote: »
    Azz2CR9CEAA3B42.jpg
    Well that makes selling him awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

@thisisanfield: Wolves have rejected Liverpool’s bid of £500,000 for goalkeeper Dorus de Vries, 31. Wolves want £1million. (Daily Mail)

See this is the point the only thing I cared about in the article was the direct quotes. I'm not into micro analysing news articles to prove some point that I don't think anyone on the thread cares about. City want to buy Agger, club may sell at a price, seems Agger would prefer to stay. This is as far as I care about the story until he signs a new contract or stays.

As far as what newspaper gets what right or wrong I couldn't give a toss. I only posted the times piece because it carried quotes from Agger which I hadn't seen posted on the thread today and they made me a little angry that we may be forcing him out when he wants to stay.

Opr

If you don't care about what paper gets it right or wrong, then why bother getting angry over something in a paper then? :pac:

Not trying to sound like I am slagging you off, but I kind of envy the fact that you can read paper articles and just accept whatever content is in them at face value regardless of whether or not the same paper is churning out slightly different versions of the one story in a fairly short span of time, and then waiting for the final outcome in the real world instead.

Details tend to stick in my head and it annoys me when "facts" in the media get tweaked to keep fitting a story or agenda. Hillsborough was the big eyeopener in my life with regards to newspapers and how they massage the news to suit the story they want to put across, and I think for better or worse I have grown up paying attention to any little variations in stories in the media, especially when one paper does it. Sometimes paying extra attention is a blessing, other times I, usually unintentionally and without malice, rub people the wrong way with my habit as I did with you.

Sigh, I am getting angry about the direct quotes from Rodgers. I have journalists who I know to avoid and the ones I follow who get it right more than most. This is exactly the silly **** why I didn't want to get into this in the first place.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well that makes selling him awkward.

I don't think he'll be sold. LFC saying £27m is just a tactic of scaring Man City off (most likely) or if they offer it then bite the hand off them.

Sigh, I am getting angry about the direct quotes from Rodgers. I have journalists who I know to avoid and the ones I follow who get it right more than most. This is exactly the silly **** why I didn't want to get into this in the first place.

Opr

Chill out. I did have a :pac: beside the line about getting angry to let you know I was messing with you with that comment. Nothing more to that line than that.

There is no silly sh1t for you to get into because we are not having a debate on it. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Kess vs opr in the sh1test arguement ever seen in the Liverpool thread. :pac:

• Advertisement

ha ha its not a proper reply without a gif!

For Kess

th_dfd9b23d9e1d25a92466a5657d320422.gif

That's a seriously gay pic. Also £47 Million pounds worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

In relation to the match tonight, is it still on sh1tty Setanta Sports 1?

EDIT: Coming from Ben Smith on the BBC website
    Liverpool have made a £15m bid for Swansea's Joe Allen, triggering a release clause in the Wales international's contract.

The 22-year-old midfielder held talks with Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins on Wednesday and will meet with manager Michael Laudrup on Thursday.

Liverpool are now confident they can proceed quickly to complete the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Vicxas wrote: »
    In relation to the match tonight, is it still on sh1tty Setanta Sports 1?

EDIT: Coming from Ben Smith on the BBC website

Yes Setanta over here, ESPN in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

Wonder how the city fans would welcome Agger with that tattoo he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭RayCon

doc_17 wrote: »
    Wonder how the city fans would welcome Agger with that tattoo he has.

YOU'LL
    NEVER
    WANT
    AGGER

?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement