Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I mean, people are trumping FSG's business mind and the realities of money, etc on one hand; then suggesting that Joe Allen could be 'good business' at £15m on the other. I don't get it.

FSG coming down hard on Rodgers and saying 'we refuse to sanction £15m for this type of player, it isn't anywhere near a palatable valuation' would be fine by me. That's financial prudence that makes sense. It's just mad that we're talking about how a £25m bid for Agger should be strongly considered so that we can get money to buy players if we're willing to spend £15m on Joe Allen.

Ugh, so many things to be angry and frustrated about with respect to Liverpool the last few months. :(
    we could have went for Gago but he went to Valencia for 5 Million Euro's
    or went for Borjo Valero from Villarreal
    that just to name 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

do youz think allen will be announced on the website tonight after the game?

i'd say he'll be next in then it will be de vries for about a million.

a loan or two on deadline day and a late bid for dempsey could be our lot i think unless agger is sold in which case we'll buy one of them

i personally would buy a left-back and get an out and out striker as one of our loan deals but the loan links are all attacking midfielders/wingers like afellay and tello

who will score 20 for us next season? suarez 10-15 borini 10-15 if he gets his game all season, can't see a 20 plus man anywhere - who will play in the middle of our front three???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I always laugh when people object vigorously to the renaming of Anfield, yet are in favour of moving ground. To put that in perspective, they're happy to see Anfield bulldozed, but not renamed. Slightly bizarre
    opr wrote: »
    I was really impressed with some of their players. They all seemed to have such good close control and technical ability. The midfielder in the centre of the park who plays for Celtic was particularly impressive, Ki.

Opr

Ki's one of those players who would stand out more in a better league. What he offers Celtic is not always required in the SPL. I think he'd shine in the CL though if Celtic qualify and providing he starts, given the quality and numbers Celtic have in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

its a done deal.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Soccer: Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho says Kaka can leave the Spanish champions this summer, but only for the right price. The Brazilian has been linked with a return to AC Milan and was in sparkling form with two assists as Real thrashed his old club 5-1 in a friendly last night.

However, with Real still chasing Tottenham’s Luka Modric and Angel Di Maria and Mesut Ozil seemingly above Kaka in Mourinho’s pecking order, it is likely the former World Player of the Year will become surplus to requirements once the season gets underway.

Mourinho told AS: “If Kaka stays I would be happy and I am happy if he wants to go. In football it is normal that the players play where they want. He is a very good footballer and prepared to be at his maximum level. If he decides to stay, then perfect. If he goes, that’s perfect too but we are not going to give him away for free. Those that want him have to pay for him.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Will he even get game time if Lucas and Gerrard are fit?

If you mean Allen, should he be signed, then I think the answer is yes as he would do a different role in a three man midfield to the two you named.

If you mean Henderson, then the answer is no imho as he is an inferior player to Lucas in the DM/recycler role, vastly inferior to Gerrard in any advanced role, and inferior to Allen in terms of influence on a game..

donfers wrote: »
    do youz think allen will be announced on the website tonight after the game?

i'd say he'll be next in then it will be de vries for about a million.

a loan or two on deadline day and a late bid for dempsey could be our lot i think unless agger is sold in which case we'll buy one of them

i personally would buy a left-back and get an out and out striker as one of our loan deals but the loan links are all attacking midfielders/wingers like afellay and tello

who will score 20 for us next season? suarez 10-15 borini 10-15 if he gets his game all season, can't see a 20 plus man anywhere - who will play in the middle of our front three???

If you mean 20 goals in all comps, then I think Suarez will hit that figure and that Borini will be in and around the 17 to 20 mark in all comps.

If you mean 20 goals in the league alone, then based on Rodger's comments about Borini and Suarez, I would have to say that Suarez would be my bet for that.

Rodger's comments about Borini may answer your question about playing in the middle.

"We have to remember he is just coming back from the European Championships and, once we get Luis back, he will give us greater penetration from the left and improve the team."

That suggests that Rodgers will put Borini in the left sided wide forward role and Suarez in the centre when both are on the pitch at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

gafferino wrote: »
    KAKA story

always laugh at that name as its sh*t sh*t in irish

(well more sh*t sh but always hear the end bit too)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

danniemcq wrote: »
    always laugh at that name as its sh*t sh*t in irish

(well more sh*t sh but always hear the end bit too)

same in German, except just the one ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Looks like the Agger Tattoo is almost certainly real. Supposedly a high quality image in a Norwegian paper.

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/labrador/228/228855/22885521/jpg/active/978x.jpg

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Looks like the Agger Tattoo is almost certainly real. Supposedly a high quality image in a Norwegian paper.

Opr

why the spoiler?

and also does anyone else thing that the letters just arent in line enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Opr

indian ink must be making a comeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

That will look great when he's holding up the City jersey. :pac:

El Spearo wrote: »
    why the spoiler?

and also does anyone else thing that the letters just arent in line enough?

Ugh, was messing with the image as was too big when I embed and spoilered by mistake.

I guess we will find out one way or the other at the game tonight.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

On the naming rights issue, does anyone here actually call St.James' Park, Sports Direct Arena?

I know I don't, nor do any of my Newcastle supporting friends.

Anfield will still be known as Anfield, and I'd imagine the This is Anfield sign will remain regardless of the sponsorship name of the stadium.

In this day and age we can't really afford not to look into the possibility.

Edit: Playing catchup, Slick already mentioned St.James' Park.

Joe Allen tells Swansea to stop ****ing around he wants to join Liverpool.
    JOE ALLEN has told Swansea City he is ready to complete a record-breaking move to Liverpool FC.

The Wales midfielder is set for a £15m move to Anfield after former Swans boss Brendan Rodgers told his former employers he is prepared to meet the buy-out clause the 22-year-old's contract.

Allen trained with Swansea this morning, but has told both club chairman Jenkins and manager Michael Laudrup of his intention to take up the offer of being reunited with Rodgers.

It will bring an end to a summer of speculation over the Team GB playmaker and make him the costliest Welsh player in history, the £15m fee larger than the £14m Manchester City paid West Ham for Allen's Olympic teammate Craig Bellamy in 2009.

It represents a huge blow for Swansea who had seen Narbeth-born Allen as a key player in their progress as a Premier League club, the youth-team product having signed a four-year deal last summer.

However, in that contract existed a release clause that would be triggered at £15m by a selection of clubs, Swansea powerless if that figure was reached.

It was on this technicality that Rodgers was able to get around a 12-month "player protection" agreement made when he quit the Liberty for Anfield in May. The Northern Irishman confirmed himself at the time of his move he was unable to make moves for Swansea players unless they were made available for sale.

But despite Swansea citing that agreement when they angrily rejected a £12.5m offer at the end of last month from Liverpool, they had long accepted the young midfielder would be on his way once the offer was upped.

Manager Laudrup had called for a swift end to the saga earlier this week following Allen's return to the club after his Olympics involvement, stressing he would speak to the player for his opinion on the move but warned that Liverpool would need to hit that £15m figure.

Liverpool are yet to make that offer in writing, but have verbally indicated that they are now ready to make the deal happen.

Spurs had been touted as potential suitors of Allen, who made his Swansea debut at the age of 16 in 2007 and wowed observers in his maiden Premier League campaign.

But Liverpool were always the more likely to push through a deal because of Rodgers' long-standing admiration for the player who he will believe is key to helping him implement his style on the Liverpool side.

Swansea will be in no rush to find a replacement for Allen with Jonathan de Guzman used in his central role in the 4-2 friendly win over Blackpool in midweek, although they have registered an interest in Bolton midfielder Mark Davies.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2012/08/09/joe-allen-tells-swansea-city-he-wants-to-join-liverpool-fc-91466-31587451/

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He should go out and get swan tattooed across his knuckles.....that will speed things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I dont see any quotes there opr!!!! :mad::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Hard to believe the season is just 10 days away. :rolleyes:

Wow, that is really sobering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wouldnt consider wales online to be at the forefront of transfer news either,

Or is that just me?

I dont see any quotes there opr!!!! :mad::pac:

I did not want to say in case it caused more tears :p

• Advertisement

I would have thought me suggesting that he has said something and then posting an article without quotes people would see the funny side like Missingtime but I guess others aren't that bright.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

MD1990 wrote: »
    there are tons of of Midfielders in Spain,Portugal, & Italy who are as good or if not better than Allen
    who would cost 5-10 Million

that maybe true but unless a player plays for swansea or played for swansea in the past brendan ain't interested :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wouldnt consider wales online to be at the forefront of transfer news either,

Or is that just me?

Local paper, trust them above anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Jesus lads, seems like a few peoples periods are in sync in this place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

So when Allen comes, who will be the main deep-lying playmaker, him or Lucas?

£15m seems steep but I like what I see in him and at least he knows exactly what his role will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

That will look great when he's holding up the City jersey. :pac:

He can always get the 'Y' removed and pass himself off as a huge fan of (imho) overrated gangsta rap from the early 90's

I would have thought me suggesting that he has said something and then posting an article without quotes people would see the funny side like Missingtime but I guess others aren't that bright.

Opr

Oh stop being a child with your little insults. You talk about others seeing the funny side but when I again make it obvious with the smiley that I was messing, you start whinging like a little baby again.

Missingtime's comment was funny and that was why I responded with a bit of banter that was aimed at a coversation a few from here had on messenger last night that revolved around how me going on and on about quotes was going to end in tears, hence my tears comment.

Also you and I had no difference of opinion or debate over quotes and the sources of quotes. That went on between Alan and I, so you jumping in with a snide little insult and assuming it was about you really does highlight which person is not bright enough.

Jesus lads, seems like a few peoples periods are in sync in this place :pac:

Seems that way seeing as I was making a joke at my own expense based on what a few on here were ribbing me over whilst we were chatting on messenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

ding ding .....Round 2

You two give it over its like watching a Mum and Dad having a fight.

fond of both but won't take sides :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Morzadec wrote: »
    So when Allen comes, who will be the main deep-lying playmaker, him or Lucas?

£15m seems steep but I like what I see in him and at least he knows exactly what his role will be.

I'd imagine that Lucas would be deepest with Allen in front of him, getting on the ball as much as possible and recycling it. Alonso was the last player we had did this*.

*I'm not saying Allen is nearly as good as Alonso, just that they play similar roles when the team has the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Kess73 wrote: »
    Seems that way seeing as I was making a joke at my own expense based on what a few on here were ribbing me over whilst we were chatting on messenger.

I was only joking btw, in case some people didnt get that :o

:pac:

Has there been any rumours on Carroll in the last week or so, things seem to have gone very quiet on that front.

Leiva wrote: »
    ding ding .....Round 2

You two give it over its like watching a Mum and Dad having a fight.

fond of both but won't take sides :p

There is no round 2. Hell there was no proper round 1 for that matter. I was taking the mick out of myself, and OPR seemed to think that it was all about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Knex. wrote: »
    On the naming rights issue, does anyone here actually call St.James' Park, Sports Direct Arena?

I know I don't, nor do any of my Newcastle supporting friends.

Anfield will still be known as Anfield, and I'd imagine the This is Anfield sign will remain regardless of the sponsorship name of the stadium.

In this day and age we can't really afford not to look into the possibility.

Edit: Playing catchup, Slick already mentioned St.James' Park.

People don't really call it Eastlands anymore. It's the Etihad.

The same with Lansdowne Road. I just assumed that people would keep calling it that but they really don't anymore :(. They just say the Aviva.

Some stadiums "retain" their name after the sponsorship and some don't. It kind of depends on the name to be honest. The Sports Direct Arena is a long enough name so I think thats a factor in people not using it. Even some sky journo's refuse to use it....and that's saying something.

I can't see any sponsor agreeing to split their name with Anfield and risk having their name being dropped......like the hyphenated names people have. The second half just gets dropped. No sponsor will agree to that.

While I would see the need for sponsorship, If I was a liverpool fan I would be wary of losing the Anfield name.

Kess you have some weird sensibility about getting all upset when someone passes a snide remark which you seem to have no problem doing yourself only you seem to think adding some sort of stupid smiley excuses it. Sorry if you're going to give it then expect others to give it back.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Kirby wrote: »
    People don't really call it Eastlands anymore. It's the Etihad.

The same with Lansdowne Road. I just assumed that people would keep calling it that but they really don't anymore :(. They just say the Aviva.

Some stadiums "retain" their name after the sponsorship and some don't. It kind of depends on the name to be honest. The Sports Direct Arena is a long enough name so I think thats a factor in people not using it. Even some sky journo's refuse to use it....and that's saying something.

I can't see any sponsor agreeing to split their name with Anfield and risk having their name being dropped......like the hyphenated names people have. The second half just gets dropped. No sponsor will agree to that.

While I would see the need for sponsorship, If I was a liverpool fan I would be wary of losing the Anfield name.
    The thing about Eastlands is that it was a new stadium anyway, and had no history or tradition to begin with, relatively speaking. As for the Aviva, I know plenty who still call it Lansdowne but I do see your point.

And I agree with ya on the name length being a factor. Should Anfield be re-named (for example) the Standard Chartered Arena, we've nothing to worry about. If some guy called Bob buys the naming rights... be worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Amiable!!!!!! Quick....we need a GIF. you know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

*readies Kleenex*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

gafferino wrote: »
    Amiable!!!!!! Quick....we need a GIF. you know what to do.

did i do it right ? .. Kess can confirm ;)

Bluetits-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Some very interesting reading here...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I always laugh when people object vigorously to the renaming of Anfield, yet are in favour of moving ground. To put that in perspective, they're happy to see Anfield bulldozed, but not renamed. Slightly bizarre

I think people are happy to see a sponsored new stadium (or a redeveloped Anfield) because it would offset the cost of said stadium. Overall they'd probably be delighted, as having a new stadium would be indicative of real progress. It would be a sacrifice that shows the club going forward - using the club's long history as a foundation for it's long term future.

On the other hand, renaming Anfield as it is before deciding what plans we have for redevelopment or for a new stadium seems to me like selling a piece of the club's history rather than building from it, and if done, it's because of lack of investment and progress, and would be indicative of the club's regression.

And while Anfield would be demolished for the most part I'd have thought that if they're building a new stadium at Stanley Park the site of the old stadium would be redeveloped to provide a campus a bit like at Eastlands or used for hospitality, and not just sold to a developer. At the very least I'd like to see some help given to residents whose streets are full of derelict homes left to rot by the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ft9 wrote: »
    Some very interesting reading here...:pac:

I could have sworn I seen this somewhere before.

Kess you have some weird sensibility about getting all upset when someone passes a snide remark which you seem to have no problem doing yourself only you seem to think adding some sort of stupid smiley excuses it. Sorry if you're going to give it then expect others to give it back.

Opr

Well if you want to keep thinking it was about you despite being told it was not, then that will be your problem. I had nearly a dozen boardsies ribbing me last night about how I had gone ott over quotes the past few days, and Missingtime's post, which I replied to, just had shades of that conversation so I put out the tears comment as a bit of a nod and wink over how I was told last night it would end in tears for me if I kept getting wound up over quotes.

So throw out your "if you give it then expect others to give it back" comment all you like, because the only one of us two that is throwing snide remarks directly at the other is you. So if you want just keep assuming, wrongly, that I was talking about you and keep sniping if that works for you.

I have now said a number of times there was no comment aimed at you. If you cannot take that onboard or if you prefer to see some imaginary vendetta against you, then knock yourself fella but I have no interest in fighting with you over something that does not exist.

Leiva wrote: »
    did i do it right ? .. Kess can confirm ;)

Bluetits-1.jpg

Prefer Great Tits. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

With regards the naming

aviva will always be lansdowne rd to me and most people i know

although the Anfield Warrior Bowl would be kinda cool......

lol, me dragging this out. I pretty much said from the outset I didn't want to have anything to do with this conversation but here we are god knows how many pages later because you're like a dog with a bone.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

desperate times call for desperate measures...a change of subject it is...

Rafa Benitez should be the manager of Liverpool FC.

Discuss.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tusky wrote: »
    Just catching up on recent transfer news (I'm away travelling) and I'm so disappointed with the Agger developments. From reading Rodgers comments, it's clear that he is off (once Man City make a bigger offer) which really frustrates me.

The rot at Liverpool will not be corrected by selling our best players. Every player has their price? I disagree. We failed to replace Torres despite getting stupid money. We also failed to replace Alonso and Mascherano. I have zero faith in us properly replacing Agger. Let's stop selling our best players and start surrounding them with quality players instead. This is a guy who is future captain quality, loves the club, and has plenty of years left at the top of his game. I would argue that he is just about to come into his prime.

...and our rumored targets fill me with a whole big pile of MEH also. I thought we were going to be much more aggressive in this window.

I don't get this logic, if we sell Agger we'll only replace him with crap so keep him and we'll suddenly buy quality players!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

danniemcq wrote: »
    With regards the naming

aviva will always be lansdowne rd to me and most people i know

although the Anfield Warrior Bowl would be kinda cool......

The Anfield Warrior stadium is definitely a great name and the money we could get would probably pay for the upgrade to 60/65K fans and some spare change left over. IMO this would be the ideal solution to the whole stadium debate.

I remember reading that Warrior were interested in the naming rights when they took over the shirt sponsorship.

lol, me dragging this out. I pretty much said from the outset I didn't want to have anything to do with this conversation but here we are god knows how many pages later because you're like a dog with a bone.

Opr

Yep like a dog with a bone despite it being you who cannot take it at face value that I was not talking about you and despite the fact that I made no comment at all to you about last night's chat since we dropped the topic last night.

I was not having any dig at you in the first place, and as such I have no arguement with you on it. So lets just it drop and stop trying to stick in comments about not being bright or comments about dogs with bones .

But if you want to keep this going, I have to warn you that I am warming up this bad boy

pacman.png

and a few of his mates

pacman.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't get this logic, if we sell Agger we'll only replace him with crap so keep him and we'll suddenly buy quality players!

If making a change would leave you worse off, stand pat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement