Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

opr wrote: »
    Did anyone see the interview? This is the other quote in which he seems to be having a pop at the owners? I can't understand why he would mention them specifically.

"It might not be in Daniel's hands. At the end of the day it's up to the owners."

Opr

Taking the heat of Rodgers maybe? That it wasnt him selling Agger.

The other side of that then is why didnt Rodgers stand up against the owners to say I dont want him sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Rodgers said yesterday he doesn't have to sell anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

A fee has been agreed for Allen rogers has said according to the Twitter monster. I only saw the 2nd half but was very impressed, ok they're a small eastern European side but ya can only beat what's put in front of ya. Delighted borini is off the mark oh and glen, take a bow son :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Downing was good tonight I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Stevie is smart. He knows Agger would be a big loss, and so he wants him to stay. Let's out a little bit of news, which to be honest is no big surprise, and hopes for a sh!tstorm to ensue forcing FSG to back down...

I'm not sure if it will work, but it's another sign that all involved want Agger to stay. I am very pro-FSG, but this stinks to be honest. Like we all know the investment debates we've had...like investment vs income from transfers and FSG not spending that much at all.

Now this seems to smell the same...I'm all for good business, and I'm all for working along with the FIFA rules (if they are even in yet) but screw it...City break FIFA rules by overspending to buy Agger but we abide by the rules in selling Agger...why should we be the bum jockeys in the whole situation..

/rant (god i hope what im saying makes some sort of sense or im more tired that i thought)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Did anyone see the interview? This is the other quote in which he seems to be having a pop at the owners? I can't understand why he would mention them specifically.

"It might not be in Daniel's hands. At the end of the day it's up to the owners."

Opr

Not in Daniel's hands? Its all over his knuckles!

Milkers wrote: »
    Downing was good tonight I thought.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Rodgers also said before the game that he regards him as an important part of the squad and wants to keep him.

Gerrard said it may be out of Agger's hands.

If he does leave, you don't have to be a genius to figure out who's behind it.

Although if we did get close to £30m, i think we would have to let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Rodgers has confirmed a fee was agreed. Not sure where exactly he said it though but its rampant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Is the official site giving everyone errors? Maybe they're about to put up a big news story! :p

Got this....

Joe Allen @JoeAOfficial
    I've been told I can confirm it to you now: I have joined Liverpool Football Club on a longterm contract. Medical is tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I read that Bröndby get 15% of the sale price for Agger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Gerrard making it public he's getting sold against his wishes. I can't believe Stevie wouldn't know exactly what he was doing when making those comments.

Opr

I think you're reading too much into it. Gerrard is no spin doctor; he can barely string a sentence together. I'd say it's just the plain truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement

Also this From BR :

“If he’s in the director’s box he’s had permission from Swansea to be here so we’ve obviously agreed a fee”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Slattsy wrote: »
    Rodgers has confirmed a fee was agreed. Not sure where exactly he said it though but its rampant.

Christ I thought you meant Agger, don't do that to me :p

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If you ask me I want Daniel Agger to stay. I want all the good players to stay.
    Decision may be out of Agger's hands.

Sounds quiet ominous. One of two scenarios I would imagine. Either Rodgers feels that the current side less Agger with £20m to invest would be a stronger position to be in then the current one, or the owners want to cash in.

I would imagine however that if it were the latter, surely Allen wouldn't be pursued and Carroll may have gone at this stage. The former would seem to tie in with Rodgers earlier comments regarding every player having a price

If he does go, I think it will be Rodgers decision and not at the insistence of the owners.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

mike65 wrote: »

Er, doesn't the medical come BEFORE a contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

dmigsy wrote: »
    I think you're reading too much into it. Gerrard is no spin doctor; he can barely string a sentence together. I'd say it's just the plain truth.

I'm not saying it isn't the truth but Gerrard is well aware the truth like that should not be made public knowledge by him in an after game interview.

Opr

• Advertisement

Christ I thought you meant Agger, don't do that to me :p

Opr

Ooops sorry mate.

From Gerrards comment anyway its doesnt look good, He's obviously privy to whats going on... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What a load of bollox.

mike65 wrote: »

I also share doubts as to the veracity of this account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Maybe Joe Allen is just an fc gomel fan...

i feel this thread is about to explode...think uncharted while sitting back and enjoying the view is my plan now.

No doubt Joe will have to delete it like the Suarez thing. :pac:

and the club site has allen-ready exploded....502 errors for everyone, miniture lfc flags for others.

What a load of bollox.

Excellent point, well made. It's good to see the art of debating is alive and kicking.

Do you think he's some sort of media guru / genius? Any examples of his eloquence? He seems a nice enough fella but never comes across as having too much going on upstairs. Getting in bar fights in his spare time doesn't help this impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Dudes, you know the Allen account is fake right?....right? :pac:

El Spearo wrote: »
    and the club site has allen-ready exploded....502 errors for everyone, miniture lfc flags for others.

Bring back Hicks and Gilette, all is forgiven.
    ffs, embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

Can't believe LFC are going to pay £15m for Joe Allen. Will they ever learn?

Gilfy Sig at 8m looks a bargain at this stage

On a lighter note.... guess who's coming home on Sunday :)

article-0-0263274B000004B0-737_468x286.jpg

El Spearo wrote: »
    On a lighter note.... guess who's coming home on Sunday :)

article-0-0263274B000004B0-737_468x286.jpg

It'll be like a new signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

All I know is that this

263_50241c05a89d6695887416.jpg

looked damn good and I hope we see it again and again this season.

I suppose i'll put allen into my Fantasy footie team now ;)

Not bad value at 5.5 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Didn't see most of the match, did Borini have a good game?

Kess73 wrote: »
    All I know is that this

263_50241c05a89d6695887416.jpg

looked damn good and I hope we see it again and again this season.

He wouldnt have got away with that in 1940's.......

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Gerrard is no spin doctor; he can barely string a sentence together
    Do you think he's some sort of media guru / genius? Any examples of his eloquence?

There's a gulf between being a media guru/genius and not being able to string a sentence together. People aren't necessarily one or the other

Your posts may be grammatically correct and spell checked, but they're mutton dressed as lamb

While Gerrard is unlikely to split the atom, he's no fool. He generally comes across as a well grounded decent fella, with a personality. He was good for the banter on goals on sunday last year

As for the bar fight, well with the intensity of the attention he commands, over such a prolonged period of time (13 years), coupled with the fact that any Liverpool Captain is going to be a divisive figure particularly when Liverpool is his home town, one incident in 13 years isn't bad going IMO

More BR quotes from after the game on Allen :

"I hope to conclude the deal in the next 24 hours,"
    "It is imminent."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Mr Alan wrote: »

See Kess below

He wouldnt have got away with that in 1940's.......

:o

saying he would take the bite the blade? lots of people during the war would have gotten medals for such an attitude :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

More BR quotes from after the game on Allen :

"I hope to conclude the deal in the next 24 hours,"
    "It is imminent."

Ok so that is definite. Hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mr Alan wrote: »

Yes. Worked hard. Linked up well. Was able to read other player's actions in order to make runs for them and also to spot their runs. Took his goal well and looked a goal threat a number of other times in the game.

Will only get better once he figures out the players around him and they figure him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Does anyone remember last January when Mancini was complaining about Glenn Johnson's tackle in the League Cup Semi first leg and Gerrard barged in and called him a dirty hypocrite to his face? Tonight's interview was more of the same - Captain, leader.

That's standing up to the owners - he knew exactly what he was doing.

I've criticised his game at times, and I don't think he understands (or ever understood) what his best position is, but you can't fault his love for the club. Fair ****ing play to him.

Go on FSG, you lousy *****. Sell one of our best players and watch your free ride from the fans end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Kess73 wrote: »
    Will only get better once he figures out the players around him and they figure him out.
    Yeah, early signs are good and things will only get better as the season wears on. Very early days of course, but it's looking like a good piece of business!

• Advertisement

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Gerrard is no spin doctor; he can barely string a sentence together
    Do you think he's some sort of media guru / genius? Any examples of his eloquence?

There's a gulf between being a media guru/genius and not being able to string a sentence together. People aren't necessarily one or the other

Your posts may be grammatically correct and spell checked, but they're mutton dressed as lamb

While Gerrard is unlikely to split the atom, he's no fool. He generally comes across as a well grounded decent fella, with a personality. He was good for the banter on goals on sunday last year

As for the bar fight, well with the intensity of the attention he commands, over such a prolonged period of time (13 years), coupled with the fact that any Liverpool Captain is going to be a divisive figure particularly when Liverpool is his home town, one incident in 13 years isn't bad going IMO

Yep, some good points there - your third sentence makes no sense though. I'm not anti-Gerrard. My original post was a response to the idea that Gerrard is intentionally using the media to pressure the owners. I don't buy it. I simply don't think he's that smart.

I think that the depth of analysis that goes on in here is fairly ridiculous at times. Every sentence uttered by either players or manager is over-analysed. I think it's better to treat what was said at face value and wait for actual news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Liverpool owner John W. Henry has stated that the club could sell the naming rights to Anfield if they found the right partner, but it is not an option that they have pursued as of yet.

The club has been in turmoil for some time over whether to redevelop their current ground or make a move to a new home, but the owner is open to an naming

"A naming rights deal at Anfield could occur, I suppose, if the partner were right. We haven't pursued it," Henry told The Tomkins Times.

Henry also insists that winning the League Cup was an important moment for the club last season but has written off his team's chances of winning the Premier League title this season.

He continued: "You don't just compete for money; you compete to win. Winning the Carling Cup last year was huge for the club just as making it to the final of the FA Cup was huge.

"Supporters are the backbone of Liverpool Football Club and they've been through a lot over the last few years. Our players knew what those cups meant to the supporters . "In some ways they were the only thing we were playing for last year because the league performance was so disappointing.

"Our goal is to win the Premier League. It's not going to happen this year, but that is what we are building for - first and foremost. That's only going to happen if our league performance turns around substantially.

"It's a massive challenge given where we've been. Winning the Premier League entails all of that if you want to build a sustainable, powerful club. We will do that."

With Uefa's financial fair play rules beginning to shape the way some clubs spend, Henry is aware of the need to boost revenues, but feels that the Premier League may have to adopt their own laws to stop clubs "ignoring" the current rules.

He added: "The mandate of financial fair play in Europe is for clubs to live within their means. Recently I was told that half of the clubs in the top divisions within Europe are losing money and 20% are in straits of varying degrees.

"There are a lot of clubs within the league that support financial fair play. We believe the [Premier League] itself may have to adopt its own rules given that clubs seem to be ignoring Uefa's rules, which may be porous enough to enable clubs to say that the trend of huge losses is positive and therefore be exempt from any meaningfuul sanctions.

"It's up to LFC to invest properly in players going forward so that the club can not only be sustainable but a powerhouse. This club should be able to significantly increase its revenues.

"But it won't be easy. I believe we have the right people to accomplish this. But I don't see it happening at the local level - the vast majority must come from our global agenda.

"There are various ways to generate revenues. A big club has to hit on all cylinders so to speak.

"Champions League, Premier League, commercial - everywhere that makes sense. As evidenced by Manchester City's success and that of Chelsea and Manchester United, you have to have sufficient resources to replenish and improve your squad annually in the Premier League. You don't have a choice."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Does anyone remember last January when Mancini was complaining about Glenn Johnson's tackle in the League Cup Semi first leg and Gerrard barged in and called him a dirty hypocrite to his face? Tonight's interview was more of the same - Captain, leader.

That's standing up to the owners - he knew exactly what he was doing.

I've criticised his game at times, and I don't think he understands (or ever understood) what his best position is, but you can't fault his love for the club. Fair ****ing play to him.

Go on FSG, you lousy *****. Sell one of our best players and watch your free ride from the fans end.

Were they ***** for selling Torres? Was Rafa a **** for selling Xabi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Have any of you lads on Twitter seen any evidence that fans are letting JWH know what they think of Agger being potentially sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Were they ***** for selling Torres? Was Rafa a **** for selling Xabi?

Torres and Xabi wanted to leave you fool (and in Xabi's case, Real Madrid are Real Madrid - who could argue?). Gerrard basically confirmed that the decision is being taken out of the player's hands.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement