Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Does anyone seriously believe that Juventus even have £28 million to spend? The real offer from Juventus is much more likely to be Reto Ziegler and £4 million in fivers and loose change.

Was thinking that myself :P buy low sell high, italian motto and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sell Suarez if they take Downing, Adams and Cole in the deal.
    Jesus i wasnt on here all day, when did we sign Tony Adams???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

djPSB wrote: »
    Okay, I'm saying leave achievements out of it for now.

I am comparing them just on the key attributes that are required of a manager.

For me, Kenny is only at his best when he has good players at this disposal. There isn't much to him tactically, it's basically a 'go and out play' tactic which is fine when you have quality players that are able to act on their own initiative.

But last season Kenny didn't have these quality players at his disposal which is why we didn't see great things from players like Downing, Adam, Henderson. They looked clueless.

I reckon Rodgers is better tactically. He is the complete opposite to the 'go out and play' philosophy. Each player in the orchestra has a defined role.

I think he is better with the media. Kenny brought alot of pressure on himself last season with the manner in which he handled interviews which puts added pressure on the team.

I think Rodgers is a better coach. The players have been full of praise of his coaching methods since he took over. If you look at the videos of the training sessions, they seem alot more intense than last season. Granted, Kenny didn't conduct training last season but he was responsible for employing someone to conduct it on his behalf.

I think Rodgers will be better in the transfer marker. Of course, we don't know this yet but I would be surprised if he doesn't surpass the successes of last seasons transfers of Downing, Adam, Suarez, Coates, Carroll, Henderson, Enrique.

I would have thought Kenny would have had the edge as regard man management but it seems not. Skrtel said this week “He told us right on the first training session we had the door open any time and anything we need we should come to him. He is a little bit different from Dalglish in this.”

I don't think Laudrup will be as successful with Swansea next season. I don't think Dalglish would be able to replicate the success Rodgers achieved with them. They didn't win anything, but they achieved much more than they were entitled to.

Now these are some of the reasons why I think Rodgers is a better manager in the modern day than Dalglish.

I am interested to hear why you think the opposite.

This, to borrow from GAA look at the achievements of largely the same bunch of players in Donegal under an untested manager, players who were told to "go out and play" and now a professional approach, all tuned into a system.

I loved the Cup runs and thank God for them as the league performances were dire after Xmas, nothing changed whatsoever. The team could get themselves up for cup games or derbies but crap against lower teams, nothing changed.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    What's the point in having any discussion about a manager where your precede it by saying lets leave managerial achievements out of it?! :confused:

What achievement? A Carling Cup and 8th in the PL with huge resources against a Championship play off win and a highly respectable league finish with a meager budget, who finished 5 points behind us?

We should be bloody winning cups if we could only finish a couple of places ahead of Swansea.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

really annoyed by this juve link

i remember their director of football being interviewed last season and saying they had a great relationship with us

not surprised he thinks that after

we gave them 5 million to take poulsen off their hands

loaned them aquilani on the understanding they would buy him at the end of the season for a pre-agreed fee of 12 or 13 million i think it was - of course they backed out of that

now they want suarez

if we have any backbone at all then we should send them a fax of a photo of ian ayre's hairy butt, i wouldn't even answer the phone to them

worry is they are crafty cunning types who would sell their own mothers to get a good deal so they may have tapped up Luis and received some kind of encouragement there, they can offer CL, a hefty paypacket and Suarez can put the whole FA/Man U political clout/media agenda/racism stuff behind him to an extent

I really hope he doesn't go because he is probably our only player who can create something out of nothing and is currently one of the best players in the world, if he says he wants to go then like torres i would demand 50 million (about 60 million euros) or tell them to get effed

only other slight concern is FSG while on the surface indicating they don't want to sell him may secretly be willing to do business to remove any association with the racism thing for the good of the "brand" - if that turns out to be the case and we end up with borini and dempsey up front then they will have failed the fans and the club and made us into midtable fodder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Bad feeling Suarez might push for a move.

I'd be surprised after the backing he received last year (said at the time, I thought keeping Suarez sweet was a huge part of the reason Kenny defended him so staunchly, rightly or wrongly), however wouldn't be surprised if he was looking at the situation at the club, totally untested/unproven manager & our seemingly uninspiring targets this summer & wondering exactly what he has signed up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd fancy laying the 2/1
    I suppose how Arsenal will handle losing RVP, moreso losing an RVP that had a ridic season will be interesting.

Even then there is City, Utd, Chelsea, Spurs

Llorente,,, way we should have handled losing Torres is way Arsenal will handle it

I'd be surprised after the backing he received last year (said at the time, I thought keeping Suarez sweet was a huge part of the reason Kenny defended him so staunchly, rightly or wrongly), however wouldn't be surprised if he was looking at the situation at the club, totally untested/unproven manager & our seemingly uninspiring targets this summer & wondering exactly what he has signed up to.

Aye bit like Torres! :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

what was the verdict on Joe Allens earlier? Sh1te?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

opr wrote: »
    Most likely we will hang onto Suarez this year but failure to qualify for the champions league this year which is the likely outcome will mean he'll be off next summer anyway.

Opr
    This.

He'll be here for another year atleast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I wouldn't blame Suarez if he left. The manager who stood by him was turfed out and we're doing little or nothing to improve thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Every club gets injuries and most clubs get at least one important player missing large chunks of seasons.

The crime was Dalglish not replacing Lucas in January.

I dont think it was a "crime" not replacing Lucas. It was more an issue of not putting the ball in the net that needed addressing. Newcastle and Arsenal conceded 20 goals more than us last year between them. We had the joint 3rd best defence in the league.

We came 10th in goals scored. Lucas was a miss but we finished 8th coz the ball wasnt going in the net, its that simple.

Not all of this is aimed at yourself but when you jot up the figures of what these owners have actually invested to date inc Borini it comes to about 35m. We can argue all day about Dalglish spending 100m.....various counter arguments, Comolli and selling players. Fact is, these owners have not 'put out' as much as is said.

And while im saying that, Ian Ayre came out in early Feb and said there was money there if it was needed. We were looking at players but Jan before a major comp like Euros in no good time to go for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Some before and after pictures of Fenway Park, pre and post changes that were made over the course of ten years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2012/03/27/fenway-park-images.html?s=image_gallery&date=2012-03-27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

donfers wrote: »
    really annoyed by this juve link

i remember their director of football being interviewed last season and saying they had a great relationship with us

not surprised he thinks that after

we gave them 5 million to take poulsen off their hands

loaned them aquilani on the understanding they would buy him at the end of the season for a pre-agreed fee of 12 or 13 million i think it was - of course they backed out of that

now they want suarez

if we have any backbone at all then we should send them a fax of a photo of ian ayre's hairy butt, i wouldn't even answer the phone to them

worry is they are crafty cunning types who would sell their own mothers to get a good deal so they may have tapped up Luis and received some kind of encouragement there, they can offer CL, a hefty paypacket and Suarez can put the whole FA/Man U political clout/media agenda/racism stuff behind him to an extent

I really hope he doesn't go because he is probably our only player who can create something out of nothing and is currently one of the best players in the world, if he says he wants to go then like torres i would demand 50 million (about 60 million euros) or tell them to get effed

only other slight concern is FSG while on the surface indicating they don't want to sell him may secretly be willing to do business to remove any association with the racism thing for the good of the "brand" - if that turns out to be the case and we end up with borini and dempsey up front then they will have failed the fans and the club and made us into midtable fodder

Any club is well within it's rights to make a bid for a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

If we lose Suarez good luck !

We should be building a team around the guy and using him as a reason for players to come to LFC just like Juve are doing.

We really should be sitting down with the Suarezs, Aggers etc and tieing them down with new deals and explaining that they are the core now of the future plans of LFC.

All the talk of new signings is great but I would be really happy to hear about renewed contracts and massive buy-out clauses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

what was the verdict on Joe Allens earlier? Sh1te?

I didn't see the game myself but I heard he was GB's best player, anyone else agree?

I have very mixed feelings about Allen, I think he is a good player but we have plenty of CM,s, if are going to spend in that position i'd prefer someone that is an undoubted improvement in what we have. Also 15m is crazy money for him!

If he could be got for £8 million it wouldn't be bad business as I think he would be more capable of playing in CM without Lucas than any of our CM's currently are and this will come in handy for easing Lucas back into things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Allen will end up at UTD . I don't know why, I just have a feeling .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Leiva wrote: »
    Allen will end up at UTD . I don't know why, I just have a feeling .

Has there been any rumours?

I haven`t heard any.

I heard he`s a Utd fan but that`s all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just as well his last club did not have 5 managers during his time with them including two journeymen managers, one great ex player turned very average manager, and one great ex player in his first managerial role. In fact the best manager he worked under at his last club was Martin Jol. Just as well his last club had not spent a hell of a lot of money (in terms of their spending power) on some very underwhelming local talent.

I don't see Suarez leaving this season. I think we will get another season or two at least out of him as long as he can mesh with whomever is the current manager at the club. He may be a young player but he is well experienced at managerial merry go rounds, and given that he has never played under the same manager for more than one full season, experiencing change is something that is probably the norm for him in his 7 seasons as a pro.

8 managers in 7 seasons for the guy.

Rodgers and the 2012/13 season will make it 9 manages in 8 seasons.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I didn't see the game myself but I heard he was GB's best player, anyone else agree?

I have very mixed feelings about Allen, I think he is a good player but we have plenty of CM,s, if are going to spend in that position i'd prefer someone that is an undoubted improvement in what we have. Also 15m is crazy money for him!

If he could be got for £8 million it wouldn't be bad business as I think he would be more capable of playing in CM without Lucas than any of our CM's currently are and this will come in handy for easing Lucas back into things.

GB looked ordinary and were schooled in how to play the game.

Brazil showed superior ball control, tempo setting, tactics, movement, physicality, ball retention, desire etc etc.

GB did not come close to matching Brazil in any department and one always had the feeling that Brazil could go up a few gears if they needed too, whereas GB were floundering like fish out of water.

Did not think Allen looked particularly well against Brazil, but then again the same could be said for the rest of his teammates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Allen was GB's best player imo but given that game that doesn't mean much.

He showed his stuff in little flashes but yesterday he didn't play great overall.

G.K. wrote: »
    Allen was GB's best player imo but given that game that doesn't mean much.

He showed his stuff in little flashes but yesterday he didn't play great overall.

I think it would probably be fairer to say he was the least worst of the GB players. :D

Was a very impressive show by Brazil, although I had been hoping that Casemiro would start in the centre as I think he is a beast of a young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Was impressed with the defensive side of Allen's game. A little like Scott Parker without the ridiculous throwing himself into tackles

Was impressed with the defensive side of Allen's game. A little like Scott Parker without the ridiculous throwing himself into tackles

Who was it that brought down Neymer at the edge of the GB box when the score was still one nil? Have Rose or Allen in my head for that. Was an awful attempt at a challenge and I was amazed at the time that the ref did not blow up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Kess73 wrote: »
    Who was it that brought down Neymer at the edge of the GB box when the score was still one nil? Have Rose or Allen in my head for that. Was an awful attempt at a challenge and I was amazed at the time that the ref did not blow up for it.

Giggs? I thought Allen played alright yesterday but was nothing spectacular during the game but Brazil were tough opponents and it was GBs first game together.

That was Giggs I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Allen looked good.

Just not £15m good.

That was Giggs I think

Ahh that's right. It was a terrible attempt though.:)

The difference between the youngest of the Brazilian players and the more experienced of the GB players was vast though. Far more composure on the ball, far more comfortable on the ball, always looking to provide angles and options for teammates. Really highlighted so much of what is wrong with how football is coached at the younger levels in England/Britain.

Allen looked good.

Just not £15m good.

The only players that looked like £15m players or better were all wearing yellow last night.

The only players that looked like £15m players or better were all wearing yellow last night.

Agree, GB were chronic bad.

Is this not bad form from Laudrup?

"I haven't spoken to Joe since I have taken over," said the Swansea boss. "I haven't spoken to any of the three Olympics players and we have not had any contact from Liverpool.''

Allen is a good player, I think he could add to the quality of the squad but the important thing is the price as has been the case with our last few GB signings.

He would be a good signing for <£10m.

Agree, GB were chronic bad.

Is this not bad form from Laudrup?

"I haven't spoken to Joe since I have taken over," said the Swansea boss. "I haven't spoken to any of the three Olympics players and we have not had any contact from Liverpool.''

Allen is a good player, I think he could add to the quality of the squad but the important thing is the price as has been the case with our last few GB signings.

He would be a good signing for <£10m.

Not really pushed if it is bad form or not as it involves another team, but it could be that the players were on holidays when Laudrup was hired, and went from their holidays to the team GB camp, so Laudrup might not have had the chance for face time with those players or it could have been communicated that they will all talk after the Olympics.

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to the game tonight, seen pictures of em train in the stadium and it looks pretty cool that massive tower is right to the back of one of the ends of the stadium.

Will Lucas play tonight? Man it'll be great to see him line out again! Pacheco and ecclestone are the only strikers there atm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

What time is the match tonight? Is it on tv?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    What time is the match tonight? Is it on tv?

It's on ESPN at 9 tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Academy currently involved in a goal-a-ton which they're winning 7-3 against Bury. I think Sinclair has another hattick which is his second in as many matches.

Opr

daithijjj wrote: »
    I dont think it was a "crime" not replacing Lucas. It was more an issue of not putting the ball in the net that needed addressing. Newcastle and Arsenal conceded 20 goals more than us last year between them. We had the joint 3rd best defence in the league.

We came 10th in goals scored. Lucas was a miss but we finished 8th coz the ball wasnt going in the net, its that simple.

Not all of this is aimed at yourself but when you jot up the figures of what these owners have actually invested to date inc Borini it comes to about 35m. We can argue all day about Dalglish spending 100m.....various counter arguments, Comolli and selling players. Fact is, these owners have not 'put out' as much as is said.

And while im saying that, Ian Ayre came out in early Feb and said there was money there if it was needed. We were looking at players but Jan before a major comp like Euros in no good time to go for players.

Didn't Rodgers say they'd be starting on his new contract over the Summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Rodgers would like to bring Adrián López Álvarez to #Liverpool this summer. #LFC #Atlético. Agent ITK

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Rodgers would like to bring Adrián López Álvarez to #Liverpool this summer. #LFC #Atlético. Agent ITK

If there is any truth to this rumour, it really does tie in with the style of attacking player we have been linked with since Rodgers came in.

Mobile, technically sound, good close control, capable of playing anywhere across a front three as well as playing in the support striker role. Not an out and out finisher though.

If there is any truth to this rumour, it really does tie in with the style of attacking player we have been linked with since Rodgers came in.

Mobile, technically sound, good close control, capable of playing anywhere across a front three as well as playing in the support striker role. Not an out and out finisher though.

How much is he likely to cost?

WOW WOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Who is this Agent ITK guy? What's his track record with rumours like?

• Advertisement

How much is he likely to cost?

No idea really. My own take would be that he would be in the £10m to £12m range but not anymore than that. What his club thinks he is worth is probably a lot different :)

CL7 wrote: »
    Who is this Agent ITK guy? What's his track record with rumours like?

A couple a days ago in the united thread they where slagging him off apparently has had a few wide of the mark, not really certain of his track record though.

The video djPSB posted says otherwise.

He looks very tasty.

No idea really. My own take would be that he would be in the £10m to £12m range but not anymore than that. What his club thinks he is worth is probably a lot different :)

They signed him for free last year as far as I can see anyway.

He's no Stewart Downing though.

Elsewhere Suso, very Silva-esque.

The video djPSB posted says otherwise.

He looks very tasty.

48 goals from 238 games played says he is not an out and out finisher.

He had a bit of a freak run in the Europa cup last season and got 11 of his goals from last season in it. His domestic goal scoring form has never been outstanding including last season when he finished with 8 goals from all domestic comps.

If he was brought in as a main striker I would be fairly concerned given that he has never been used as the main striker at any of the clubs he has been with, save for the odd game where he was covering for someone else.

48 goals from 238 games played says he is not an out and out finisher.

He had a bit of a freak run in the Europa cup last season and got 11 of his goals from last season in it. His domestic goal scoring form has never been outstanding including last season when he finished with 8 goals from all domestic comps.

If he was brought in as a main striker I would be fairly concerned given that he has never been used as the main striker at any of the clubs he has been with, save for the odd game where he was covering for someone else.

Cool. I`m with you now.

Cool. I`m with you now.

He is more a link man or support striker type player than the focal point of an attacking set up. A foil to the main goal threat but capable of getting a few goals himself along the way type player.

He is more a link man or support striker type player than the focal point of an attacking set up. A foil to the main goal threat but capable of getting a few goals himself along the way type player.

Sigurdsson position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Please tell me the lad suso will get a chance? Would be a shame if we let him go. Any idea if he's interested in signing a new contract?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement