Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I think that tonight proved that we need another Luis Suarez.

If he get injured for a significant period of time we are screwed.

I said the same thing to a 'football friend' of mine in the pub, if either suarez or borini get injured we're gonna struggle to hit the net. Before tonight I was of the opinion that a £25m + offer for Agger was too good to turn down, having watched him diligently tonight I've changed my mind, we just can't sell him, the guy was flawless in everything he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I really enjoyed the match last night, it was great to see the players play so well. Through balls, picking up scraps, pressing when they lost the ball.

Roll on west brom indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just seen the goals there. Some hit by Johnson. But Suarez was instrumental in the other two. Have to keep him fit this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I had to mute it when the commentator said something along the lines of
    "It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in the competition for that spot, Lucas or Spearing"

This was shortly after "Liverpool fans only realised how good he (Lucas) was when he got injured, last season"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I had to mute it when the commentator said something along the lines of
    "It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in the competition for that spot, Lucas or Spearing"

This was shortly after "Liverpool fans only realised how good he (Lucas) was when he got injured, last season"

I had to laugh when they tried to compare spearing to lucas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

The more I think about the more impressive he was .. How good was Suarez last night !

He was beating players, nutmegging, hassling as if it was fitness levels of the last week of the season.and this is from a player who has four seasons end-to-end with no break.
    He made defenders last night (who are half way through their domestic season) look tired.

Delighted we have him tied down now for a few more years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Suarez was excellent.

I personally enjoyed watching Lucas, who I thought played very well.

G.K. wrote: »
    Suarez was excellent.

I personally enjoyed watchinge Lucas, who I thought played very well.

Yea for only his second game he showed us that unsung hero role again by doing the dirty work in front of the back four, but also closing space just behind the back three.
    He has such a great reading of the game it's a joy to watch, and absolutely crucial in our quest for CL qualification .

Borini put in a decent shift aswell and I liked his link up play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

You just can't compare a good player like Lucas to Spearing. No harm to him but he isn't good enough. Not even for backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Hoki wrote: »
    Before tonight I was of the opinion that a £25m + offer for Agger was too good to turn down, having watched him diligently tonight I've changed my mind, we just can't sell him, the guy was flawless in everything he did.

If the choice is:

A. Keep Agger and give him a nice new contract

or

B. Sell Agger and buy three new players (say Ramirez, Dempsey and a CB) for a combined £27-30M

Personally I'd go for A. But there is some merit on B, if you can be sure of getting a good value long term CB in there.

Those who think we can keep Agger and still buy another 3 players are in cuckoo land. Selling some of the lesser players we have will not realise much cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

also shelvey was v good.. not that far off being a quality 1st teamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

barone wrote: »

While I agree with the latter part of your sentence, I thought he was poor by his own standards last night. Still miles better than a lot considering his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Not sure how to embed twitpics, but this is supposedly a closeup of Aggers YNWA tattoo from last night.

ahglgh

http://twitpic.com/ahglgh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

barone wrote: »

Shelvey was easily the lowlight of the team last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

@Luis Suarez
    Here a pic with the great Lucas Leiva! Very happy to be back playing in Anfield with the victory and qualifying. I want to thank all the fans for your great affection.

576166_475760659115674_659311151_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Folks, Agger ain't going anywhere - The fans singing 'There's only one Daniel Agger', his performance last night (and any time he plays), Stevie coming out and saying it's up the owners if he goes, Danny's new tattoo........ It would be political suicide, not seen since the Gillette and Hicks days

Ain't gonna happen. He'll be offered a new contract

Pepe Reina believes the stylish manner of Liverpool's 3-0 victory over FC Gomel on Thursday night could be a sign of things to come – but stressed it will take time for Brendan Rodgers to fully implement his footballing philosophies at Anfield.

The Reds impressed as they swept aside their Belarusian opponents to progress into the Europa League play-offs courtesy of goals from Fabio Borini, Steven Gerrard and Glen Johnson.

And while Reina has only been back at Melwood a couple of weeks following his involvement at the European Championships with Spain, he feels he has seen enough to suggest Rodgers' style of play will reap success.

"It was a good night's work," he reflected to Liverpoolfc.com. "We kept a clean sheet and got the result, played well, got through, and I'm happy for the fans.

"It's always enjoyable for me when the team wins, especially when we keep a clean sheet. That's the way it should be in almost every game, especially at home.

"It's coming along little by little. We have to be patient. It will take time - it's not a four-week project. We want to create our own style of play and that will take a little longer than four weeks.

"All we ask from the people is to be patient and have trust in the team because I think we are going to come good."

On a night of many positives for Liverpool, summer signing Borini marked his Anfield debut with a fine goal to put the team on their way to victory and leave Reina suitably impressed.

"It was a great strike - he finished it very well," said the Spaniard.

"He was clever. He had some really good moments throughout the game and he should be happy with his performance."

The Gomel clash was Reina's first appearance for Liverpool since Rodgers was installed as manager in June.

The custodian was afforded an extended break after Spain triumphed at Euro 2012, but he insists he's happy to be back between the sticks at Anfield.

He said: "I'm always happy to come back. It's been a busy summer - a happy, but busy summer - but it's great to be back.

"I'm looking forward to the start of the season and hopefully we can continue to keep getting positive results at Anfield."

Reina will be aiming to get some more minutes under his belt before the start of the Barclays Premier League season when Liverpool play host to Bayer Leverkusen in a friendly contest on Sunday.

"It will be very tough, definitely," he predicted. "We have to be ready.

"They are a very organised team, but we will make sure we are well prepared for Sunday and hopefully it will be the same (result as Gomel)."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

While I agree with the latter part of your sentence, I thought he was poor by his own standards last night. Still miles better than a lot considering his age.

bar a bad tackle he didnt look out of place i thought.. bit of tweeking and temperament adjustment and he will be a great plus to have.. one english signing we have made recently who was got at a great price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Arsenal have shown that by keeping possession and playing this type of football can put weaker teams to the sword at times. The problem occurs up against the top teams.

However, one of the biggest things that lfc could easily improve on over last year is the amount of draws against the weaker teams in the league.

If we can sign another two attacking options (maybe Dempsey and Ramierez) I think we should have enough to beat alot of the weaker teams in the league this year so would be hopeful of an improved league position.

Borini: I'll never forget it

Fabio Borini has revealed how his maiden Liverpool goal felt like the first of his entire career after he struck in Thursday's Europa League victory over FC Gomel.

The Italy forward marked his debut appearance at Anfield for the Reds with the opener - a clinical first-time volley - in a 3-0 success over the Belarusian side to help Brendan Rodgers' charges book a place in the Europa League play-offs.

The goal capped a lively display from our summer signing, and afterwards Borini couldn't hide his joy at an occasion that will forever live in his memory.

"It was absolutely a day to remember," he told Liverpoolfc.com. "The fans were amazing and the atmosphere was unbelievable, just for a Europa League qualifier. To also get a goal was amazing.

"It felt like it was the first goal I had scored in my entire career. I tried to celebrate as I did for my first goal in Serie A."

He added: "Since I signed, I've wanted to score my first goal as soon as possible. I got my first here at Anfield, which was very nice, and now I will carry on working.

"The goal will help me continue to settle in - goals always help."

After watching his 21st minute effort strike the back of Anfield's newly re-installed red nets, Borini's joy was there for all to see as he wheeled away in elation.

The 21-year-old treated Kopites to a first glimpse of his 'knife between the teeth' celebration, before sliding on his knees as his teammates converged upon him.

"You have seen many, many players sliding on their knees here - like Steven Gerrard and Torres - and I tried to do the same because I was so happy," he explained.

"It was very important to show my own celebration, too. The fans will get to know me better game by game. This was my first game at Anfield and I think I made a good impression on them."

Borini's goal came about after sublime skill by strike partner Luis Suarez created a chance inside the box as he celebrated his new long-term contract by turning in an outstanding performance.

Liverpool's No.29 admits he relished playing alongside the Uruguayan - but was keen to stress the victory was very much a collective effort.

"Suarez made the goal," said Borini. "It was the first time I had played with him and it was absolutely amazing. He is an unselfish player, but we all played an amazing game together.

"Collectively, we did very well - both offensively and defensively. That was the key because we were very compact from the first second of the game until the last. "

The success over Gomel was also a landmark night for Rodgers, who took charge of a game at Anfield for the first time as Liverpool manager.

Borini revealed he spoke to the boss prior to kick off, and is looking forward to trying to produce similar team displays over the course of the campaign.

He explained: "The manager said to me, 'We are at Anfield, which is our home. We need to play our football and stay focused because this is just the beginning (for you).'

"I have played this kind of football before with him. It's enjoyable to play because you feel good and feel free to do your stuff and play football - it's great."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Would be nice to have Allen sorted today/this weekend, then have another signing in the stands for Sami's game on Sunday who will get signed next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

stop quoting without a sauce!!

via RAWK, interesting to see Charlie Adam is Liverpools worst midfield passer!

Joe-Allen-Comparison-Table-3.png

and yet just tops the chances created per minute. Just shows that stats are evil, capricious critters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Would be nice to have Allen sorted today/this weekend, then have another signing in the stands for Sami's game on Sunday who will get signed next week!

Yes, while Shelvey was good last night and has potential, I am now starting to see how Lucas and Allen could be a great combo for LFC.

The future doesn't look good for Adam though - really can't see him staying on the payroll much longer. Would like to see Spearing moved on as well. Would we get 10m for both of em?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If the choice is:

A. Keep Agger and give him a nice new contract

or

B. Sell Agger and buy three new players (say Ramirez, Dempsey and a CB) for a combined £27-30M

Personally I'd go for A. But there is some merit on B, if you can be sure of getting a good value long term CB in there.

Those who think we can keep Agger and still buy another 3 players are in cuckoo land. Selling some of the lesser players we have will not realise much cash.

I just don't think scenario B improves us enough to make it worthwile. Agger is a World Class defender with another five or six "peak" years to come.

If we can't afford the signings in scenaio B then let's just make do without them, give youth a chance, etc.

Agger, Lucas, Suarez are going to be the heartbeat of defense, midfield and attack respectively for us. We won't be able to replace their production in the transfer market. As such, for us they should be considered invaluable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Adam has useful attributes, the problem is depending on the whole package. He's poor athletically in relative terms, he isn't a great decision maker and he doesn't have great positional sense. He does have a sweet left boot though, a wide range of passing and the confidence to try things that other players wouldn't even attempt. He has value as a squad player in certain situations if the right mix is around him. We just depended on him too much last year and he looked awful as a result.

I wouldn't mind if he was moved on, but I don't think he's a bad option to have around the squad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

PRAF wrote: »
    Yes, while Shelvey was good last night and has potential, I am now starting to see how Lucas and Allen could be a great combo for LFC.

The future doesn't look good for Adam though - really can't see him staying on the payroll much longer. Would like to see Spearing moved on as well. Would we get 10m for both of em?

Not a hope we would get 10 million for Spearing. Adam perhaps but knowing our luck in the market we would probably give him away for half-nothing.

I'd rather keep them on. The Europa league will be 19 games if we reach the final. We need a big squad for that. Cue a couple of injuries then we are screwed. Adam and Spearing can be as a backup I guess. Spearing is surely cheap but Adam might be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

I think he meant 10 million for Adam and Spearing combined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it occurred to me last night that we won't get anyone of Agger's class for less than, at best, £20m. and that's optimistic.

there are those that have potential to be at that level, and that settled, in a couple of years' time, but nobody that can slot straight in for less than that price IMO.

so to sell him for anything less than £30m would be retarded.

but in fact, i would lean towards Lloyd's summation that along with Lucas and Suarez, he is one of our invaluables, and clubs should be told, categorically, to fúck off. and i'd encourage Brendan to use his broadest Northern Irish accent in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

budgemook wrote: »
    I think he meant 10 million for Adam and Spearing combined

Ah makes sense now. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Adam has useful attributes, the problem is depending on the whole package. He's poor athletically in relative terms, he isn't a great decision maker and he doesn't have great positional sense. He does have a sweet left boot though, a wide range of passing and the confidence to try things that other players wouldn't even attempt. He has value as a squad player in certain situations if the right mix is around him. We just depended on him too much last year and he looked awful as a result.

I wouldn't mind if he was moved on, but I don't think he's a bad option to have around the squad either.

Yeah, i'd like to see him playing further forward than he has played for Liverpool. I'd see his best position as the most advanced of the midfield three ; backup for Gerrard really. The deeper roles don't suit him at all. You want him getting in the final third with some freedom and cracking shots in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

PRAF wrote: »

Very doubtful I would have thought.

Adam,as Lloyd said is probably worth hanging on to as a squad player. I think the main problem(along with others) is he seems to be a red card waiting to happen every time he plays. I don`t think he`s a dirty player just an unbelievably bad tackler. Can that be coached out of him? He wasn`t too bad up until Lucas got injured last year and ended up with too much responsibility which he wasn`t able to shoulder.

Re last night-Suarez was magic,Borini looked good but I thought Shelvey wasn`t himself at all and was probably lucky not to be sent off.

Gomel aren`t any great shakes but overall it looks promissing. I`m still cautiously optimistic.

The lack of depth up front really needs to be sorted sooner rather than later though.

And for the love of god don`t sell Agger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

@jeremy_LFC
    Bellamy set for a medical at Cardiff today. Goodbye, good luck and thank you, you raver. You were incredible. (And mental.)

SlickRic wrote: »
    it occurred to me last night that we won't get anyone of Agger's class for less than, at best, £20m. and that's optimistic.

I mentioned Diego Godin as an alternative yesterday - talented CB (albeit right footed) should be available for 12-14 million I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

mike65 wrote: »
    I mentioned Diego Godin as an alternative yesterday - talented CB (albeit right footed) should be available for 12-14 million I'd say.

Easy solution, give em Skrtel and we'll get this Godin chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Anyone have a link to the highlights from last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We will get one from these 5 teams in the play off round

Debreceni VSC (HUN)
    CS Marítimo (POR)
    Heart of Midlothian FC (SCO)
    Molde FK (NOR)
    HJK Helsinki (FIN)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

there are those that have potential to be at that level, and that settled, in a couple of years' time, but nobody that can slot straight in for less than that price IMO.

so to sell him for anything less than £30m would be retarded.

but in fact, i would lean towards Lloyd's summation that along with Lucas and Suarez, he is one of our invaluables, and clubs should be told, categorically, to fúck off. and i'd encourage Brendan to use his broadest Northern Irish accent in doing so.

I think there are a number of centre backs, mostly left footed, that are in and around Agger's class level that could be got for prices ranging from maybe £7m to about the £15m mark.

But given how poor the club has been in terms of spotting and getting such talent in recent years, coupled with whether or not those players would be interested, makes it very easy to argue against the possibility of us going for such a player over getting a sub par player for the same money.

In terms of sellable first team squad centre backs, we currently have three (Carragher I would not regard as sellable, nor do I think he would be sold given he has 10 or 11 months left on his contract).

Agger is easily the most valuable of those three in financial terms and also in terms of ability and influence on the pitch. To me it would be madness to sell your most influential defensive player regardless of financial reward unless you were 100% sure that you could get a player that matches or betters him for less money than you get for him. But I do think that the Agger being sold storylines are more media fuelled than anything else, and that there is some hardball being played by both player and club with regards to a new contract which is giving that chink of doubt for the media to blow into a gaping chasm.

But if it is a matter of capital being needed for new player, then we have plenty of overrated underperfomers in the squad. Throw a few of them under the bus if extra money is needed as they won't be missed.

Kess73 wrote: »
    But given how poor the club has been in terms of spotting and getting such talent in recent years, coupled with whether or not those players would be interested, makes it very easy to argue against the possibility of us going for such a player over getting a sub par player for the same money.

this would definitely be more my worry alright.

i'm aware that CBs are probably out there, but i would question our ability to target, and ultimately get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Again not to get too carried away with a stylish win against poor opposition but what a difference having Reina's footballing skills at the back made. Borderline too risky at times but overall top notch.

Hope we get Molde FK ;)

• Advertisement

Milkers wrote: »
    but what a difference having Reina's footballing skills at the back made. Borderline too risky at times but overall top notch.

i was more impressed with the fact he managed to protect his near post all game.

throughout last season i was convinced he'd forgotten the goal had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

mike65 wrote: »
    Hope we get Molde FK ;)

I hope we get Hearts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Surely if it were the owners who wanted to cash in on Agger, they would have done likewise with Carroll? The owners forcing through the move doesn't add up IMO

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Surely if it were the owners who wanted to cash in on Agger, they would have done likewise with Carroll? The owners forcing through the move doesn't add up IMO

they tried to.

he wouldn't go to West Ham.

I see a stethoscope.
    A Welshman
    and a gentleman of Pakistan origin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

LiamoSail wrote: »

Carroll will go to the highest bidder/loaner on deadline day if we get Dempsey or a striker in I'd wager.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

ush wrote: »
    I read that Bröndby get 15% of the sale price for Agger.

I read that yesterday as well.
    We will get one from these 5 teams in the play off round

Debreceni VSC (HUN)
    CS Marítimo (POR)
    Heart of Midlothian FC (SCO)
    Molde FK (NOR)
    HJK Helsinki (FIN)

Hearts please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I think Andy Carroll would have fitted nicely into that team last night. Downing seems to be a different player so far, I know its early days but he impressed last night.

If we need to ship anyone out it would be Adam and Spearing for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

they tried to.

he wouldn't go to West Ham.

But by the same token people are believing they can force Agger to City?

It could be Rodgers forcing the move if he has been told he needs to sell to buy
    Sappy404 wrote: »
    Carroll will go to the highest bidder/loaner on deadline day if we get Dempsey or a striker in I'd wager.

Perhaps, but again that's hardly the owners forcing the matter, more Rodgers preference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to the highlights from last night?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement