Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think Andy Carroll would have fitted nicely into that team last night. Downing seems to be a different player so far, I know its early days but he impressed last night.

If we need to ship anyone out it would be Adam and Spearing for me

How would he have fit in, the front 3/4 all moved around fluidly and interchanged, Carroll would have moved in pretty much a straight line from the semi circle to the box, and most likely well behind play. If Carroll looked out of place and off the pace in Kenny's team he will look even worse here.

Agree with Adam though, looked the worst player on the pitch last night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think Andy Carroll would have fitted nicely into that team last night. Downing seems to be a different player so far, I know its early days but he impressed last night.

If we need to ship anyone out it would be Adam and Spearing for me

I don't really agree that Carroll would of worked in that team the whole idea was about ball retention and movement,

Difference in selling Carroll or both of Adam and Spearing is 10 million or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I mentioned it a couple of times on the match thread ...

The most satisfying part of last nights match was the closing down within seconds of loosing the ball .
    Every player was tuned into it and it paid dividends with the first goal .

Look at the above video @ 1:56 & 1:59 mins

We lost the ball twice only to win it back immediately and re-establish pressure which lead to the goal.

That was lacking last season - whenever we lost possession it was fall back get the shape and start again, which was frustrating to watch as we were not that bad going forward, but attacks fizzled out high up the pitch.

With the midfield I think Rodgers is building, and with Gerrard in his new high- up- the pitch role (which i would say he is loving) then I could see opposition defences having a really hard time trying to get the pressure off, and getting the ball out .

We are forcing the errors from defence and getting possession back quickly which is just going to keep feeding into our attacking minded midfield .

I liked what I saw last night even if the opposition were not any great shakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Only saw the highlights but at least they were highlights.

I'll listen to the Anfield wrap later, does anyone have any other decent jounos that will analyse the game. I don't think ZonalMakring are going to make a stab at this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Only saw the highlights but at least they were highlights.

I'll listen to the Anfield wrap later, does anyone have any other decent jounos that will analyse the game. I don't think ZonalMakring are going to make a stab at this game.

Kate Cohen perhaps :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I just don't think scenario B improves us enough to make it worthwile. Agger is a World Class defender with another five or six "peak" years to come.

If we can't afford the signings in scenaio B then let's just make do without them, give youth a chance, etc.

Agger, Lucas, Suarez are going to be the heartbeat of defense, midfield and attack respectively for us. We won't be able to replace their production in the transfer market. As such, for us they should be considered invaluable.

Peak years with a lot of the time spend on the injury table most likely. Accepting option A reminds me of the time Steve Morgan and Roy Evans days, complete incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Leiva wrote: »

The most satisfying part of last nights match was the closing down within seconds of loosing the ball .

We lost the ball twice only to win it back immediately and re-establish pressure which lead to the goal.

That was lacking last season - whenever we lost possession it was fall back get the shape and start again, which was frustrating to watch as we were not that bad going forward, but attacks fizzled out high up the pitch.

With the midfield I think Rodgers is building, and with Gerrard in his new high- up- the pitch role (which i would say he is loving) then I could see opposition defences having a really hard time trying to get the pressure off, and getting the ball out .

We are forcing the errors from defence and getting possession back quickly which is just going to keep feeding into our attacking minded midfield .

It was a lot, to be honest, that simply hasn't been happenign in the last two years.

What time is the draw, or has it happened already?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

We got Hearts

amiable wrote: »
    We got Hearts

Ade got his wish

That will be a great trip .

/rushes to get prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Great draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

should be no need to play anyone bar our reserves in that one....well maybe one or 2 big players.

a great draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Peak years with a lot of the time spend on the injury table most likely. Accepting option A reminds me of the time Steve Morgan and Roy Evans days, complete incompetence.

Do you mean Moores? Morgan was always a minority shareholder who brought his scary wife to the AGMs.:)

Ade got his wish

That will be a great trip .

/rushes to get prices

So did I :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80162448&postcount=6043

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Hoki wrote: »

I was very impressed by Johnson last night too. He was a bit of a work horse and definitely will do well in BR's team as he loves to get forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

happy days, it will help that we dont have a long away trip to travel to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

SlickRic wrote: »
    should be no need to play anyone bar our reserves in that one....well maybe one or 2 big players.

a great draw.

Also we're traveling a short distance, we're not playing a team halfway through their season, and the media coverage will be increased meaning the buildup, the match itself and the highlights will be easier to catch.

SlickRic wrote: »

a great draw.

Would assume that they are a step up on the team we just beat, so whilst we should beat them, I would not go ott in terms of putting out too weak a team.

Would go with a mostly reserve/squad player team for the away leg and go with a similar team to last night for the second leg at Anfield.

@Pepe Reina Official
    In Melwood with Johnno!!! Happy for the win last night and also for the goal of this genius!!! Lets go again reds... Season has began now!!!

562664_361883320548465_354376769_n.jpg

Kess73 wrote: »
    Do you mean Moores? Morgan was always a minority shareholder who brought his scary wife to the AGMs.:)

He tried to buy the club a couple of times too. Now the Wolves owner.

Kess73 wrote: »

Yea David Moores I mean. He was the type of owner who'd reject that deal mainly because Agger got YWNA tattoo'd on his hand and he doesn't want to leave. Agger for anything close to £30m has to be accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

opposition were shockingly poor and even then when they tightened up second half they limited liverpool to very few chances, its way too early to determine anything yet, i think people tend to forget liverpool battered city, utd and chelsea at anfield last 18 months...

anyway take a guess as to the matchthread these quotes come from
    Really good performance tonight. Some great football played. I was p!ssed off having to play this round, but it's worked out great. It was like a friendly with a competitive edge to it.
    Very happy with that performance.

New signings look quality.
    Really enjoyed the football we played tonight albeit against very week opposition. Some difference in the Rafa way, cant wait to see us play in that style with our proper starting xl.
    Hopefully a sign of good things to come in real games. Looks like Rafa's cautious defensive approach is no more!

amiable wrote: »
    He tried to buy the club a couple of times too. Now the Wolves owner.

Was delighted he never bought the club tbh. He had even shallower pockets than Moore did.

He did make for (thanks in no small part to his wife) some entertaining AGMs though :D

gafferino wrote: »
    @Pepe Reina Official
    In Melwood with Johnno!!! Happy for the win last night and also for the goal of this genius!!! Lets go again reds... Season has began now!!!

562664_361883320548465_354376769_n.jpg

Was laughing at that pic on a few other sites. It was being used as proof of Allen doing his medical. :D

Bit concerned about Jonshon's Borini shaped nipple though :pac:

what do you mean Kess? What did she do? and how do you know this - are you ITK?

tumblr_ls7rh9PGNC1qcpnwg.gif

gafferino wrote: »
    what do you mean Kess? What did she do? and how do you know this - are you ITK?

tumblr_ls7rh9PGNC1qcpnwg.gif

She and her husband used to tear into Moores verbally at a few of the AGMs.

She would heckle if Moores was talking, and generally be quite loud. There were alsways plenty of members of the public, myself included, at those AGMs as every shareholder was entitled to be at them regardless of whether you held one share or a thousand shares.

Was pretty much well covered in the local papers and by association some of the nationals as well each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yea David Moores I mean. He was the type of owner who'd reject that deal mainly because Agger got YWNA tattoo'd on his hand and he doesn't want to leave. Agger for anything close to £30m has to be accepted.

:rolleyes:

I'd reject the deal because right now it doesn't appear possible for Liverpool to acquire a center back anywhere near as good as him. And - even if a player of his calibre was willing to join the club - we wouldn't have much change out of £30m left.

But keep on keeping on buddy. Keep on keeping on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Anyone got a link to the full Gerrard interview. The one that was linked a few pages back ends just as he starts speaking about Dagger

I'd reject the deal because right now it doesn't appear possible for Liverpool to acquire a center back anywhere near as good as him. And - even if a player of his calibre was willing to join the club - we wouldn't have much change out of £30m left.

Now I have The Riptide Movement in my head. :D

Anyone got a link to the full Gerrard interview. The one that was linked a few pages back ends just as he starts speaking about Dagger

Nevermind I found it :o

as attractive as £30m looks, i don't see us competent enough in the transfer market to get someone in who can seamlessly fit into the team for less than £20m/25m.

so there'd be little point.

and as has been pointed out, Agger is Rodgers' wet dream of a centre back. if Rodgers could pick out any centre back in world football to have, he would be at least top 5 IMO. maybe even top 3, considering his standard and his age.

and if we don't need to sell to buy, as has been said, well then selling Agger is a risky at best, and retarded at worst.

• Advertisement

I missed the match last night. Just saw the highlights. Anyone there want to give the pros/cons from last night game. There seemed to be some great interplay with the front 3, Suarez looked awesome. Out of the team last night who should not be there come start of the season. I think we might get rid of Adam to Fulham if we do get Dempsey.

@WalesOnline: Craig Bellamy is set to be unveiled at the Cardiff City Stadium in around half an hour. Join us for live coverage from 2pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Any good news? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks Craig for a brilliant season, shame we didn't have you for longer. :(

Kuyt / Bellers / Maxi / Aurelio gone from last year's squad

Borrini / Allen / Cole in

Uninspired so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

mike65 wrote: »
    stop quoting without a sauce!!

via RAWK, interesting to see Charlie Adam is Liverpools worst midfield passer!

Joe-Allen-Comparison-Table-3.png

and yet just tops the chances created per minute. Just shows that stats are evil, capricious critters.

So a pass completion of 80% for Adam and 86% for Spearing and Lucas means Jay and Lucas are better passers than Adam? And they're both better passers than Stevie, as he's only 83%??

What utter nonsense.

To compare the pass completion of a attacking midfielder to a defensive midfielder is simply ridiculous. Adam is a far superior passer of a football than Lucas or Spearing. He creates on average twice as many chances than Lucas does. But its not Lucas's job to create chances, which is just as well, as he's not much use at it. Lucas had 4 shots in 11 games, none of which hit the target. Take that on its own and it sounds like he's a rubbish midfielder, but again its not his job to score goals.

Lucas job is to break up attacks, win tackles, and keep it simple when in possession - which as the stats back up, he's very good at. But you need to be a simpleton to conclude he's a better passer than Adam.

to be fair, Aurelio can't really count as losing a player.

We don't need one as good as him. Down grading in one area and upgrading in two others would be more beneficial to us. For someone who banged on about down grading Reina your sudden turn around is surprising though. But hey, keep on being negative, keep on being negative.

Good luck, Craig.

Don't think it will be easy to replace him :(

• Advertisement

So let me get this straight .

Bellamy will be unveiled as a Cardiff player before he is officially announced as leaving .:confused:

What the hell is our Communications Dept. smoking ?

So let me get this straight .

Bellamy will be unveiled as a Cardiff player before he is officially announced as leaving .:confused:

What the hell is our Communications Dept. smoking ?

Maybe they were licking frogs, they do that in the Amazon rain forest and get a real kick out of that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Uninspired so far.
    Business isn't finished yet Lloyd, wait and see what happens I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why the hell are we letting Bellamy go?

I assume he is demanding more football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

noodler wrote: »
    Why the hell are we letting Bellamy go?

I assume he is demanding more football?

He wants to "go home" put simply. Taken a whacking pay cut to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Uninspired so far.

Kuyt barely played.

Bellers was great but wanted to leave it seems.

Maxi barely played.

Aurelio barely played.

We haven`t lost much really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mike65 wrote: »
    He wants to "go home" put simply. Taken a whacking pay cut to do so.

Is that what he is telling the Cardiff people and media?

Hard to believe he didn't want to be in Liverpool as long as he thought he would play a reasonable amount of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So a pass completion of 80% for Adam and 86% for Spearing and Lucas means Jay and Lucas are better passers than Adam? And they're both better passers than Stevie, as he's only 83%??

What utter nonsense.

To compare the pass completion of a attacking midfielder to a defensive midfielder is simply ridiculous. Adam is a far superior passer of a football than Lucas or Spearing. He creates on average twice as many chances than Lucas does. But its not Lucas's job to create chances, which is just as well, as he's not much use at it. Lucas had 4 shots in 11 games, none of which hit the target. Take that on its own and it sounds like he's a rubbish midfielder, but again its not his job to score goals.

Lucas job is to break up attacks, win tackles, and keep it simple when in possession - which as the stats back up, he's very good at. But you need to be a simpleton to conclude he's a better passer than Adam.

You are far, far undervaluing Lucas' ability on the ball. He is a quality distributor and is the only midfielder (Allen aside) who knows how to set the tempo - when to pass it short and when to progress with the ball.

He is capable of some sublime passes, not Alonso ability granted, nor does he go for the Adam hollywood pass, but the notion that he only in to break up play is absurd.

Take a look even at the 1st goal last night, it was Lucas who played the ball down the channel for Suarez was it not?

You've watched too many Adam Youtube montages I feel. When he's afforded space and time he can really punish a team, granted. But put under pressure, or forced on his right side, he takes way too many touches and takes the sting/tempo out of the move.

The ability to pass is more than just being able to play a 40 yard ball over the top, its decision making and intelligence also and Adam lacks in the latter two.

Also, your simpleton comment is uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

It wasn't "lacking" last season. That was the strategy obviously, to drop off and let the opposition have the ball high up the pitch with a view to hitting teams on the counter. The strategy now under a different coach/manager is to press and win the ball high up the pitch. All of this is very deliberate and worked through in training.

noodler wrote: »
    Is that what he is telling the Cardiff people and media?

Hard to believe he didn't want to be in Liverpool as long as he thought he would play a reasonable amount of games.

That's what Rodgers said he wanted. His family have stayed living in Cardiff when he moved to Liverpool so supposedly he wants to go back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Bellamy news up on .com now
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/lfc-confirm-bellamy-transfer
    Thanks,wish you all the best

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement