Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Knex. wrote: »
    Shelvey?

Yeah, on a loan deal to championship club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

ush wrote: »
    If true, thats you know who out the door.

With a very good replacement at 1/3 of the sale price of you know who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I linked Godin (goal.com) yesterday and earlier today mentioned 12 million, just call me cystic peg.

Or Eziz Allamov may have just checked goal.com!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

gaelicred wrote: »
    Eziz Allamov ‏@Ezizallamov
    Liverpool are lining up a bid for Diego Godín of Atletico Madrid, who had been scouted throughout last season 9million is the price being mentioned

Is the level of player that would be the minimum standard needed to replace Agger.

Although if we go back to last summer, we were meant to be on the verge of buying him a number of times then as well and we got Coates instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mike, you're a cystic peg.

Now, what do I win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gaelicred wrote: »
    We are trying to do the right thing by not overpaying for players and giving obscene wages to mediocre players it will take some time in Brendan we trust

Eh, Joe Allen? :confused:

Godin would be a cracking player to play alongside Agger though. Would make more sense to buy Godin to partner Agger than replace him if one thinks about it.

Is an Agger level player in many ways (passing, reading of game) but would be a massive upgrade on Skrtel in terms of strength, speed, aggression, passing, and positioning.

Godin instead of Agger would mean, imho of course, Skrtel needing leadership beside him, but Godin alongside Agger would put two similar level players as our last line of defense before Reina.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Eh, Joe Allen? :confused:

I did say it will take time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Dont city have a few good defenders they dont want . I reckon a cash and player deal would be great . Only problem is their players wont move unless their wages are kept the same .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

So we should just accept it and keep paying over the odds for players? No were not Newcastle were ****ing Liverpool a bigger club and i would also like to think a more attractive club for players to come to.

Newcastle were once the laughing stock of the league when in came to transfers - Luque(£9.5 million), Boumsong(£8 million), Viana (€12 million), Xisco (£7million). That's excluding players like Owen, Rozehal, and Duff who certainly didn't offer value for money, and there's probably a good few others im forgetting. There's absolutely no reason why we can't get value in the market.

This is my point - we sell Agger for £30m we'll get destroyed on price unless we replace him first i.e. the potential business we're doing with Godin that's been mentioned since - that's the smart way to do things.

You're right - a more attractive club to come and play for, a bigger club for selling clubs to move players to. A team like Liverpool comes in for a player and the price goes up, that's the way it seems to be lately only we've been more than happy to pay over the odds.

If we sell Agger before getting a replacement then whoever replaces him will have a few extra bob added to his pricetag I've no doubt about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

I think, perhaps, you're giving him too much credit.

Skrtel plays better as a result of having Agger beside him.

Skrtel is a very good player but he's not a better defender, leader, passer, reader of the game than Agger.

Overall Agger is the better defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Skrtel was better than he had previously been - because he was playing with Agger most of the time! Stick him with Carra and its a different tale. Not his fault just an indicator of his innate skills and that he needs his steel to work beside Aggers er Sapphire.

Carra previously smashing his jaw in can't exactly inspire him with confidence either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

maybe we can convince City to buy Skrtel for £20m+ once we seal Godin for £9-12m?

that, i could just about handle.

SlickRic wrote: »
    maybe we can convince City to buy Skrtel for £20m+ once we seal Godin for £9-12m?

He's enough tats to pass off as Agger for a while. Give him a wig, scrape YNWA on his knuckles and send him on his way for £30m.

Most people are aware that Skrtel doesn't 'go to pieces' - his development in the last year has been amazing - he's a top CB but he doesn't bring the ball out of the back like Agger does (you're talking to a huge Agger fan here btw!) The gap between them isn't that large admittedly but I still think Agger is a better footballer and defender overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Agger has been playing at a better level for a lot longer than Skrtel. Skrtel had a great season last year. But the previous years saw a lot of people wondering whether he deserved his reputation. He was getting beaten on the physical side of the game by smaller lads.

Skrtel did play very well last year and once Agger was back in the team the change is Skrtel was amazing, but he is not in Agger's class as a defender and would be much easier to replace than Agger imho.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Skrtel did play very well last year and once Agger was back in the team the change is Skrtel was amazing, but he is not in Agger's class as a defender and would be much easier to replace than Agger imho.

Either this time last year, or the year before(I wasn't really active then but the timing would seem more correct), you spoke of selling Skrtel for as little as 3m if I remember correctly.

The change in him once Agger got an extended run was phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

SlickRic wrote: »

That I could deal with a hell of a lot beter tbh. Losing Skrtel for that sort of money wouldn't be a disaster. Since his debut season, which was good in fairness, he hasn't looked that great. Good yes, but not great. Even last season, there were lots of times were he reverted to what I think is his "type", a bit clumsy, a bit messy, not great passing or vision.

I don't think you see that as much when he has Agger alsongside him for two reasons. Firstly, Agger snuffs out quite a bit of opposition attacking play before it gets going. His reading and vision is so much better, it prevents the situation whereby its Skrtel on the edge of the area lunging/barging in. Secondly, and has been mentioned by others too, Agger provides the right type of leadership and direction on the field. It's not the Terry shouty stuff, but just making sure people are where they should be, and again reading the play really well.

Godin would definitely be an upgrade on Skrtel, no doubt about it. Going into the season with Agger, Godin and Coates as our main 3, with Carra, Kelly and the younger lads as backup would be pretty good tbh.

Selling Agger is just something that would be very hard to take tbh. Like others, the only way that it is tolerable is if the price is at least 25million and we find an adequate replacement. Those replacements are out there. I would also want to see some more genuine quality players coming in to play up top.

btw, people need to stop equating quality with big name.

Either this time last year, or the year before(I wasn't really active then but the timing would seem more correct), you spoke of selling Skrtel for as little as 3m if I remember correctly.

The change in him once Agger got an extended run was phenomenal.

You don't remember correctly methinks, but I was critical of Skrtel the season before last and also in the earlier parts of last season before Agger became the mainstay beside him.

Never suggested selling him for a figure as low as 3m, but I reckon I did say we should replace him with a higher quality player.

I also know that I came out a few times last season and said that I was amazed at the change in Skrtel and at how good he was playing after Agger got back in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Its quite simple we need agger but we could replace skrtle if it needed to be done . I was talking to my mate today and we normally don't agree but we did agree on the fact if we are going to sell agger we should ask for 25 million and Adebayor just to ram it into the face of Levy that we are no mugs when it comes to the transfer market .

Kess73 wrote: »
    You don't remember correctly, but I was critical of Skrtel the season before last and also in the earlier parts of last season before Agger became the mainstay beside him.

Never suggested selling him for a figure as low as 3m, but I reckon I did say we should replace him with a higher quality player.

I also know that I came out a few times last season and said that I was amazed at the change in Skrtel and at how good he was playing after Agger got back in the team.

Yeah, I definitely remember you posting a good bit about Skrtel and his 50p head, which to be fair, not many would of argued with at the time. :p

How assured he was last year was incredible for a player who had digressed, if anything, after his first season with us. And yes, I do think a lot of that had to do with Agger.

In his first season Skrtel played a lot with Carra I think, and Carra back then could carry him. In the few seasons after that with Carra's waning ability and Agger's injuries he looked shaky, and quite frankly not up to it. A quick search on some of your posts on Skrtel during that period will show much the same thinking. Also I believe nearly everyone would have been on board with selling Skrtel last summer and the summer beforehand.

This actually worries me even more now with regards to the sale of Agger. Has Skrtel genuinely improved, or is he really that dependent on a top CB beside him? I don't think I want to find out.

As for the 3 million part, maybe you didn't say sell him for that, but I was almost sure you suggested that was his actual value in your eyes. Could well have been a tongue in cheek post thinking about it. I definitely remember you pondering over what it was we could sell him for, and it certainly wasn't in double digits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

This actually worries me even more now with regards to the sale of Agger. Has Skrtel genuinely improved, or is he really that dependent on a top CB beside him? I don't think I want to find out.

I think thats the big thing with Skrtel and tbh I'm not convinced that he has progressed as much as some would have you believe. If we keep Agger and they get plenty of gametime together, then grand, I can see him being close enough to the high points of last season. Without Agger, well, like you, I'm not sure I want to test that out.
    As for the 3 million part, maybe you didn't say sell him for that, but I was almost sure you suggested that was his actual value in your eyes. Could well have been a tongue in cheek post thinking about it. I definitely remember you pondering over what it was we could sell him for, and it certainly wasn't in double digits.

Before last season though, Skrtel wouldn't have really been worth a huge amount. At best 10 - 12 million but I think we would have been pushed getting that. I would have thought that prior to last season we would have gotten somewhere between 8 - 10million for him tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Agger & Skittles works .

Why fix what's not broken cause this partnership had the best defensive record in the premiership last season remember .

Yes we could probably make £10mil by a high priced sale of Skittles and bringing in a £10mil replacement, but would we get the same results on the pitch ?

Quick Levia, ninja edit before someone spots it :p

Quick Levia, ninja edit before someone spots it :p

Pheeeeew

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

My head hurt there for a second.

El Spearo wrote: »
    My head hurt there for a second.

Bang it of Lucas' knee? :p

@Rachel5030: Just got this pic with Dani Agger in Que Pasa Lark Lane.Said to him please don't go,he said i won't be #beeming #YNWA http://t.co/tfwQ7PtG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Jen Chang @JenChang88

Some player-related news to appear on the LFC website in the next 10-15 minutes

Just now on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Whoop de dooo....
    Richard Buxton ‏@Richard_Buxton_
    #LFC's deal for Joe Allen has been finalised #Swans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Skirtel's performances without Agger last year were visibly poorer. Agger was Skirtels biggest promoter and started most of the positive comments about him with an interview.

Bellamy-"I spent the last three weeks hounding Allen to go to Liverpool. I'm delighted for #LFC because they've just got an immense player."

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

• Advertisement

Official

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/allen-completes-liverpool-move

joe_allen_(2).jpg
    Our new No.24

joe_allen_(13).jpg
    Rodgers:
    "Joe is a player whose profile will fit perfectly with the ideas of this group. His ability to control and dominate the ball is an important ingredient in our attempt to gain success on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nice one, look forward to seeing him play now! Welsh players always seem to turn out well for us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Welcome Joe Allen.. our future Iniesta perhaps :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

Cant believe the cash shelled out to get this kid. # astonishing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

kop77 wrote: »

This is great news to kick off the weekend.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Leiva wrote: »
    Official

joe_allen_(13).jpg

Brendan looks like your drunken uncle in that pic.:p

Delighted with it tbh. He looks a great player in the making.

So long as we don't make a habit of overpaying to that scale - well I just hope that Brendan thinks he's worth it in the end. Overpaying a bit for a player who goes on to have a fantastic season isn't that big a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Cant believe the cash shelled out to get this kid. # astonishing

Definitely got screwed over with the deal...wanted to pay 15million plus Adam, f*ckers would only take the 15 million.

#pleasestopthehashtagbullsh*t

Leiva wrote: »
    crystal ball
    I see a stethoscope.
    A Welshman
    and a gentleman of Pakistan origin

Wow this crystal ball really works :p
    allen1_(12).jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Should be a good signing considering Rogers style, it will definately us more options and playstyles.

Also happy to see that Agger post, I'm taking that as being 100% solid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement