Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Saw the game past night and it was a nice watch. Borini and Suarez really pressed the defenders and Lucas was Lucas.
    Downing played better than he has but he always plays well agaisnt weaker opposition, so I wouldn't be confident that he can turn his Liverpool career around.
    Shelvey was very disappointing though. Made some naive decisions and showed poor judgement at times. I think he has the ability to be an excellent player but I would rather he went on loan to develop further and get those little kinks out of his system.
    Will he even get much game time?
    Borini and Suarez look like they can be a real mencance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

For anyone looking for it.
    Joe Allen today spoke of his confidence that Brendan Rodgers can return Liverpool to the top of English football after completing his transfer from Swansea City.

The 22-year-old has been reunited with his former boss after undergoing a medical at Melwood and signing a long-term contract to become our second summer signing following the arrival of Fabio Borini.

Allen granted his first interview to Liverpoolfc.com and explained how his belief in Rodgers was key to the move being finalised.

"Look at the players and staff, and obviously the supporters, and everything is there for us to be successful," said the Wales international.

"I'm looking forward to being part of some great years ahead for Liverpool Football Club.

"I have a lot of faith that Brendan Rodgers can bring success, that's one of the reasons I'm here. I wanted to be part of this project, his project, and I've really got a good feeling - as I'm sure all the players here have - that this football club is going to go from strength to strength in the next couple of seasons.

"Brendan is so passionate about his football. He works day in, day out to improve the team and everyone individually. Everyone wants to work alongside someone who has that way about them.

"One of his best things is his man management, it's second to none. He commands the respect of everyone and it's no different for me.

"To join back up with him was definitely a big pull for me."

Signing for Liverpool completes a remarkable journey through the ranks of English football for Allen.

He made his league debut for Swansea in a 6-3 League One defeat to Blackpool as a 17-year-old in 2007.

Over the coming seasons the midfielder would help the Swans reach the Barclays Premier League and this summer he represented Team GB in the Olympic Games.

Asked if he would have believed five years ago that this day would come, Allen replied: "No, probably not.

"It was hard to believe at first and very flattering to be linked to a top club like this. It shows you're doing something right, I guess.

"I've always been ambitious and wanting to get to the top but getting there is a completely different thing. It's definitely hard to believe. It's been a quick rise for me."

Though a progression from Football League player to Premier League star is not as common as it once was, Allen believes all those trips to stadiums like Bloomfield Road gave him an ideal grounding.

"I think if you look at the amount of games I've played for someone my age, that would probably only happen at a team that's come through the leagues," he said.

"That experience has been vital for me. I blossomed and improved because of that and I wouldn't change it for the world."

Swansea's rise to the top flight means Allen has already played in front of a capacity Anfield crowd when Rodgers led the south Wales club to a goalless draw last term.

The day left quite an impression on our new boy.

"The whole atmosphere at this ground is very rare," he said. "The passion that people here have for football is something I share and I want to be part of that. It's another part of the pull to this great club.

"As a Swansea player, that was one of the days you really remembered from last season. To get the chance to be here and have that as my home ground is a special feeling.

"I can't wait to experience the famous Liverpool support.

"I can't really imagine how I'll feel playing at Anfield right now. I'm excited about that prospect and witnessing the Anfield atmosphere and spirit, and being part of the home team, I'm sure it will be incredible."

Swansea's midfield was lauded by neutrals last term as Rodgers' brand of possession-based football secured a debut season finish of 11th despite a limited budget.

Now Allen will find himself on the same teamsheet as midfielders such as Lucas Leiva and Steven Gerrard.

"It's hard to believe," he said. "You find yourself pinching yourself.

"These are the kind of players I've grown up watching and trying to emulate. To get the chance to be playing alongside them is a fantastic feeling and it's only going to enhance my game.

"It's an opportunity for me personally. I've always been ambitious and wanted to play at the highest level I possibly could. When you see an opportunity like this it's almost impossible to turn it down.

"I'm someone who wants to be the best I can be. Every day, in training or in matches, I always want to improve. You'll always get 100 per cent out of me and I'm really looking forward to gelling with the top-class players who are here and doing my bit for the club.

"It's a proud day for me and my family. They have supported me through thick and thin for so long that this is as much a reward for them as it is for me.

"I feel proud, I'm really thrilled and I'm looking forward to my time here."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I for one welcome our new sharp eyed nimble footed midfield metronome (any mention of the price yet?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I would say thats spearing out the door in the next year or so . I would also look into loaning out Shelvey if we can't give him at least 20 games this season because thats the last thing we need is stagnating Shelveys progress .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'd keep Spearing. Given his loyalty and likely low wages he's useful squad filler imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

I don't see why the outcry at the price. How much was Phil Jones? How much was Chris Smalling? Not just British either, how much was Siggurdsson? 10m right? Valencia went for serious money after one great season at Wigan.

Downing was crazy money because of his age and ability. Henderson was crazy because there were, and still are, questions about his ability. Carroll doesn't need commenting on.

People see Liverpool spending 15m on a young British player and think here we go again. If this was United or say Spurs paying the same money it would hardly be mentioned.

Everyone expects Allen to turn out great so the going rate was paid. Doesn't mean he will but same goes for other players mentioned.

Oh and Chucky the tree, if Agger goes for 30m fine but hoping for it to happen? The man is world class and lives and breathes Liverpool, are you a fan at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I would say thats spearing out the door in the next year or so . I would also look into loaning out Shelvey if we can't give him at least 20 games this season because thats the last thing we need is stagnating Shelveys progress .

Id say adam will go, still praying hell be part of the dempsey deal even though its gone cold recently. Spearing is a more direct replacement for lucas even though its far from an ideal back up.

mike65 wrote: »
    Well I for one welcome our new sharp eyed nimble footed midfield metronome (any mention of the price yet?!)

Not officially, but most reports yesterday claimed £15m release clause activated. To counter this though, the Yahoo match report for the game yesterday mentioned it as being £10m. Not exactly trustworthy though is it?

I would be absolutely delighted if we managed to get him for 10m tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can allen live up to the previous number 24 n'gog? hmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

So what line up does everyone think rodgers will use first game of the season? (If team stays the same)

Pepe
    Johnson,Agger,Skittles,Enrique
    Lucas,Allen,
    Gerrard
    Borini,Suaraz,Downing?

Can allen live up to the previous number 24 n'gog? hmmm....

The best thing about N'gog was his nickname.

Wash :D

So what line up does everyone think rodgers will use first game of the season? (If team stays the same)

Pepe
    Johnson,Agger,Skittles,Enrique
    Lucas,Allen,
    Gerrard
    Borini,Suaraz,Downing?

Genuinely, do people think if we can add another attacker and push Downing to a more backup player, do people think we have enough about to push for top 4?

I'm actually liking the balance to that team. If we can keep Agger, Lucas and Suarez fit for a season, massive amount of luck needed here, we're not a million miles away I would think.

That said, I've been saying all summer I think 6th is about right for us this season and its more about laying good foundations and seeing progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

G.K. wrote: »
    I'd keep Spearing. Given his loyalty and likely low wages he's useful squad filler imo.

not sure Spearing wages are as low as we think, i remember someone commenting on it when Rafa was here and hes hardly reduced his wages since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Knex. wrote: »
    Genuinely, do people think if we can add another attacker and push Downing to a more backup player, do people think we have enough about to push for top 4?

I'm actually liking the balance to that team. If we can keep Agger, Lucas and Suarez fit for a season, massive amount of luck needed here, we're not a million miles away I would think.

That said, I've been saying all summer I think 6th is about right for us this season and its more about laying good foundations and seeing progress.

definitely top four this season. stevie g said it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

what i feel Rodgers team will be

Reina
    Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
    Lucas Allen Gerrard
    New Signing Borini
    Suarez

• Advertisement

already a Joe Allen Interview on LFC TV right now
    what a great channel it is imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Anyone else watching Bellers on SSN at his Cardiff press conference ?

I am absolutely delighted for the fella that he is back home closer to his family as the guy looks like the last 12months have probably been the hardest in his life with what happened his close friend Gary Speed .

He was almost in tears talking about how the last few months have taught him that there is more to life than football.

Well it's a big thank you from me and I wish the fella all the best for the remainder of his career and life in general .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Cant believe the cash shelled out to get this kid. # astonishing

Definitely got screwed over with the deal...wanted to pay 15million plus Adam, f*ckers would only take the 15 million.

#pleasestopthehashtagbullsh*t

We'll find out over the next season or two if we got shafted on the deal or not. Could turn out to be cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I'd guess after singing Allen/Borini we don't have a lot left in the wheelbarrow. It's a real shame if that's the case as if we could spend £15m+ on a quality winger that would give us a very exciting first eleven going into the new season. Hopefully we can sort one of those loan players Rodgers was talking about. Depth would still obviously be a big worry over the course of the season.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    I'd guess after singing Allen/Borini we don't have a lot left in the wheelbarrow. It's a real shame if that's the case as if we could spend £15m+ on a quality winger that would give us a very exciting first eleven going into the new season. Hopefully we can sort one of those loan players Rodgers was talking about. Depth would still obviously be a big worry over the course of the season.

Opr

Tello looks set to join on loan .

I reckon Carroll will be gone by the close but I think any funds won't go back into the wheelbarrow (shame on you using that word by the way ;) )

• Advertisement

Leiva wrote: »

I reckon Carroll will be gone by the close but I think any funds won't go back into the wheelbarrow (shame on you using that word by the way ;) )
    where do u see that?
    i know we have been linked but i didnt see anything concrete about that happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yikes! Brendan Rodgers in full on eulogy mode
    You'd think he was a Spanish player, a real European player. I would have paid many more millions for this kid," said Rodgers, who managed Allen at Swansea. "He is a unique player in that he's a British player who doesn't give the ball away. When he comes into this team you'll see the difference he can make.

"He's incredible on the ball, his intelligence for a 22-year-old is frightening, his game understanding is very, very good and he's in love with the football. He loves the ball. I think he'll fit in really well with all the other clever players we already have here. I'm excited about the prospect of Allen fitting in with our front four, because I think even at this early stage, their combination has been excellent."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I am absolutely delighted for the fella that he is back home closer to his family as the guy looks like the last 12months have probably been the hardest in his life with what happened his close friend Gary Speed .

He was almost in tears talking about how the last few months have taught him that there is more to life than football.

Well it's a big thank you from me and I wish the fella all the best for the remainder of his career and life in general .

Hopefully Cardiff get promoted and he has a chance to play again at anfield before he retires so we can give him the final sendoff he deserves.

:o

Christ. He knows he's at Liverpool right? Where he needs to temper fans expectations not light a fecking fire under them!

Gbear wrote: »
    Hopefully Cardiff get promoted and he has a chance to play again at anfield before he retires so we can give him the final sendoff he deserves.

If he ever has a testimonial game, and I bet he will with his charity and all that, you can bet it will be Cardiff against Liverpool.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was in Anfield, he is a massive supporter by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Good man Brendan that's the spirit. Waaaheeey, we're going to win the league.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Well said sir. I doff my cap to thee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Any link for this ?
    I couldn't find anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I love how Rodgers describes him as the next "big thing" yet no other club in england, never mind, world football, was in for him.

A good player but 15 millions worth of a good player I dont think so.

Best of luck to Bellamy, my opinion of him has changed these past few years.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    where do u see that?
    i know we have been linked but i didnt see anything concrete about that happening
    Any link for this ?
    I couldn't find anything

My crystal ball !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Interesting quotes in the guardian from Rodgers

"Hopefully between now and the end of August we can get some more players in who can help the players we have here. That would be great. I don't really want to say how many I'd like to bring in, because if I say three for instance, then people might say you've not got three if it doesn't happen. It is always complex at a big club. What I have learnt here very quickly is the minute Liverpool are interested it adds about two noughts onto the price tag of a player, it's absolutely incredible."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/10/joe-allen-liverpool-swansea

Two more players would do me. A winger/striker and a left back please.

My crystal ball bollocks !

More like ;)

:p

kippy wrote: »
    I love how Rodgers describes him as the next "big thing" yet no other club in england, never mind, world football, was in for him.

Best of luck to Bellamy, my opinion of him has changed these past few years.
    I believe Spurs were in for him.

Was Phil Jones over priced at 18m? Smalling at 12?

How many teams in world football were in for Rooney when he was next big thing? Very rare foreign clubs come in for young British players.

15m going rate and looks like we got a good player who is ready made to do job manager needs him to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Less than a week to go. I must admit i am getting a little excited again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

budgemook wrote: »

Spurs were never in for him , they got their man in Sig

5live wrote: »
    Less than a week to go. I must admit i am getting a little excited again:)

We are still a bit short but

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

How do you know who was in for him?

i really hope we get Clint Dempsey

• Advertisement

Spurs were never in for him , they got their man in Sig
    I read in many publications they were. I know that means little but what makes you so sure they weren't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

How many teams in world football were in for Rooney when he was next big thing? Very rare foreign clubs come in for young British players.

15m going rate and looks like we got a good player who is ready made to do job manager needs him to do.

I dont think I seen any reports of spurs being linked with him tbh.
    I doubt very much spurs would pay that kind of money for many players either.
    Its more the fact that Rodgers reckons Allen is an epic (sic) footballer that concerns me. Its fairly obvious Liverpool were the only club in for him, yet they still spent 15 odd million on him.
    Jones and Smalling both had a few clubs interested in them but they weren't worth that kind of money either at the time.

I mentioned earlier in the week the two faces of Fergie, one which laughed at PSG spending 40 million euros on a 19 year old saying it was madness and the other that spend 30 odd million pounds on an 18 year old player 8 years ago.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Most definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Retarded articles are retarded.

Deserves a gif in that case lol
    tumblr_litllspUhw1qzy62f.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Smith in the times saying looking for sahin and dempsey. Loads of Twitter rumors re tello on loan. Think we'll get tello and dempsey. don't think we'll go for rameriz as too dear and overrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

I read in many publications they were. I know that means little but what makes you so sure they weren't?

Because theres no way Levy would have paid out that kind of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

BRod wrote:
    I would have paid many more millions for this kid," said Rodgers

Brillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllliant. That should help future negotiations.
    Dumb as rocks.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Most definitely.
    It's just what these players cost.

Kippy :
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2180188/Joe-Allen-wanted-Tottenham.html

Just googled spurs joe Allen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I dont think I seen any reports of spurs being linked with him tbh.
    I doubt very much spurs would pay that kind of money for many players either.
    Its more the fact that Rodgers reckons Allen is an epic (sic) footballer that concerns me. Its fairly obvious Liverpool were the only club in for him, yet they still spent 15 odd million on him.
    Jones and Smalling both had a few clubs interested in them but they weren't worth that kind of money either at the time.

I mentioned earlier in the week the two faces of Fergie, one which laughed at PSG spending 40 million euros on a 19 year old saying it was madness and the other that spend 30 odd million pounds on an 18 year old player 8 years ago.......
    Thats the price in the release clause in his contract. Swansea didnt want to sell but we wanted him and so were
    forced to pay the release clause price, no more no less

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement