Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Has it actually been announced yet by either Swansea or Liverpool that we did in fact pay 15m?

From what I can gather that price is still a rumoured price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Brillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllliant. That should help future negotiations.
    Dumb as rocks.

I thought the same when I read it but put it down to Brendan being a little too excited and saying something he doesnt mean .

Oh no wait ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Sahin surely is dead in the water now we've Allen. Don't get me wrong I would love him but surely we need players elsewhere much more now. Christ if it did happen midfield options of Lucas, Allen, Shelvey, Sahin, Gerrard and Henderson would be out of this world.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

opr wrote: »
    Sahin surely is dead in the water now we've Allen. Don't get me wrong I would love him but surely we need players elsewhere much more now. Christ if it did happen midfield options of Lucas, Allen, Shelvey, Sahin, Gerrard and Henderson would be out of this world.

Opr

Completely agree. It'd be a massive shock if we were in for Sahin.

Tellos could be an interesting option I think, especially if Sterling goes on loan.

Opr

Agreed. It wouldn't make sense to put our resources in that basket, loan or not. And I doubt Madrid are gonna that Chabby Adams in exchange.

We absolutely need a winger now. Even looking at the bench the last night against Gomel, not a single player capable of playing out wide there. Granted, Carroll could of come on and Suarez pushed out, but its not enough.

Winger and a CAM are needed I feel, but the winger is by far the priority.

tok9 wrote: »
    Completely agree. It'd be a massive shock if we were in for Sahin.

Tellos could be an interesting option I think, especially if Sterling goes on loan.

We were talking about Tello the other day on the thread and I for one hope it doesn't happen. I know he is still relatively young but he's all pace without much between the ears. Watching the lads last night we need cleverness, interchange etc none of which he offers. Although we do lack pace in the side at the moment.

Still no more stupid footballers :o

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Knex. wrote: »
    If he ever has a testimonial game, and I bet he will with his charity and all that, you can bet it will be Cardiff against Liverpool.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was in Anfield, he is a massive supporter by all accounts.

The lad could have a testimonial tournament. You'd probably have to have qualifiers and all given the number of clubs he's played for

Terrific player though, and always respected him. Was unlucky he never played in a side good enough to match his ability for any length of time. A real shame it was necessary to sell him in order to fund the Torres signing
    dmigsy wrote: »
    Interesting quotes in the guardian from Rodgers

"Hopefully between now and the end of August we can get some more players in who can help the players we have here. That would be great. I don't really want to say how many I'd like to bring in, because if I say three for instance, then people might say you've not got three if it doesn't happen. It is always complex at a big club. What I have learnt here very quickly is the minute Liverpool are interested it adds about two noughts onto the price tag of a player, it's absolutely incredible."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/10/joe-allen-liverpool-swansea

Two more players would do me. A winger/striker and a left back please.

Other clubs would daft not to do that. Historically, others have done so and pulled it off. Having Liverpool interested in one of your players is akin to to having City or PSG interested interms of being able to command well over what the players true worth is
    Gmol wrote: »
    Smith in the times saying looking for sahin and dempsey. Loads of Twitter rumors re tello on loan. Think we'll get tello and dempsey. don't think we'll go for rameriz as too dear and overrated

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall an interview with Sahin shortly after he signed for Real. When Liverpool were mentioned as a possible alternative after he left Germany, he was more or less sniggering at the prospect. I'm sure the interview was in fourfourtwo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

I'd be happy enough with the arrival of Dempsey, but have to agree with others - Tello is a headless chicken.

We were talking about Tello the other day on the thread and I for one hope it doesn't happen. I know he is still relatively young but he's all pace without much between the ears. Watching the lads last night we need cleverness, interchange etc none of which he offers. Although we do lack pace in the side at the moment.

Still no more stupid footballers :o

Opr

I was thinking about this over the last few days, and the best player that we have been linked to, from what I could gather, is Mertens.

Has pace to burn, can interchange nicely between any of the attacking positions, has an eye for goal and is coming into his prime at 25.

Considering himself and, is it Strootmans?, not sure tbh, were signed together for under €15m last season its not too unfeasible for him to be signed for around the 15m mark this season.

The other would be Afellay but I really don't think he's gonna leave Barca this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The lad could have a testimonial tournament. You'd probably have to have qualifiers and all given the number of clubs he's played for

Terrific player though, and always respected him. Was unlucky he never played in a side good enough to match his ability for any length of time. A real shame it was necessary to sell him in order to fund the Torres signing

Other clubs would daft not to do that. Historically, others have done so and pulled it off. Having Liverpool interested in one of your players is akin to to having City or PSG interested interms of being able to command well over what the players true worth is

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall an interview with Sahin shortly after he signed for Real. When Liverpool were mentioned as a possible alternative after he left Germany, he was more or less sniggering at the prospect. I'm sure the interview was in fourfourtwo

I can't recall Nuri Sahin being linked to Liverpool, and I followed his progress quite a lot, since he played for Borussia Dortmund. But he would be a good choice for Liverpool, even if that might never happen in my lifetime :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wouldn't be surprised if we got Allen for less than 15 million. It sounds like he submitted a transfer request, which he obviously wouldn't have done if we were simply triggering a clause, as he'd be losing his loyalty bonus for no reason.

I suspect that we've paid 15m minus whatever his loyalty bonus would have been, so Swansea have gotten the same amount they would have if we paid 15 outright.

Standard loyalty bonus I believe is 15% of the fee, which makes the fee we would have paid closer to 12.5million.

Knex. wrote: »
    I was thinking about this over the last few days, and the best player that we have been linked to, from what I could gather, is Mertens.

Has pace to burn, can interchange nicely between any of the attacking positions, has an eye for goal and is coming into his prime at 25.

Considering himself and, is it Strootmans?, not sure tbh, were signed together for under €15m last season its not too unfeasible for him to be signed for around the 15m mark this season.

The other would be Afellay but I really don't think he's gonna leave Barca this season.

It will be telling to see how interested in more players as outright buys we seem. tbh every penny we spend from here on in is going to make me extremely nervous as I'll just be thinking it's coming out of the Agger fund :(

I thought the loans had merit in that you could bring players in now who can hopefully supplement the squad enough that we can have a shot at top 4 and if we make it then you can buy them outright or go out and spend the extra money next summer on outright deals.

Afellay is by far the best of the loan options touted imo but as you say he seems unlikely at this stage.

Opr

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I can't recall Nuri Sahin being linked to Liverpool, and I followed his progress quite a lot, since he played for Borussia Dortmund. But he would be a good choice for Liverpool, even if that might never happen in my lifetime :(

I'll see if I can find the interview, bizarrely I keep all the old fourfourtwo's

LiamoSail wrote: »

I don't think there was really an alternative to Real Madrid. He made it very clear to Dortmund that he was going to Real and noone else, which is why Real got him for such an unbelievable price.

I presume every other club in the world tabled a matching bid (absolute steal at 8.8 million) at the time, but there were no realistic links to anyone else other than Real.

Lars1916 wrote: »

He's linked in tomorrows papers by a few journalists. The Anfield Warp today had Rory smith on who thinks he will end up at Arsenal or Liverpool.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

He's linked in tomorrows papers by a few journalists. The Anfield Warp today had Rory smith on who thinks he will end up at Arsenal or Liverpool.

Opr

Right. If I hear something from my sources in Germany, I'll let you know :)

Anyway, he was a key player for Borussia Dortmund when they won the title in the 2010/20111 season, just made that one mistake of going to Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hope if we get him we make sure to let them know we'd have paid more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

He was being annecdotal. Don't think he meant it literally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Who cares once we have got him? Rodgers was talking about Allen, not anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

If we do sign Sahin, I might have a little weep.... in joy of course :p

It'd be interesting to see the starting XI if dream became reality though.

Who cares once we have got him? Rodgers was talking about Allen, not anyone else

Because we have a deserved reputation for getting bent over and Brendan Rogered in transfer dealings?
    Because he isn't the last player we will ever buy.
    Because no one else is going to look at it that way, nor should they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

budgemook wrote: »
    He was being annecdotal. Don't think he meant it literally

This is the internet where everything is literal, and very little is literrate

Propaganda photos with a close up of the Agger tattoo. He even got traces of red throughout it. Feeling some incredible manlove right about now.

tumblr_m8js2yDVlJ1rw5pfxo1_1280.png

Opr

-Ade- wrote: »

I'd guess;

Reina
    Skrtel----Agger
    Johnson
    Enrique
    Lucas
    Sahin
    Allen
    --Gerrard
    Borini
    Suarez

With Sahin, Allen and Gerrard all swapping about, moving to find find the space, with Borini and Suarez swapping around too.

I can't see Sahin choosing us over Arsenal. He apparently has knocked back Spurs a few times.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    -Ade- wrote: »

I'd guess;

Reina
    Skrtel----Agger
    Johnson
    Enrique
    Lucas
    Sahin
    Allen
    --Gerrard
    Borini
    Suarez

With Sahin, Allen and Gerrard all swapping about, moving to find find the space, with Borini and Suarez swapping around too.
    Feckin hell, that'd be as good a starting 11 as anyone.

Suarez leading the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

I'd guess;

Reina
    Skrtel----Agger
    Johnson
    Enrique
    Lucas
    Sahin
    Allen
    --Gerrard
    Borini
    Suarez

Sense of realism is needed imo , why would sahin swap champo league and sunny madrid for a cold night in edinburgh in the "wofa" cup , no chance this will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Propaganda photos with a close up of the Agger tattoo. He even got traces of red throughout it. Feeling some incredible manlove right about now.

tumblr_m8js2yDVlJ1rw5pfxo1_1280.png

Opr

I would brofist d'agger so hard :cool:

MAXIMUM_BROFIST_by_Defiant_Ant.png

I don't think there was really an alternative to Real Madrid. He made it very clear to Dortmund that he was going to Real and noone else, which is why Real got him for such an unbelievable price.

I don't think so either, and to if its a choice between Real or Liverpool, there's very few who choose Liverpool. However his reaction was seemed akin to Michael Owen's at the prospect of playing in the championship. Again though, I'm only basing this on a vague recollection of something I read about a year ago

• Advertisement

Suarez leading the line?

Personally, id always have Borini centre forward, with Suarez attacking from deeper (where imo he's most effective), but Suarez led the line yesterday. Realistically, id say starting position won't really matter. I would hope to see Borini central more often, but I think they'll be doing a huge amount of moving around.

Personally, id always have Borini centre forward, with Suarez attacking from deeper (where imo he's most effective), but Suarez led the line yesterday. Realistically, id say starting position won't really matter. I would hope to see Borini central more often, but I think they'll be doing a huge amount of moving around.

Personally I loved the way we set up with him as the false 9 yesterday. Been beating the donkey for ages that's how we should play him and surround him on both sides and behind with good intelligent players who can all interlink and move positions.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

sure to win the league that

this is your year

Helix wrote: »

sure to win the league that

this is your year
    Nope. No Sahin and it's a squad game. No need to get stupid and knock out tired old cliches.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'd guess;

Reina
    Skrtel----Agger
    Johnson
    Enrique
    Lucas
    Sahin
    Allen
    --Gerrard
    Borini
    Suarez

Yup, that's the one I had in mind myself. Gerrard willing to play there/Rodgers wanting him to play there is another thing though , assuming we did sign Nuri of course. First time this summer I'm letting my mind run with us signing him :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

What if Man City and Liverpool agree a fee and Agger just knocks them back on personal terms? They can't force him out the door, can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Word going around 18 million for Agger plus Adam Johnson on loan for a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

gaelicred wrote: »

thats laughable.

Thats what i thought when Johnsons not on the bench hes out on the lash

DrumSteve wrote: »
    thats laughable.

LFC transfer policy style

• Advertisement

Hope sure we are to tell everyone that we would have let him go for less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"word going around.." :rolleyes: yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'd guess;

Reina
    Skrtel----Agger
    Johnson
    Enrique
    Lucas
    Sahin
    Allen
    --Gerrard
    Borini
    Suarez

Nobody seems to be putting Carroll in their first 11 which makes me wonder, why the dramatics on this thread over his sale?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Nope. No Sahin and it's a squad game. No need to get stupid and knock out tired old cliches.

You don't think that you claim was a touch silly no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

gaelicred wrote: »

I know its rumour but were are you seeing this, because I'm not seeing anything like this at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

It's called twitter boll&x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

gafferino wrote: »
    It's called twitter boll&x
    Bit harsh. Dr G was just asking!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Haha yeah but to be honest it's all rumours....I don't believe most of it.....just the good ones:pac:

• Advertisement

Liverpool have told Manchester City that they will have to bid either £27 million or £23 million plus Adam Johnson on a season-long loan if they want to take Daniel Agger away from Anfield.
    Roberto Mancini is keen to add to his options in the centre of defence and sees Agger as the ideal man.
    However, the defender played a key role in the successful Liverpool defence last season and the Reds will not let him go easily.
    The City manager was encouraged by new Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers saying that the centre back would be allowed to go for the right price, but the right price may prove too high for the Italian.
    Liverpool have already rejected lower offers from the Manchester club, who are yet to add anyone to their squad this summer.
    Since being bought by Sheikh Mansour, City have had to get used to paying a premium on signings and it appears it will be no different with the Dane.
    When questioned on the possibility of a move, Reds manager Brendan Rodgers said: "There's been contact from City but nowhere near the valuation of what the player is worth.
    "You can only consider something like that if it is going to benefit you. Of course you might lose a top player but if it benefits you going forward, and you can make two or three steps because of it, you may have to consider it."
    Although Agger is a top class defender, he has a long history of injury problems and that may well be enough to put Mancini off a big money offer.

[URL="javascript:void(0);"]inShare[/URL]0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement