Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Leiva wrote: »
    Next week is gonna be a busy week if we are to bring the squad up to scratch with new signings.

If no-one else left, then I think we would be fine with 2 signings – two wingers/forwards/attacking midfielders.
    On top of this if Carroll or Agger leave they will need to be replaced.
    If we can get rid of Adam or Cole we will not need to replace them.
    I personally think Agger will definitely stay, but I think Carroll will leave, so I think we will need to sign 3 players.

1) I wasn’t too keen on Dempsey at the start of the summer, but I did say that if all the experience of Bellamy, Maxi and Kuyt was lost then it would be no harm to bring Dempsey in. If we can offset the cost by sending Adam the other way, then even better. That would be one, very versatile signing out of the way at a very low outlay.

2) Probably will be a loan signing. No idea at this stage who it might be. If it is a winger/forward it would solve a lot of problems. If it is someone like Sahin it would complete our midfield and allow Gerrard to become part of our front 3. We could then spend the Carroll money on a forward player.

3) If we want to keep Andy, I’ll be happy with that. If we have identified another forward who we think will do a better job than Carroll will, then we should sell him outright for as much money as we can this window. We can then be done with the whole thing and can move forward.

Our defense and midfield would have plenty of depth and quality.
    Our attacking options for the front 3 would be: Suarez, Borini, Dempsey, Downing, Gerrard, NEW SIGNING, Sterling.
    I definitely think there is a way of ending this summer in a very strong position. We can do it by losing more players (Adam and Cole specifically) and adding possibly only 3 more (one on loan).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Kess73 wrote: »
    `

Still think we will go for a CAM type player who can also in either of the wide forward roles.

Just thinking about who we have gone for this summer (that we know of) and the signing of Allen and the failure to get Sigurdsson sticks out like a sore thumb.

Allen is the type of player who excels when he has a mobile and versatile CAM ahead of him a la Sigurdsson. Sigurdsson excels when he has a deep playmaker type or a metronome type to act as a foil to him.

We got Allen and we tried for Sigurdsson so methinks Rodgers will still want that CAM to link with Allen and also to tie the attackers together.

If it is a CAM that can also play in the wide roles, specifically the right sided one, then Gerrard and the possible new CAM would share the CAM and right sided roles between them with Downing slotting into the right sided role when either Gerrard or the new CAM are out.

Borini, for me, will be filling the left sided slot and the central (of the front three attacking slots). He can drift and interchange, but anyone who has seen the guy play will know that he won't be starting in the right sided attacking slot as he is not so effective coming from that side if he is in a fixed position on the right.

Suarez can play in any of the attacking positions but unless he goes right and Borini takes the centre slot, then I don't see a CAM, for whom his best secondary position is the left sided slot, coming in.

What further strengthens my own belief that we are looking at a CAM, is that Rodgers is big into his attacking front four, a very mobile front three with a CAM tucked behind them, and in the last week or two he has spoken of his front four a lot. I think Downing is part of his plans for a front four, but maybe a back up plan, but the one player he has not mentioned once in any of his interviews, whilst taking about having a front four, is Carroll. He has mentioned Carroll in other parts of interviews but never in relation to the front four set up.

Gerrard, Suarez, Borini, and Downing have all been namechecked in his front four talks. Sterling was mentioned. And Rodgers has at least twice spoken of the importance of an attacking midfielder behind his front three after he had already namechecked Borini, Suarez, and Gerrard.

I'd be very surprised if Gerrard isn't first choice for the AMC role this season. How much of the season he manages remains to be seen.
    I'd imagine if Dempsey does come in (which is very much up in the air at the moment) he will provide cover for Gerrard in that position and also cover for the other two wide positions.
    We'd still need an upgrade on Downing for the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Next week is gonna be a busy week if we are to bring the squad up to scratch with new signings.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope that all of our business will be done before the first match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'd be very surprised if Gerrard isn't first choice for the AMC role this season. How much of the season he manages remains to be seen.
    I'd imagine if Dempsey does come in (which is very much up in the air at the moment) he will provide cover for Gerrard in that position and also cover for the other two wide positions.
    We'd still need an upgrade on Downing for the right.

Based on the last few seasons, Gerrard is only a 20-25 games in all comps player now. I would see anything above that as a serious bonus.

So if Gerrard continues that trend, we would then be missing our first choice CAM for a minimum of 23 -28 games this season and more if we progress further in the three cups than the minimum amount of games we can play (those numbers are assuming we get past Hearts)

We would then be relying on a squad player to fill in for more than half a season and we all saw how well that went last season.

I think a versatile young CAM coming in would make sense. Gerrard and that player could share the right forward and CAM roles between them, and if Gerrard is again out for lots of games then the new CAM takes the CAM slot and Downing covers on the right.

Demspey could make sense as well as he could cover the CAM role as well as the left sided role, but Demspey has never struck me as being overly comfortable on the right side, and has also struck me as being best in a left sided role with the CAM role being a secondary position.I also see him as a fairly direct attacking threat rather than a player who can be a direct threat as well as a linker of play from the CAM slot.

Then again simply having Dempsey would provide decent cover and a goal threat.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold out too much hope that all of our business will be done before the first match.

Would agree with you. If waiting until late in the window means the difference between getting the right player and getting an alright player, then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ramirez for me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

hefferboi wrote: »
    Arsenal look like they'll be title contenders this year. Serious squad.
    Will be interesting see will Podolski flop again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Liverpool: A selling Club ?

http://www.lfcts.com/a-selling-club/
    By Christie Corcoran August 11, 2012

‘A selling club’, something I thought would never be associated with Liverpool Football Club. A term that belongs with the teams without financial backing, something I thought we had, and whilst the image of it is present, is it a reality?

What is a selling club?

First of all, for those of you who aren’t quite sure what I mean by a selling club, this is a club that works on a sell to buy basis, examples of this can be found in David Moyes or Harry Redknapp, the wheeler dealer of football. A selling club differs from a feeding club; a feeding club produces some of the finest young talent, but because they don’t have the stature of Real Madrid, Manchester United, or Liverpool once upon a time. Ajax is the perfect example of this, creating some of the best talent in modern and old football, but selling it on to big teams. A selling club, are those that snap up said talent, from a young age and develop the individuals into world class players, like Cesc Fabregas, a product of the Barcelona Academy but it was Arsene Wenger who nurtured him into a fine young player. When the talent is at the peak on interest but not necessarily ability, the club in question sells it and repeats the process, and this in most cases, is the stumbling block towards their desired success.

Is this the path Liverpool Football Club is on?

Is the present day Liverpool a selling club? With stars being  rumoured to be wanting out of the club, it is not something that started recently. Again, it pains me to say, it is a legacy of Hicks and Gillett. I get no pleasure from mentioning their names and I will not dwell on the anger I have for them in this article.

Where it all began…

The departure of Xabi Alonso signalled the start of the path we are on to becoming a selling club. Liverpool had just finished second in the League and not by much; things were going well for the club. They had a number of players that could be labelled as world-class, the likes of Fernando Torres, Xabi Alonso, Javier Mascherano and even Sami Hyypia chipping in some appearances. A spine of a team that would match most teams, unfortunately Real Madrid had noticed the unrest of Alonso at Liverpool and put an offer on the table… Liverpool didn’t have to sell Xabi Alonso, the player didn’t want to leave, and the fans didn’t want to see him go. A spat with Rafa Benitez may ultimately been the reason for the Spaniards departure, never the less, he was never replaced. Attempts were made; the pursuit of Gareth Barry was insulting to a player like Alonso, as was his ‘replacement’ Alberto Aquilani, who is a talented footballer, I am not doubting his ability, but the fact remains, he was passed on by numerous managers, something wasn’t right. This caused one of the biggest sagas in recent football resulting in Aquilani leaving Liverpool. The pass master was never replaced. It makes me question, if Chelsea sold Lampard would he be replaced?  Of course he would.

Sold for £30million, Liverpool made a massive profit on Alonso thanks to the steal that was £10million transfer fee for a World Cup winner. Sadly, this led to a long line of players leaving Liverpool football club.  Javier Mascherano, another name we perhaps wish we had at the moment considering Lucas Leiva could get injured again and leave us with the likes of Jay Spearing. Mascherano was fast becoming one of the best players Liverpool had, the centre defensive midfielder we had been looking for and longed for. August 27th will be a tainted date for me personally; we had agreed to sell Mascherano. Why? He wanted to leave, and I stand by the statement that no player is bigger than the club but why would a player want to leave Liverpool Football Club? It was blindingly obvious we were going nowhere and fast.  Thankfully, Lucas developed into one of the finest Centre Defensive Midfielders in Europe, but with no cover on the books at Anfield we had missed out. This was a sign of us lowering status, succumbing to clubs such as Barcelona who we once belong with.

Alvaro Arbeloa departed for Real Madrid. Now, some might say we’ve got an adequate replacement in Glen Johnson, the situation begs the question, we are Liverpool, why should we consider selling our best players to Real Madrid? We have the same stature in world football don’t we?

Perhaps the most obvious one, Fernando Torres, sold to Chelsea for £50million. A fair price for an off form striker, and one who wanted out, something that is happening more and more at Anfield. Was he replaced? No. A replacement, as in the Alonso situation, should be someone of the same standard or with the potential to be of the same or similar standard. Much like Arsenal replaced Kolo Toure with Laurent Koscielny, a player who has grown and can now hold his position in the team. Andy Carroll, will never, ever be worth £50million. He will never be one of the best strikers in the world, this is not me discussing his flaws, but it remains true. It’s fact, we haven’t replaced Torres. Suarez is not a replacement, Luis Suarez was brought in to play alongside Fernando Torres, and now we can only think what if…

Why does this happen?

On the clubs side, Owners are to blame. Again, this is not me declaring my hatred for Hicks and Gillett or even FSG but they play a part. Football has become a business as such, and you have to spend to earn, the lack of spending has led to our lack of earning (Via Trophies and High League Positions). From a football fans point of view, I never want to see the day we turn into Manchester City or Chelsea, buying the league. That’s not for me. However, investment is needed in everything these days, keeping your wallet closed doesn’t lead to success and nor does pocketing the transfer funds received. From the players listed above we have £35million on Andy Carroll, £25million on Luis Suarez, £20million on Alberto Aquilani. That adds up to £80million. What about the money that we raked in for Javier Mascherano, money that was badly needed, and its beginning to show. FSG didn’t need to invest with a nice lump sum of £50million to play around with courtesy of Chelsea, but now, when they need to, are they doing so? Early signs suggest no, but time will tell.

Agents are probably the biggest cause of pushing players out of a club, thus putting the wheels in motion, if they weren’t pushed out, they wouldn’t need to be replaced? Agents have been notorious for their selfishness and in this day and age, very few will want a player to stay at a club like Liverpool because of its history, or loyalty, money talks. Aquilani’s agent is famous for his chit-chat and he played a part in the saga.

We can stop this…

With players like Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and a string of others being linked away with the club, it begs the question, are we actually becoming a selling club? If so, it’s a serious problem, we are not a club who can sell the likes of Agger and attract someone of his ability never mind pay the fee for the player. In my opinion, we also need to stand our ground, the Sigurdsson deal is the perfect example, refusing to pay average players the money they or their agents are demanding and standing firm on transfer fees. Blend this with a little bit of investment for those that are worth those extravagant fees, and we will be on the mend. We cannot afford to sell Agger.  Ability wise; Sebastian Coates, Martin Kelly or Daniel Wilson cannot replace him, yet. A player of his stature would not join Liverpool, nor would we pay for them, so it is crucial to hang on to what we have.

I shall leave you with this thought in mind

Reina

Enrique Skrtel Agger Johnson

Mashcerano/Lucas

Gerrard Alonso

Suarez Torres Borini

Leave your emotions out of it and process that team, something we once could have had with a little bit more ‘glass half full’ attitude

Ramirez for me .

Massive potential alright, and capable of using either wide position as well as the CAM slot.

I think he is a more highly skilled player than Sigurdsson for example, but I think Sigurdsson is a much more consistent player atm. Think I said something similar before Sigurdsson made his move to Spurs.

One thing about Ramirez that I have thought is that he needs a certain calibre of player around him otherwise he will appear to be passing quicker than the surrounding players can anticipate. Before we signed Borini and Allen I would have been a bit worried about signing the likes of Ramirez and putting him in with the squad we had then, epscially the attacking and midfield options.

But now we have Saurez and Borini as two of our front three. Throw in Gerrard for the CAM and maybe to wide right slot for whatever amount of games he plays. Throw in Lucas, and add a passer like Allen and suddenly Ramirez looks to have the kind of options a quick thinking (and quick footed) footballer might flourish amongst.

I can still think of a number of players that would be better than Ramirez imho of course or who would be at least on his level right now, but we now look to have at least five first team players that a player like Ramirez could compliment.

• Advertisement

Massive potential alright, and capable of using either wide position as well as the CAM slot.

I think he is a more highly skilled player than Sigurdsson for example, but I think Sigurdsson is a much more consistent player atm. Think I said something similar before Sigurdsson made his move to Spurs.

One thing about Ramirez that I have thought is that he needs a certain calibre of player around him otherwise he will appear to be passing quicker than the surrounding players can anticipate. Before we signed Borini and Allen I would have been a bit worried about signing the likes of Ramirez and putting him in with the squad we had then, epscially the attacking and midfield options.

But now we have Saurez and Borini as two of our front three. Throw in Gerrard for the CAM and maybe to wide right slot for whatever amount of games he plays. Throw in Lucas, and add a passer like Allen and suddenly Ramirez looks to have the kind of options a quick thinking (and quick footed) footballer might flourish amongst.

I can still think of a number of players that would be better than Ramirez imho of course or who would be at least on his level right now, but we now look to have at least five first team players that a player like Ramirez could compliment.

Exactly and IMO you are kinda getting 2-for1 with Ramirez.

Yes he is your typical winger but would also be very versatile during a game to switch things up or cover if someone's goes off injured.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Chris Sutton and Dion Dublin... never say never!

Or the original of the species (well first I remember) Paul Warhurst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The questions are all the same, so tedious.
    Do you think Liverpool is amazing.
    Are you overawed about playing for Liverpool.
    Do you think Liverpool are amazing.
    How amazing is it that you are now a Liverpool player.

Do you wake up in the morning amazed, at how amazing it feels to be amazed
    And do you find that amazing, as amazing as you find it playing for this amazing club,?

''I'm amazed constantly, at the history, the fans and the price they paid for me, most amazing''

What do you find most amazing about playing for liverpool
    Is it the amazing fans, the amazing history or the amazing weather,?

'The fans are amazing, The city is amazing, The liverpool sign is still bent,
    I find that amazing also,''

When you fist heard of the amazing opportunity how did you feel

'' i was amazed''

Thank you Joe for this amazing insight,and message for the fans

''You're amazing ,And i think this season will be good, But not amazing
    Amazing takes time you might be amazed to find out'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Do you wake up in the morning amazed, at how amazing it feels to be amazed
    And do you find that amazing, as amazing as you find it playing for this amazing club,?

''I'm amazed constantly, at the history, the fans and the price they paid for me, most amazing''

What do you find most amazing about playing for liverpool
    Is it the amazing fans, the amazing history or the amazing weather,?

'The fans are amazing, The city is amazing, The liverpool sign is still bent,
    I find that amazing also,''

When you fist heard of the amazing opportunity how did you feel

'' i was amazed''

Thank you Joe for this amazing insight,and message for the fans

''You're amazing ,And i think this season will be good, But not amazing
    Amazing takes time you might be amazed to find out'

Exactly and IMO you are kinda getting 2-for1 with Ramirez.

Yes he is your typical winger but would also be very versatile during a game to switch things up or cover if someone's goes off injured.

The thing about Ramirez is that he is not a typical winger but I can easily see how he could be taken as one. He is CAM who can play on the wing and can be used there as he develops as a player.

At Bologna he has probably played as many games as a CAM as he has as a winger with him and Diamanti sharing the CAM role. But Bologna do not have a lot of quality on both flanks, so Ramirez covers there for them as he has decent pace and plenty of skill to play in the wide forward style rather than the style of a traditional winger.

With Uruguay it is similar as where he plays depends on who is or is not available in that team, but he has probably played as many games in a central role as he has in a wider one.

I think if we got him that people should expect an Arda Turan style wide man rather than a Robben type that can skin players on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

5starpool wrote: »
    Or the original of the species (well first I remember) Paul Warhurst.

And let's not forget the mighty Gary Doherty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Don't worry Andy. They won't be asking you those questions in the future. Pretty soon you will be back in geordie land drinking brown ale and watching repeats of Jossies Giants.....Lolz :D

Lol that is a world class reference. So the plan at this point is:

Sign Ramirez
    Sign Dempsey
    Sell Adam and Spearing
    Keep Agger

As the meerkat would say, simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Looking forward to tomorrows game.
    I wonder what kind of team BR will put out. I assume Allen will get a cameo at some point. Roll on the 1st league game :D

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/molby-allen-can-be-the-catalyst

''
    "He can definitely rise to the challenge otherwise Rodgers would not have signed him. No disrespect to Swansea, but Allen is now playing at a bigger club with bigger players and Brendan feels he can step up.
    "I think he's got the ability to become a top class player in the years to come. I think that's why we signed him."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Milkers wrote: »
    Lol that is a world class reference. So the plan at this point is:

Sign Ramirez
    Sign Dempsey
    Sell Adam and Spearing
    Keep Agger

As the meerkat would say, simples.

You forgot "Sell Cole"....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    You forgot "Sell Cole"....

If only it were that easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

I've read before that Joe Cole smokes. Does anyone know if it's true or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Ape X wrote: »
    I've read before that Joe Cole smokes. Does anyone know if it's true or not?

I think you misheard. When Chelsea sold him to us, it was known as the "Joe Cole hoax"....

Joe cole is full of it !!!!!!!!!!!
    FAKING INJURY UNTIL THE TRANSFER WINDOWS CLOSES

'' O I FEEL A PULL IN MY HAMSTRING , BOO FECKING WHOOOOO''

He's be fine one windows closes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

"When Brendan got the Liverpool job he phoned me straight away on his first day," Bellamy told Cardiff's official website. "I felt honoured that he did that and he told me that he wanted me as part of his team.
    "But my mind was made up. I wanted to come home. He gave me time to change my mind, but it wasn't going to happen.''

Did Joey Jo Joe, Get that call?????
    I think not!!!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Joe cole is full of it !!!!!!!!!!!
    FAKING INJURY UNTIL THE TRANSFER WINDOWS CLOSES

'' O I FEEL A PULL IN MY HAMSTRING , BOO FECKING WHOOOOO''

He's be fine one windows closes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
    Get over it.

Get over it.

Every ten weeks he has another million in his bank account from LFC
    And for what i ask,,,,

I'll try get over it, ,,,,,,,,,,,,, But its not easy ,,,,,,,:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Every ten weeks he has another million in his bank account from LFC
    And for what i ask,,,,

I'll try get over it, ,,,,,,,,,,,,, But its not easy ,,,,,,,:pac:

Its not a million in his bank account really :rolleyes: It's five hundred thousand you forgot about the 50% tax on footballers wages ;):D that makes it a bit easier lol

This is why we need to cash in on Carroll ..
    @Richard_Buxton_: Hyypia still good value three years after leaving #LFC. When asked which striker he'd prefer to face in a game he said Carroll over Suarez.

Sami's word/opinion is Gospel . Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I liked this from BR.
    "He is a unique player in that he is a British player who doesn't give the ball away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

:pac:

tumblr_m8j596nMMO1qawzzgo1_500.jpg

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

^
    Christ! :pac:

Will Allen play tomorrow?

I get a real brokeback vibe off BR and Allen. Maybe that can be this season's scandal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

opr wrote: »

Opr

where is that from :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Opr
    What was Allen thinking :pac:

naughtb4 wrote: »
    where is that from :D

My nightmares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Someone mentioned it yesterday, but there is a real drunken Uncle look to Rodger in most of his pictures with players :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think if we got him that people should expect an Arda Turan style wide man rather than a Robben type that can skin players on the wing.

Can we not just sign Arda? :(

Opr

aa1e1d3d_chavs.jpg

Knex. wrote: »
    Can we not just sign Arda? :(

You mean sign a guy who has been talking for the past five or so seasons about how playing for Liverpool is his dream?

One of his first interviews after his move to Spain had the interviewer asking him if moving from Turkey to Spain was the footballing equivalent of a dream come true. Turan answered that it was really good, but his dream is to one day play for Liverpool. Thought it was a really good way to get onto the bad side of the supporters straight away. :D

Luckily for him he pretty much hit the ground running on the pitch and settled in quickly. His work rate coupled with his skill seemed to silence any early critics.

He finished his first full season with 5 goals,10 assists and a winners medal from the Europa league so he made the step up from Turkey to Spain handlly enough.

A front three made up of Turan on the left, Borini in the centre, and Suarez on the right would have a stupidly high workrate. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭atilladehun

You mean sign a guy who has been talking for the past five or so seasons about how playing for Liverpool is his dream?

One of his first interviews after his move to Spain had the interviewer asking him if moving from Turkey to Spain was the footballing equivalent of a dream come true. Turan answered that it was really good, but his dream is to one day play for Liverpool. Thought it was a really good way to get onto the bad side of the supporters straight away. :D

Luckily for him he pretty much hit the ground running on the pitch and settled in quickly. His work rate coupled with his skill seemed to silence any early critics.

He finished his first full season with 5 goals,10 assists and a winners medal from the Europa league so he made the step up from Turkey to Spain handlly enough.

A front three made up of Turan on the left, Borini in the centre, and Suarez on the right would have a stupidly high workrate. :D

Has anyone mentioned this to Brendan? I'd say he has been busy the last couple of months and it could have slipped him by.

What do you reckon is the best way to tell him? Phone? Email? Skywriter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Has anyone mentioned this to Brendan? I'd say he has been busy the last couple of months and it could have slipped him by.

It seems the quickest way to get a message to him would be by writing it on Joe Allen's arse.

Player who in theory would seem perfect who I haven't seen linked with us at all is Georginio Wijnaldum. Can play across a number of the front positions but seems to favour the right hand side or the CAM position which is exactly what we need. Dynamic, direct, pacy, skillful, gets plenty of goals, would be available quite cheaply with modest enough wages. Of course the only club I've seen remotely linked to him is Newcastle :(

Funny enough I was asking someone about him the other day and they said Rafa tried to buy him as a youth. Did a google and reports suggest we had an interest in him during the summer Rafa left.

Opr

I get a real brokeback vibe off BR and Allen. Maybe that can be this season's scandal.

I'm sure Paully D has the lowdown on it as we speak...

Courier pigeon. It's how the club does all it's business. :D

567569-homing-pigeons.jpg

I also have an exclusive picture which shows that Man City are also moving into the pigeon market.

courier_pigeon-t1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Ha ha, how long have you been waiting for an opportunity to use that pic? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

I'm being told Andy Carroll is out in Bray with the reserves. Some kick to the balls for him.

budgemook wrote: »
    I'm being told Andy Carroll is out in Bray with the reserves. Some kick to the balls for him.

Are these random twitter reports or someone you know who's reliable?

Opr

Player who in theory would seem perfect who I haven't seen linked with us at all is Georginio Wijnaldum. Can play across a number of the front positions but seems to favour the right hand side or the CAM position which is exactly what we need. Dynamic, direct, pacy, skillful, gets plenty of goals, would be available quite cheaply with modest enough wages. Of course the only club I've seen remotely linked to him is Newcastle :(

Funny enough I was asking someone about him the other day and they said Rafa tried to buy him as a youth. Did a google and reports suggest we had an interest in him during the summer Rafa left.

Opr

We were linked to him a number of times afaik. Under Rafa, under Hodgson (probably wanted him to play LB or something), and there was a mention of him during the window in which Suarez was signed. He was got for a crazily low price last summer of somewhere around the €4m- €5m mark.

He was very good when played in the AM role last season for PSV. Seems to have a real eye for a killer pass in the final third.

Big things are expected of him this year for PSV along with Strootman and Mertens. Crazy that all three combined cost under €20m last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

slingerz wrote: »
    I reckon loan signings like Adam Johnson or even Adebayor could be possible. Would hope there'd be interest in Dzecko too once Coty get realistic bout his price

and then we woke up....

budgemook wrote: »

Nah the squad filler players need game time to get fit as well.:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement