Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Wage spend equates to success with few exceptions though, and in any case - even if they are half the battle - a deal like Joe Allen still indicates that we're getting Transfer Fees wrong.

The downward trend is not being stemmed by this window anyway is unfortunately the point.

I dont disagree at all. I sat here and listened to Werner on LFC.TV talk about increasing wages, not lowering them, and they haven't followed up on it.

But the point i made was isolated really. Its not about the fee anymore, wages have got so out of control that we have to factor them in to determine true value of the deal. You know those eegits you can find about the place?, the ones who say you could have got Aguero for the money you spent on Carroll?....the ones that think 25m more in wages over the length of the contracts doesnt count?, those are the eegits im talking about. Fee's in isolation mean jack these days.

I dont think Allen/Borini etc will propel us into 4th, not by a long shot. Am i happy we spent 15m on Allen? no, does he deserve that wage in comparison to whats around?, absolutely. So the deal overall will probably cost 10m less than what was agreed over Aquilani back in the day.........with the added disclaimer that i knew long before he signed that he was a 'puddin' whereas Allen can improve, i believe he has ambition and his manager knows him well. As far as on the pitch goes im not that unhappy, off the pitch i dont believe these owners have a clue, you know i said this a good few times. There is also the notion that players on reasonable wages are easier to shift on and that if they play well there is a carrot of increased wages like Suarez got.

I believe they are basically trying to emulate Arsenal right now. John Henry has already stated his admiration for them. The issue for fans is, Arsenal havent won a sausage lately and the only truly happy people there are the ones who own shares.

I will be fully behind the team but the 'swingometer' reading on the owners took a massive jolt the other way in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Or an argument that:

NO BRITISH PLAYERS

is how to not get bent over in the transfer market

I would not go along with no British players. I would go along with no British players if an equally talented non British player is available for less money.I simply don't buy into the mentality that place of birth should add more to a price than actual ability.

If you are British and your price (transfer fee and wages) is less than than or equal to the same level non British player, then fine.

If you are British and you are going to cost twice as much as a non British player with the same talent then you can eff off.

A brief conversation from earlier in this thread today really hammers that point home for me.

Downing last summer cost us £20m or €25m. During the same window, PSV bought Wijnaldum, Strootman, and Mertens for a combined fee of €18m. Nobody can convince me that Downing was better value than those three. So in instances like that I say no to British, but a blanket no risks cutting off our nose to spite our face.

I would lean towards non British players more often that not as I think that not only do they offer better value in financial terms, they also can offer better value in terms of skillset and mastery of the basics of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fine!

If our fanbase is calling for a manager's head the year we win our first trophy in six years I think they'll be calling for Rodger's head if we're out of the CL race before March 01.

That may well happen. I don't think it will this time (save for an utter disaster in the league), but it is a possibility and one that you may be able to point to in six or so months and say "told ya"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

daithijjj wrote: »
    There is also the notion that players on reasonable wages are easier to shift on and that if they play well there is a carrot of increased wages like Suarez got.

This is a really really good point. Joe Allen no matter what happens at Liverpool because of his relatively low wages and age will have huge resale value. Reading people taking about comparing the deal Arsenal did for Cazorla is retarded.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I dont disagree at all. I sat here and listened to Werner on LFC.TV talk about increasing wages, not lowering them, and they haven't followed up on it.

But the point i made was isolated really. Its not about the fee anymore, wages have got so out of control that we have to factor them in to determine true value of the deal. You know those eegits you can find about the place?, the ones who say you could have got Aguero for the money you spent on Carroll?....the ones that think 25m more in wages over the length of the contracts doesnt count?, those are the eegits im talking about. Fee's in isolation mean jack these days.

I dont think Allen/Borini etc will propel us into 4th, not by a long shot. Am i happy we spent 15m on Allen? no, does he deserve that wage in comparison to whats around?, absolutely. So the deal overall will probably cost 10m less than what was agreed over Aquilani back in the day.........with the added disclaimer that i knew long before he signed that he was a 'puddin' whereas Allen can improve, i believe he has ambition and his manager knows him well. As far as on the pitch goes im not that unhappy, off the pitch i dont believe these owners have a clue, you know i said this a good few times. There is also the notion that players on reasonable wages are easier to shift on and that if they play well there is a carrot of increased wages like Suarez got.

I believe they are basically trying to emulate Arsenal right now. John Henry has already stated his admiration for them. The issue for fans is, Arsenal havent won a sausage lately and the only truly happy people there are the ones who own shares.

I will be fully behind the team but the 'swingometer' reading on the owners took a massive jolt the other way in May.

That's where I am too.

The summer of 2010 was incredibly upsetting, but there was a sense of a fix being available - that the ownership of the club could be changed and that could get us going forwards again. This summer is worse for - while I appreciate the fact the club does not have administration hanging over its head - our decline seems more terminal than it has at any point since 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's where I am too.

The summer of 2010 was incredibly upsetting, but there was a sense of a fix being available - that the ownership of the club could be changed and that could get us going forwards again. This summer is worse for - while I appreciate the fact the club does not have administration hanging over its head - our decline seems more terminal than it has at any point since 2009.

I don't have a totally negative state of mind, but I'm disappointed that at the moment we're basically relying on everything Rodgers touches turning to gold, rather than proper backing. Everything may work out - I really like the man - but, when FSG came in and said all the right things, they set an expectation that we would be moving forward with purposeful strides. We haven't seen this.

As I said, it's not all doom and gloom, we have a new manager with great potential who is placing his trust in 2 players he knows inside out, but to get to where we want/need to be, Rodgers essentially has to be the next Alex Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I don't have a totally negative state of mind, but I'm disappointed that at the moment we're basically relying on everything Rodgers touches turning to gold, rather than proper backing. Everything may work out - I really like the man - but, when FSG came in and said all the right things, they set an expectation that we would be moving forward with purposeful strides. We haven't seen this.

As I said, it's not all doom and gloom, we have a new manager with great potential who is placing his trust in 2 players he knows inside out, but to get to where we want/need to be, Rodgers essentially has to be the next Alex Ferguson.

This is it for me, with the exception that Alex Ferguson was given mammoth money (relatively speaking) from which to launch his success. He basically needs to be a hybrid of Ferguson & Wenger. No problem! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Of course, Ferguson was given lots of time as well...

Ape X wrote: »
    Of course, Ferguson was given lots of time as well...

It's safe to say the majority of our fanbase don't do that anyway.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Would you give Rodgers time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Should Roy have been given time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Evans? He got plenty of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You have to love the random United fan stickin his snout in about prices paid. It tends to be a bit less obvious when you have cover and werent neglected as a squad for 3 years. Where is that midfield colossus Anderson these days?, how much was spunked on him?........managers take punts, some get longer to realise the potential they bought, some dont.

Im sure id be met with welcoming arms if i stuck my snout into the United thread and started spouting about the money splashed on De Gea (savagely over rated imo). But.......im not a complete tool like some who reside around these forums because sometimes you spend more based on the length of future they have and the amount of wages they get.

How many more fkin retards do i have to read posting about transfer fees before it sinks into their thick nuggets that xfer fees are only half the issue and wages are ever more important?.

Ashley Young is on 40k per week more than Borini and Allen put together. Lots of those new Liverpool players are on miserly wages compared to some of their peers ........but still folk bang on about xfer fee's.....why?..........its retarded.

You talking about me? If you are, you need to get the fúck over yourself. I didn't say anything unreasonable about the Allen transfer.

So you can think of some criticisms of Ferguson's transfer dealings can you? Big swinging mickey. So can anybody who is half clued in. That's no reason for a United fan to hold back on expressing an opinion on an exciting and controversial new signing like the Allen one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Pro. F wrote: »
    You talking about me? If you are, you need to get the fúck over yourself. I didn't say anything unreasonable about the Allen transfer.

So you can think of some criticisms of Ferguson's transfer dealings can you? Big swinging mickey. So can anybody who is half clued in. That's no reason for a United fan to hold back on expressing an opinion on an exciting and controversial new signing like the Allen one.

He's not talking about you.

• Advertisement

No, but Benitez and Dalglish should have been given longer. This is a recurring issue ITT because some of the people trumpeting the 'oh he should be given loads of time and patience' line with respect to Rodgers were vociferously arguing for the removal of Benitez, Hodgson and Dalglish during their last months.

The fan base is not patient. It will not be patient with Rodgers either. Let's admit where we are and avoid trotting out cliches that are rendered irrelevant by the actual behaviour exhibited over the past three years.

Rodgers needs to win lots of football matches this season. Let's hope he does. If he doesn't he won't survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Pro. F I'm pretty sure he was talking to someone else posting in the thread.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He's not talking about you.
    opr wrote: »
    Pro. F I'm pretty sure he was talking to someone else posting in the thread.

Opr

Ah okay. Never mind so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Why would West Ham offer £6m for Joe Cole when we are probably dying to get rid of him.
    They probably expect us to pay them £6m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Pro. F wrote: »

Im not, so get the fu*k over yourself :cool:

• Advertisement

Yep

Yep
    Good man. I fear for Rodgers meself, mainly because I now think FSG are too wishy-washy to stand by their claims that this is not a short-term appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Yep

I hope Rodgers is given time but going by some posters in here, hes already fighting an up hill battle. Some of these posters dont even realise how hypocritical they are in terms of declaring their anger at the lack of time Benitez and Dalglish were given yet use EVERYTHING they possibly can to beat Rodgers with.

At one stage this specific poster even used Aquilani leaving as a negative on Rodgers. Im mean ffs.

Rodgers has managed two competitive games, Allen hasnt even kicked a ball yet its all rabble rabble rabble.

Just for the record I wanted Dalglish to be given more time, but the way some posters tend to completley ignore his absolute ****ing disaster in the transfer market yet they give out bangs about Rodgers signing Allen for 15 million, well its bizzare.

Honestly I read their posts now and im actually wondering are they posting some of this stuff with their tongue placed firmly in their cheek.

Rodgers has a hell of a tough opening few games and I just hope fans give him time. I mean, barring a complete disaster where we are battling relegation Rodgers needs years not months to fix us.

Good man. I fear for Rodgers meself, mainly because I now think FSG are too wishy-washy to stand by their claims that this is not a short-term appointment.

Short term because they intend to sell?
    If they were interested in success they could have picked up the phone and called Rafael Benitez.

Short term because they intend to sell?
    If they were interested in success they could have picked up the phone and called Rafael Benitez.
    The idea of them selling has crossed my mind, but I'm referring here to my opinion that they'll ditch Rodgers as soon as enough fans start complaining.

So he is a fall guy?

So he is a fall guy?

the_fall_guy-show.jpg
    Loved that show!

Really, I think FSG will try to keep him. They've paid out on 2 manager sackings, and I just can't see them doing it again, unless they're prompted by a big fan backlash.

So he is a fall guy?
    If the fans aren't happy, yes.
    the_fall_guy-show.jpg
    Loved that show!

Really, I think FSG will try to keep him. They've paid out on 2 manager sackings, and I just can't see them doing it again, unless they're prompted by a big fan backlash.
    Me too. In fact, I think Jody was my first crush!

I'm not saying FSG will sack Rodgers regardless. But if there's a string of bad results, and as you say there's a fan backlash, then I can't see them saying "Hang on, we hired Brendan for the long-term, so let's give him more time".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ultimately the money aspect of getting players in is being vastly overrated by the average fan imo. Teams get the players they want, money should only come into it in extreme situations where it is consistently happening ala Villa 2 or 3 years ago where the money on wages/transfers is a toxic drain on the club. You think anyone would care how much Downing cost last year if he got 10 goals and 20 assists last season? I doubt it. Fans should look at transfers in terms of what they could have gotten instead of the player they did get, rather than how many packets of MnMs the club could have theoretically gotten. Teams have budgets, they are going to spend them how they please. If the transfers improve the team at high level clubs that can be worth a lot more these days than paying 4 or 5m extra on transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Fine!

If our fanbase is calling for a manager's head the year we win our first trophy in six years I think they'll be calling for Rodger's head if we're out of the CL race before March 01.

The league form collapsed in the second half of the season. Talking about cup finals doesn't make up for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ush wrote: »
    The league form collapsed in the second half of the season. Talking about cup finals doesn't make up for that.

But there's a fairly handy narrative being pushed by the likes of Lloyd that Dalglish planned the league collapse, because he was concentrating on getting to the cup finals Lloyd holds so dear.

Well, not so much planned, more that it's ok to have near relegation form from January to May if you win the tin-pot on penalties against a club from the league below, and get beaten in the FA Cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

No, but Benitez and Dalglish should have been given longer. This is a recurring issue ITT because some of the people trumpeting the 'oh he should be given loads of time and patience' line with respect to Rodgers were vociferously arguing for the removal of Benitez, Hodgson and Dalglish during their last months.

The fan base is not patient. It will not be patient with Rodgers either. Let's admit where we are and avoid trotting out cliches that are rendered irrelevant by the actual behaviour exhibited over the past three years.

Rodgers needs to win lots of football matches this season. Let's hope he does. If he doesn't he won't survive.

think benitez got long enough my self probaly a season too long.

agree on the dalglish and hodgson, even though i dont think they were up to the task.

oh, and lets not get hung up on the term "tin-pot" ok?

The league cup is a tin-pot competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

M'Vila looks Spurs bound for .......

.....12million :o

Leiva wrote: »

Yep, it's London.

And you'd have to think that if he was looking at moving to the Northwest of England, there's another team who need a player like him, in a better position to sign him.

12m though, a steal.

koppy wrote: »
    think benitez got long enough my self probaly a season too long.

A season too long. So we should have fired him summer 2009 then? Awesome.

joe123 wrote: »
    I hope Rodgers is given time but going by some posters in here, hes already fighting an up hill battle. Some of these posters dont even realise how hypocritical they are in terms of declaring their anger at the lack of time Benitez and Dalglish were given yet use EVERYTHING they possibly can to beat Rodgers with.

At one stage this specific poster even used Aquilani leaving as a negative on Rodgers. Im mean ffs.

Rodgers has managed two competitive games, Allen hasnt even kicked a ball yet its all rabble rabble rabble.

Just for the record I wanted Dalglish to be given more time, but the way some posters tend to completley ignore his absolute ****ing disaster in the transfer market yet they give out bangs about Rodgers signing Allen for 15 million, well its bizzare.

Honestly I read their posts now and im actually wondering are they posting some of this stuff with their tongue placed firmly in their cheek.

Rodgers has a hell of a tough opening few games and I just hope fans give him time. I mean, barring a complete disaster where we are battling relegation Rodgers needs years not months to fix us.

I WAS GIVING OUT "BANGS" ABOUT WHAT WE WERE DOING IN THE TRANSFER MARKET IN HERE LAST SUMMER. I GOT SLATED FOR BEING "TOO NEGATIVE" AT THE TIME TOO.

Leiva wrote: »

Fucking fuck.

Caps Lock is out, he means business :D

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    But there's a fairly handy narrative being pushed by the likes of Lloyd that Dalglish planned the league collapse, because he was concentrating on getting to the cup finals Lloyd holds so dear.

Well, not so much planned, more that it's ok to have near relegation form from January to May if you win the tin-pot on penalties against a club from the league below, and get beaten in the FA Cup final.

There's also a handy narrative that the League Cup was won 'on penalties against a championship club' that ignores the previous rounds in order to belittle the achievement as meaningless. But you'd never engage in such things, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Fucking fuck.

Who are you telling . Nothing like a bit of perspective on a Sunday morning :o

There's also a handy narrative that the League Cup was won 'on penalties against a championship club' that ignores the previous rounds in order to belittle the achievement as meaningless. But you'd never engage in such things, right?

Winning the League Cup doesn't need to be belittled by me any more than it already is as meaningless, only the desperate place any meaning in it in the first place (that includes United btw).

Random snapshot from last summer's thread:
    WOW, that came out of nowhere, funny enough there was a few stories to expect something on Monday or Tuesday so not far out.

I'm chuffed, we've got our man and consistent supply to Carroll.
    Delighted with the signing of downing, just what we need. We are still short a couple, but we are defo moving in the right direction.
    Downing may not seem like an exciting signing but I think he will be a very important one
    As an outsider I think Downing is a very good signing for Liverpool
    happy with this he'll get right into the starting 11 id say as long as andy is starting and i do beleive thats a huge reason for the transfer
    Your getting a very good and consistant player in Downing. A man who can play as a proper winger and get crosses in that Caroll will love aswell as aplayer who is capable of rotating into different positions. He's is also a likeable lad and someone who will not kick up a fuss if rotated (onto the bench this time) imo which could be important with Liverpool building a squad not just a first 11.
    A player that can play on the left and right at a high level and nobody else can do that bar Maxi, I can see why we splashed out.
    Happy with this transfer, gives us natural width which haven't had in quite a while with a consistent, reliable player who will create chances, now its up to the front players to put them away!

Also Villa get a decent price for one of their better players and hopefully all that crap that went with Barry can be put where it belongs in the past, this deal seems to have been done the best way, behind closed doors and with respect. Now a left back and we'll have had a decent summer spending wise
    Delighted we got Downing.
    Him and Adam should notch up the assists for Andy Carroll
    Villa paid 12m for Downing & he is a far better player now than he was 2 years ago. He was their player of the year last year & is entering his peak at 27. We should get his best years. Id value him at 15 / 16 m, if we've paid about 20 then it probably is a bit 2 much but hell when he's swingin in balls on top of A.C who'll care!
    Another bonus of having the likes of Downing,Adam and Henderson is now there isn't as much pressure on Gerrard to be the main creative force behind the team.

In fact his position in the team is far from assured now there are options besides him and about time too..been sick of depending on 1 or 2 players to perform going forward for the last few years, now we have options and quite a number, this will keep opposition managers guessing as to what will line up against them when everyone is fit!
    I'm pretty happy with this signing. I made myself come to terms with the price a week or two ago so now I'm just happy we have a quality wideman at the club for the first time in years.

Whatever about his crosses, which I'm sure Carroll, Kuyt etc will enjoy, I think the fact that we have a player who can help us stretch the game and provide width is crucial for us.

Also, Downing isn't as slow as people say he is. Granted he doesn't have Walcott like pace but in fairness he's no slouch.

Our squad is starting to shape up a bit!
    Do i expect next season to be our season , short answer no, we still need more rebuilding but i got this feeling we will finish in top 4.
    Not the player I hoped we would sign for the left side, but I am in no way unhappy with getting Downing. He is more than good enough to go straight into the first team and I don't think there is any doubt that he improves the first team.

Once he is bought, the price issue goes out the window for me, same as with Carroll, Henderson etc., as all that will matter from then is how the players perform on the pitch once the season starts.
    Something that I think is important to note, with the likes of Henderson, Adam & Downing, we appear to be getting our first choice players-even if we have to arguably overpay for them somewhat. Contrast that to the conditions we were operating under with G&H and it makes a refreshing change.
    Have to say I think Downing will be a good signing. Though only 12 months ago, I had high hopes for a certain Joe Cole as well. Downing is dependable, works hard, keeps the head up and right now is exactly what we need - width. Price tag is a bit much, but I've made my thoughts on that one clear enough. FSG are no mugs, and I'm sure there is a plan.

Welcome to LFC Stuart YNWA
    great signing is downing now we need to get rid of a few plus get a left back in.
    we unfortunately won't generate much funds from the players we need shot of but at least the wage bill will be reduced.
    once again another show of intent by the owners that they will put there money where there mouth is
    downing's gonna be a great servant for LFC. think the squad is starting to look like potential top four material, although i wouldn't be surprised if Kenny has his sights set a bit higher.
    Downing should be a good signing I reckon. He's a 'low-risk' player in many ways - maybe not as exciting or flashy as other options but I see no way in which he will flop. He will definitely offer something to the team - how much and whether it's £20m worth is another question.

But I'm happy - looking at those stats it looks like he is a player who could win us a lot of points over the course of the season, and of course he's something we don't have and haven't had since Riera left.

Top quality left-back and the dross off the wage-bill is all I would ask for now. You would have to say that's been a very productive summer. Anything else would be a bonus.
    Very very good signing, extremely happy about it and one that should go straight into the starting 11. He wouldn't have been my first choice as I, like many others here, have been fantasising about Mata marauding along the front three, interchanging with Suarez more often than a chameleon changes colours.

What Downing offers is exceptional consistency, a great work ethic and a damn fine crosser of the ball, which should bring out the best from Carroll.

Adam, Downing, Carroll and Suarez will definitely bring out the best in each other and I've no doubt in my mind that we can challenge for the title top four spot.

If Aquilani stays then he will become like a new signing. He was simply marvelous against the Chinese (great bunch of lads) team today. Granted they weren't the best opposition, but you can only play what is put in front of you. He was passing the ball around like he owned it, keeping the ball moving, setting the tempo. We need game changers like him, someone who can slot a through ball past the blockade of players holding out for a draw.

We've the bones and of a good squad now. Get rid of the deadwood and splinter-in-arse-players that will never play for us and fill those positions with quality, then we'd have the makings of an excellent first team and subs.
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Sincerely hope I'm wrong. Very concerned about our transfer window thus far. :(
    Theres just no pleasing some people
    Think you are wrong Lloyd, not saying "OMG You're so wrong" I can understand your trepidation, but I think our squad and 1st team is really coming together. Time will tell of course but I for one am pretty excited.
    Lloyd, I've noticed you've been very negative so far, but you haven't fully explained why?

Surely you'd agree that Downing improves our squad this year? Yes, he's pricey, but I think he's well under-estimated and I think he could be just what we need.

Also doubts about Adam. Don't understand it myself. We got him at a great price, and even today he showed a bit of what he can do. I think he could go on to prove himself a real bargain.

Henderson: I have to admit I know little about him, but I've read only positive things about him and also PaullyD who posts here has been saying that we have gotten a great player.

Also, window is not closed yet, still plenty more to happen, so I don't know why people are being so down.

The ability of people to be optimistic time after time is frightening really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Equally true of the pessimistic posters;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Lloyd my old chum. Still waiting on a reply re. Rooney and Hart. And also on the topic of Allen and Borini being an improvement on maxi,kuyt and Aurelio. When you're ready of course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

If rodgers gets us champs league football at the end of this season,up against three of the biggest spenders in world football..and arsenal and spurs , it will be remarkable..

This is where we are at as a club right now.. not in the top four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lloyd indulging in vanity searching now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

When you say random, do you mean you picked out the ones you wanted?

From the quotes you have provided, it's fair to say that people were happy with Downing. Although I would say at the time a lot of people thought we paid a lot for him but at the very least he should be a decent signing.

Now while people could have their concerns (like many did and you did) I don't think anyone could have predicted how poorly Downing was going to be!

Personally, this window has been disappointing so far but not because of the players we have brought in. I'm quite happy with Borini and Allen and I'm sure both will go straight into the first team. We have sold/let go of a good few players who would have got some first team action in Kuyt, Bellamy, Maxi... who will need to be replaced with at least 1 signing and preferably 2.

So you will see from my other posts that I am quite concerned with our transfers too, especially since the season starts next week but I'm hoping that this isn't the end of our window.

If it is we go into the season with a better starting team but a worse squad imo.

Melion wrote: »
    Lloyd my old chum. Still waiting on a reply re. Rooney and Hart. And also on the topic of Allen and Borini being an improvement on maxi,kuyt and Aurelio. When you're ready of course

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

A season too long. So we should have fired him summer 2009 then? Awesome.

yep 2009 was his time to go.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement