Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

It looks like Yann M'Vila is going to Spurs for €12m.
    Now that would be a bargain if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

One of the main concerns the new owners had was the size of the squad. We had loads of bit-part players. Removing Kuyt, Maxi and Bellamy is part of that clean up. At a wild guess, we are buying one for every 2 we are selling on. Downing was poor last season but he needs another. Lucas suffered the same fate.

As for the team, I will wait until after the first 5 premiership games, judge the performances and then make up my mind about the season ahead. We need to get to CL football just to attract talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

koppy wrote: »
    yep 2009 was his time to go.

So after we'd just finished second in the league, he should have been sacked? Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Damien360 wrote: »
    Downing was poor last season but he needs another. Lucas suffered the same fate.
    What??

amiable wrote: »

And would really highlight how lol the Joe Allen deal is unfortunately. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

yep 2009 was his time to go.

Mind boggingly stupid post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

As for the team, I will wait until after the first 5 premiership games, judge the performances and then make up my mind about the season ahead. We need to get to CL football just to attract talent.

I just looked up the first 5 games. Jesus they are tough

liverpool.jpg

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

NO BRITISH PLAYERS, would you not like Rooney up front for us? What about Hart to replace Pepe who you no longer rate?

Our squad, is it weaker having replaced Kuyt, Bellamy and Maxi with Borini, Allen and Sterling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

mike65 wrote: »
    Lloyd indulging in vanity searching now.

Not for the first time -

and he still hasnt explained how pool have been lumbered with probably the worst Brazilian in history ( well, after Rafaels showing yesterday, maybe second worse)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

john47832 wrote: »
    Not for the first time -

and he still hasnt explained how pool have been lumbered with probably the worst Brazilian in history ( well, after Rafaels showing yesterday, maybe second worse)

Who`s that?:confused:

• Advertisement

Who`s that?:confused:

Jose Coleinho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

To be fair, quite a few of us on here, including yourself, have been saying that we thought that M'Vila was gettable this summer at a similar price or less to what was being quoted for Allen.

I think that people who primarily follow the Premiership and maybe La Liga don't quite grasp the kind of prices that quality players move for in France, Belgium, Holland, Turkey etc. The market is not generally as inflated in those countries with average players moving for smaller amounts and the larger amounts (in terms of what is seen as large in those countries) being reserved for genuine quality.

M'Vila for anything between 12m and 15m is no surprise tbh.

Melion wrote: »
    NO BRITISH PLAYERS, would you not like Rooney up front for us? What about Hart to replace Pepe who you no longer rate?

Our squad, is it weaker having replaced Kuyt, Bellamy and Maxi with Borini, Allen and Sterling?

I have already gone through both of these in detail:

- We need to either develop British players through the academy or sign the likes of Shelvey on the cheap after they demonstrate talent as a kid in league football. The British player tax that gets attached automatically off the back of one good season (or even a half season in some cases) makes such acquisitions poor value. If FSG are unwilling to oversee a significant net investment in the squad, this stuff matters. Mentioning Rooney or Hart is silly, they are the 5%. THIS CLUB has signed six British players over the past 18 months for a combined total of ~£95m, and I don't see that we have improved ourselves significantly by doing so;

NO BRITISH PLAYERS

- The second part, we've lost Kuyt, Maxi and Bellamy and brought in Borrini and Cole I guess. That is a clear weakening of our attacking options imo. Allen plugs into the center, and may do the job - but he's a gamble at a price above and beyond what he's worth. Our club was a long way off the CL last year. The gap to be closed is significant. We have not done enough, and are unlikely to have done enough by September 01;

City: best squad in the league, standing pat
    Utd: Kagawa could be an excellent acquisition, lost little from last year
    Arsenal: have strengthened significantly, probably will be improved even without RVP
    Spurs: Are making key acquisitions and do not look set to lose any key pieces at this point
    Newcastle: standing pat I guess
    Chelsea: Big bold strides
    Everton: Pieenar in, Cahill out - not disimproved

Us? If you think we're gaining significantly on the basis of what we've done so far you aren't paying attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Can't find one reliable source for M'Vila to Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Not for the first time -

:confused:

Lloyd indulging in vanity searching now.

I know you hate when people remember things and believe people should be accountable for their opinions and predictions. I'd hate it too if I was you.
    Not for the first time -

What? :confused:

Amiable.

I could even produce a quote of his on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

So after we'd just finished second in the league, he should have been sacked? Awesome.
    Melion wrote: »
    Mind boggingly stupid post

maybe the league table for the next season backs me up. if chelsea and utd hadnt have won the cups we wouldnt have been good enough to get into europe.

Duncan Castles. Very reliable imho

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Amiable.

I could even produce a quote of his on it. :D

Have you been at the Jack D already this morning?

maybe the league table for the next season backs me up. if chelsea and utd hadnt have won the cups we wouldnt have been good enough to get into europe.

Or if the owners had backed him with more than the transfer fee for Kyrgiakos we would have pushed on and possibly won the league.

Downing was poor last season but he needs another. Lucas suffered the same fate.

yes you are correct Damo, Lucas wasnt great, has improved slightly but then couldnt get any worse on previous seasons - a lot of people have bought into "Lucas Love" hoping he becomes better - I have had enough of him myself - sell him and buy a creative midfielder

I have already gone through both of these in detail:

- We need to either develop British players through the academy or sign the likes of Shelvey on the cheap after they demonstrate talent as a kid in league football. The British player tax that gets attached automatically off the back of one good season (or even a half season in some cases) makes such acquisitions poor value. If FSG are unwilling to oversee a significant net investment in the squad, this stuff matters. Mentioning Rooney or Hart is silly, they are the 5%. THIS CLUB has signed six British players over the past 18 months for a combined total of ~£95m, and I don't see that we have improved ourselves significantly by doing so;

NO BRITISH PLAYERS

- The second part, we've lost Kuyt, Maxi and Bellamy and brought in Borrini and Cole I guess. That is a clear weakening of our attacking options imo. Allen plugs into the center, and may do the job - but he's a gamble at a price above and beyond what he's worth. Our club was a long way off the CL last year. The gap to be closed is significant. We have not done enough, and are unlikely to have done enough by September 01;

City: best squad in the league, standing pat
    Utd: Kagawa could be an excellent acquisition, lost little from last year
    Arsenal: have strengthened significantly, probably will be improved even without RVP
    Spurs: Are making key acquisitions and do not look set to lose any key pieces at this point
    Newcastle: standing pat I guess
    Chelsea: Big bold strides
    Everton: Pieenar in, Cahill out - not disimproved

Us? If you think we're gaining significantly on the basis of what we've done so far you aren't paying attention.

Agree that we need to develop players through the Academy and also sign cheap young British talent like Shelvey and Sterling.

But the no-British policy is almost as silly as only-buying British.

On the face of it, United overpaid for Chris Smalling. But I firmly believe he is one of the best young centre-backs in Europe, and being British and given how British players rarely venture overseas, he is likely to be a United player for his entire career. His transfer fee is pittance if you look at it that way.

Regarding Allen, there may be better/cheaper alternatives on the continent, but I can't think of many better who more perfectly fit into Rodger's desired style of play. He is a pass-and-move/pressurise-the-opposition type player. Exactly what we need in midfield. On top of that the manager has worked with him before and he can also give us defensive cover if Lucas is injured/suspended.

I agree with Kess that he is probably a £10 million player. Clearly the manager values him higher than that, or is willing to pay a premium for the right player.

Not for the first time -

yes you are correct Damo, Lucas wasnt great, has improved slightly but then couldnt get any worse on previous seasons - a lot of people have bought into "Lucas Love" hoping he becomes better - I have had enough of him myself - sell him and buy a creative midfielder

Ohwow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

agree with Damien360 on downing. do think he has more to offer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Now I know you`re just looking for a rise. On yr bike lad.

To be fair, quite a few of us on here, including yourself, have been saying that we thought that M'Vila was gettable this summer at a similar price or less to what was being quoted for Allen.

I think that people who primarily follow the Premiership and maybe La Liga don't quite grasp the kind of prices that quality players move for in France, Belgium, Holland, Turkey etc. The market is not generally as inflated in those countries with average players moving for smaller amounts and the larger amounts (in terms of what is seen as large in those countries) being reserved for genuine quality.

M'Vila for anything between 12m and 15m is no surprise tbh.

I took a keen interest in M'Vila in particular as he plays for my local team from my time living in France. :)

Now I know you`re just looking for a rise. On yr bike lad.

It is what it is - I just don't buy into the illusion - take it as ye like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lucky LLoyd what is your ideal starting position for LFC as the new season starts?

Manager, players, strategy,

Have you been at the Jack D already this morning?

Have been eyeballing a bottle of 18 year old Glenmorangie. Single malt of course. Does that count?

• Advertisement

LL reaches to the root of C drive for the cartoon stash - well done LL, vanity and cartoons, ur on a roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Have been eyeballing a bottle of 18 year old Glenmorangie. Single malt of course. Does that count?

Jaysis Kess, a man of impeccable taste.

Lucky LLoyd what is your ideal starting position for LFC as the new season starts?

Manager, players, strategy,

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Too right it does

I took a keen interest in M'Vila in particular as he plays for my local team from my time living in France. :)

No can do. London is your turf. I have mainland Europe, and other than Ade I ain't sharing.

Too right it does

It will be savoured at various points during the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

61vx3rqrl8uy7.gif

:rolleyes:

I gets the feelin u have an alert operating on boards whenever the name is mentioned

if (text like "Lucas" or "Leiva")
    and context != "my_opinion"
    then get_me_out_of_bed = "Y"
    and cartoons = "Go"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Have to say I find the Lloyd bashing a little uncomfortable to read, and in fact only serves to strengthen his observations imho.

I think the reality of the situation lies in the middle of the two extremes.

• Advertisement

No can do. London is your turf. I have mainland Europe, and other than Ade I ain't sharing.

I'm sorry, I spent a couple of years living mainly Brittany.
    I loved French Football. Best atmosphere was at Stade Geoffroy-Guichard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Des wrote: »

Jaysis Kess, a man of impeccable taste.

Perhaps I could direct you to some Green Spot, Red Breast or a Midleton Very Rare? There's a 'No British Whiskeys' joke in there somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

SM01 wrote: »
    Perhaps I could direct you to some Green Spot, Red Breast or a Midleton Very Rare? There's a 'No British Whiskeys' joke in there somewhere...

The only Irish Whiskey worth considering is Turf Mór tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

spockety wrote: »
    Have to say I find the Lloyd bashing a little uncomfortable to read, and in fact only serves to strengthen his observations imho.

I find Lloyd only deals in facts .

Some folk don't like them there facts .

spockety wrote: »

I find his constant defence of Kenny and his 2 cup final season embarrassing.
    I find his NO BRITISH PLAYERS opinion beyond embarrassing.
    I find his opinion on Rodgers pathetic.
    I find his opinion on our squad being weaker than last season baffling.

Had seen that alright, though I had dismissed it, perhaps wrongly.

I love the new avatar. Very apt :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Jaysus the droolers, window lickers and wum's must all be on day release.

Unsubscribes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

+1

Turf Mór and Green Spot are 2 excellent choices

But can I interest anybody in a Clontarf Single Malt?

It's the Steve Finnan of whiskeys. Unassuming, classy, top drawer

• Advertisement

Had seen that alright, though I had dismissed it, perhaps wrongly.

He also writes for The Sunday Times but that's behind a paywall :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement