Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I hope you're right about Shelvey. Not sure if you are though.

Melion wrote: »
    Exactly the same as Maxi

Shelvey & Maxi are very very different players? :confused:

You were going on about Sterling replacing Maxi.

Awful awful awful post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Shelvey & Maxi are very very different players? :confused:

You were going on about Sterling replacing Maxi.

No Al. Sterling will be a player from the bench and get starts in the cups. Exactly like Maxi last season.

I've already shown you, Maxi had 17 starts last season. You expect similar for Sterling?

Rodwell off to City?! Can't he play CB?! Please let that mean they're done with Agger!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Was it a full moon last night?

Opr

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What time is kick off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Is it a 3 o'clock kick-off today lads?

I've already shown you, Maxi had 17 starts last season. You expect similar for Sterling?

And I asked you to show me how many league starts he had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Rodwell off to City?! Can't he play CB?! Please let that mean they're done with Agger!!!!

Well that explains Moyes photo at the Emitates on Friday.

£20 mil is the reported fee

Another victory for UFFP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Here is some light topical reading on a sunday morning for you miserable gits:p

Sami Hyypia was a role model for young players according to Reds midfielder Lucas Leiva.

A rock at the heart of Liverpool's defence for 10 years, Hyypia made 464 appearances for the club, winning one Champions League, one UEFA Cup, two UEFA Super Cups, two FA Cups and two League Cups.

And ahead of the 39-year-old bringing his Bayer Leverkusen team to Merseyside for a friendly encounter on Sunday, Lucas has paid tribute to the man he played alongside for two years and expects Hyypia to receive a rapturous welcome from Reds fans upon his return.

"I had the chance to play with Sami for two or three seasons, and I was very young," Lucas told Liverpoolfc.com.

"He is a great professional and he was a great player. In the dressing room, he was the one who kept everyone together, especially the young players.

"He would try to advise you, try to give you confidence that you can go out on the pitch and do what you normally do in the training sessions.

"He was like a model for us and for me, and I am excited to meet him. Now he is in a new role and we hope he will be as successful as a manager as he was as a player."

Those attributes paint a picture of a man well suited to becoming a coach later in his career and Lucas revealed that, although perhaps earlier than expected, his teammates always believed Hyypia would make the transition.

"We knew he had a lot of knowledge about tactics, positions and everything, so we knew that he would be a manager," added the 25-year-old.

"Maybe it was quicker than we thought, but credit to him and I am delighted to see him being appointed as a manager for a big club already and at such a young age as well."

Hyypia left the Reds in 2009, a decade after being signed by Gerard Houllier from Dutch side Willem II, to join the German outfit Leverkusen. He played for a further two years there before being handed the reins as manager in April this
    Having also captained Liverpool for two years during his time in a red shirt, the elegant centre-half is still fondly remembered around Anfield and Lucas is anticipating a fitting reception on Sunday.

He continued: "I'm sure he will get a great reception. I remember his last game, I was involved and it was very emotional.

"He played for 10 years for Liverpool so that means he really played with a lot of pride and I think he loved Liverpool. That's why the fans will try to give him a very good reception because he deserves it."

As well as an opportunity to pay homage to a former great, Sunday's fixture is also the Reds' penultimate match before the new Barclays Premier League season begins.

Currently working his way back to full fitness after a lengthy lay-off due to a knee injury, Lucas is as aware as anybody of the importance pre-season friendlies hold.

He concluded: "We had three friendlies, there are two official games and one more friendly against Leverkusen so we will have six games in total just before the Premier League starts. It's important to have minutes, to have the squad to be in the best shape."

Get your tickets for Liverpool v Bayer Leverkusen online now>>

City have agreed a fee for Jack Rodwell from Everton. Wondering will that have any bearing on the interest in Agger?

Opr

League stats instead please? 10 or 11 appearances?

Are we only in the league next season or something? :confused:
    And I asked you to show me how many league starts he had.

10 starts last season.

24 the season before.

Sterling won't be coming near that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Leiva wrote: »
    Honestly and I am probably gonna get flamed for this but I reckon Torres was sold and didn't want to go .

Everything I see and read about Agger this window suggests the owners are trying to do similar.

Torres has said there is more to it than meets the eye and I think time will tell.

Oh and that finger by Meireles was bizarre and probably aimed and someone who he knew was cashing in on him aswell.

Wow....I can't believe you got away with that.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

opr wrote: »
    City have agreed a fee for Jack Rodwell from Everton. Wondering will that have any bearing on the interest in Agger?

Opr

He's a DM not a CB so I'm not sure why it would make any difference - its not like money is (really) an issue. If Mancini gets his way another cheque can be written.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    He's a DM not a CB so I'm not sure why it would make any difference - its not like money is (really) an issue. If Mancini gets his way another cheque can be written.

I know that but his future position is widely touted to be CB. Kompany was similar in many respects as he used to play as a DM.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Opr

Twitter rumour take what you want from it ...

MCFC had a final offer for Agger turned down this morning and he will remain at LFC

Are we only in the league next season or something? :confused:

10 starts last season.

24 the season before.

Sterling won't be coming near that.

I'll put a forum access bet on Sterling having more appearances this season than Maxi had last season providing he stays at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Wonder if Allen will be played today? Perhaps too soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Opr

I'd say it would have more bearing on De Jong. Looks like he might be on his way tbh, can't remember where he has been linked to though. Need more coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Opr
    mike65 wrote: »
    I know that but his future position is widely touted to be CB. Kompany was similar in many respects as he used to play as a DM.

Opr

Would go along with the idea of him being used as a CB. Had a chat on here with one or two of the United posters a long time back about Rodwell being in amany ways a Kompany clone. He is years behind Kompany in terms of development as Kompany at that age was a smashing player, but I think there is a chance of Rodwell becoming a very good centre back. The weaknesses to his game in midfield would not have the same impact on his game if he was to be used at the back. Plus I cannot think of a better player for him to be around in training etc than Kompany.

Inter Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Is his opinion on Rodgers not just that he very unproven & in his opinion we've made a poor appointment? That he's not deserving of blind faith & some of the frankly incredible hyperbole that's been directed at him?

I fail to see why anyone would have an issue with that opinion? :confused:

Re: our squad being weaker. That's absolutely undeniable where we stand at the minute IMO.

Bellamy, Kuyt, Maxi & most likely Carroll out.
    Borini, Allen, Cole in.

I think its more the case that he uses any small thing as a negative to bash Rodgers with. I mean every time something happens you will have him on here giving out about something.

I dont think Rodgers was any of our first choice managers and its definitely a huge risk. I wanted Rafa back, but it doesnt mean that im going to constantly slate Rodgers now. The time for slating is way down the line, if we are playing horrible football, poor results, the wrong things being said in the media etc.

At present NONE of that is happening. All this bashing is coming from the very same guy who gives out about supporters calling for managers heads too soon.

People on here arent stupid, they realise its not going to be all tiki-taka and lollipops. The squad is still poor and wether people like to admit it or not a very very large part of that falls firmly at the feet of Kenny.

On the squad being weaker....

Kuyt: Awful season, big wages, past his best. A good squad player. Only played a bit part last season.
    Maxi: A good squad player, massive wages, being lauded as a world beater at times when he only had a bit part to play last season.
    Aquilani: A joke of a transfer and no loss or gain from the last two seasons.
    Bellamy: Now this is a loss. Wanted to move back home so what could Rodgers do?

In you have...

Borini: Young, eager and has an eye for goal.
    Allen: Young, knows Rodgers style of play and stylish footballer. Can play alongside Lucas or cover his role if Lucas is out. Saves us some from Spearing.
    Cole: Hope hes gone by September 1st.
    Sterling: Could play a much bigger part this season. Could end up being more effective than a Kuyt/Maxi coming off the bench.
    Pacheco: Looked really good in pre season. If given the chance could again become a good squad player.
    Suso: If given the chance could become another good option to have.

People are forgetting that these youngsters are all a year older and wiser. They cry out for their inclusion yet ignore them and state the squad is weakened because we got rid of two players who are past their best and didnt even contribute much last season.

And the window hasn't even closed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Leiva wrote: »
    Honestly and I am probably gonna get flamed for this but I reckon Torres was sold and didn't want to go.

I think I read a rumour (on here :pac:) that suggested Fernando handed in a transfer request but eventually changed his mind, but Kenny wouldn't have it and wanted to make an example of him.

I think I read a rumour (on here :pac:) that suggested Fernando handed in a transfer request but eventually changed his mind, but Kenny wouldn't have it and wanted to make an example of him.

That rumour floated about on a lot of sites. But remained a rumour.

I do think that there will be further fall out from the sale of Torres in the future though. Whether or not it involves that rumour is anyone's guess.

joe123 wrote: »
    they realise its not going to be all tiki-taka and lollipops.

Great post but this is worth quoting!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'll put a forum access bet on Sterling having more appearances this season than Maxi had last season providing he stays at the club.

Forum access bets are just silly. Why not just 20 quid, or a 6 month signature bet (within reason victor chooses losers sig for 6 months) or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ya know what? Forget about Rodgers, he has divided the fanbase around here too much and his appointment has created some kind of conversation vortex in here.

Can we just have Sami as (player)manager instead? I'd love that.
    Who's with me?

Appearances in all comps? Or league only?

I'll put €50 on it, not forum access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Opr

So Rodwell gone to City for 18m. Then Agger is worth double that. I don't think city will offer more than 30m and therefore Agger will stay :D

• Advertisement

Appearances in all comps? Or league only?

I'll put €50 on it, not forum access.

€50 on Sterling getting more than 11 league appearances? I'll gladly take that bet.
    Of course providing he stays at the club for the entirety of the season, bet voided if he leaves.

€50 on Sterling getting more than 11 league appearances? I'll gladly take that bet.
    Of course providing he stays at the club for the entirety of the season, bet voided if he leaves.

More than 12 (that's the appearances Maxi had according to ESPN)

If you're throwing in "bet voided if he leaves" well then I think the starts he gets are relevant. 2 x sub appearances = 1 start. He's effectively gotta beat Maxi using that scale. Deal?

More than 12 (that's the appearances Maxi had according to ESPN)

If you're throwing in "bet voided if he leaves" well then I think the starts he gets are relevant. 2 x sub appearances = 1 start. He's effectively gotta beat Maxi using that scale. Deal?

I'm busy for the afternoon with my daughter. Try dig out how many league starts Maxi had last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Stephen Hawking would have a tough time figuring that bet out.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭tap28

All these arguments are going round and round. The sooner the league starts the better for all our sanity.

In my opinion, FSG felt they had to get rid of Roy (rightly so) and appointed Kenny on a short term basis. I don't think he was ever the man they wanted long term, however Kenny did better than expected and is a club legend, so gave him longish contract. They thought with their man Comoli in situ, the buying and selling of players would work out.

While they talk the talk about the history of our club etc their sole long term (and maybe not so long term) focus is that Liverpool FC will generate profit for its investors.

Since they took over they got their fingers massively burnt in the transfer market. IMO in the main FSG transfer strategy is to buy young quality players at modest amount ie 10- 15m and sell when those players reach there highest value in late 20's for multiples of the purchase price. For this to happen and not to weaken the squad dramatically, you need a really good scout/replacement set-up and productive youth academy. I have grave doubts about the former.

Especially as Americans, would have been shock and dismayed with the handling of the racism issue. Doesn't matter about which player was innocent, "if you're explaining you're losing"

I think bar some sort of miracle Comili and Kenny were always going to the heave-ho.

Now they have appointed the kind of manager wanted without the structure they wanted (DoF etc) while cutting back on spending. I really hope it works out for Rogers and Liverpool, but if it is to it will take years not weeks to do so. Will FSG give him that much time?

Our club is at yet another crossroads, I don't know about you but I don't know which way it will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Hope theirs another new signing in the directors box today, we have to get at least another player in before next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

What's a forum access bet?

I'm busy for the afternoon with my daughter. Try dig out how many league starts Maxi had last season.

He had 10 starts & 2 sub appearances in the league.
    Stephen Hawking would have a tough time figuring that bet out.

I know you're struggling with basic stuff recently, but it's quite simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

budgemook wrote: »

Whoever loses doesn't get to post in the thread/forum again.

• Advertisement

budgemook wrote: »

Loser loses right to post in the forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I know you're struggling with basic stuff recently, but it's quite simple.

Ironically you fail to see it was a joke.

Sterling starts :)

Confirmed #LFC team: Reina, Enrique, Kelly, Carragher, Coates, Lucas, Shelvey, Gerrard, Downing, Sterling, Suarez

Opr

Ironically you fail to see it was a joke.

I thought jokes were meant to be funny? :confused:

OPR, is Allen on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Is this being shown on the telly/net somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

jebidiah wrote: »
    Is this being shown on the telly/net somewhere?

ESPN and Setanta Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Good to Coates and sterling there :)

Nope given a few of them the day off it seems.

#LFC subs: Subs: Carroll, Henderson, Spearing, Adam, Jones, Robinson.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

No Agger :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Nope given a few of them the day off it seems.

#LFC subs: Subs: Carroll, Henderson, Spearing, Adam, Jones, Robinson.

Opr
    Was sh!te talk about Carroll in Bray so.

Where the **** is Agger?!?! :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement