Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Any highlights of the game? Missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Agger & Skrtel flew out together today on international duty, as their respective nations play each other in a friendly mid week.

Most 1st team players who will be away on international duty did not feature today, except Carroll, Adam, think Henderson and no doubt I've missed someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Yet another manager looks like he doesn't rate him along with every other manager that had him yet people sitting in armchairs who seen the odd footage of a few fancy flicks in underage and reserve football think he's a class act

Who said he was a class act? If he's being moved on fine but it doesnt seem like the player knows whether he's coming or going which is not fair on him as he seems like a good kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He's better than Cole. Way better than Cole.

Therefore getting rid of him (taking into account his tiny wages) & giving Joe Cole even 1 minute game time this season would be a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He's better than Cole. Way better than Cole.

Therefore getting rid of him (taking into account his tiny wages) & giving Joe Cole even 1 minute game time this season would be a crime.

Seriously but why is Joe Cole even still at the club ?

If Rodgers sticks with him purely because of past loyalties and at the detriment of real talent at the club then I will be really disappointed and question any past statements about no one is safe and everyone plays for the club etc, but if he moves him on with with the intent it deserves then it will show he means business .

In other news from one of our new stars ..
    @sterling31: Thanks for all the messages that goal meant the world to me , in god all things are possible :)

Carlsberg don't do first senior goals but if they did ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Unfortunately I see cole and carra warming the bench all season when if fact coates and one of the yonger players should be there

One for the wallpaper .

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVAhhMaHR0cDovL2Rpc3RpbGxlcnlpbWFnZTQuaW5zdGFncmFtLmNvbS81MDkyOTFjNmU0YTIxMWUxODFkODIyMDAwYTFkMDExMF83LmpwZxQEFgASAA&s=O4t-eKMvuGRfXRtluZOlO9KyBG4JtwRy2wXumEXga64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Leiva wrote: »
    Seriously but why is Joe Cole even still at the club ?

If Rodgers sticks with him purely because of past loyalties and at the detriment of real talent at the club then I will be really disappointed and question any past statements about no one is safe and everyone plays for the club etc, but if he moves him on with with the intent it deserves then it will show he means business .

In other news from one of our new stars ..

Carlsberg don't do first senior goals but if they did ....

Why dont you wait to see what Rodgers does first with regards to Cole? Also if he doesn't sell him, dont take that as him wanting to keep him around. Too much of this "if Rodgers does this, if Rodgers does that" at the moment. Lets just see what he does first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Why dont you wait to see what Rodgers does first with regards to Cole? Also if he doesn't sell him, dont take that as him wanting to keep him around. Too much of this "if Rodgers does this, if Rodgers does that" at the moment. Lets just see what he does first.

As pointed out before, the only way we'll get rid of Joe is to drown him in the Mersey.......no-one wants him, and tbh its not hard to see why!...

• Advertisement

Seriously man where can you see Cole getting into the squad ?

If he does it's is a joke .

No other explanation .

budgemook wrote: »
    What's a forum access bet?
    Hoki wrote: »
    Whoever loses doesn't get to post in the thread/forum again.

Quick....someone make a bet with LL :p

Seriously man where can you see Cole getting into the squad ?

If he does it's is a joke .

No other explanation .

I can see him on the bench......i dont see him starting any games and i dont see him being moved on, if anyone had any intrerest he'd be gone i would imagine....

NukaCola wrote: »
    I can see him on the bench......i dont see him starting any games and i dont see him being moved on, if anyone had any intrerest he'd be gone i would imagine....

Even a place in the bench would be at the expense of someone who deserves it.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Even a place in the bench would be at the expense of someone who deserves it.:mad:

He sleep with your missus? I mean he's no messi Gerrard tm, but he's not that bad :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thing is that he has a legal contract with LFC that they must honour.

If he's not loaned or sold we're stuck with him and that's not Rodger's fault.

Even if we are stuck with him, doesn't mean we have to play him, ever. Nor does it mean he should have a place in the matchday squads ahead of the likes of Pacheco :confused:

Kirby wrote: »
    He sleep with your missus? I mean he's no messi Gerrard tm, but he's not that bad :p

Nope.

It's just we have moved on or let players go (Maxi, Dirk) that are of more use or ability than Joe Cole.

FFS Dirk is worth two Joe Coles.

Loan him out, pay half the wage, anything, just get him out of the way of the rising talent we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Does anyone believe we wouldn't get rid of Cole if we could?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Even if we are stuck with him, doesn't mean we have to play him, ever. Nor does it mean he should have a place in the matchday squads ahead of the likes of Pacheco :confused:

Did i miss something in the last few months in relation to Pacheco. I seen him playing out wide in a preseason game and he couldn't cross the ball? He was ok but no end product with the lad. Pacheco deserves his place no more than Cole does....both have done little to impress, both wont improve the squad, both add nothing to the squad.....that being said, if i were to keep one i'd keep Pacheco, but i'd get rid of both if possible.

• Advertisement

Nope.

It's just we have moved on or let players go (Maxi, Dirk) that are of more use or ability than Joe Cole.

FFS Dirk is worth two Joe Coles.

Loan him out, pay half the wage, anything, just get him out of the way of the rising talent we have.

There was a market for those players.....there isn't one for Joe Cole....do you honestly believe we are turning down bids for him...

There was a market for those players.....there isn't one for Joe Cole....do you honestly believe we are turning down bids for him...

No but I don't see him on any transfer list .

There is plenty of lower teams that would take him but again his ridiculous wage is an issue . Pay half and pat him on the back in the way out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

That Macca bloke is sayin that Sahin is close to joining and the club is stepping up efforts to sign Walcott. Is he reliable? I`ve heard he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Worried that Savic looking completely out of his depth again today could tempt City to break the bank for Agger.

That Macca fellow (I know who?) but he seems to be trusted by some. He called we were looking at loan deals good bit before Rodgers mentioned it. Also posted this near the start of the window.
    08 Jul 2012 00:02:10
    I believe Borini and Allen are definite targets, no news on Ramirez..

So take this with what ever level of salt you feel appropriate.
    Sahin is very close to signing..

I also hate to say it looks like Agger will leave, the club are expecting City to come back with an improved offer which could include Johnson..

Also we are stepping up our efforts to sign Walcott..

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jesus Levia, this isn't football manager. As if putting him on the transfer list will make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

There is plenty of lower teams that would take him but again his ridiculous wage is an issue . Pay half and pat him on the back in the way out .

Could you provide a link to these transfer lists you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Jesus Levia

Son of Fowler?

I'm sure they are doing there best to move him on.

I will only get worried about Cole if he starts games or takes up game time from developing players. If that happens i can talk a bit more about the subject....until then i dont think anyone can pass judgement on what Rodgers is doing with regards Joe Cole.

opr wrote: »
    Worried that Savic looking completely out of his depth again today could tempt City to break the bank for Agger.

Opr

I was thinking the same earlier . Savic was muck

But Agger in that team would be frightening :(. He is exactly what they need right now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just saw the highlight of the Arsenal game. Jesus they have the makings of a super team next season. All 3 players they brought in were class today. Podolski has an eye for goal :(.
    I hope BR is gonna surprise us over the next couple of weeks with some special signings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

opr wrote: »

That Macca fellow (I know who?) but he seems to be trusted by some. He called we were looking at loan deals good bit before Rodgers mentioned it. Also posted this near the start of the window.

So take this with what ever level of salt you feel appropriate.

Opr

I've been out of the loop the last few days, since when did the possibility of Sahin return? I thought he was all but set for Arsenal? Could be a really shrewd loan signing.

Sahin and Dempsey in and Agger to stay and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Morzadec wrote: »
    I've been out of the loop the last few days, since when did the possibility of Sahin return? I thought he was all but set for Arsenal? Could be a really shrewd loan signing.

Sahin and Dempsey in and Agger to stay and I'll be happy.

We've been linked with him by Rory Smith, Barret etc over the last few days who all say the interest is genuine and we've made enquiries. Been fairly surprised at the idea that we would be able to get him over Arsenal but who knows maybe some good words from Jose and Xabi.

Opr

Personally I don't think Pacheco is good enough but he certainly should be in ahead of Cole if it's a choice between the two as the latter is old, lazy, overpaid and useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If we got Sahin I'd be delighted - it would be an exciting signing. If getting him depends on selling Agger then DO NOT WANT tbh.

Coates wasn't particularly impressive today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Personally I don't think Pacheco is good enough but he certainly should be in ahead of Cole if it's a choice between the two as the latter is old, lazy, overpaid and useless.

I hope that we keep Pacheco If he makes through to the first team good if not we will get a few million for him from some spanish club.When it comes to cole sell him if not let him go for free that way we get another 90grand a week off the books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Kuyt scored for Fenerbache against Galatasary tonight. Still popping up with the big goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Dirk scored on his debut against Galatasary which would make him an instant hero wouldn`t it? Delighted for him.

EDIT: Monkey beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

monkey9 wrote: »
    Kuyt scored for Fenerbache against Galatasary tonight. Still popping up with the big goals.

"Shushed" the Gala fans after scoring, a la Mourinho. Already a club legend!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Dirk scored on his debut against Galatasary which would make him an instant hero wouldn`t it? Delighted for him.

EDIT: Monkey beat me to it.
    Oscorp wrote: »
    "Shushed" the Gala fans after scoring, a la Mourinho. Already a club legend!

This is crazy but I got a little emotional when I heard he had scored against Gala.

The guy is so underrated its criminal .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

From that interview; Rodgers:
    "I'll never be complacent. I've got so much to prove here. The majority of the supporters aren't sure about me. I've got to fight for my life here and prove that I'm good enough to be here."

Good stuff again from the man at the helm.

Feeling cautiously optimistic ahead of the first game. Bit worried about the following 4 games though and we could easily end up right down the bottom going into October. If we can even get 1 win, a couple of draws and a loss I think we'll not be doing too terribly from it.

daithijjj wrote: »

I really hope this works out. Seems like a top fella. Also great to hear him say he needs to fight for his life to prove he deserves the job, totally at odds with how Hodgson spoke when he came in.

Gbear wrote: »
    From that interview; Rodgers:
    "I'll never be complacent. I've got so much to prove here. The majority of the supporters aren't sure about me. I've got to fight for my life here and prove that I'm good enough to be here."

Good stuff again from the man at the helm.

Feeling cautiously optimistic ahead of the first game. Bit worried about the following 4 games though and we could easily end up right down the bottom going into October. If we can even get 1 win, a couple of draws and a loss I think we'll not be doing too terribly from it.

I like his honesty its refreshing taking on his shoulders and less pressure on the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rumours that Clint Dempsey was at Anfield today in the directors box
    probably false though considering no photo's were leaked

Dirks goal @2:33

Also won a free for the first . :)

I know it was his time to move on but i miss diggler:(

It's been 15 years, time to get over it :p

Sod off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

gaelicred wrote: »
    I hope that we keep Pacheco If he makes through to the first team good if not we will get a few million for him from some spanish club.When it comes to cole sell him if not let him go for free that way we get another 90grand a week off the books

Seriously Gaelicred you need to get real. Everyone here is saying Cole is crap so why would anyone want to buy him? By all accounts he's on £90k a week between wages and signing on bonus spread over the length of his contract. Who's fault is that? LFC that's who. Joe Cole was offered a £90k a week contract. No one forced LFC to offer it to him. He accepted the contract he was offered and now both parties have to honour it. He has to turn up for training, not get too fat (what's the upper end of his target weight I wonder?? :D ) and be available to play if selected. Providing he does that we have to give hime £90k a week. Simples ;)

If we no longer want him around we have a few choices:-

1. Pay up the balance of his contract and terminate the contract. If he has two years left that will cost £90k X 52 X 2 = £9.36m

2. Sell him. Does anyone here seriously think there is a club out there who will actually pay us a transfer fee for him and pay him at least £90k a week? Let's all acknowledge it's as obvious as balls on a dog there isn't a club on the planet who will pay us a transfer fee for the pleasure of then paying Joe at least £90k a week.

3. Loan him out for the remainder of his two year contract. The issue with this is that the clubs who may be interested will probably only want or be willing to pay £20k a week for a player of his current ability so guess who gets to pick up the balance? Yep, you got it in one. It would be LFC thus a 'loan' would only cost us £70k X 52 X 2 = £7.28m. IMHO we might as well have him in the squad as an experienced international for Europa games etc at a marginal cost of £20k a week as have him playing for a lower PL or Championship team.

4. Your preferred option i.e. "let him go for free" - So how do you reckon the conversation with Joe (and his lawyer) will go. BR "Joe, we no longer need you so if you don't mind would you please tear up that contract worth £9m to you and quietly piss off?" JC (or more likely his lawyer) "Sure Brendan, please put that in writing so we can have you for constructive dismissal, get paid up the £9m in full and Joe can start playing for Leeds next week for £20k a week." :-)

We all love the idea of professionals who are more interested in playing football and winning trophies than making money but the reality is professional footballers (or any other professional sports person) have maximising their income over their short career as their main priority and they are dead right. People who call for the likes of Joe Cole to walk away from lucrative contracts in order to 'play regular football' are simply naive and not living in the real world. If I was Joe Cole would I warm the bench for the next two years, pick up in excess of £9m and then go play for some Championship side for £20,000 a week where I can help them get promoted and be a local hero or would I forego the £7.28m in order to go play for the same Championship club now? The answer is so obvious is doesn't need to be stated.

The real world of professional football is made up of deals. Sometimes the club wins (a la Newcastle acquiring Andy Carroll for SFA and selling him for £35m or LFC acquiring Fernando Torres for £20m and selling him for £50m) and sometimes the club loses a la putting a player on £90k a week contract and then realising he is no longer good enough to play for the club and it going to cost up to £9m to get rid of him.

If people here don't like the realities of PROFESSIONAL football they should stop following LFC and start following http://www.lsl.ie.

Rant over :p

Ben

:D
    BenThere wrote: »
    Seriously Gaelicred you need to get real. Everyone here is saying Cole is crap so why would anyone want to buy him? By all accounts he's on £90k a week between wages and signing on bonus spread over the length of his contract. Who's fault is that? LFC that's who. Joe Cole was offered a £90k a week contract. No one forced LFC to offer it to him. He accepted the contract he was offered and now both parties have to honour it. He has to turn up for training, not get too fat (what's the upper end of his target weight I wonder?? :D ) and be available to play if selected. Providing he does that we have to give hime £90k a week. Simples ;)

If we no longer want him around we have a few choices:-

1. Pay up the balance of his contract and terminate the contract. If he has two years left that will cost £90k X 52 X 2 = £9.36m

2. Sell him. Does anyone here seriously think there is a club out there who will actually pay us a transfer fee for him and pay him at least £90k a week? Let's all acknowledge it's as obvious as balls on a dog there isn't a club on the planet who will pay us a transfer fee for the pleasure of then paying Joe at least £90k a week.

3. Loan him out for the remainder of his two year contract. The issue with this is that the clubs who may be interested will probably only want or be willing to pay £20k a week for a player of his current ability so guess who gets to pick up the balance? Yep, you got it in one. It would be LFC thus a 'loan' would only cost us £70k X 52 X 2 = £7.28m. IMHO we might as well have him in the squad as an experienced international for Europa games etc at a marginal cost of £20k a week as have him playing for a lower PL or Championship team.

We all love the idea of professionals who are more interested in playing football and winning trophies than making money but the reality is professional footballers (or any other professional sports person) have maximising their income over their short career as their main priority and they are dead right. People who call for the likes of Joe Cole to walk away from lucrative contracts in order to 'play regular football' are simply naive and not living in the real world. If I was Joe Cole would I warm the bench for the next two years, pick up in excess of £9m and then go play for some Championship side for £20,000 a week where I can help them get promoted and be a local hero or would I forego the £7.28m in order to go play for the same Championship club now? The answer is so obvious is doesn't need to be stated

I agree with everything you said thanks for the novel to explain it.

The real world of professional football is made up of deals. Sometimes the club wins (a la Newcastle acquiring Andy Carroll for SFA and selling him for £35m or LFC acquiring Fernando Torres for £20m and selling him for £50m) and sometimes the club loses a la putting a player on £90k a week contract and then realising he is no longer good enough to play for the club and it going to cost up to £9m to get rid of him.

If people here don't like the realities of PROFESSIONAL football they should stop following LFC and start following http://www.lsl.ie.

Rant over :p I agree with what you say thanks for the novel to explain it:D

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rogers ' Lucas is prolific from 7 yards with no goal keeper'

Swansea blocked Allen from playing??????

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement