Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

-Ade- wrote: »
    As I said before, I personally prefer us to go for players who can contribute in the medium to long term, Dempsey is no doubt, a short term buy for me. Two years we'll get out of him at best IMHO.

I was kind of worried about this, but with Maxi, Kuyt and Bellamy gone, it wouldn't be so bad. At the moment, our first team is actually between prime and quite young. Pepe 29 (young for a keeper), Skrtel 27, Agger 27 (the pair of them only born 3 days apart!), Enrique 26, Johnson 27, Lucas 25, Allen 22, Gerrard 32, Suarez 25, Borini 21, Downing 28.

Those are pretty much the perfect ages to take advantage of our improved youth system. We can use youth as backup until such time as they can step up, which should match fairly nicely with when spaces will naturally be opening up in the team.

Gerrard is the only one who needs to be replaced (due to age) sooner rather than later, which would be beautifully taken care of if we managed to bring in Sahin. I think with Sterling being the closest to coming up to first team standard, a seasoned campaigner to fill the gap and take Downings place in the team is a pretty nice fit. At 29, we'd probably get 2 top level seasons from Dempsey, with another 2 good ones if we wanted them (as more of a bit part player, with Sterling becoming more of a starter at that point). Reckon we could get him on quite reasonable wages too.

On Ramirez, no way would we be offering him 85k a week, not a chance. The absolute max we'd go to is 60k and even that I would say is a stretch. He's at Bologne - I'd wager he's not on much more than 25k as it is, if even that, and I haven't seen anything of any financial power houses coming in for him. Would be no reason to be held to ransom for a figure like 85k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't know anything about Ramirez but I'd still take him over Dempsey due him being 21 compared Dempsey who is 29.

RvP is 29 too, would you skip over him? Dempsey is a smashing player, I can't believe how many people don't rate him. Plus I'm 29 and you're making me feel old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sigurdsson was probably always going to Spurs even if we offered the same wages I reckon.

Wonder if he'll regret that when the Liverpool hurricane passes through this season :P :)

8-10 wrote: »
    RvP is 29 too, would you skip over him? Dempsey is a smashing player, I can't believe how many people don't rate him. Plus I'm 29 and you're making me feel old!

Ha, I think this is part of my subconscious coming to terms with his age too - 29 in 6 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

Anyone see stat posted up about the % of possession we had against bayer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I turned 39 yesterday, so now you can feel young again.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Hyypia: I like Brendan's style

Sami Hyypia believes Liverpool's style of play under Brendan Rodgers will make them one of the toughest teams to beat in the Barclays Premier League this season.

The Kop legend watched on as his Bayer Leverkusen side were dismantled 3-1 by the Reds in a friendly contest at Anfield on Sunday afternoon.

Afterwards, Hyypia conceded Liverpool had made it difficult for his players - but he doesn't think the Germans will be the last team to leave L4 having endured a hard afternoon.

He told reporters: "Liverpool played very well today. He (Rodgers) has changed the face a little bit and created a new system which is difficult to play against.

"It is good to be back, but I came here to win the game. It was a friendly so the most important thing was to prepare the team for the season, which starts in a week's time.

"Of course, from defeat you can't take that much self confidence for the season, but there were a lot of good things in the game today.

"Time will tell (if Liverpool will be successful), but I hope so. Since I left, I've always hoped Liverpool will do well - and hopefully this season they will."

Hyypia was given a warm reception by Liverpool fans as he returned to Anfield for the first time in an opposing capacity since leaving the club in 2009 after 10 years of sterling service.

He added: "I have always had a good relationship with the fans and they were great today, as always. I am grateful I had the chance to come back here."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dempsey as good as RVP now?:pac: Fact is Dempsey won't even be in our first 11, skipping over a player who will and has 8 years service to give seems pretty stupid to me. Ideally we'll sell Carroll and can sign both of them. In saying that I don't think we are interested in Ramirez anyway.

Dempsey as good as RVP now?:pac: Fact is Dempsey won't even be in our first 11, skipping over a player who will and has 8 years service to give seems pretty stupid to me. Ideally we'll sell Carroll and can sign both of them. In saying that I don't think we are interested in Ramirez anyway.

He would definitely be in our starting 11. Midfield trio of Lucas, Allen and Gerrard. Attacking trio of Suarez, Borini and Dempsey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Kess73 wrote: »
    I turned 39 yesterday, so now you can feel young again.:)

A belated Happy Birthday .

I know you like your tits tats ...:pac:

funny-gifs-happy-birthday.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dempsey would be a wide man attacking or the link man in a lot of games. Gerrard will have his usual breakdown, Downing is certainly not a guaranteed starter. If he was picked up for say 4/5 million plus Adam that would be a good deal.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He would definitely be in our starting 11. Midfield trio of Lucas, Allen and Gerrard. Attacking trio of Suarez, Borini and Dempsey.

I'm not sure he'd be very good on the flanks or good enough to start ahead of Suarez up top. Barring last season his goal scoring record has not been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

skydish79 wrote: »
    Anyone see stat posted up about the % of possession we had against bayer?

No but managed to see a good deal of the recent games against Bayer and Gomel. I've noticed a big change in emphasis and a lot more possession (and dare I say domination of the game!).

However, I'm not sure that everyone is up to speed with the new tactics yet. Rodgers emphasises possession and a high pressing game as we know. Some are reverting to bad habits. In particular Adam seems to be trying too hard and looking for the spectacular rather than keeping it simple. Can't see him being a Liverpool player much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Aside from possession, interesting to see how many chances are coming from us pressure the opposition when they have the ball. We don't need to take every pass from the back and create a break, like with Sterling's goal, sometimes it will happen through quick pressure and quick feet of the likes of Luis, Borini and Stevie. Dempsey would definately suit that style, particularly as we now have Lucas and Allen as our two pretecting central players - we can afford to play someone more attacking in Stevie as the 3rd of that 3, which means our other signing should be one of the front 3.

Interesting that Rodgers says he hopes 1 OR 2 more - what position for the 2nd signing? Replacement for Bellers? I think we are all set for GK and defence...

Reina - Backup Jones
    Enrique - Backup Robinson
    Skrtel & Agger - Backup Carra and Coates
    Johnson - Backup Kelly (McLoughlin or Flanno out on loan please)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

PRAF wrote: »
    No but managed to see a good deal of the recent games against Bayer and Gomel. I've noticed a big change in emphasis and a lot more possession (and dare I say domination of the game!).

However, I'm not sure that everyone is up to speed with the new tactics yet. Rodgers emphasises possession and a high pressing game as we know. Some are reverting to bad habits. In particular Adam seems to be trying too hard and looking for the spectacular rather than keeping it simple. Can't see him being a Liverpool player much longer

The "spectacular" (or just long!) pass is an important part of the system. Just not to be over-used. Keep possession, wait for opportunity and bang. Good long balls caught the Gomel defence sleeping a number of times, but unfortuntately it also caught the linesman sleeping too when he wrongly flagged Suarez and Borini as offside .

Juve me arse .. It's us I tell ta , it's us ! :pac:
    @sidlowe: Apparently there's an Athletic Bilbao press conference shortly. I imagine it might be related to Fernando Llorente future (possibly Juve)

I'm not sure he'd be very good on the flanks or good enough to start ahead of Suarez up top. Barring last season his goal scoring record has not been great.

?

He got 17 league goals last season, almost entirely from left wing.
    He got 12 the year before doing the same, with a few more games played as a central attacker off the striker.

His goalscoring record has been the epitome of consistent improvement. Every year since he got to the premiership he has either equaled or bettered his previous years total. Got 7 goals both 3 and 4 years ago. Got 6 five years ago.

I don't expect him to keep up that improvement, but you can pretty much guarantee 10 from him in a support role (which is what he'd have).

He's the right sort of player to be adding to the likes of Borini and Suarez. All 3 could shift around and move to either side, or take advantage of space through the centre if someone else drops wide to receive the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is anyone worried about how we play the ball around at the back. Giving has been giving possession that was very risky in both of the last two games.

?

He got 12 the year before doing the same, with a few more games played as a central attacker off the striker.

His goalscoring record has been the epitome of consistent improvement. Every year since he got to the premiership he has either equaled or bettered his previous years total. Got 7 goals both 3 and 4 years ago. Got 6 five years ago.

I don't expect him to keep up that improvement, but you can pretty much guarantee 10 from him in a support role (which is what he'd have).

He's the right sort of player to be adding to the likes of Borini and Suarez. All 3 could shift around and move to either side, or take advantage of space through the centre if someone else drops wide to receive the ball.

He might be the right player but I think Ramirez would be a better one, a more naturally winger which is where we are lacking. I would call scoring one more goal two seasons running as consistent improvement either, he went two seasons with the same tally, no improvement there. I'd like to have him in the squad but if our aim is to buy a first team player who'll fill the wing spot I'd be disappointed if our first target was Dempsey.

• Advertisement

Rumour has it Michael Owen will join Everton .

What their bench like ..cushioned , heated ?

Any more updates on Dempsey today? Word is he missed flying back to the US for a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ain't you got the memo lads? If a player is older than 23 he's too old and broken down. Also it's stupid to buy a player on the basis that the fee and wages are worth it if they produce through the course of a five year contract. ONSALE VALUE!!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is anyone worried about how we play the ball around at the back. Giving has been giving possession that was very risky in both of the last two games.

Swansea used the same tactics last year. I think the idea behind it is that the benefits (keeping possession, tiring out the other team, getting them to commit resouces and leaving gaps in midfield) outweigh the negatives (occassionally we'll get caught out and concede a bad goal).

I'm actually in favour of it. I'm also glad to see a return to zonal marking for defineding set pieces and some creativity for our own set pieces.

?

Borini and Dempsey are no great shakes on the right side if he is put there as his main role in a game. Dempsey is also very average at best when on the right side. So the only way to fit all three into a front three is to push Suarez to the wide right slot (which he is very good in) and put Borini in the centre.

Going by Rodger's own comments though, he seems to have Suarez down as the man for the spot in the middle, and he has said that when Suarez is on the pitch that Borini will be on the left side.

I still think we are looking for a player that can play in the CAM role and either WF role, so that player and Gerrard look after those roles with Downing being the cover for the RWF role.

Ramirez can play in all three roles, so can the likes of Dembele, my buddy Belhanda, Holtby, and Wijnaldum. Just to name a few that have been brought up on here.

Just using those five names my order of preference would be...

Belhanda
    Wijnaldum
    Dembele
    Ramirez
    Holtby

Kess73 wrote: »
    Borini and Dempsey are no great shakes on the right side if he is put there as his main role in a game. Dempsey is also very average at best when on the right side. So the only way to fit all three into a front three is to push Suarez to the wide right slot (which he is very good in) and put Borini in the centre.

Going by Rodger's own comments though, he seems to have Suarez down as the man for the spot in the middle, and he has said that when Suarez is on the pitch that Borini will be on the left side.

I still think we are looking for a player that can play in the CAM role and either WF role, so that player and Gerrard look after those roles with Downing being the cover for the RWF role.

Ramirez can play in all three roles, so can the likes of Dembele, my buddy Belhanda, Holtby, and Wijnaldum. Just to name a few that have been brought up on here.

Just using those five names my order of preference would be...

Belhanda
    Wijnaldum
    Dembele
    Ramirez
    Holtby

Of the 5, I've only ever seen Dembele play. It was against Liverpool and I think he pretty much ran the show that day and gave us a torrid time. He would seem tailor made for Rodgers as he is very comfortable on the ball and seems to be good technically. Presume his wages wouldn't be a stumbling block and we could probably flog them Adam as they are looking for a Danny Murphy replacement.

• Advertisement

I've a feeling BR plans to play Downing a lot.

Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

gafferino wrote: »

Sigh.

Absolutely agree. He's been virtually ever-present in Rodger's first XI, and he Fits The System. Rodgers likes his wingers to stay wide and stretch the play, and Downing is better capable of doing this than Gerrard, Borini, Dempsey etc.

He blew massively hot and cold last year, but the contant chopping and changing of line-ups and formations can't have helped. Perhaps he'll flourish when given a clearly defined role in a clearly defined system.

He's capable of playing brilliantly at times......but these times are very infrequent and his 'standard' level of playing can be very frustrating. I hope I'm wrong.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ain't you got the memo lads? If a player is older than 23 he's too old and broken down. Also it's stupid to buy a player on the basis that the fee and wages are worth it if they produce through the course of a five year contract. ONSALE VALUE!!

LL out of curiosity....are you older than 21?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sigh.

Why not give him a chance and see how he does.

He was poor last season but maybe he'll improve.

I'm sure if he's not up to it then he'll be dropped.

• Advertisement

Any minute now ...:P
    @sidlowe: So, it's confirmed: Fernando Llorente will not renew his Athletic contract. Huge pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Downing - one the one hand he put in plenty of decent balls esp early in the season that the strikers couldn't make use of and which also fell on fallow ground due to a missing attacking midfield while he also clearly "went missing" in games which doesn't speak well of him. The best we can hope for is that playing him high up the pitch with a more progressive tactical plan will bring out his better qualities.

Hes been pretty good so far from what ive seen tbh

PRAF wrote: »
    Of the 5, I've only ever seen Dembele play. It was against Liverpool and I think he pretty much ran the show that day and gave us a torrid time. He would seem tailor made for Rodgers as he is very comfortable on the ball and seems to be good technically. Presume his wages wouldn't be a stumbling block and we could probably flog them Adam as they are looking for a Danny Murphy replacement.

Is in the final year of his contract as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LL out of curiosity....are you older than 21?

Yes, I'm 28 and lol at the implication in the above. I don't apologise for not agreeing with your view of the club - though maybe if you post up another 20 or so positive media articles from the club website I'll come around. :rolleyes:

Downing has looked good so far to me in the new system, I think he is going to be part of the first 11 this season and I would be happy to see it too to be honest, while he wasn't great at times last season he was a bit of a scapegoat and the stick he got from some people was ott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Fernando Llorente leaving Bilbao, wonder could Pepe put in a word!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why not give him a chance and see how he does.

He was poor last season but maybe he'll improve.

I'm sure if he's not up to it then he'll be dropped.

Yep definitely....more than willing to give him a chance. I just hope when he's not playing well that he can still contribute more than he did last year. As I said when he's on song brilliant but thats not often enough so need him to dig deep. This year could be different for him.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yes, I'm 28 and lol at the implication in the above. I don't apologise for not agreeing with your view of the club - though maybe if you post up another 20 or so positive media articles from the club website I'll come around. :rolleyes:

yeah thats basically my daily digest following my mornings browsing of the broad sheets.

I get your point of view at times, even though I don't agree, and I know you believe in your arguments which I'm all for but damn man you need to calm down a bit.

Fernando Llorente leaving Bilbao, wonder could Pepe put in a word!

Im a relative new comer to Llorente (Uefa cup last season) but was impressed. I'd imagine we dont have a chance of getting him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Im a relative new comer to Llorente (Uefa cup last season) but was impressed. I'd imagine we dont have a chance of getting him?

Same, watched him a fair bit in Europa league and he was great, SidLowe on Twitter says he's heading for Juve, so it looks like we haven't a chance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Duncan Jenkins is back from his 2 week holiday in Ibiza with his mother.

He believes the Ramirez links are just more bull
    He says Liverpool are trying to sign Sahin but Arsenal seem to be in Pool Position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

One of the hottest prospects in Spain is leaving a non-CL club, presumably to further his career, and Liverpool fans actually think there's a chance he'd sign for them?

Seriously?

You couldn't make this shít up

Llorente was never going to leave midtable Spainish team just to join and mid-table English one.

Des wrote: »
    One of the hottest prospects in Spain is leaving a non-CL club, presumably to further his career, and Liverpool fans actually think there's a chance he'd sign for them?

Seriously?

Are you referring to Lorente?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

amiable wrote: »
    Are you referring to Lorente?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seriously?

Every club has deluded fans....Schweinsteiger to United anyone?

Yes.

At 27 he's hardly a prospect any more now is he?

Seriously?

Llorente was never going to leave midtable Spainish team just to join and mid-table English one.

Did you not know that we think we're better than everyone else?

• Advertisement

Yes.

It was a fücking joke !

Mr Grumpy jocks get over yourself .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement