Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Coates still looks very raw. I'm not so sure he's ready to play week-in-week-out for us. He can be very commanding at times, but still has the capacity to scare the bejasus out of me. He needs much more game time than Kenny gave him last season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Oscorp wrote: »
    Coates still looks very raw. I'm not so sure he's ready to play week-in-week-out for us. He can be very commanding at times, but still has the capacity to scare the bejasus out of me. He needs much more game time than Kenny gave him last season though.

That's the thing - he needs games. He can play with the ball at his feet, probably better that Skittles can, but his touch is heavy sometimes, but that is probably cause he's in and out and never gets a good run. He has the pace and tackling ability to do the job, and obviously his size is very useful in both boxes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dickerty wrote: »
    If Agger did leave, I'd rather see Coates playing than Kjaer, he doesn't impress me that hugely...

Was not suggesting him as a replacement for Agger. Ws talking about him being at Liverpool at the same time as Agger.

I agree that he has not always being overly impressive, but then again he only turned 23 a few months ago, so in that sense he has time on his side.

He would not be on my list of players to bring to Liverpool tbh, but Rodgers was at some of the Danish games during the Euros, and he has been linked a few times with Liverpool in the European media since the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

amiable wrote: »
    Or according to some on Boards recently enough he's on a par with Savic

Who on earth posted that?

Dickerty wrote: »
    That's the thing - he needs games. He can play with the ball at his feet, probably better that Skittles can, but his touch is heavy sometimes, but that is probably cause he's in and out and never gets a good run. He has the pace and tackling ability to do the job, and obviously his size is very useful in both boxes...

I've kinda erased this goal from my memory due to what happened after. So good.

What type of player is Sahin? I was always under the impression he was a DM i must be mistaken?

I may be wrong, but I see similarities between himself and Wilshire, although with Sahin having the ability to be more direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

@barcastuff
    Barcelona have informed all clubs who asked for winger Cristian Tello (21) that he won't leave, on loan or permanently, this summer. [md]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Ha, I was just looking at the same video! And another of him against Chelsea, he's really very composed for a big fella...

Kess73 wrote: »
    Was not suggesting him as a replacement for Agger. Ws talking about him being at Liverpool at the same time as Agger.

I agree that he has not always being overly impressive, but then again he only turned 23 a few months ago, so in that sense he has time on his side.

He would not be on my list of players to bring to Liverpool tbh, but Rodgers was at some of the Danish games during the Euros, and he has been linked a few times with Liverpool in the European media since the Euros.

I did not know he was that young. He's been around, and talked about, for quite a while. Could of sworn he was at least 25/26.

I remember a few years ago, when Rafa was still around, he was being hyped up a good bit at the time.

Doesn't seem to be a player capable of the heights that was suggested imo. I don't think he'll ever reach Agger quality for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

<VID>Coates jizz worthy goal<VID>

That QPR game was the turning point for me last season.

If memory serves me correctly;at one stage (with other games going on around us) we sat 4th .But we all know what then happened :(

in other news ...Big Phil will ref us against WBA

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    I did not know he was that young. He's been around, and talked about, for quite a while. Could of sworn he was at least 25/26.

I remember a few years ago, when Rafa was still around, he was being hyped up a good bit at the time.

Doesn't seem to be a player capable of the heights that was suggested imo. I don't think he'll ever reach Agger quality for example.

Agree 100% with that. I don't think he will come close to Agger's current level.

I think Kjaer has very good technical ability, and has good physical qualities, but I think he is very prone to switching off from time to time and in doing so allows the attacking team a lot of space.

I do however think that in a possession based team he could be very effective, especially one that is doing the pressing more often than not, as his pace and technical abilities would suit that kind of team strategy.

There is possibly a good to very good player in him, but if I wanted a good right sided centre back (in the up to 24 age bracket) in the morning, one that is not already a big name, then I doubt if he would anywhere near my top ten once I had taken the time to think about different players.

Leiva wrote: »
    That QPR game was the turning point for me last season.

If memory serves me correctly;at one stage (with other games going on around us) we sat 4th .But we all know what then happened :(

in other news ...Big Phil will ref us against WBA

I don't think I've ever been as frustrated as I was after the Arsenal game. Watched it in college while "studying" for exams and I was exasperated at what happened.

Honestly, it was one of the most controlled displays we have ever had against them and we came away with a loss thanks to RVP, and for a small part, Carragher.

We could have won the game by 5, easily. For me, that was a massive turning point.

Also, I missed the QPR game. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't think I've ever been as frustrated as I was after the Arsenal game. Watched it in college while "studying" for exams and I was exasperated at what happened.

Honestly, it was one of the most controlled displays we have ever had against them and we came away with a loss thanks to RVP, and for a small part, Carragher.

We could have won the game by 5, easily. For me, that was a massive turning point.

The QPR game was straight after I think. I was at that Arsenal game, and I've never been at Anfield as deflated as that at the end, although my sample size is admittedly not massive. Some of the other losses I was at last seasn (Wigan/West Brom for example) was a different type of deflation, more resigned and angry than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Obviously by small you mean huge.;)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

What type of player is Sahin? I was always under the impression he was a DM i must be mistaken?

Not a DM. He's a CM who can also play as an AM. In short, he's very technically gifted, composed on the ball and with great vision to spot a pass be it from deep or that killer through ball in behind the opposition's defence. His movement is very good too, both with and without the ball. Finally, he's a very strong set piece taker.

___

As for Kjaer, not keen whatsoever on him. Have a feeling I've said similar in the past on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'd have Kjaer over Skrtel any day if I'm honest. Like I said the other day, Skrtel has a big season to live up to this year.

I really thought Wolfsburg had gotten a great deal when they took Kjaer but for all the promise he showed early on, he has stalled. Obviously the ructions with Magath haven't helped things, but I'd still say that there is a top level CB there waiting for a chance to shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Dr Galen wrote: »
    I'd have Kjaer over Skrtel any day if I'm honest. Like I said the other day, Skrtel has a big season to live up to this year.

I really thought Wolfsburg had gotten a great deal when they took Kjaer but for all the promise he showed early on, he has stalled. Obviously the ructions with Magath haven't helped things, but I'd still say that there is a top level CB there waiting for a chance to shine.

No way would i have Kjaer over Skrtel...i have seen Kjaer numerous times and almost every game he makes a horrendous mistake and after last season how can you say Kjaer over Skrtel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I think ive been getting him(Sahin) mixed up slightly with Gokhan Inler who was linked us a couple of years back while at Udinese. It must be the Turkish thing.

• Advertisement

I think ive been getting him(Sahin) mixed up slightly with Gokhan Inler who was linked us a couple of years back while at Udinese. It must be the Turkish thing.

Inler is Swiss?

Quality player though.

Then again the early promise he showed was as a 21 year old player. Then as a 22 year old he had the massive falling out with Magath and was bombed out on loan to Roma last season where he did not seem to settle on or off the pitch.

As said earlier, I think there could be a good to very good player in him, but he would need to cut the brain farts out of his game in order to attain his potential as he can be very like the Skrtel of the season before last in terms of errors.

Then again he would not be an expensive player to buy as I doubt he would cost more than £6m at this stage and he does speak english.

I do think he suffers a bit from the same "Agger" effect as Skrtel though, as in when he is in a team that does not contain Agger he is more prone to error.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Kjaer only looks good in the national team with Agger beside him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

gaelicred wrote: »
    That's what happens when you have a 15-18m player next to you I suppose....wait....

I thought so too at the time. But then as you said, his early form petered out and Magath as you probably are aware of is a right character to put it kindly, one of whom many player has fallen out of favour with.

Kjaer's time in Roma was a disaster too. Roma weren't great last season, fair enough, but my word, some of his defending was baffling to say the least.

Most definitely.

• Advertisement

Kjaer Skrtel only looks good in the national Liverpool team with Agger beside him

Liverpoolized your post.

Kjaer is still young and has plenty of time to fufill his potential. I'd love to see him here, if we needed a centre back.

I got on a flight to LA just before kick off and after 10 hours (wondering what happened) I turned on my phone to be instantly greeted by a text from a manc supporter friend "informing" me of the result. I was not a happy man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

To be fair to Skrtel I think the "Carra effect" is as powerful as the "Agger effect" on his form.

-Ade- wrote: »
    I thought so too at the time. But then as you said, his early form petered out and Magath as you probably are aware of is a right character to put it kindly, one of whom many player has fallen out of favour with.

Kjaer's time in Roma was a disaster too. Roma weren't great last season, fair enough, but my word, some of his defending was baffling to say the least.

Brain fart stuff at times. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

391294_459094877455860_2085758330_n.jpg

Text reads :
    Headline - He is going to be a legend.

Agger has told Liverpool that he will refuse any offers from Man City because of his loyalty to the club, even though the management was ready to sell him.

Agger now even more wants to become one of the most popular Liverpool players, and he will be known for an unheard loyalty, in an otherwise faithless footballing world.

Opr

• Advertisement

Twitter is at it again saying alonso wont sign a new contract at Madrid and he wants to move back to the Premier League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I think Carra comes in for some unfair criticism with regards to Skrtle's form, ive no doubt its a much weaker partnership but sometimes a player needs to stand up and have the mental strength to do his own job properly.

Actually, to switch the focus a small bit to another player who has been mentioned here from time to time. Did anyone see Sakho for PSG against Lorient the other day?

1st half especially I thought he looked very shaky, especially for Aliadiere's goal. But then again, the whole PSG backline looked out of sorts for the entire game.

I haven't seen a lot of him, and although that was certainly an off day for PSG, he didn't look the most assured of defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Quality partnership. If we get Kjaer in, then we should go after Agger if he goes to City. Bid the same £15 million they bid for him initially. That'll learn 'em :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Twitter is at it again saying alonso wont sign a new contract at Madrid and he wants to move back to the Premier League
    Not this again :mad:

Not this again :mad:
    It gets better they say Utd City Arsenal and Chelsea are after him:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

There is no realistic price at which we should even want to sign Alonso, even putting aside the fact that he won't want to come back.

Let go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It gets better they say Utd City Arsenal and Chelsea are after him:D
    He'd love to train with Frank Lampard everyday I'd say

Marca Headline - Xabi Alonso begs to come back to Anfield but the owners have told him his wages are too big and he's too old.

Opr

• Advertisement

There is no realistic price at which we should even want to sign Alonso, even putting aside the fact that he won't want to come back.

Let go

I don't think he will be back, but I don't agree that he would not want to. His own comments from last summer about the idea of coming back to Liverpool in the future.

'I think that in football so many things change,'

'I have my red passion and if circumstances arrived then why not?

'At the moment I don't know what is going to happen, but it could be a possibility. Never say never.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ah Jaysus, having Xabi back would be a dream. It won't happen though. :(

Here is part of the interview Agger gave that paper. It's a google translate.
    Daniel Agger left no doubt on the training prior to the national team's test match against Slovakia in Odense: His wish to stay in Liverpool and playing his football for Liverpool FC.

The national team captain has, however, not heard from the Club in the ongoing story of his possible move to Manchester City, Barcelona or other big clubs who have seen themselves warm on the Danish Defender.

"No, says Agger."

Dont you not think that's a bit odd?

(Daniel shakes his head.)

"Thats how they have chosen to do it," says Agger, which in today's training was in the photographers focus because of, among other things, his new YNWA-tattoo (" you'll never walk alone) on the knuckles of his one hand.

"The tattoo was not done in relation to current events" explains the Agger.

"It is a gesture for The Kop, the Club, and the people around the club and the city."

"I want to stay. I can not imagine playing for other clubs in England. But we can never know whether the club sees it as the best selling me"

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

opr wrote: »
    Marca Headline - Xabi Alonso begs to come back to Anfield but the owners have told him his wages are too big and he's too old.

Opr

A great tweet that sums this nonsense up

Liam Tomkins ‏@liam_tomkins
    I'm sure when Xabi Alonso gets sick of the sun, his family, winning major honours & earning a fortune he'll come to aid #LFC's push for 4th.

Regardless of whether the club sell him or not the man has restored my faith that not all footballers are in it for the money.

Class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Sound. With Xabi & Llorente imminent arrivals maybe this transfer window will not be as bad as first thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Regardless of whether the club sell him or not the man has restored my faith that not all footballers are in it for the money.

Class act.

Or his he protecting his brand, making sure Liverpool pay him every cent of his 'loyalty bonus', and letting City know they'll need to offer a bumper contract?

Win-win for Danny, isn't it?

I reckon he could have been strung along for the season.:pac:

Or his he protecting his brand, making sure Liverpool pay him every cent of his 'loyalty bonus', and letting City know they'll need to offer a bumper contract?

Win-win for Danny, isn't it?

I was talking about Xabi's imminent return.

Not really

• Advertisement

Sound. With Xabi & Llorente imminent arrivals maybe this transfer window will not be as bad as first thought

The loan players Brendan was talking about are now believed to be Kaka and Sahin. They should be done this week. #Exciting times.

Opr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement