Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Think sterling might be the new luis Garcia get on our nerves at times when constantly loosing the ball then all is forgiven with a bit of magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

BRod to walk next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Think sterling might be the new luis Garcia get on our nerves at times when constantly loosing the ball then all is forgiven with a bit of magic

Sterling is terrific on the ball. He is not a typical pace-merchant in that he picks and chooses when to run at defenders and when to lay the ball off.

As OPR will confirm, these are qualities that have been developed by Brendan Rodgers in this past month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Looks like Skrtel is about to sign a new deal.
    Martin Skrtel is poised to end speculation about his future by signing a new contract with Liverpool. The Slovakian defender had been a target for several European clubs but is set to follow Luis Suarez and extend his current deal, which has two years remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

gaelicred wrote: »
    How reliable is Richard Buxton
    Very. One of the few that is

I wouldn't actually class him as too reliable.
    He seems to rarely have much info that hasn't been posted or published somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then as of now, realistic best case scenario

Agger stays
    Tello on loan with possible option to buy
    Sahin on loan

Would Tello end talk of Dempsey for cash + Adam ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

amiable wrote: »
    I wouldn't actually class him as too reliable.
    He seems to rarely have much info that hasn't been posted or published somewhere else.

He tends to tweet info about 10 seconds before the club tweets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

opr wrote: »
    I think a scenario has to be entertained is that a certain amount of chicken is going on between the club and Agger.

Agger - Still no contract offer.
    Club - We've offered him a contract.
    Agger - Yeah but a pretty rubbish one.
    Club - Well it's that or we'll sell you.
    Agger - Makes public he doesn't want to leave.
    Club - Well we just set a price at which you will be sold.
    Agger - Ok I may love this club but I will leave if push comes to shove.

Your move Liverpool.

Opr

Exactly what I think has being going on, and the media latched onto it to create more than was there.

HerFrom @LFCGlobe

This is the Daniel Agger situation, as it stands:

Brendan Rodgers wants to keep Agger and Agger is equally committed to remaining at Liverpool.

However, the owners believe selling Agger for an 'exceptional fee' can help the club make up for last year's excessive losses. This resulted in Agger not being offered a new contract, as was planned at the start of the summer.

Manchester City and Barcelona both enquired about Agger last month and Liverpool quickly set their price tag on the player which resulted in Barcelona backing out as they were unwilling to match the asking price.

Man City started negotiations with Liverpool, which are still on-going, and are using Liverpool's interest in Adam Johnson to bring the fee down. They have, so far, had three bids rejected, one which involved Johnson moving on a season-long loan with Liverpool paying all of the player's wages.

We can confirm that the club today started discussions with Per Steffensen - Agger's agent - about a new contract to put pressure on Man City to pay their asking price before an official contract is offered.

As it stands, neither club are budging from their stance and with contract discussions now opening, Agger will remain at Liverpool next season.

A media story this week about how the club and Agger met in the middle? Never.

8th August
    Kess73 wrote: »
    So Barrett and the Times were originally claiming that Liverpool would sell Agger as long as a figure of £22m or above was offered.

Now they want to change their own story to it now being £27m or over because of Agger having contract negotiations despite Barrett and the Times earlier having said there was no contract on the table?

I suppose if the story gets changed enough times they will eventually have a version that ends up close to whatever happenes and they will claim they called it that way from the start.

Made a comment yesterday about Barrett and his articles/scoops.

Think what I said was that when I see a Barrett exclusive that contains direct quotes I tend to take notice as Tony only does that when he is very very sure of what he is putting out there. But when I see a Barrett "exclusive" with no quotes I tend not to be overly concerned as it is generally a fishing expedition to see if he can get a bite or lead to a story by using a rumour as bait.

I think I will put my neck out there and suggest that we will see a story or "exclusive" late this week or towards mid next week along the lines of Agger and the club met in the middle on a new deal or that the £27m price tag was to buy time to convince Agger to sign a new deal.

Gee the Times and others have started to lean towards Agger staying, and are going with a meet in the middle or player and manager digging heels in type storyline. Big swing from all their exclusives abouyt how the player was as good as gone.

9th August
    The Echo seems to be going against the grain in a big way with regards to the media rumours. Now whether or not their rumours are anymore accurate than the likes of the Times is open to debate but they are leaning on the Agger going nowhere side of things and I suspect that Phil Kirkbride or Neil Jones may have another article on it in the Echo very early next week, if not sooner on the Echo website.

Could turn out to be nowt more than idle media gossip as tends to be the case more often than not with these things, but might be worth a look in the coming days for those that keep an eye on the local Liverpool papers.

Should be seeing an Agger article in either the Tuesday or Wednesday edition of the Echo.

10th August

But I do think that the Agger being sold storylines are more media fuelled than anything else, and that there is some hardball being played by both player and club with regards to a new contract which is giving that chink of doubt for the media to blow into a gaping chasm.

Pretty much what OPR said earlier and I reckon it will be spun into a manager standing up to owners storyline which will help get Rodgers extra kudos with the support.

No digs meant at any poster or posters on here, but I think we are going to see just how easily the media can report one thing as almost fact, then come out and say that the opposite was what they were saying from the start.

I also stand by another earlier post about how I reckon Agger will be at Liverpool until he is 30 or 31 and will go back to Denmark to finish his career and then quit football completely. Am expecting Agger to get a new contract that takes him up to the summer of 2016.

Am I going mad or was there not some kind of announcement from Barca earlier today or last night stating that they would not be selling or loaning Tello this summer?

Am I going mad or was there not some kind of announcement from Barca earlier today or last night stating that they would not be selling or loaning Tello this summer?

Twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Looks like Everton are after Dempsey now.Got to love the transfer window:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

mike65 wrote: »
    So then as of now, realistic best case scenario

Agger stays
    Tello on loan with possible option to buy
    Sahin on loan

Would Tello end talk of Dempsey for cash + Adam ?

I'd rather have Dempsey than developing Barca players ahead of our own

Looks like Everton are after Dempsey now.Got to love the transfer window:D

well they will have a few bob from the Rodwell sale so I would expect them to try to bring in two or three players with that cash..

They can have Charlie. I think he'd actually suit them down to the ground. They've been missing a playmaker since Arteta left and now with Cahill gone there is a space for an attacking midfielder. £15 million should do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

It came from a twitter account, but the tweet was from a guy who tweets any barca related stuff from the media which he finds. That particular nugget came from mundo deportivo.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

They can have Charlie. I think he'd actually suit them down to the ground. They've been missing a playmaker since Arteta left and now with Cahill gone there is a space for an attacking midfielder. £15 million should do it

Not even Moyes would be that stupid:D

Not even Moyes would be that stupid:D

I don't think it's a bad shout at all.

Would have to agree with all that. Adam and Dempsey would probably strengthen Everton quite a bit imho, and if they managed to pick up a high energy DM to go with them, then I reckon they would be confident of scrapping it out for a Europa spot.

So far that reason if we were to look to sell Adam, I would not sell to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

PaulieC wrote: »
    He's a world class CB - 15-18 isn't near enough

I think there is more than a hint of Ledley King syndrome here!

Class he is but when he is injured half the time (literally - not just an expression) I think 15-18m is about what he would be worth if City's millions were out of the equation.

I am not trying to slight him in anyway, I just think this talk of 25m (+) for him only exists because of the City's resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Whats the story with Alonso? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was there just a break in transmission?

Alonso is going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

hefferboi wrote: »
    Whats the story with Alonso? :P
    Said it before and I will say it again. of all the players we have had he is the one I would love to see back at the club, in any capacity, ever.

Would be great if he did decide to dump off Real and wanted to come home to Anfield. He is there all of the time. When he is not playing and the pool are he comes over to watch games and is really friendly too. I am lucky enough to get some VIP seats sometimes and have met him on a couple of occasions and he is just so sound. Happy to talk to everyone and seems to really get Liverpool (both the club and the city).

We should do all we can to get him, sell Allen, Henderson, Adam and Adam and give Real all of the money and we would still be getting a bargain. He can play the way that Rodgers wants too and can mix it up in the middle of the park as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

mike65 wrote: »
    Was there just a break in transmission?

Alonso is going nowhere.
    I had a text from Regi.

It said OOps.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I didn't even read what player turty was referring to, just assumed it was Sahin because afair that's the only player I said won't go to a club without CL football.

So yeah, that bet is on with regards Sahin. No problem.

Of course you didn't read it which was my point. The weren't actually talking about a real player at all. Since I was in no way talking about Sahin obviously I'm not doing anything to do with him.

Learn to read before you reply is the moral of the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

5starpool wrote: »
    Of course you didn't read it which was my point. The weren't actually talking about a real player at all. Since I was in no way talking about Sahin obviously I'm not doing anything to do with him.

Learn to read before you reply is the moral of the story.

Learn to read? Maybe you should be saying that to Turty, eh? He was the one who started the confusion by trying to be funny by talking absolute crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

How often does the situation arise where both the player and management, in particular the player want to stay at the club yet the owners are pushing through the deal? This agger situation is as odd! Its also odd that city are still after him after a rumoured 3rd bid rejected and he clearly has no interest playing there, twould be almost like us trying to sign tim cahill when he was at everton for e.g.

Roll on saturday and september 1st in particular when tis finished for another while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Learn to read? Maybe you should be saying that to Turty, eh? He was the one who started the confusion by trying to be funny by talking absolute crap.

No no willy, you're the one who does that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭frankled

I really do not like the idea of owners overriding the manager when it comes to keeping/selling a player.

And to think I was so happy when it was revealed at the start of June that we weren't getting another Comolli. (that's if the above regarding Agger is the case)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Stop encouraging the young lads.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I hate quoting your posts and apologies to everyone who has you on ignore................

BUT

...the fact that you are the only one confused by my post says it all willy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Oh wow. I genuinely forgot about WilllMunny's ****ing anal ridiculusness. Are we seriously puttting up with that **** this season??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Latest Anfield wrap podcast was as always a very good listen. Nice little preview to the new season

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

monkey9 wrote: »
    Oh wow. I genuinely forgot about WilllMunny's ****ing anal ridiculusness. Are we seriously puttting up with that **** this season??
    I didnt last season and certainly not this season. How hard is it to just laugh at his post and then move on instead of keeping a convo going for another hour or two, which just leads no where other than ****ting on this thread. Was funny at the start but now its just annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Latest Anfield wrap podcast was as always a very good listen. Nice little preview to the new season

Thanks for that, it can help me get through an hour at work tomorrow :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'm ignoring all that nonsense above...

So Skittles should sign a new deal, and if hopefully the club will put this Agger stuff to bed and tie him down also. That keeps a very talented back 5 together, the same back 5 that started last season well. That continuity should pay dividends as we change how we play in front of them. Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Luis and Borini will all start most matches, and with the talk of another signing potentially on loan, that leaves Carroll, Adam, Hendo, Downing, Cole, Shelvey, Sterling, Pacheco and Spearing all fighting for 4 or 5 spots on the bench. I think Dani will go, but the rest will still be here on Sept 1st. And maybe a swap of Adam and Dempsey, which can't be bad...

All in all, with the huge wage drop from departures of Bellers, Maxi, Dirk, Aqua and Aurelio, it will have been a pretty successful window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

@GuillemBalague
    Morning. Liverpool feel they have done enough to convince Sahin but nothing confirmed yet. Madrid want a resolution this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Back up the truck of salt the BallBag has spoken..
    @GuillemBalague: Morning. Liverpool feel they have done enough to convince Sahin but nothing confirmed yet. Madrid want a resolution this week
    @GuillemBalague: Liverpool favourites to get Tello on loan. If they offer enough they could buy him. Atletico Madrid second favourites. One doubt. Tello is shy and not convinced yet about moving abroad. His agent and Barcelona trying to meet today or tomorrow

@GuillemBalague: Xabi Alonso will continue at Real Madrid. The regular rumours about a return to Liverpool have got no foundations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Further to those tweets:
    Sahin said no to the opportunity to be part of the transfer of Modric and now take weeks hearing from Xabi Alonso mouth of the benefits of a special club where he could play regularly. Apparently, Xabi work is paying off and Sahin seems convinced. A year at Anfield will give you the confidence (and rhythm) of scarce. Ian Ayre, executive director of the English club, is in Spain because he and Rodgers believes it Sahin (and perhaps Tello) is more than possible.

(http://www.as.com/opinion/articulo/xabi-persuasion-sahin/20120814dasdaiopi_6/Tes via Google Translate)

If Tello is unsure about moving abroad, then a loan seems more likely - if he doesn't like it, he only has to survive for 10 months. Also, he has Masc there to convince him of what a great club we are, in the way that Xabi seems to be doing with Sahin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I hope we're not getting too romantic about players convincing other players about us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Signing Sahin on loan would be exciting.

We should definitely have an option to buy though as much as I'd possible, would be horrible for him to do brilliant & then saunter off at the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Signing Sahin on loan would be exciting.

We should definitely have an option to buy though as much as I'd possible, would be horrible for him to do brilliant & then saunter off at the end of the year.

It would be but if we got into the Champions league with Sahins help for a year I'd get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

CL7 wrote: »
    It would be but if we got into the Champions league with Sahins help for a year I'd get over it.

And that would also help him make up his mind to stay, but Alan is right, we should have some sort of buy clause built into the loan deal. even if it is at a high price range. I'm sure the majority of fans wouldn't mind spunking a transfer budget on the guy if he reaches his potential under Rodgers .

Grayditch wrote: »
    I hope we're not getting too romantic about players convincing other players about us.

No romance involved, but you know it happens. Xabi loves the club, why would they not have a conversation about that? And the same applies to Mascherano, we rescued him and build his profile back up to get him that dream move, and the fans loved him.

I don't doubt for one second that they are championing us as a great club that's coming out of a difficult time...

Leiva wrote: »
    And that would also help him make up his mind to stay, but Alan is right, we should have some sort of buy clause built into the loan deal. even if it is at a high price range. I'm sure the majority of fans wouldn't mind spunking a transfer budget on the guy if he reaches his potential under Rodgers .

I can't see the player agreeing to that. If he performs well and Real decide they have a place for him, he is likely to want to go back - he signing for them for a reason. If he falls in love with LFC and wants to stay, then yes it would be good to have an agreed fee, but I would suggest he would want to be able to decide whether he wants to stay.

But then maybe this is the reverse of the Aqua situation - we could agree a fee, then not want to exercise it and back off him in the latter months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Dickerty wrote: »
    No romance involved, but you know it happens. Xabi loves the club, why would they not have a conversation about that? And the same applies to Mascherano, we rescued him and build his profile back up to get him that dream move, and the fans loved him.

I don't doubt for one second that they are championing us as a great club that's coming out of a difficult time...

Well, I would like to think so, anyway. It does happen of course. Bellers came out and said he swayed Allen towards us, but eh, I think Allen was already putting Melwood into his GPS at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dickerty wrote: »
    Leiva wrote: »

I can't see the player agreeing to that. If he performs well and Real decide they have a place for him, he is likely to want to go back - he signing for them for a reason. If he falls in love with LFC and wants to stay, then yes it would be good to have an agreed fee, but I would suggest he would want to be able to decide whether he wants to stay.

But then maybe this is the reverse of the Aqua situation - we could agree a fee, then not want to exercise it and back off him in the latter months...
    I don't think a player would have too much to do with an option to buy. That's between the two clubs, once they've agreed terms, the player then has to agree terms with the buyer. If after the year he doesn't want to join us, he simply doesn't agree terms, regardless what the two clubs have agreed.

We should definitely be looking for a potential buying price if the move works out, then work on winning him over for the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Lads whats the low down on Sahin I dont know a lot about him but I gather he would be to play as the attacking mid player?

Let's hope he's a big Chris De Burgh fan, that's all I'm gonna say...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

For anyone going to tonights match in Belfast, team sheet below.

A0KunwLCUAA-mvO.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement