Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Kess73 wrote: »
    Just to throw it out there and run it up the flagpole. :p

August 31st rolls around and by midnight we have ended the summer with

Agger staying

New signings

Borini
    Allen
    Sahin (on loan or better)
    Dempsey
    Tello (personally I don't think we have a chance at all with this one, and I really don't rate the guy)
    Back up full back

Out

Maxi
    Kuyt
    Doni
    Carroll
    Adam

Nobody takes Cole

What would the general feeling be amongst people at such a summer?

Ok my views would be:

1) To be honest I think Agger will stay alright after City refuse to pay £27m.
    2) Tello is a bit shy according to Balague so would be hesitant on a move abroad and i think he's a bit too light for England. In saying that, the €4m deal being quoted wouldn't be bad for an impact sub type player.
    3) Dempsey will sign eventually. Its just being delayed and eventually he'll tell the owners he wants to leave to push the move on.
    4) Don't think we'll sign a back up full back, unless its some random guy I've never really heard of :P We've got plenty of cover for right back anyway.
    5) Carroll won't leave. I'm fairly sure of it at this stage.

So all in all, with those ins and outs I don't think we'd have improved an awful lot as we'll be lacking in depth for certain positions (except centre mid). If Dempsey and Sahin sign, Adam leaves and Carroll and Agger stay, it'll be a more accurate and slightly more positive outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Grayditch wrote: »
    That could be a whole lot worse, to say the least. I'd be put off by losing Carroll before this season a bit, though, but if that could be the deal as a whole, yeah. I'd be happy.

I'd agree, but I think if Carroll goes (and we know he won't go on loan), we need another striker. Luis and Borini would be our only true strikers, Stevie and Dempsey as deep-lying. Maxi, Bellers and Kuyt all gone. I think neither Sahin or Tello is a replacement for Andy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

tok9 wrote: »
    I would be pretty happy except for we wouldn't have replaced Carroll for anyone. At the moment we should probably be getting a striker even with Carroll staying.

If I was just looking at the transfers in, I'd be saying excellent summer though. I'd bite someone's hand off if we got Sahin and Dempsey in anyway!

Borini would be Carroll's replacement imho, and also the player that takes the striker role when Suarez is not in it.

Last season we had Suarez and Carroll as our main two frontmen. This season I see Suarez and Borini as the main two. If Carroll goes, then maybe pick up a decent journeyman striker to create some extra short term cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Do people think the mentioned transfers would be enough for a serious top 4 challenge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Agger staying

New signings

Borini
    Allen
    Dempsey
    Tello (personally I don't think we have a chance at all with this one, and I really don't rate the guy)
    Back up full back

Out

Maxi
    Kuyt
    Doni
    Carroll
    Adam

Nobody takes Cole

If Carroll has gone to Newcastle, then I wouldn't be very happy.

budgemook wrote: »
    Do people think the mentioned transfers would be enough for a serious top 4 challenge?

I think that depends on Arsenal, and how they settle with so many new attackers. They look to have bought well, but no guarantee that they will all settle, and without RVP, they have a big goals gap to fill.

I think we can get the better of Spurs, and I think the top 3 is probably settled, except the final order...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Our year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Agger staying

New signings

Borini
    Allen
    Dempsey
    Back up full back

Out

Maxi
    Kuyt
    Doni
    Carroll
    Adam

Nobody takes Cole

Am i the only one who heard Big Sam wants to take Cole back to West Ham? I

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

murpho999 wrote: »
    So if we hold on to Agger and end up with.

Allen
    Borini
    Tello
    Sahin

Possibly Dempsey.

Would we agree that our squad is improved over last season?

Anyone who says no is mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Twitter says he's now lost interest in the Rafaello and Tofifee and will buy some Werthers Original back in England.

can we afford the "English sweet" tax on them though? Well overpriced imo....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I must say people are under rating Tello big time.

I would love to see him sign but I don't think it is going to happen, as the rumour is he seems to be a bit of a shy guy, and its probably a season to early for his move .

But for £4mil he would be an absolute steal.

Am i the only one who heard Big Sam wants to take Cole back to West Ham? I

Nope, but I just don't believe that any club would pay £6m for a player like Cole as well as come close to his massive wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I really don't know what to think about the Sahin deal. Would be fantastic if its true but I'm very reluctant to get my hopes up.

Can't wait for the football to start.

Nope, but I just don't believe that any club would pay £6m for a player like Cole as well as come close to his massive wages.

If I woke up in the morning to find out Joe Cole had signed for West Ham for £6m I'd laugh myself sick.

Ayre would be forgiven for all his sins for negotiating that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Agger staying

New signings

Borini
    Allen
    Dempsey
    Back up full back

Out

Maxi
    Kuyt
    Doni
    Carroll
    Adam

Nobody takes Cole

B8mDT.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Agger staying

New signings

Borini
    Allen
    Dempsey
    Back up full back

Out

Maxi
    Kuyt
    Doni
    Carroll
    Adam

Nobody takes Cole

Bit of a failure of a transfer window there.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Why are people talking about wanting £6m for Cole?! Just let the ****er leave :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Don't agree top 3 is settled. Matteo is a spoofer and they look like they're going to be playing dreadful ball this year. Hazard doesn't look like he's going to be an instant hit either. Not saying he won't be good but it's going to take him time if the Community Shield is anything to go by. There are 2 spots there for the taking IMO and it's us, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs that can take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't agree top 3 is settled. Matteo is a spoofer and they look like they're going to be playing dreadful ball this year. Hazard doesn't look like he's going to be an instant hit either. Not saying he won't be good but it's going to take him time if the Community Shield is anything to go by. There are 2 spots there for the taking IMO and it's us, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs that can take them.

So Hazard plays bad in one game and now he's not settled and needs time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Borini would be Carroll's replacement imho, and also the player that takes the striker role when Suarez is not in it.

Last season we had Suarez and Carroll as our main two frontmen. This season I see Suarez and Borini as the main two. If Carroll goes, then maybe pick up a decent journeyman striker to create some extra short term cover.

If we keep Carroll then it's ok I think. But you have to remember if Carroll goes we only have 2 strikers in Saurez and Borini, we lost kuyt too.

Any kind of long term injury to either would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I have a feeling he might take a bit of time to adjust to the premier league aswell...also think/hope his antics will take a bit of heat off Suarez in the media too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I have a feeling he might take a bit of time to adjust to the premier league aswell...also think/hope his antics will take a bit of heat off Suarez in the media too.

I think Suarez should just stop any antics and make sure the only media attention he receives is about his football and goals.

That will silence any critics or boo-boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Every transfer is a gamble he could hit the groung running like Torres did or he could be like Drogba in his first season

• Advertisement

Don't think he will take too long to get up to speed. Can see him settling faster than Mata did, and having a bigger impact.

Lads I haven't watched us play since Rodgers took over, has he managed to get us playing some nice football so far?

Is Agger going a formality? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

yes

no

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think Suarez should just stop any antics and make sure the only media attention he receives is about his football and goals.

That will silence any critics or boo-boys.

Quite frankly, f*ck 'em. I hope he gets even more annoying to opposition fans, although without the whole racism trial thing happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

no not a formality - if city meet our asking price which is rumoured to be 24m-27m then yeah it probably is. Maybe 50/50 at the moment who knows its all gossip - but there is certainly interest there from city.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Why are people talking about wanting £6m for Cole?! Just let the ****er leave :confused:

That's what was reported. I was merely saying I would be in an inconsolable fit of laughter if someone was to pay it.

I agree, let him go for as little as it takes.

I think you are underestimating them. They had a man sent off, they have a stable back 5, and they have added Oscar, Hazard and Marin to Mata, Ramires, Torres, Lampard and a number of strong defensive CMs. Talent alone will win them a lot of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have a look in the Chelsea thread and there's a fair bit of hair pulling regarding the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

What "antics" can we expect from Hazard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm a little concerned that all our eggs seem to be in the one basket for the remaining time in this window.

If the Sahin-Tello-Dempsey deals don't happen (very good chance by the way) what next ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Vicxas wrote: »
    Awh i can feel LL's imminent approach with a down to earth statement!

Quick someone give me some la la la im not listening ear muffs.

I'm gonna go with this one

216974.jpg

feel free to use any of the others attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

In terms of midfield/attacking options
    Carroll --> Borini
    Maxi --> Sahin
    Kuyt --> Dempsey
    Bellamy --> Tello
    Adam --> Allen
    Aquilani & Cole --> don't even bloody need replacing

would be a major improvement on our final third - the one area we struggled most in last season. We should have much more creativity. I'd have a concern that we still wouldn't have a prolific goalscorer though, hoping Borini & Suarez could provide the bulk of the goals & the others to chip in with their fair share.

Also, I'd be hoping that if we sold Carroll for £19m+ that we we would actually be able to afford another striker in addition to the above list. I know we haven't generated much by way of transfer fees for the players we have sold but it has to have knocked a huge chunk off the annual wage bill.

Bellamy & Kuyt were occasionally considered strikers, but really we can only consider Borini & Suarez as strikers now (assuming Carroll sold, as above), and 2 strikers is not sufficient depth in the squad for that position to be going into the new season with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Seamu$ wrote: »
    In terms of midfield/attacking options
    Carroll --> Borini
    Maxi --> Sahin
    Kuyt --> Dempsey
    Bellamy --> Tello
    Adam --> Allen
    Aquilani & Cole --> don't even bloody need replacing

This would also be a hugely lower wage bill for the club.

This might sound abit ridiculous but Kevin Doyle as a back up striker with his amazing work rate to me wouldn't be a bad idea. Would love an irish player back at Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

NEDDURC wrote: »
    This would also be a hugely lower wage bill for the club.

This might sound abit ridiculous but Kevin Doyle as a back up striker with his amazing work rate to me wouldn't be a bad idea. Would love an irish player back at Liverpool!
    Shtop, we have enough players in low single figure goalscoring terms without adding more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Oh ya, I forgot bellamy as a striker too so if Carroll leaves that's 3 strikers gone and 1 in.

We complained about our options last season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

637177593.jpg?key=460287&Expires=1344956833&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=NcC5WIsnTo1viT3dqJirE6S2EapSYiuTe9PfoXGEHu843sk4g68gfJcISjToPtJZhh1D-7HWHrfqI9EMS8QD2xMXjtqH9p8oQFURxRo0KziB8YxjMpF3FuR8-cmTY~CUpfbOmIEHVR7ywRVYGSwKJjv1ULUk-mcp039XAyJoPKU_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What "antics" can we expect from Hazard?

He appears to go down a bit easy, and we all know how the English media hate foreign players soiling their pitches with that sort of behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I doubt caroll is leaving anymore, hasent been any talk/rumour of it in about a week?

Oh ya, I forgot bellamy as a striker too so if Carroll leaves that's 3 strikers gone and 1 in.

Tello can play as a winger or as a wide forward like Bellamy did.

So if we say Borini for Carroll and Tello for Bellamy, then we are down one player who can play as a striker or as a wide player, but if Dempsey came in and got goals then it could be argued that he covered that loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Agger staying

New signings

Borini
    Allen
    Dempsey
    Back up full back

Out

Maxi
    Kuyt
    Doni
    Carroll
    Adam

Nobody takes Cole

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Time to start placing bets on what he buys in duty free. Should get a poll going for it.

Cigarettes
    Booze
    Eau de Toilette
    Toblerones
    Electronics

7g5z8.jpg

Leiva wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned that all our eggs seem to be in the one basket for the remaining time in this window.

If the Sahin-Tello-Dempsey deals don't happen (very good chance by the way) what next ?

Why lump them all in together? I am sure they have other irons in the fire, but these are very much the primary options. So we'll know about Sahin and Tello this week, more than likely, and if either comes a cropper, we have 2 more weeks to do something else. Or we rely more on Hendo, Downing, Suso, Pacheco, Cole and Sterling.

He appears to go down a bit easy, and we all know how the English media hate foreign players soiling their pitches with that sort of behaviour.

Depends on the club that player plays at though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

I would also like to see Carroll stay on and get a few chances to show us if he can adapt. He scored a lovely goal against Bayer and his form is trending upwards (ok, he did start from a low base and his form could hardly have got worse ;))

That said, Rodgers 4-3-3 doesn't need 3 out and out strikers. Gerrard, Downing, Shelvey, Sterling, Morgan and others could all possibly play as one of the 3 front men (with Suarez and Borini being guaranteed the other two spots if fit and firing well). If either of Ramierez, Tello, or Johson were signed they could also play in that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I'm not sure you can think about strikers in the same way this year.

We look to be playing a 4-3-3. So Downing, Gerrard and Sterling could now be classed as strikers in that front 3. If we sign Dempsey he would be too. Suarez and Borini could swap the central role of the 3. I definitely think we need another out and out striker though.

Kevin Doyle had a good scoring record for Reading - Wolves were crap but he was by far a standout for them. I think at a better club with more chances he'd do well. Not likely to happen but just mentioning it as he'd fit the Rodgers mould somewhat for workrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Right lads I think we've all creamed ourselves enough today at the thought of sahin and et al arriving.

Probably best to calm down (insert mustached scouser picture here) and wait and see as its quite possible that none of it will happen or some arsenal/spurs jerkoff will hi jack some of our moves.

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams

W.B. Yeats

:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement