Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Kevin Doyle? Kevin fúcking Doyle, my good lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'd cry if Doyle came anywhere near the club tbh.

I think Llyod might actually go on a rampage if it were to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Doyle? We could just keep Carroll who's a much better player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

NEDDURC wrote: »

Kevin Doyle had a good scoring record for Reading - Wolves were crap but he was by far a standout for them. I think at a better club with more chances he'd do well. Not likely to happen but just mentioning it as he'd fit the Rodgers mould somewhat for workrate.

:eek: He's been a busted flush for two seasons now, he's often "done a job" at Wolves but he really seems to have gone right over the top. Can't imagine anyone in the PL wanting him. Its hardly a surprise that its Jarvis and Fletcher some clubs are after, while no one has mentioned Doyler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd take Kevin Doyle.

But only if Roy comes back and signs him. For 12m. With Comolli doing the wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'd take Kevin Doyle.

But only if Roy comes back and signs him. For 12m. With Comolli doing the wages.
    No 50million and not a penny more:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

NO BRITISH PLAYERS DOYLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Doyle? We could just keep Carroll who's a much better player.

Carroll is clearly not a player that Rodgers likes. He isn't mobile enough to close down quickly where this is something Doyle does brilliantly. He played the lone striker at Wolves brilliantly at times. If we were talking about selling Carroll for £18m then less then maybe £6m on Doyle to me makes some sense as a back up striker.

I'm not saying it's likely to happen but he would fit in to what we are trying to do in terms of commitment and work rate when we don't have the ball.

I wonder if Carroll stopped dropping deep and pretty much did a Gomez on it could he ever be that type of player.

For me, he's a guy who wants to be involved in the play 30-40 yards out too much rather than solely concentrating on being the finisher to the move. Too often he is found passing the ball out wide and then when the winger gets to the byline to cross Carroll is still 25 yards from goal.

Thing is, he is probably a lot more capable than Gomez ever could be in terms of playing that deeper link up role. His technique is underrated and he has an eye for a pass at times.

If he is to stay I'll be very interested in seeing how he progresses when he has Rodgers constantly drilling into him (insert Alan Partridge gif here, oohhhh) how it is he should play, and basically forcing him into the penalty area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kess73 wrote: »
    Depends on the club that player plays at though.

As well as how foreign they look, but I didn't want to be labeled as an obsessive.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

gafferino wrote: »
    Right lads I think we've all creamed ourselves enough today at the thought of sahin and et al arriving.

Probably best to calm down (insert mustached scouser picture here) and wait and see as its quite possible that none of it will happen or some arsenal/spurs jerkoff will hi jack some of our moves.

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams

W.B. Yeats

:o

Very true, but figured I might as well look at the best case scenario as we have had many posts with the worst case scenario of

In
    Borni
    Allen

Out
    Agger
    Carroll
    Maxi
    Bellamy
    Kuyt
    Aquilani
    Cole

Very true, but figured I might as well look at the best case scenario as we have had many posts with the worst case scenario of

In
    Borni
    Allen
    Cole

Out
    Agger
    Carroll
    Maxi
    Bellamy
    Kuyt
    Aquilani
    Cole
    Suso
    Pacheco

That looks sufficiently worse again to me.

Knex. wrote: »
    when he has Rodgers constantly drilling into him (insert Alan Partridge gif here, oohhhh)

joe_allen_rodgers-450x263.jpg

838260d25bb7b960f94b993acd5b1575d32b8c22.jpg
    ... Lynn, these are sex people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Twitter machine is saying Sahin wants to join Arsenal but Mourinho wants him to go to yourselves.

Imo you need a winger much more urgently, otherwise you'll be playing Suarez out there a good bit and that leaves you pretty light up front if Carroll leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

cson wrote: »
    The Twitter machine is saying Sahin wants to join Arsenal but Mourinho wants him to go to yourselves.

Imo you need a winger much more urgently, otherwise you'll be playing Suarez out there a good bit and that leaves you pretty light up front if Carroll leaves.

I think it depends on which twitter machine you are looking at :)
    It's hard to know where he'll go but I saw someone reasoning that he'd like to play with Cazorla. Have they some friendship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Strikers are overrated, I can see us lining out with the worlds most fluid attacking midfield outside la Liga - Scousalona!

I see your game cson, trying to lure us into thinking we don't need Sahin so ye can have him all to yerselves.

I won't fall for it Ted!

P1ss off Arsenal, with your already damn tasty team, this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Tello can play as a winger or as a wide forward like Bellamy did.

So if we say Borini for Carroll and Tello for Bellamy, then we are down one player who can play as a striker or as a wide player, but if Dempsey came in and got goals then it could be argued that he covered that loss.

Yes in that scenario I would agree and I'd admit, with the formation we'll have this season only 1 main striker is needed in Borini or Saurez as both can play up front and on the wings.

Anyway, I don't think Carroll will be leaving during the window. All the talk has moved to Agger being sold so hopefully we keep both and get 2 of the 3 players being mentioned (Sahin and Dempsey preferably)

I see your game cson, trying to lure us into thinking we don't need Sahin so ye can have him all to yerselves.

I won't fall for it Ted!

He'd be a luxury buy for us if I'm being honest; we've a wealth of decent midfielders and Wenger's system only plays 3 at a time.

That being said; I'd take him and let that headache trouble the boss. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    Strikers are overrated, I can see us lining out with the worlds most fluid attacking midfield outside la Liga - Scousalona!

That is exactly the kind of headline I can see some hack putting in a paper if we have a very good game this season. :D

And worse, I am now singing away to the Freddie Mercury song but using Scousealona at the Barcalona bit. :D

He'd be a luxury buy for us if I'm being honest; we've a wealth of decent midfielders and Wenger's system only plays 3 at a time.

That being said; I'd take him and let that headache trouble the boss. :p

True. Ye need a versatile full back more than anything I would say. Who knows what Sagna will be like when he's back and Jenkison wouldn't fill me with a lot of confidence. Ye're not as light on the other side but ye could still do with an upgrade on Gibbs/Santos imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Leiva wrote: »
    I must say people are under rating Tello big time.

I would love to see him sign but I don't think it is going to happen, as the rumour is he seems to be a bit of a shy guy, and its probably a season to early for his move .

But for £4mil he would be an absolute steal.

I've seen every single seconds of first team game time he's had this past season, and numerous Barça B games. He's a speed merchant, with little tactical or game intelligence. Sure he popped up with the odd goal when Barça were already cruising, but he often took the wrong option when in and around the box. IMO, he's another version of Walcott, which leads me to believe that he'd be a poor signing.

Cuenca is the much more complete player of the duo who were both drafted into the first team at the same time. It also goes to show which one is rated higher that Cuenca is now registered with the first team squad, while Tello has gone back to the B team, where there is already a wealth of talent in his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I've seen every single seconds of first team game time he's had this past season, and numerous Barça B games. He's a speed merchant, with little tactical or game intelligence. Sure he popped up with the odd goal when Barça were already cruising, but he often took the wrong option when in and around the box. IMO, he's another version of Walcott, which leads me to believe that he'd be a poor signing.

But would it be a bad signing at £4M? Considering Walcott would cost 3 times that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

There was an article in AS Marca about this
    http://www.marca.com/2012/08/14/en/football/real_madrid/1344942553.html
    Both clubs accept Madrid's conditions
    Sahin wants to go to Arsenal, Mourinho prefers Liverpool

The offer from the Gunners and the chance to play alongside footballers like Robin Van Persie or even Santi Cazorla appeals to the Turk
    Liverpool's manager, Brendan Rodgers, had his introduction to the Premier League as coach of Chelsea's reserve team while Mourinho was in charge

Nuri Sahin may have the definitive answer on his future this very week. Everything points to the Turkish midfielder's destiny lying in the Premier League. The player who was voted Bundesliga Player of the Year only two seasons ago still has a good reputation in Europe.

Madrid wants the player to regain his confidence and form by playing regularly in a competitive league. They still have faith at the Bernabéu that he has a promising future; he is only 23 and has a contract until 2017. That is the reason Real Madrid is only considering a loan agreement or, otherwise, a transfer in which it maintains a repurchase option. There do not appear to be any obstacles to a deal as both Arsenal and Liverpool are well disposed to Madrids proposal.

Herein lies the problem, however. The player would prefer to join Arsène Wenger's team in Arsenal. The offer from the Gunners and the chance to play alongside footballers like Robin Van Persie or even Santi Cazorla, appeals to the Turk. However, Madrid's manager sees Liverpool as ideal. Mourinho has his reasons for that.

Liverpool's manager, Brendan Rodgers, had his introduction to the Premier League as coach of Chelsea's reserve team while Mou was in charge. He is someone Mou trusts and admires. "Liverpool will relive its glory days with Rodgers", he commented on learning of the Reds' new managerial appointment.

Can't see anything happening until after this week. Turkey are playing in Austria tomorrow. Maybe we could send Kess over with the Chloroform to speed things up :D

Grayditch wrote: »
    P1ss off Arsenal, with your already damn tasty team, this season.

I still wouldn't back them to win more than a coin toss....plus Van Persie still has to go.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I still wouldn't back them to win more than a coin toss....plus Van Persie still has to go.

And it's a big ask for three new attackers to all settle well, following on from Gervinho and Chamakh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I don't agree . I think Arsenal have doe some fantastic business this window and they will be there, or there abouts, come May 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

just to annoy those that hate hypothetical teams

I'd be happy with:

reina/NEW

skrtel/carra
    agger/coates
    Johnson/Kelly
    enrique/Robinson

Lucas/allen/spearing

Sahin/allen/henderson

Gerrard/Sahin/henderson/Shelvey

NEW/Downing/Suarez
    Borini/Tello/Downing/sterling
    Suarez/Carroll/Borini

With the likes of suso and pacheco being used when needed

OUT:
    Doni
    Adam
    Cole

IN:
    Sahin
    Tello
    New wingforward - personally I like walcott and there rumours he can be got, am not mad keen on dempsey for this position but if we got a good deal that included adam it would be ok. Still i'd prefer someone pacier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Reading the guardians daily email the fiver today and its talking about agger & sahin. It mentions that alonso has pesuaded sahin to ggo to liverpool, and then also mentions this:
    Inspired by Alonso's advocacy, Arsenal and Man City are understood to be trying to call on players to convince Sahin and Agger, respectively, to move elsewhere. They have had to rule out asking Mario Balotelli after it emerged that the Italian was instrumental in persuading Fabio Borini to join Liverpool by claiming they had the best fans in England.

Is that true about balotelli? I know its a satirical article, but that sentence seems honest rather than some joke.

We need to send him a basket of Toffifee, asap.

retalivity wrote: »
    Reading the guardians daily email the fiver today and its talking about agger & sahin. It mentions that alonso has pesuaded sahin to ggo to liverpool, and then also mentions this:

Is that true about balotelli? I know its a satirical article, but that sentence seems honest rather than some joke.

I've heard it a few times but at this stage, you can never really know the validity behind any article involving Balotelli.

True. Ye need a versatile full back more than anything I would say. Who knows what Sagna will be like when he's back and Jenkison wouldn't fill me with a lot of confidence. Ye're not as light on the other side but ye could still do with an upgrade on Gibbs/Santos imo.

Sagna will be the same as ever when he comes back, he's one of the best [if not the best] RBs in the league. Though I agree in saying that the depth is lacking beyond him. Boss thinks Gibbs is the real deal or else he wouldn't have let Clichy go as easy as he did. This season will tell.

Either would I, but I don't think anyone can argue that the current Arsenal team is heading into the season in way better shape than the same time last year even leaving the RvP issue aside.

Same as yourselves really; I think you're in much better shape than last season if you keep Agger. The key for Liverpool this year I feel will be prioritising competitions; the squad is too small to maintain a challenge on 4 fronts.

retalivity wrote: »

There is a fair chance they spoke on it, since they were at the Euros together, but do we really think that's how Mario feels?
    And Borini already knows England very well, hacing spent 4 years there!

And besides, it was clearly moreso about Borini's relationship with Rodgers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Pretty sure Borini mentioned in an interview he talked to Balotelli before joining the club.

Edit - Fabio Borini on coming to Liverpool: "I was talking to Balotelli about England, and he told me that Liverpool had the most exciting fans to play in front of"

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

haha, the whole letter Retalivity is talking about is worth posting.

Hooked like a pair of car keys at the end of a wily crook's fishing rod
    There must be something in the water in Liverpool. And no, we don't mean sharks or the odd discarded shopping trolley. The city could be twinned with Hogwarts, such is its ability to cast spells on people. Certain football folk, in particular, seem bewitched by the place, unable to leave even after the club has made like an office prankster and severed all ties. From Jan Molby to Didi Hamann and Rafa Benitez, former Reds eschew the charms of more sunny or fashionable destinations to remain on Merseyside and become honorary Scousers, even, in the case of Benitez, going so far as to regularly bivouac outside the Anfield employment office in the hope of one day being readmitted.

The latest player to get hooked like a pair of car keys at the end of a wily crook's fishing rod is Daniel Agger, who has declared his eagerness to pick his own pocket by turning down a potential move to Manchester City in order to carry on at Liverpool. "I'd rather stay," pleaded Agger as he prepared to tattoo the head of Jay Spearing on his heart. "I can't imagine playing for any other club in England," Agger is reported to have told Danish website politiken.dk before adding with a tear: "But that decision is not up to me. Liverpool can do a deal even though I have two years left on my contract, but I haven't changed my mind on the subject."

Agger is exactly the sort of ball-playing centre-back that Brendan Rodgers needs for his preferred style of play to flourish but the club may not be able to resist a bid in excess of £20m, some of which they could use to pay the wages of Nuri Sahin, the Real Madrid midfielder whom Liverpool hope to land on loan and who is reported to be close to rejecting Arsenal on the advice of Xabi Alonso, a reluctant departed Red who seems to want to continue living in Liverpool vicariously.

Inspired by Alonso's advocacy, Arsenal and Man City are understood to be trying to call on players to convince Sahin and Agger, respectively, to move elsewhere. They have had to rule out asking Mario Balotelli after it emerged that the Italian was instrumental in persuading Fabio Borini to join Liverpool by claiming they had the best fans in England. Arsenal and City, then, could soon find themselves in a position in which they never imagined they would be: looking for a phone number for Paul Konchesky.

Opr

anyone hear woy rambling on about formations in his latest interview :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

opr wrote: »
    haha, the whole letter Retalivity is talking about is worth posting.

Hooked like a pair of car keys at the end of a wily crook's fishing rod

Opr

I wouldn't worry too much about other clubs "discovering" networking: this type of thing requires genuine passion and love for the place that you've been in order to be in any way convincing. Hands up how many current or former Man City players, or Danish national players, would be able to speak about Man City with passion? Let alone convince someone to move there?

Arsenal's a different story, but feck it, they don't come as convincing as Alonso - he developed a lot at Liverpool, so he might be able to give compelling reasons.

Love the Balotelli/Borini thing though. I really enjoy Balotelli as a character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

NoelRock wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about other clubs "discovering" networking: this type of thing requires genuine passion and love for the place that you've been in order to be in any way convincing. Hands up how many current or former Man City players, or Danish national players, would be able to speak about Man City with passion? Let alone convince someone to move there?

Arsenal's a different story, but feck it, they don't come as convincing as Alonso - he developed a lot at Liverpool, so he might be able to give compelling reasons.

Love the Balotelli/Borini thing though. I really enjoy Balotelli as a character.
    Schemichal x2?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »

I like your thinking....Should get Dempsey too since Bellamy is gone.

Haha don't want him after that; seems like a bit of a dick :p

I completely forgot about that insane reaction by Dempsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

amiable wrote: »

That would be just amazing :cool:

Just checked some sources in Germany, who all quote Spanish media.

Hopefully, it's just about the small print now

Ooh, if we get Sahin, will be easier to get Hummels - ipso facto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I know many won't pay heed to it, but I can't help but notice several players specifically coming out to state Allen's class in training.

Many have been giving out about his fee, but just maybe it can be in someway justified. Maybe not the full some but a lump of it.

El Spearo wrote: »
    I know many won't pay heed to it, but I can't help but notice several players specifically coming out to state Allen's class in training.

Many have been giving out about his fee, but just maybe it can be in someway justified. Maybe not the full some but a lump of it.

link?

ohhhhhh and all your talk has made me even more excited about going to germany to see the missus next week....

220px-Toffifee_manekineko.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Dickerty wrote: »
    Ooh, if we get Sahin, will be easier to get Hummels - ipso facto.

Erm...no. Borussia just sold Tony da Silva to Duisburg, they might even need back up for Hummels ;)

On another note, Spox.com quotes Brendan Rodgers, if Arsenal tables 35 Million plus, Agger is gone :(

redzerdrog wrote: »
    link?

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/lucas-you-can-see-allen-quality

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7988627/Lucas-impressed-by-Allen

now these are the same story. I forgot it was Sterling and Kelly I had read about earlier...

but at the end of the day...i trust Lucas.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement