Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

redzerdrog wrote: »
    link?
    Eeer, I says that Allen is a canny player alreet.

- Andy Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

This place has been very positive today, where is Des with his daily does of reality check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Erm...no. Borussia just sold Tony da Silva to Duisburg, they might even need back up for Hummels ;)

On another note, Spox.com quotes Brendan Rodgers, if Arsenal tables 35 Million plus, Agger is gone :(

Since when are Arsenal after Agger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This place has been very positive today, where is Des with his daily does of reality check?

And we've been eating nothing but sweets and watching Sahin videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Erm...no. Borussia just sold Tony da Silva to Duisburg, they might even need back up for Hummels ;)

On another note, Spox.com quotes Brendan Rodgers, if Arsenal tables 35 Million plus, Agger is gone :(
    There is no way Wenger would pay 35 million for any player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Since when are Arsenal after Agger?

Sorry, my mistake. Of course, it's Man City. Am getting old :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Grayditch wrote: »
    And we've been eating nothing but sweets and watching Sahin videos.

What next, running with scissors :eek:
    The Sahin news seems to be taking pace, be great if it came through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Events over the last few days just re emphasise my notion of lack of direction and leadership at the top regarding football matters. I dont recall Gerrard ever speaking out in such a way even when H&G were around, i think someone may have had a word in his ear or maybe advised him (Rodgers?). Smells of tug-o-war there to me. As far as conspiracy theories go, i think they might just listen to Gerrard when it comes to selling Agger. I just cant believe they want to sell Agger in the face of recouping funds that were overspent in their view last year, it just makes no sense (unless you are lying about your level of ambition).

For me, any possibility of progress up front would be undermined by concession of goals and i would think plenty more would be conceded without Agger.

Also, how could we just sell Agger and not have another CB lined up? surely we would have to sign someone before he left or we would be taken to the cleaners by clubs whose players we target knowing we have just got the Agger money. Either that or Wisdom or someone steps up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

El Spearo wrote: »
    ohhhhhh and all your talk has made me even more excited about going to germany to see the missus next week....

I have a tray of Toffifee on my desk, just back from my hols - had 4 of them with my afternoon coffee! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

daithijjj wrote: »
    Also, how could we just sell Agger and not have another CB lined up? surely we would have to sign someone before he left or we would be taken to the cleaners by clubs whose players we target knowing we have just got the Agger money. Either that or Wisdom or someone steps up.

And then allow City to drop their price for Agger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

How do you know they didn't start to plan for that? We have been very quiet about our targets, and this would only be a conditional one, so quieter again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Events over the last few days just re emphasise my notion of lack of direction and leadership at the top regarding football matters. I dont recall Gerrard ever speaking out in such a way even when H&G were around, i think someone may have had a word in his ear or maybe advised him (Rodgers?). Smells of tug-o-war there to me. As far as conspiracy theories go, i think they might just listen to Gerrard when it comes to selling Agger. I just cant believe they want to sell Agger in the face of recouping funds that were overspent in their view last year, it just makes no sense (unless you are lying about your level of ambition).

At this stage time is running out for Gerrard. I can't imagine long term success is up at the top of his list of priorities, nor the merits of a "moneyball" sale on Agger.

I'd say he didn't need to be put up to it by Rodgers and knew well what he was doing imo.

Gerrard well knows that if we have any hope of getting CL football next season, Agger, along with all our best players, needs to stay.

And then allow City to drop their price for Agger?

Explain how you get to that, i need a laugh.

Dickerty wrote: »
    How do you know they didn't start to plan for that? We have been very quiet about our targets, and this would only be a conditional one, so quieter again...

We have had a good idea about targets long before they came to fruition, i havent seen us linked with a CB.

Knex. wrote: »
    At this stage time is running out for Gerrard. I can't imagine long term success is up at the top of his list of priorities, nor the merits of a "moneyball" sale on Agger.

I'd say he didn't need to be put up to it by Rodgers and knew well what he was doing imo.

Gerrard well knows that if we have any hope of getting CL football next season, Agger, along with all our best players, needs to stay.

I dont think he would wait this long to open up on a situation of a player leaving if there wasnt something else going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

We have had a good idea about targets long before they came to fruition, i havent seen us linked with a CB.

If you are talking about journos on twitter or paper articles when you say links, then Diego Godin has been linked. Somebody put up a link last week on here to an article linking him to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Some new quotes from Agger.
    Have you spoken with Rodgers?

Yes, I have spoken with him (Rodgers), anything else would have been strange," Agger told sporten.dk.

"We have talked about transfers, about the upcoming season and his ideas for the team and for me."

Asked if he believes Rodgers wants to sell him, Agger added: "No, absolutely not. But I do not think it is his call to make.

"I guess the owners are the ones to make that call, just like it is in any other company."

How do you feel about that?

- I okay with. I have no great need to know everything that is happening.

One of the arguments have been put forward as an argument that you'd like to change is that you could have a behøv to win titles. How much does it for you?

- Football is about winning, and so it is for me. How is it safe for many people outside of football. But as a kid was such that I would win, and that's it for me as a person today. So of course means the trophies something and I had not been if I had not believed that we could win. If no club wants me, and if I thought we could win something, so I was not. I've tried to win two trophies, and I've tried to be in a Champions League final. The things I would obviously like to try again, says Daniel Agger with regard to the Charity Shield title and the Carling Cup victory last year and the Champions League final you put for AC Milan in 2007.

What are these titles that you believe I can win with Liverpool? `

- This is about a building, and as long as there is progress, I see some possibilities, and if we can get in the Champions League again, we are also well advanced and I believe it is feasible, says Daniel Agger.

Opr

Kess73 wrote: »
    If you are talking about journos on twitter or paper articles when you say links, then Diego Godin has been linked. Somebody put up a link last week on here to an article linking him to Liverpool.

We have been linked with him for ages, long before City made any bid for Agger.

We have been linked with him for ages, long before City made any bid for Agger.

That is true, but there were fresh articles last week that tried to say that he was being looked at again as an Agger replacement.

Lazy journalism imho, and nowt more than a rehash of last summer's links.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    That is true, but there were fresh articles last week that tried to say that he was being looked at again as an Agger replacement.

Lazy journalism imho, and nowt more than a rehash of last summer's links.

Stick his name in twitter search bar and he is linked with Chelsea, Barca (as part of Tello deal), City etc. We have supposedly been watching him for a year.

Stick his name in twitter search bar and he is linked with Chelsea, Barca (as part of Tello deal), City etc. We have supposedly been watching him for a year.

I know. He was meant to have been the CB target last summer before we got Coates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good to see Dagger highlighting exactly where the problem lies concerning this transfer mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

So the owners want to sell Agger for a decent price. Rodgers says he wants him to stay.

A lot of people said Rodgers may just be a yes man for the new owners. I dont think that is the case....however, i find it worrying that the owners would go over the managers head like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think Agger will stay as the owners will realise that the will lose the goodwill of LFC supporters if they sell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Young Agger buy for 6 million, sell mature Agger for 20something million - isn't that money ball at its finest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If our owners decide to sell Agger having admitted numerous times they know nothing about football & that they should be kept away from transfers, knowing our manager wants to keep him, knowing that the player wants to stay, it'd be very worrying. It's starting to look less likely though now thankfully with time quickly running out.

mike65 wrote: »
    Young Agger buy for 6 million, sell mature Agger for 20something million - isn't that money ball at its finest?

**** moneyball....

Explain how you get to that, i need a laugh.

Well if we buy another defender for £10m or so then City can just play hardball knowing we have to get rid of Agger.

The owners don't have the first clue about football so shouldn't be making any footballing decisions.

Opr

• Advertisement

John Henry has said he admired Arsenal, who have routinely sold their best players and about to lose another. We will learn a lot about them and their ambition over next few weeks.

John Henry has said he admired Arsenal, who have routinely sold their best players and about to lose another. We will learn a lot about them and their ambition over next few weeks.

I might be able to swallow this if we had a proper director of football in place making these type of decisions but not John Henry.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

In farness Arsenal only starting that trend when they had a really good established squad/foundation.

Your right but the next few weeks will tell a lot, but money is on Agger staying . Any alternative would be suicidal in terms of owner/fan relations. and they know it.

Bit unfair as the players they sold, such as Henry, Fabregas, Nasri & now van Persie all wanted to go.

Can't really accuse them of cashing in.

All the criticism of the owners but in fairness they haven't done anything worse then listen to an offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

The principles of moneyball would advocate that, but you still have to analyse each possible transfer - you can't just go and sell every senior player and each transfer must be taken in context. If Liverpool were embedded in the top four or utterly out of it then the move would make more sense. As it is, he is the wrong player to gain funds with.

For me he's got to be one of the ones who Liverpool don't sell at all until the price not only exceeds the valuation, but does massively. They take a hit on the wages because he as a player will be crucial going forward. The only other 2 players I'd put in this bracket are Lucas and Suarez.

With owners who follow the sabermetric philosophy, you have to actively prepare the next generation. So play Coates and Kelly (Or Wisdom/Wilson/Sama/whoever else) in the EL and cups so they have more game time under their belts. And Robinson, Suso, Shelvey, Sterling, Tex, Adorjan, Pacheco etc. Does the club's future and the players good, and stands you in better stead if a ridiculous offer for Skrtel or Enrique or whoever came in.

So he means selling the best players and not winning anything for years:D

I'd be surprised if Rodgers didn't have the final say over Agger going.

So, taking the Agger saga as an example....if the owners (who know very little about football) get a bid for any player...if they see it as a good deal (with their limited knowledge on football), they will take it, despite a manager they hired saying he wants to keep that player. So any of our players will leave at a price deemed fit by people who know little about football but a lot about making money. Hmmm....

I'd be surprised if Rodgers didn't have the final say over Agger going.

I'm more surprised that he openly said he want Agger to stay, leaving the blame entirely at the owners door. Ballsey from a so called yes man....or as LL called him, a second hand car salesman......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Lads slightly off topic. Who puts the match threads up for us. I did up a couple of match template's but don't want to step on anyone's toes regarding starting a match thread ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

G.K. wrote: »
    The principles of moneyball would advocate that, but you still have to analyse each possible transfer - you can't just go and sell every senior player and each transfer must be taken in context. If Liverpool were embedded in the top four or utterly out of it then the move would make more sense. As it is, he is the wrong player to gain funds with.

For me he's got to be one of the ones who Liverpool don't sell at all until the price not only exceeds the valuation, but does massively. They take a hit on the wages because he as a player will be crucial going forward. The only other 2 players I'd put in this bracket are Lucas and Suarez.

With owners who follow the sabermetric philosophy, you have to actively prepare the next generation. So play Coates and Kelly (Or Wisdom/Wilson/Sama/whoever else) in the EL and cups so they have more game time under their belts. And Robinson, Suso, Shelvey, Sterling, Tex, Adorjan, Pacheco etc. Does the club's future and the players good, and stands you in better stead if a ridiculous offer for Skrtel or Enrique or whoever came in.

Well if it was a case of sell Agger for 22+ million cash and buy Godin for about 12 million, that would be decent business as far as I can see for FSG, no question.

NukaCola wrote: »
    I'm more surprised that he openly said he want Agger to stay, leaving the blame entirely at the owners door. Ballsey from a so called yes man....or as LL called him, a second hand car salesman......

I'm sure the owners are happy to take the blame. I doubt they give much of a toss what the fans will think if they sell Agger. Rodgers said himself in the first interview, every play has a price an I'll be surprised if he feels Aggers is beyond £27m. It's a pretty good price for him and I'd question anyones sanity who disagreed tbh.

Lads slightly off topic. Who puts the match threads up for us. I did up a couple of match template's but don't want to step on anyone's toes regarding starting a match thread ??

Anyone can start a match thread .

If you didnt start it the maybe PM the OP with the URL's of the images to add.

They didn't care what the fans thought when they sacked Kenny so why would they care about selling Agger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Leiva wrote: »
    Anyone can start a match thread .

If you didnt start it the maybe PM the OP with the URL's of the images to add.

ahh cool here are the images i was thinking of using ???

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7657/fixturelogowestbromvsli.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Maybe they are still in the loop with someone who advises them . Say for example they ave rodgers on line 1 and kenny on line 2.
    Kinda like abromivich does with ancellotti or grant or whoever he happens to be mates with at the time.
    Surely they would take advice on the money value of players not just from rodgers who probably never seen a 20 odd million deal happening first hand.

The day the owners get involved in player selection/transfers is the day I want them out .

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bit unfair as the players they sold, such as Henry, Fabregas, Nasri & now van Persie all wanted to go.

Can't really accuse them of cashing in.

All the criticism of the owners but in fairness they haven't done anything worse then listen to an offer.

It could be argued that those players left because there was no sign of the club showing ambition to win trophies anymore. Fair enough, they got nice money but for me the Arsenal crowd have been kept passive through CL qualification. If RVP had the season he normally has last year, ie average 23 league games, they would have been down where we ended up imho. Its ironic that Van Persie has chosen this summer to get his pay day sorted. Thats a recurring problem there and one we dont need. If you want to build a team, you dont want to do it every summer out of necessity rather than design. At least i wouldnt anyway and i wouldnt want to sit around looking at it happen all the time.

gaelicred wrote: »
    They didn't care what the fans thought when they sacked Kenny so why would they care about selling Agger

Not all the fans wanted Kenny to stay but I don't think any fans want Agger to go.

Also, it would send out the message that LFC is a selling club which would not be good.

Well if it was a case of sell Agger for 22+ million cash and buy Godin for about 12 million, that would be decent business as far as I can see for FSG, no question.

Lets say the quality of Agger in defense means we make CL football next year. If we downgrade to Godin it means we lose out on CL football. Is it still good business?

Opr

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement