Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

opr wrote: »
    Lets say the quality of Agger in defense means we make CL football next year. If we downgrade to Godin it means we lose out on CL football. Is it still good business?

Opr

How many points do you think Agger is worth over a good defender like Godin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm expecting good news on Thursday then :p
    @SiClancy: Thursday night on 5 Live Sport there's an hour long programme on The New Liverpool including interviews with Tom Werner & Brendan Rodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lets say the quality of Agger in defense means we make CL football next year. If we downgrade to Godin it means we lose out on CL football. Is it still good business?

Opr

Lets say the £27m is used to buy players who help us win the league, is it still good business? Yes, I think so. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

John Henry can smell my sac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

daithijjj wrote: »
    It could be argued that those players left because there was no sign of the club showing ambition to win trophies anymore. Fair enough, they got nice money but for me the Arsenal crowd have been kept passive through CL qualification. If RVP had the season he normally has last year, ie average 23 league games, they would have been down where we ended up imho. Its ironic that Van Persie has chosen this summer to get his pay day sorted. Thats a recurring problem there and one we dont need. If you want to build a team, you dont want to do it every summer out of necessity rather than design. At least i wouldnt anyway and i wouldnt want to sit around looking at it happen all the time.

I still think it was more the players pushing for the transfer than Owners forcing them out and also that RVP is the only one leaving because of the direction club was going.

Henry & Fabregas couldn't turn down Barcelona.
    Nasri massaged his ego and bank balance going to City.

Agree with your point about RVP though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

We all can. See a doctor please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Id say 9+. The thing is Godin might be a good defender. How quick he would settle in is the a huge factor. We have 3 difficult home games to start the season so Godin would have a baptism of fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How would you expect anyone to answer that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

murpho999 wrote: »
    Not all the fans wanted Kenny to stay but I don't think any fans want Agger to go.

Also, it would send out the message that LFC is a selling club which would not be good.

We already are - Alonso, Masc, Torres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

In a Rodgers system with our wing backs pushed right up and one of the centre backs having to play an awful lot of football with the ball at his feet. A fit Agger over the course of the season will be worth a hell of a lot imo. I think if Rodgers was drawing up a list of centre backs he could have for his system from any team in the world Agger would be in the top 5.

My point though was more that it's a very complex decision which should be being made by people who really understand football. Not John Henry looking at the fact we can get X amount of money, which will mean we can replace with Y and have Z left over.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Opr

Pointless, impossible to debate hypotheticals are not my bag.

Lets say the £27m is used to buy players who help us win the league, is it still good business? Yes, I think so. :pac:

You don't have £27m. You've at most £15m once you buy a replacement for Agger. This will already have weakened the team as you're not going to find a player as good as Agger for £12m. So you're left with £15m which I don't think improves us enough to make the deal worthwhile.

Opr

mike65 wrote: »
    Pointless, impossible to debate hypotheticals are not my bag.

You're quite happy to throw out the pointless rubbish when it suits your idea that it makes good business sense. All I did was show we don't know that it will in the end.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You're quite happy to throw out the pointless rubbish when it suits your idea that it makes good business sense. All I did was show we don't know that it will in the end.

Opr

(you and few others really need to de-personalise these discussions)

I didn't say it was my idea of good business, I'd keep Agger. I was looking at this from FSGs point of view - Agger maximum value now, injury record, silly offers in the offing, why not cash in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The owners forfeited any control they had, or outside control, over Rodgers' transfer decisions when they agreed to not put a DOF in place imo.

Rodgers demanded full control and final say on transfers and they agreed, ditching their model, and handing him full reign.

This really shouldn't be the owner's decision to make.

For them to come in and dictate whether or not Agger should leave, when the manager specifically says he wants him, is wrong and could very well lead to a shitstorm backlash from the fans.

You'll certainly get a few numpties in Anfield with a "Yanks out" banner anyway.

You don't have £27m. You've at most £15m once you buy a replacement for Agger. This will already have weakened the team as you're not going to find a player as good as Agger for £12m. So you're left with £15m which I don't think improves us enough to make the deal worthwhile.

Opr

I don't think we need a replacement as good as Agger tbh. I'd be more than happy with someone on a level to Skrtel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

mike65 wrote: »
    (you and few others really need to de-personalise these discussions)

I didn't say it was my idea of good business, I'd keep Agger. I was looking at this from FSGs point of view - Agger maximum value now, injury record, silly offers in the offing, why not cash in?

Because the manager wants to keep him?
    Because the player wants to stay?
    Because they know nothing about football & have said that they should stay away from anything to do with transfers for that reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I don't think we need a replacement as good as Agger tbh. I'd be more than happy with someone on a level to Skrtel.

Which Skrtel? The one beside Agger or the other one without him who's nowhere near as good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

WTF :confused::confused::confused:

that is one of the most retarded statements I have ever read

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Which Skrtel? The one beside Agger or the other one without him who's nowhere near as good?

The one who'd look good beside anyone but Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

murpho999 wrote: »
    I still think it was more the players pushing for the transfer than Owners forcing them out and also that RVP is the only one leaving because of the direction club was going.

Henry & Fabregas couldn't turn down Barcelona.
    Nasri massaged his ego and bank balance going to City.

Agree with your point about RVP though.

The crux though is, that those players left. Arsenal will never know if they would have stayed if the club had showed ambition before it came to that. The basic point is, if you are young and talented and make the grade you end up leaving Arsenal at some point in or before your prime years. Nobody wants that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I think Rodgers has final say when it comes to transfers. He wants to keep Agger but if city come in with a bid over £27M he'd be tempted to sell because he thinks he could improve the team in a big way with the money. If Agger goes the owners take the blame, Rodgers gets the players he wants and keeps on side with the supporters.

Obviously this is all conjecture and I could be taking outta my ass but it's the only scenario that makes sense to me unless they have a Dof type figure in the background advising them on transfers.

CL7 wrote: »
    unless they have a Dof type figure in the background advising them on transfers.

Of course they do ;)

PA-9726450.jpg

Suso puts the reserves 1-0 against Crusaders. Kid is really doing his talking on pitch, has scored it every preseason game. Good experience for the lads as it's a sell out crowd of 13,000.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The crux though is, that those players left. Arsenal will never know if they would have stayed if the club had showed ambition before it came to that. The basic point is, if you are young and talented and make the grade you end up leaving Arsenal at some point in or before your prime years. Nobody wants that.

That has been the case over the last few years while the stadium was built and paid for. Hopefully that period is over and we can really benefit from the 60,000 seater stadium and move away from some of the poor sponsorship deals we've had during that period. This Summer has shown the first few signs of the change and although they weren't quick enough to change RVPs mind i'm quite optimistic that he'll be the last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Maybe that's why he wants you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

What kind of a statement is that? :confused:

Suso puts the reserves 1-0 against Crusaders. Kid is really doing his talking on pitch, has scored it every preseason game. Good experience for the lads as it's a sell out crowd of 13,000.

Opr

Talk on the twit that he won't agree a new contract, hence why back in reserves...

What kind of a statement is that? :confused:

I thought it was a pretty clear one. Not sure what difficulty you are having understanding it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Talk on Twitter?

If people are going to say this could ya please let us know who's tweeting it. Then we can make up your minds if theres any credibility to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

jenno86 wrote: »
    Talk on Twitter?

If people are going to say this could ya please let us know who's tweeting it. Then we can make up your minds if theres any credibility to it.
    A thousand times this.

Talk on Twitter?

I think it was Anfield Mole, who's been pretty spot on. And we know he only has a year left, so I am sure it's a priority after Skittles and Agger...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Opr

2-0 now at HT, thanks to an Adam Morgan tap in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Talk on Twitter?

LFC Globe says Dempsey fee is agreed, only waiting for Adam to sort out the rest of it. It also says Ballague info is spot on, whatever about Ballague, LFC Globe is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Here's Macca's latest post. pic.twitter.com/lNeG3YEm

A0SHBIqCMAAT2tv.png

Bring back Charlie Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

The one who'd look good beside anyone but Carragher.

I think that is a myth.

Just another stick people use to beat Carragher with.

MD1990 wrote: »

A0SHBIqCMAAT2tv.png

Who is Macca ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

MD1990 wrote: »

A0SHBIqCMAAT2tv.png

I can't stand the bloke who posted the pic on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Who is Macca ?
    dunno really
    but he is supposed to be reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Balls it seems the rumour about the witch being dead was false or premature .

Well I suppose hang in there you oul Hag til there is JFT96

#Thatcherstillalive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

LFC Globe says Dempsey fee is agreed, only waiting for Adam to sort out the rest of it. It also says Ballague info is spot on, whatever about Ballague, LFC Globe is good.

LFC Globe? Must give them a follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Macca would be Steve McManaman would it not?

Some business news regarding Standard Chartered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19253666

Standard Chartered agrees settlement with New York regulator

Standard Chartered has agreed a $340m (£217m) settlement with New York regulators that accused it of hiding $250bn of transactions with Iran.

The hearing that had been scheduled for Wednesday has now been adjourned.

The bank's chief executive Peter Sands has been in New York negotiating with the regulators.

The bank had admitted that some of its transactions did break US sanctions, but said that the amount totalled just $14m.

"The New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) and Standard Chartered Bank have reached an agreement to settle the matter raised in the DFS order dated August 6, 2012," a statement from the regulator's superintendent said.

"The parties have agreed that the conduct at issue involved transactions of at least $250bn."

A short statement from Standard Chartered simply confirmed a settlement of $340m had been reached.

"A formal agreement containing the detailed terms of the settlement is expected to be concluded shortly," it added.
    Close eye

According to the terms of the settlement, Standard Chartered will pay a "civil penalty" of $340m to the DFS.

What is Standard Chartered accused of? The BBC's John Moylan explains

It will also install a monitor for at least two years who will evaluate money-laundering controls at the bank's New York branch and report directly to the regulator.

"In addition, DFS examiners shall be placed on site at the bank," the statement said.

Finally, the settlement provided for permanent staff at the bank's New York office to audit any money-laundering controls.

The BBC's New York business correspondent Mark Gregory said the $340m was a "hefty penalty, but nothing like as hefty as it could have been" if the two parties had not negotiated a settlement. The DFS had, for example, talked of revoking Standard Chartered's New York banking licence.
    'Surprise'

Last week, New York's DFS alleged that the US unit of the bank had illegally hidden 60,000 transactions with Iran worth $250bn over nearly a decade.

It accused the London-based bank of being a "rogue institution" for breaking US sanctions against Iran.

Mr Sands said at the time that he was "completely surprised" by the ferocity of the DFS's attack, which he described as "disproportionate".

He did, however, admit that 300 transactions did break US sanctions.

"This was clearly wrong and we are sorry that they happened," Mr Sands said.

Some business news regarding Standard Chartered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19253666

Hope we wade in with statements on it as they did.

Macca would be Steve McManaman would it not?

I sincerely doubt he's waste his time posting on a crap website while he's living it up on a yacht in the Med

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Rumour on the Worldwide Web, delay in Charlie Adam agreeing terms with Fulham is that he is looking for a clause to be inserted into his contract.

He must be allowed a minimum of 10 'Skysports Passes' during every game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I wonder if the contract supposedly on the table for Agger has a large portion of his wages dependant on appearances.

With his injury record I wouldn't be surprised if FSG were playing hardball on a new contract. This time next year he'll be in the final year on his current deal, so then we'd really be like Arsenal. Now would be the time to sell if he wasn't willing to compromise on his wages.

• Advertisement

barcastuff are saying Tello will not join Liverpool

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement