Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Rumour on the Worldwide Web, delay in Charlie Adam agreeing terms with Fulham is that he is looking for a clause to be inserted into his contract.

"No more apples in the vending machine, please"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

This sahin stuff is a bit mad.....looking around the web (a bit pointless i know) arsenal fans very confident they'll get him. In fairness champs league surely makes them favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Some business news regarding Standard Chartered

Take my word for it, they are very lucky. The US Regulators are EXTRAORDINARILY tough when it comes to sanctions and potentially supporting rogue states. They could easily have lost their license...

Anyway, that is finance and this is football. Bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

How much would Dempsey cost with Adam thrown in? I'd have thought about £5/6 Million.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

gafferino wrote: »
    This sahin stuff is a bit mad.....looking around the web (a bit pointless i know) arsenal fans very confident they'll get him. In fairness champs league surely makes them favourites.

German media are very confident, that Nuri Sahin will join LIverpool on load. Two sides of the coin, I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Yeah think I just fell foul of the hype which I've tried to avoid. Back in my box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

amiable wrote: »
    barcastuff are saying Tello will not join Liverpool

Presume that means he has signed a new contract? Happy enough anyway. Guess Walcott interest will now be intensified. I wonder do we have any other targets beyond him if he signs a new contract.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

K-9 wrote: »
    How much would Dempsey cost with Adam thrown in? I'd have thought about £5/6 Million.

Whats that valuing Adam at?, i dunno. Dempsey only has 1 year left on his contract. Id say Adam plus 4m would be about right.

I hope we don't get Sahin.

HA. This way I win either way.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Whats that valuing Adam at?, i dunno. Dempsey only has 1 year left on his contract. Id say Adam plus 4m would be about right.

About the £6 Million or so we paid for him. Wouldn't want to pay more than £5/6 Million above that.

I'd be assuming if we go after Walcott we'll be looking to offload somebody, because I doubt the owners will be pumping £40-50 Million in overall.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I thought it was a pretty clear one. Not sure what difficulty you are having understanding it tbh.

I understand what you`re saying but not your reasoning behind it. Care to explain your thinking?

Grayditch wrote: »
    I hope we don't get Sahin.

HA. This way I win either way.

Why? He was one of Borussia Dortmund's key players, when they lifted the Bundesliga title in 2011. Just listened to one of them 'advisors' who promised the blue out of the sky, concerning his move to Madrid.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Why? He was one of Borussia Dortmund's key players, when they lifted the Bundesliga title in 2011. Just listened to one of them 'advisors' who promised the blue out of the sky, concerning his move to Madrid.

Ah, Jaysus man, stop wrecking my stupid plan to fool myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I wonder if the contract supposedly on the table for Agger has a large portion of his wages dependant on appearances.

With his injury record I wouldn't be surprised if FSG were playing hardball on a new contract. This time next year he'll be in the final year on his current deal, so then we'd really be like Arsenal. Now would be the time to sell if he wasn't willing to compromise on his wages.

So FSG reckon he is worth 27million yet they feel he should take a wage cut in order to stay with us?

That simply doesn't add up.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ah, Jaysus man, stop wrecking my stupid plan to fool myself.

First, I thought, you had money in the bookies ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I understand what you`re saying but not your reasoning behind it. Care to explain your thinking?

I don't think we need an excellent centre back to finish 4th, I think if we downgrade our centre back but upgraded our right winger we'd be better off. Also the fact that having a good centre back for a full season could arguable be better than having Agger for 25 games or so and Carragher/Coates for the rest of the season.

About the £6 Million or so we paid for him. Wouldn't want to pay more than £5/6 Million above that.

I'd be assuming if we go after Walcott we'll be looking to offload somebody, because I doubt the owners will be pumping £40-50 Million in overall.

I dont think Dempsey is worth that with one year left on his contract. That values him at 10-11m+ with one year left. He could join for half that in January or nothing in 9 months.

Maybe they will convert the decrease in exposure to wages into xfer funds and budget it in over years rather than financial years.

I see now we are supposedly offering a bigger % of Sahin's wages than Arsenal have offered according to Tony Barrett and thats putting us ahead of them for his signature for the year.

The Times - Nuri #Sahin is expected to decide whether to join #Liverpool or #Arsenal on a season-long loan from Real Madrid by the end of this week. It is believed that Liverpool are willing to pay a greater proportion of the midfield player’s wages than Arsenal, a factor that is likely to win favour with the Real hierarchy.
    Daniel Agger, the Liverpool defender, believes it will be the club’s owners rather than Brendan Rodgers, the manager, who decide whether he stays at Anfield or moves to Manchester City. Asked if he believes Rodgers wants to sell him, Agger said: “No, absolutely not. But I do not think it is his call to make. I guess the owners are the ones to make that call.”

Tony Barrett

Could still go either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jayob10 wrote: »
    So FSG reckon he is worth 27million yet they feel he should take a wage cut in order to stay with us?

Not a pay cut. Higher rate of wages for every game he plays, and his current rate of wages for every game he misses through injury is the rumour.

Lars1916 wrote: »

I think he was doing the reverse psychology thing for himself, if i say it wont happen, it will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

£14m
    I dont think Dempsey is worth that with one year left on his contract. That values him at 10-11m+ with one year left. He could join for half that in January or nothing in 9 months.

Maybe they will convert the decrease in exposure to wages into xfer funds and budget it in over years rather than financial years.

I see now we are supposedly offering a bigger % of Sahin's wages than Arsenal have offered according to Tony Barrett and thats putting us ahead of them for his signature for the year.

He'll go where he wants at the end of the day, Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Could still go either way.

Indeed, could be "Say Tello, Wave Goodbye"

He'd be on big wages I suppose so I'd assume they are prepared to splash out considering Kuyt, Maxi and Aqualani are gone.

Know what you mean regarding the budget, it's possible but the Agger/Carroll stories would make me think we do have a limit on spend, I'd have thought around the £30 Million mark myself, Allen, Borini, Tello and Dempsey would be around that.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Not a pay cut. Higher rate of wages for every game he plays, and his current rate of wages for every game he misses through injury is the rumour.

I can see why the club would offer that, last season was his first injury free season.

Ian Ayre has supposedly been in Liverpool all day so the reports he's in Spain look like rubbish.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

opr wrote: »
    Ian Ayre has supposedly been in Liverpool all day so the reports he's in Spain look like rubbish.

Opr

That the club tv studio rumour where he is meant to be for today and tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cristian-tello-scouting-report-a-guide-1261456

yes who is he, I know nothing of the man, yet apparently people
    saying omg omg we are signing Tello!!
    omg!
    Never heard of him,

Your instant-expert guide to the Barcelona starlet who's poised for a move to Liverpool, courtesy of our La Liga expert David Cartlidge

Did he put in a good word for us too? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It wouldn't be like Liverpool to pay over the odds in a loan deal would it

Yeah someone on rawk posted his sister works for LFCTV and he has been in the studio for most of today.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Sappy404 wrote: »
    I wonder if the contract supposedly on the table for Agger has a large portion of his wages dependant on appearances.

With his injury record I wouldn't be surprised if FSG were playing hardball on a new contract. This time next year he'll be in the final year on his current deal, so then we'd really be like Arsenal. Now would be the time to sell if he wasn't willing to compromise on his wages.

It adds up alright. FSG want to save money if they're to keep him, and make as much money as possible if they're to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

opr wrote: »

Yeah someone on rawk posted his sister works for LFCTV and he has been in the studio for most of today.

Opr

So how do we judge which random Internet post to believe??

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Dickerty wrote: »

We don't. We start a ten page debate over it, in which, three people get banned, one poster closes his/ her account and LuckyLloyd is told that he has "gone off the deep end" several times

Dickerty wrote: »

Well considering as Kess said it was where he was suppose to be today I think it's much more plausible that he's in Liverpool.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

"Nuri Sahin Fenerbahce" trending worldwide on twitter. I can't speak turkish but from what I gather, some people seem to think Fenerbahce may have snatched Sahin on loan at the last minute and will pay €1m to loan him. Didn't see that coming!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Indeed, could be "Say Tello, Wave Goodbye"

Good work. Do you work for a tabloid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Colemania wrote: »
    "Nuri Sahin Fenerbahce" trending worldwide on twitter. I can't speak turkish but from what I gather, some people seem to think Fenerbahce may have snatched Sahin on loan at the last minute and will pay €1m to loan him. Didn't see that coming!

Maybe we can get Dirk to tell Sahin how bad it is in Turkey since he left and that Liverpool is lovely this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

murpho999 wrote: »
    How many points do you think Agger is worth over a good defender like Godin?

How would you expect anyone to answer that?

Guys if anyone knows anything about baseball, this is a great question.

There's a great stat called wins above replacement that I have longed to be adapted to soccer. This is exactly the value to quote as the answer to that question, what is Agger 's points above replacement?

I'm pretty drunk but having gone to school in Boston and being a Red Sox fan, and remembering when FSG took over, I know that this currently undefinable stat, is a likely consideration for the owners.

I'm about 5 pages back on this thread so will pick up tomorrow when awake and sober, however I want more discussion on moneyball values and how they can maybe be translated to soccer. (baseball remains a superior sport, sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Placed on ignore :mad:

Edit: Not really, seeing as that's a breach of charter

8-10 wrote: »
    I want more discussion on moneyball values and how they can maybe be translated to soccer.

Ah no, please, we'll be good.
    (baseball remains a superior sport, sorry)

Dude...no..gif
    Sleep it off buddy, you don't know what youre saying.

HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S SAYING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Guys if anyone knows anything about baseball, this is a great question.

There's a great stat called wins above replacement that I have longed to be adapted to soccer. This is exactly the value to quote as the answer to that question, what is Agger 's points above replacement?

I'm pretty drunk but having gone to school in Boston and being a Red Sox fan, and remembering when FSG took over, I know that this currently undefinable stat, is a likely consideration for the owners.

I'm about 5 pages back on this thread so will pick up tomorrow when awake and sober, however I want more discussion on moneyball values and how they can maybe be translated to soccer. (baseball remains a superior sport, sorry)

1HDxY.gif.......

.....is you in this thread right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I want more discussion on moneyball values and how they can maybe be translated to soccer. (baseball remains a superior sport, sorry)

**** moneyball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Moneyball was a sheeite film so therefore its a load of dung, roll on saturday til we quieten the loudmouth that is Steve Clarke. He hasn't shut his mouth since he left the club

hope the sarcasm detectors are fully turned on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What is Paletta doing these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Augmerson wrote: »
    What is Paletta doing these days?

His career moved on nicely after he left us. Spent a few years at Boca, before signing for Parma 2 years ago. Been doing pretty well for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Today's Echo is saying that Sahin has informed Rodgers he wants to join Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Today's Echo is saying that Sahin has informed Rodgers he wants to join Liverpool

I'm not believing anything til I see a player at Anfield holding up a jersey.

Take yesterday for example. Lots of positive rumour about Tello, Sahin, Dempsey, Adam moving, Spanish meetings etc etc.

Just before midnight (counter rumour);
    Tello extends Barca contract
    Sahin going to Turkey
    Dempsey going to the wrong side of Liverpool.
    Adam holding up move away.
    Ian Ayre at LFCTV all day .
    :o

Duncan Jenkins: "Tello, its Sahin you're looking for"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Charlie Adam tweet last night "Thank u too all lfc fans for amazing tweets and support can't wait for start season not long now."

:eek:

Ben

Same echo article says we will look to tie both Agger and Skrtel down to long term contracts

Hammer blow: We'd have built a team around Carroll reveals Sullivan
    David Sullivan has revealed the truth about West Ham's £17million bid to sign Andy Carroll.

The Mirror revealed last month that the east Londoners were prepared to back Sam Allardyce by splashing out a staggering £100,000 a week to lure Liverpool striker Carroll to Upton Park.

Sullivan has confirmed Big Sam was desperate to build his team for the new season around the England striker.

The West Ham co-owner also admits Big Sam wanted Wolves winger Matt Jarvis - for whom the Hammers have had a £6million turned down - to provide the ammunition for Carroll.

Sullivan said: "I can only talk about this because it has been put in the public domain already.

"My manager wanted Andy Carroll, so we backed him.

"Andy was the perfect player for him and the style of football we play.

"We play a lot of high balls, a lot of crosses - quite exciting football, not just humping it but clever crossing - and Sam wanted Jarvis to supply the crosses because he is a fantastic crosser.

"We had a deal in place with Liverpool to borrow the player which automatically became a purchase if we stayed up.

"We hoped, as he had the same agent as our manager - a man we had done a lot of business with - and he was very friendly with Kevin Nolan, our captain, that Andy would want to come.

"But he really wants to stay at Liverpool. He believes that he will get back into the side by his performances - coming off the bench or for the reserves. He believes the manager will have to put him back in the side.

"But it's wrong to discuss what is in his mind. Only he knows that."

Carroll has been tipped for a move back to hometown club Newcastle, but Sullivan said: "We were paying all of his wages and a huge loan fee. Newcastle didn't even want to pay all of his wages.

"This is what we are led to believe. So Liverpool were not prepared to let him go to Newcastle. But it may all change. Who knows?"

Sullivan has since snapped up midfielder Alou Diarra for around £3million and admitted the funds earmarked for Carroll are now being used elsewhere.

He added: "It was a terribly expensive deal with the loan fee and with his wages, which were enormous - too much for a club like ours.

"But, as the manager really wanted him, we were prepared to pay it.

"Then there was a huge transfer fee which would have blown our budget for several years.

"So, as we buy players, the door shuts."

Opr

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement