Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

opr wrote: »

That sounds more like a "last chance before we spend the money" statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

I wouldn't believe a word out of that Sullivan's mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

BBC still running the rumours that Ian Ayre is in Spain tying up the deals for Tello And Sahin.

If this is true i would be very happy with our summer transfers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

@jeremy_LFC
    Good morning, lads. Nuri Sahin should be a #LFC player soon. Matter of 'when' now, and not 'if'.

Sappy404 wrote: »

loan , buy ?

and who is jeremy_lfc ??? some random tweeter ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Well ok I'm allowing myself to get excited now. Midfield options for next season are ridiculously good.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Keep Agger and get Sahin and that's 2/3 of our team in great shape imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Leiva wrote: »
    loan , buy ?

and who is jeremy_lfc ??? some random tweeter ?

He's some journo and blogger (Srijandeep Das), has been tweeting a lot on our targets, seems to show some inside knowledge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

opr wrote: »
    Well ok I'm allowing myself to get excited now. Midfield options for next season are ridiculously good.

Opr

Go on, say it. We're all thinking it. OUR YEAR!

• Advertisement

CL7 wrote: »

Dont say it you'll jinx us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

CL7 wrote: »

Someone is going to post it :P

scouseboombustcycle1.jpg

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

God damn it I'm getting excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is like Deal or No Deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Today's Echo is saying that Sahin has informed Rodgers he wants to join Liverpool

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/15/liverpool-fc-confident-of-signing-barcelona-s-cristian-tello-and-real-madrid-s-nuri-sahin-on-loan-100252-31624719/

LIVERPOOL FC are hopeful of clinching the signings of Nuri Sahin and Cristian Tello this week as Brendan Rodgers’ summer rebuild at Anfield gathers pace.

The duo would move to Merseyside on season-long loan deals, with Rodgers confident the signings can be clinched before the Reds open their Premier League campaign at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

Liverpool believe they have fended off interest from both Tottenham and Arsenal to sign Real Madrid midfielder Sahin.

The Turkish international has been told he is free to leave the club by Real boss Jose Mourinho and, having spoken to ex-Reds star Xabi Alonso, has informed Rodgers of his desire to move to Merseyside.

Liverpool aim to complete the formalities over the next 48 hours, and could introduce the 23-year-old to his new teammates this weekend.

The deal for Barcelona winger Tello should also go through shortly, with managing director Ian Ayre having flown to Spain to finalise negotiations.

The 21-year-old enjoyed a breakthrough season at Camp Nou last season, making 22 appearances under Pep Guardiola, and scoring seven times.

But with Guardiola having left, Tello has been informed by new Barca boss Tito Vilanova that first-team opportunities will be limited this season.

He was officially listed as a ‘B’ team player when the Catalans announced their squad for the upcoming campaign

Barcelona are likely to offer a new contract to the Spanish Olympic Games star, but they will be happy to assist the youngster’s development by allowing him to move to Merseyside on loan for the season.

Liverpool believe Tello’s pace, eye for goal and ability to play on either wing make him an ideal addition to a squad short on depth in wide areas.

Rodgers is eager to add depth to a squad that finished eighth last season, and has already signed both Fabio Borini and Joe Allen.

He said: “The reality is the club probably lacked depth last year. We need to make a few signings just to get back those numbers.

“I believe we will do. But they are specific targets we are after and I believe when we get those players in they will make a difference for us.

“Normally with good players, the transfer is complex.

"They are never easy.

“There’s no doubt we have work to do.

"We need to improve the group and we need to get some players in.

“We need to do that sooner rather than later.”

The arrival of Sahin, another central midfield player, in particular, could prompt a reshuffle of Rodgers’ squad.

He has already signed Joe Allen to play in that area, and has Lucas Leiva and Steven Gerrard fit and available, with Jay Spearing in reserve.

Jonjo Shelvey started the Europa League second-leg win over FC Gomel last week, with Jordan Henderson having begun the first leg in Belarus.

They expect to tie defender Martin Skrtel down to a new long-term contract soon, and will press on with plans to commit Daniel Agger to a similar deal, even in light of persistent interest from Manchester City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm eating a load of bacon, to cover my heart in grease, to soften the blow of learning he's going to big stupid Arsenal, Ramirez is going to Spurs, Tello is going nowhere and Agger will be sold.

And I really love bacon.

• Advertisement

Why is it all worded as a signing when its a loan deal ?

Once they spend some time at Anfield they wont want to leave :).
    Oh yeah Leiva. You want me to make up a sig for you :P

We are assuming it is a loan, but you never know - if Jose has decided he doesn't rate him, and he's likely to be around for a few years, then maybe Sahin will cut his losses and move permanently. Or on loan with a view to permanent. I would suggest we would want the latter given his much talk there is about not over-spending...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The Times paywall is down for anyone that is interested

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Once they spend some time at Anfield they wont want to leave :).
    Oh yeah Leiva. You want me to make up a sig for you :P

If you do, make it a bit less bright than your own please ;)

• Advertisement

Spurs are in the background ready to pounce .

Des is in the background ready to laugh

I am in the background ready to slice wrists if above happens .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Going to bed. Praying when I come back online in 8 hours or so that there's 20 pages of joyous reaction, and not 20 pages of teeth gnashing.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Going to bed. Praying when I come back online in 8 hours or so that there's 20 pages of joyous reaction, and not 20 pages of teeth gnashing.

You really need to post a pic of your face if we sign Sahin .
    That is something i wanna see . :P

Do we expect it to be done today? Could he play saturday......?

ERMAGERD!!!

amiable wrote: »
    The Times paywall is down for anyone that is interested

before it goes back up

Rogers and the relative lack of money when outside the CL

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Instead there will probably be 2 pages of omgz I are so excited, followed by 2 pages of I guess it's not going to happen today then.

5starpool wrote: »

Is mine really that bright :o.
    Are you sure you dont have the brightness up to the MAX on your screen :D

mike65 wrote: »
    before it goes back up

Rogers and the relative lack of money when outside the CL

Here you go Mike :)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article3508015.ece

Elite exile hampering Liverpool, says Rodgers

Tony Barrett
    Published at 12:00AM, August 15 2012

Brendan Rodgers believes that Liverpool can no longer compete for players at the top end of the transfer market because of their continuing absence from the Champions League.

The new season will be the third in succession that Liverpool have been on the outside of Europe’s premier club competition looking in while others earn lucrative royalties from the money-spinning league. Their exclusion this season is having a negative effect on the new manager’s spending power.

In the past 12 months, Liverpool have made a concerted effort to rationalise their wage bill with a number of high earners, including Dirk Kuyt, Maxi Rodríguez, Alberto Aquilani, Fábio Aurélio and Craig Bellamy, being allowed to leave.

Although Fabio Borini and Joe Allen have been signed at a combined cost of about £26 million, Rodgers is aware of the need for the books to be balanced if he is to continue to replenish the squad.

He maintains that financial responsibility is not a problem for him, however, insisting that high-quality players are available from less fashionable clubs and sometimes at more accommodating prices as he seeks to oversee a patient rebuilding process.

“I am very much conscious of the value and worth of players,” the manager said. “There’s no doubt there are top players who have earned every single penny they get, but you can also get certain types of players for less.

“The problem sometimes is there’s a snobbery towards players at a lesser club. It’s an ignorance. You get scouts at a big club who see a young player and think maybe he can’t play. Then he will go to a big club and all of a sudden they want him. It’s about making those decisions earlier.

“Look at the squad here and there aren’t too many who have dropped from heaven to play for Liverpool. A lot have come through lower clubs, made their way and now they’re making their name at Liverpool.

“There’s no doubt I want to get the best players I possibly can and that costs money. But when you’re not in the Champions League, there is a restriction in terms of what you can spend — and I know that.

“I knew I wasn’t going to have a lot of money. To compete straightaway and affect it immediately, you would have to spend millions upon millions and the club aren’t going to do that at this stage.

“You have to spend money, but not throw it around. There has to be a strategy. You have to have a philosophy. You have to define a way of playing and winning games.”

Liverpool are continuing their attempts to sign Nuri Sahin and Cristian Tello on loan from Real Madrid and Barcelona, respectively, while reports in Spain have also linked them with a possible move for Fernando Amorebieta, the Athletic Bilbao defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

if those in charge of communications have done nothing else, they've certainly managed expectations, if many more deals go through that'll be out the window.

it's our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Is it not a bit hypocritical saying we've no money and won't "throw it around" after spending £15m on Joe Allen...?

• Advertisement

Any better :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Is it not a bit hypocritical saying we've no money and won't "throw it around" after spending £15m on Joe Allen...?
    I think Rodgers focus is on getting quality and value for money - he's worked with Allen before and so we can assume he is fine with paying that price for him - similar to Borini. He obviously feels he needs those players in his squad to do well and has paid the price required to acquire them.

What he's stating really is that we're not going to pay over the odds and blow money on marquee signings like Torres etc. - we'll be looking for value, similar to the model currently being employed at Newcastle.

That's what I'm taking from it anyway

BBC radio 5live have a special about LFC on Thursday at 9.30,

Ian Payne presents a special look at Liverpool FC, including interviews with the club owners, new manager Brendan Rodgers and the players.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_five_live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not if they believe that they're getting value for money, and you're totally discounting wages too.

For example. when RVP goes to Utd, people here will no doubt compare his transfer value to some Liverpool players but forget he's on about £150k a week which is about £39m over 5 years.

Wages is certainly a part of it, but the difference in paying 50K a week or 80K is only £1.5M, not a huge figure. But certainly, over the life of the contract, it counts for quite a bit. A good accountant would definately tell you to pay more now for the lower earners, since it all gets spread over the 5 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

lads calm down....no one has signed on loan or otherwise yet....lets not do this to ourselves.

Any better :P

It's mostly the mass of red writing which causes quick scrolling while at work in case people notice the colours, although this is my last week in this job so I don't mind too much now about that. When your picture was ginormous a few weeks ago though it took up a lot of real estate. Also, I'm a grumpy bollox who likes to complain, so that has to be factored in when listening to me grumble as well ;)

It's mostly the mass of red writing which causes quick scrolling while at work in case people notice the colours, although this is my last week in this job so I don't mind too much now about that. When your picture was ginormous a few weeks ago though it took up a lot of real estate. Also, I'm a grumpy bollox who likes to complain, so that has to be factored in when listening to me grumble as well ;)

Fixed u grump :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dickerty wrote: »
    Wages is certainly a part of it, but the difference in paying 50K a week or 80K is only £1.5M, not a huge figure. But certainly, over the life of the contract, it counts for quite a bit. A good accountant would definately tell you to pay more now for the lower earners, since it all gets spread over the 5 years anyway.

Always amazed how people just disregard amounts as trivial.

Multiply that by a few players and then by 5 years and it's a lot of money.

80k is a 60% increase over 50k so it certainly is a huge figure.

Can't remember the last time I got a 60% pay rise.

• Advertisement

gafferino wrote: »
    lads calm down....no one has signed on loan or otherwise yet....lets not do this to ourselves.

Agreed. It's unlikely we'll get Tello and Sahin, and keep Agger.

I'm assuming Agger will go until deadline day passes or he signs a new deal. Remember Meireles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Agreed. It's unlikely we'll get Tello and Sahin, and keep Agger.

I'm assuming Agger will go until deadline day passes or he signs a new deal. Remember Meireles?

Meireles wanted out though.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Always amazed how people just disregard amounts as trivial.

Multiply that by a few players and then by 5 years and it's a lot of money.

80k is a 60% increase over 50k so it certainly is a huge figure.

Can't remember the last time I got a 60% pay rise.

I am clearly not disregarding it, as I said it does add up over the full term of the contract. But you do still typically pay transfer fees up front (or mostly early on), so it is not comparing apples to apples that 20K less a week over 5 years is the same as a £5M reduction in transfer fee. The wages could be renegotiated if he plays well or attracts outside interest (always likely to go up instead of down), or he could be sold within the 5 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I hope that the club are sensible enough not to sell Agger at the last minute, if it means we have to scramble around to try and find a replacement on transfer deadline day. That's just asking to be bent over by other clubs.

If Agger goes, we absolutely need a new central defender, but all we've heard is of some tenuous links to Godin. Considering the amount of noise surrounding our moves for Dempsey, Tello, Sahin, Allen and Borini, I wouldn't be too confident that we've got a replacement for Agger lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Neil Jones has an article in the Echo today about Tello.

Seems to be very sure of Tello joining, as he says things like
    Reds fans seated in the lower Centenary or Main Stands can expect plenty of excitement

and
    once the Spaniard settles into life on Merseyside.

Seems to be a very blatant lack of ifs and maybes.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/15/profile-liverpool-fc-hope-barcelona-s-cristian-tello-can-become-the-wing-wizard-they-have-been-lacking-video-100252-31624715/

Jones has also been confident/cocky enough to put in print that Rodgers is confident of signing both Sahin and Tello (or at least having the deals rubber stamped) by Saturday of this week.

Is still just a journo piece, but the lack of ifs and maybes is a little interesting given the paper's links with the club.

Anyone wrote: »
    Meireles wanted out though.

I think Agger could still leave on deadline day. I don't trust FSG/Rodgers enough to turn good money down just because we won't have time to replace him. They might see Kelly, Skrtel, Carragher and Coates as good enough cover until January or maybe even next Summer.

For the record I hope they don't, but I've been let down by the club so often in the last few years when my hopes were up that I've refused to raise them on this occasion.

• Advertisement

Haven't the Echo been a few days behind a lot of stories in the last few transfer windows?

I think on the Tello thing, he'll sign a new deal and go on loan, cause it doesn't seem like they'll find much room for him in the first team squad, unless Affelay leaves maybe?

I think Agger could still leave on deadline day. I don't trust FSG/Rodgers enough to turn good money down just because we won't have time to replace him. They might see Kelly, Skrtel, Carragher and Coates as good enough cover until January or maybe even next Summer.

I don't see Rodgers letting that happen. I think they need to agree a date soon after which the Agger thing has to be closed - new contract or agree a sale, so he can bring someone in. If anything, the price goes up the later we get, cause we'd pay a premium to buy a replacement.

Selling late on would completely undercut the good work he has done, he'll do everything possible to avoid that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Kess73 wrote: »
    Neil Jones has an article in the Echo today about Tello.

Seems to be very sure of Tello joining, as he says things like

and

Seems to be a very blatant lack of ifs and maybes.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/15/profile-liverpool-fc-hope-barcelona-s-cristian-tello-can-become-the-wing-wizard-they-have-been-lacking-video-100252-31624715/

Jones has also been confident/cocky enough to put in print that Rodgers is confident of signing both Sahin and Tello (or at least having the deals rubber stamped) by Saturday of this week.

Is still just a journo piece, but the lack of ifs and maybes is a little interesting given the paper's links with the club.

Tello will drive ye mad as much as he will excite. One of those kids who could turn out to be unbelieveable or could turn out to be useless. Ye shouldn't expect too much from him if he does come on loan. Very very raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Haven't the Echo been a few days behind a lot of stories in the last few transfer windows?

I think on the Tello thing, he'll sign a new deal and go on loan, cause it doesn't seem like they'll find much room for him in the first team squad, unless Affelay leaves maybe?
    When you look at the players they have to play on the flanks I don't really see Tello featuring much tbh, would imagine if Barca rate him they'll loan him but tbh wouldn't be suprised to see him sold if a solid offer comes in

I don't see Rodgers letting that happen. I think they need to agree a date soon after which the Agger thing has to be closed - new contract or agree a sale, so he can bring someone in. If anything, the price goes up the later we get, cause we'd pay a premium to buy a replacement.

Selling late on would completely undercut the good work he has done, he'll do everything possible to avoid that.

City could see it as 'the later it gets without him signing a contract the more desperate FSG will be to cash in'. He'll be worth a fraction of his current value this time next year and we won't ever get £20+ for him again. I can see him going for ~£20m on deadline day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement