Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Knex. wrote: »
    He started the game anyway, dunno how long he played for though.

I think he played the full 90 :(

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I always thought Liverpool fans are realistic enough. We have had a bad couple of years and confidence is low. There is / was a lot of baggage at Liverpool in terms of players on high wages that are not up to it. This didn't allow for a lot of hope because we can'tsee where money for investment in players is gonna come from.

But now we have a new manager who will ultimately be judged on results but thus far has already done some good things, like ridding the club of Aquilani, and trying to move on Carroll for the right price and seemingly Adam.

He is not being rode over agger and he has re-signed Suarez and Skrtl. He also seems to be able to attract players like Sahin in a way that won't cripple us if it his pear shaped like previous signings. There is good stuff coming out of Anfield at the moment and it certainly looks progressive. Having said that results will dictate everything.

Unfortunately for us Man City have changed the game and it is difficult to break into the top four with Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea also vying for places.

I would be confident that we can finish ahead of Spurs, Everton and Newcastle though with the current squad if we get the best out of them. Maybe Rodgers is that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I can imagine this place going to meltdown again if the loan deal isint announced by say, 2 tomorrow :pac:

Wont believe anything till I see it it, but along with talking the talk rodgers certainly seems to have a dap hand in transfers if our ins so far and rumoured targets are anything to go by. Nice to see..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's why people should wait till transfer windows are closed and business is done before passing judgement.

People here was just totally over-reacting to perceived non-activity and rumours.

Continual judgement should always be allowed and expected. I form opinions everyday based upon what I see, should I not be allowed discuss them until a certain predefined date?

I get your point but I disagree. Granted, I should keep it in mind, and in quite a few of my posts I emphasise the 'if" or the fact that we have to wait till the end of the window to evaluate properly, but right now I'm giving my opinion on the current situation, not the definite finishing one.

Granted you can say that these opinions are formed upon heresay or gutter journalism, but I find after a while we're decent enough at spotting the BS and being able to evaluate the shape the club is taking. Like this Sahin deal for example, way to much noise for it to be all a hoax imo.

I'm not going out getting his name on a jersey or anything, but I am happy he is being linked as strongly as he is. First quality player we look like we can realistically get since Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Strange how the frequent posting German football expert who talks a lot about kidnapping is missing in action on the evening a recent star of the German league is apparently about to sign

As an aside, this is my new alias. I was tommyhaas in a previous life. Good to see things haven't changed much around here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Continual judgement should always be allowed and expected. I form opinions everyday based upon what I see, should I not be allowed discuss them until a certain predefined date?

I get your point but I disagree. Granted, I should keep it in mind, and in quite a few of my posts I emphasise the 'if" or the fact that we have to wait till the end of the window to evaluate properly, but right now I'm giving my opinion on the current situation, not the definite finishing one.

Granted you can say that these opinions are formed upon heresay or gutter journalism, but I find after a while we're decent enough at spotting the BS and being able to evaluate the shape the club is taking. Like this Sahin deal for example, way to much noise for it to be all a hoax imo.

I just think you shouldn't really react till you have all the facts.

There were posts here totally lambasting the owners and management every time we were merely linked with a player or a club was linked with one of our players most of it coming from Twitter.

A transfer window involves the coming and going of players and it doesn't all happen at the same time but I realise that people are too impatient to wait for it all to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Strange how the frequent posting German football expert who talks a lot about kidnapping is missing in action on the evening a recent star of the German league is apparently about to sign

As an aside, this is my new alias. I was tommyhaas in a previous life. Good to see things haven't changed much around here

I've been asking recently where you have been Tommy.
    Weren't you one of the posters that wanted Liverpool to sign Joey Barton? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

If we sign Sahin and get Tello and Dempsey we will be very strong assuming Agger stays. We should be in with a chance of 4th I think we badly underperformed last year. With a clear system under rodgers which we didn't seem to have last year we will be much stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

A fire has broken out in Robin van Persie's North London penthouse. Police suspect Arsene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Could argue Suarez, Lucas, Sahin, Johnson, Agger and Skrtle all in their primes right now.

I'm not saying that this team is as good as that side, sure they came 2nd in the league with our highest ever point tally, but its certainly the best in a long while and I would be confident of a decent push for CL places instead of the 6th I was predicting.

You call a man who played 4 games last season in his prime?
    Besides you cant include him either, he's not a pool player.

The original comment that you responded to spoke a lot more truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Jordon Rhodes scored for Scotland. That man just hasn't been able to stop scoring the past few seasons.

Wonder would he cut it in the PL? Still only 22 and my God, he can finish.

I really think a side like Sunderland should take a chance on him. He was devastating last year, an out and out poacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

amiable wrote: »
    I've been asking recently where you have been Tommy.
    Weren't you one of the posters that wanted Liverpool to sign Joey Barton? :D

I was indeed unfortunately, though I would still maintain that he would have worked out better last season then Charlie Adam

Though I do revoke any defense of him on a personal level. He's proved me spectacularly wrong over the last 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I think if we can get in a couple more signings we can challenge for 4th. I don't think Arsenal are as nailed on for 4th as the general media says. Their fans will be shocked by the loss of RvP especially to a rival, having said that should we really be surprised seeing what happened last year (Nasri, Clichy).
    I'm not thinking its gonna be champagne and roses for us. We have 4 tough games in our 1st 6. Let us see what the next few days brings for us

Looking forward to the new season and end of transfer mupperty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Done deal, Sahin in,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Could argue Suarez, Lucas, Sahin, Johnson, Agger and Skrtle all in their primes right now.

I'm not saying that this team is as good as that side, sure they came 2nd in the league with our highest ever point tally, but its certainly the best in a long while and I would be confident of a decent push for CL places instead of the 6th I was predicting.

You call a man who played 4 games last season in his prime?
    Besides you cant include him either, he's not a pool player.

The original comment that you responded to spoke a lot more truth.

I don't think I said anything so definitive. Read over the posts again, I made it clear in the original post that I was basing my opinion on things like the Sahin deal coming true.

Also, while on the topic of Sahin, the fact he played 4 games last year is irrelevant. He was injured from late August and he is without doubt a quality performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Done deal, Sahin in,,,,,

Care to share why your so sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Done deal, Sahin in,,,,,

to be honest i think its going ahead, but that is half a source...not done deal just yet...

i love jumping the gun as much as the next man...but patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mirror reckons Adam's being offered around for £5 million, and that Moyes might bite. Apparently his agent is Moyes's brother...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

El Spearo wrote: »
    to be honest i think its going ahead, but that is half a source...not done deal just yet...

i love jumping the gun as much as the next man...but patience.
    Agreed.

However, I wouldn't be very upset at losing out on Tello at all. And if the Mirror are correct about there being an option to buy Sahin on a permanent deal, then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Excting news about Sahin if true.

I definitely don't see the problem in terms of fitting him in, or see it that we are overstocked in this position. What we have finally is a very good starting midfield with plenty of options and cover off the bench. First time we can say that in a long while.

We have the Europa League as well so plenty of matches to play, and we all know that Gerrard can't play every game and will get an injury at some point.

So I actually don't think that Sahin's arrival will push Gerrard to the front 3. I think Gerrard is far more suited to play at the tip of the triangle and I'm not quite sure if he'd be that great playing in one of the forward positions where pace is required. Also I feel he might drfit and try and get involved in the play in the middle. While it might be an option, I have my doubts about whether it's what Rodgers has in mind for plan A.

What I see happening on Saturday is probably this:

Allen----Lucas----
    Gerrard

Saturday will probably come too fast for Sahin. I see him eventually taking over from Allen in midfield while at the same time acting as cover for Gerrard. So our starting midfield will probably end up like this:

----Sahin----Lucas----
    Gerrard

And when Gerrard inevitably needs a rest or picks up a knock:

Allen----Lucas----
    Sahin

The beauty of this also would be that if Lucas were to pick up a knock it might not look as doom and gloom as last year as we could still put out this which wouldn't be a bad midfield at all:

Sahin---Allen----
    Gerrard

It's a cliché by this point but it's true that football is a squad game and there's nothing at all wrong with having more quality options in midfield.

Allen is 21, coming to a big club. I really don't see him complaining if he gets left on the bench a couple of weeks and appears in the Europa League as a starter. Likewise Gerrard knows he's not at the peak of fitness as he used to be and knows he will need resting.

All four could easily play 40+ games a year so it's a non issue.

Then we have

---Henderson----Spearing---
    Shelvey (Adam)----

as back up. Not bad at all. And that's before we get to the youngsters. The likes of Suso is surely more than ready to play in the Carling Cup.

I'm really encouraged by that midfield, if it is to be what we have next season.

I think our defence is set, so long as we hold on to Agger. I had doubts about left-back but from what I've seen of Robinson I think he's capable to deputise for Enrique.

If we could snap up a decent Goalkeeper for a million or 2 happy to play backup then that'd be great.

And then I would argue we need one more signing to play in the front 3. Preferably good enough to start ahead of Downing or at least challenge for that place.

New
    Suarez
    Borini

with

Downing----Carroll----Sterling

as backup.

Cole and Shelvey are other options here, as is Suso (Pacheco?).

So one more good signing in this forward area (Dempsey, Tello maybe?), hold on to Agger and I think we can be very happy with our summer.

And I would also say with Modric and RVP leaving that we could say we would be able to challenge for the Champions League spot.

TLDR; things are looking better and we could be looking at a squad with both first team quality and capable backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Mirror reckons Adam's being offered around for £5 million, and that Moyes might bite. Apparently his agent is Moyes's brother...

In fairness I think £5m is a decent deal for a mid to lower Prem club who might look to make Adam the centre of their team ala Blackpool. I certainly think a promoted club could spend the money in worse ways.

On another topic, did big Andy play tonight? Anyone who watched the match, did he play well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Hi Folks,
    Was at the match in Belfast last night. Just thought I'd posted a few photos that I took - no point starting a new thread...

It was originally advertised as "Brendan Rodger's is expected to bring a strong team". He didn't. He wasn't even there. Anyway!

574560_10152045801240298_1953089474_n.jpg

533013_10152045801115298_647020481_n.jpg

341205_10152045800805298_106764251_o.jpg

296960_10152045802365298_1490260610_n.jpg

329541_10152045800445298_799795484_o.jpg

380374_10152045800960298_1195857755_n.jpg

gafferino wrote: »
    Care to share why your so sure?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-nuri-sahin-loan-1262780

They talk of it been wrapped up,
    revealed thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

But it's not a confirmation. There isn't one quote in that piece.

yeah but read the article...

no quotes, nothing concrete and nothing on sky sports or LFC website, which are two sites i base a lot of my news on... (slate me for SSN i know)

so could be a paper hoping to get some extra sales tomorrow. could be legit. but its far from done deal im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

If we've managed to get an option to buy in the deal it would be amazing.
    Danny Carter ‏@FormidableRed
    Turkish TV are reporting Nuri Şahin's loan move to Liverpool comes with an option to buy him permanently next summer.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

it would be a coup to have the option to make the switch permanent after the loan but id be disappointed if we did miss out on tello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

I wont be happy until Dave Whelan confirms it :D

opr wrote: »

Opr

Yeah like getting him is great, but an option to buy would be amazing. The way the deal was being talked about (Jose doing BR a favour) always seemed like that would never be an option.

Just read on the Twitter machine and found interesting that over the last few years Arsenal have had Vieira, Gilberto, Henry, Gallas, Fabregas and van Persie as captain in the time that Gerrard has been Liverpool captain.

Now that's loyalty.

opr wrote: »

Opr
    I thought Madrid said he wasn't for sale

makes complete sense that were not hearing anything with the presser in the morning too.

something to set the meeting up nicely, a signal of intent for the year ahead etc. when you think about the psychology of it all, that would be a fantastic move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

El Spearo wrote: »
    Yeah like getting him is great, but an option to buy would be amazing. The way the deal was being talked about (Jose doing BR a favour) always seemed like that would never be an option.

If we don't then Sahin can go back to Madrid ready to play and we'll take Xabi back off them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just read on the Twitter machine and found interesting that over the last few years Arsenal have had Vieira, Gilberto, Henry, Gallas, Fabregas and van Persie as captain in the time that Gerrard has been Liverpool captain.

Now that's loyalty.

Just as well he didn't leave in 2004 and 2005 isn't it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

gaelicred wrote: »
    I thought Madrid said he wasn't for sale
    That's why we're gonna loan him this year and buy him next year

mike65 wrote: »
    Just as well he didn't leave in 2004 and 2005 isn't it? :p

Yes...but the fact remains that he didn't! Came close...but he didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

I think there is too much 'smoke' to say Sahin is not signing, alot of journalist are saying its done. I imagine there will be confirmation tomorrow....

Assuming he does sign, I think he will give great balance in midfield. I hadn't realised/remembered that he was left footed until I saw a video on youtube. With Allen, Lucas, Sahin across the middle, and possibly Gerrard roaming, it looks exciting. Can't wait for Saturday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like Tello won't be serenaded to the a Lionel Ritchie melody this season if the Mirror is right.

Pepe Reina is all the way over in Central America playing a friendly tonight.
    Not ideal preparations for the weekend

If we do sign Sahin do you think he will play on saturday

no.

If it was a home game perhaps but seeing as it's an away game I doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Not a chance, he won't even have trained with the team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Morzadec wrote: »
    Excting news about Sahin if true.

I definitely don't see the problem in terms of fitting him in, or see it that we are overstocked in this position. What we have finally is a very good starting midfield with plenty of options and cover off the bench. First time we can say that in a long while.

We have the Europa League as well so plenty of matches to play, and we all know that Gerrard can't play every game and will get an injury at some point.

So I actually don't think that Sahin's arrival will push Gerrard to the front 3. I think Gerrard is far more suited to play at the tip of the triangle and I'm not quite sure if he'd be that great playing in one of the forward positions where pace is required. Also I feel he might drfit and try and get involved in the play in the middle. While it might be an option, I have my doubts about whether it's what Rodgers has in mind for plan A.

What I see happening on Saturday is probably this:

Allen----Lucas----
    Gerrard

Saturday will probably come too fast for Sahin. I see him eventually taking over from Allen in midfield while at the same time acting as cover for Gerrard. So our starting midfield will probably end up like this:

----Sahin----Lucas----
    Gerrard

And when Gerrard inevitably needs a rest or picks up a knock:

Allen----Lucas----
    Sahin

The beauty of this also would be that if Lucas were to pick up a knock it might not look as doom and gloom as last year as we could still put out this which wouldn't be a bad midfield at all:

Sahin---Allen----
    Gerrard

It's a cliché by this point but it's true that football is a squad game and there's nothing at all wrong with having more quality options in midfield.

Allen is 21, coming to a big club. I really don't see him complaining if he gets left on the bench a couple of weeks and appears in the Europa League as a starter. Likewise Gerrard knows he's not at the peak of fitness as he used to be and knows he will need resting.

All four could easily play 40+ games a year so it's a non issue.

Then we have

---Henderson----Spearing---
    Shelvey (Adam)----

as back up. Not bad at all. And that's before we get to the youngsters. The likes of Suso is surely more than ready to play in the Carling Cup.

I'm really encouraged by that midfield, if it is to be what we have next season.

I think our defence is set, so long as we hold on to Agger. I had doubts about left-back but from what I've seen of Robinson I think he's capable to deputise for Enrique.

If we could snap up a decent Goalkeeper for a million or 2 happy to play backup then that'd be great.

And then I would argue we need one more signing to play in the front 3. Preferably good enough to start ahead of Downing or at least challenge for that place.

New
    Suarez
    Borini

with

Downing----Carroll----Sterling

as backup.

Cole and Shelvey are other options here, as is Suso (Pacheco?).

So one more good signing in this forward area (Dempsey, Tello maybe?), hold on to Agger and I think we can be very happy with our summer.

And I would also say with Modric and RVP leaving that we could say we would be able to challenge for the Champions League spot.

TLDR; things are looking better and we could be looking at a squad with both first team quality and capable backup.

If we get Dempsey we are pretty much sorted for cover for the front 3.

Dempsey/Raheem/Gerrard/Suarez/Carroll/Downing, not ideal but not bad to be working on.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

daithijjj wrote: »
    I did just now, knock yerself out. If theres another one will just cancel and merge but not seen one.

211229-304096

35 in, im not about during the daytime so when we sign Messi tomorrow it might get lost, so someone repost for lads around during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Sahin a red eh? Medical and announcement on Thursday :D Now time to give the car boot a bit of a hoover and wipe down. :pac:

Adam to Everton maybe? And Mirallas to Everton as well for £4m to £5m according to the Echo? Looks like Moyes is itching to spend the Rodwell cash.

Now why the hell can I not get into the bloody footy league?

Comes up as an invalid code everytime I use 211229-304096.

Funny looking at clips of Sahin,
    He seems to hoof it long non stop
    Bring back carroll :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement