Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I still dont see gerrard being used in the front 3 this year. there will be plenty of games for all 4 midfielders to be rotated.

I imagine gerrard will still be 1st choice AM when fit.

Lucas/Allen

Sahin/Allen

Gerrard/Sahin

should be pretty much how I see things working out

and of course Gerrard could play the odd match as part of the front 3 but id be suprised if this happens more than 5 times over the season

Im actually quite interested to see how the midfield plays out this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Lucas is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Rodgers loves Allen and just spent £15 million on him.

Sahin has not come here to sit on the bench.

We probably won't see Sahin on Saturday. The City match might be the first real indicator of our first choice 11. I fully expect to see 3 midfielders playing deeper than Gerrard in that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Kess73 wrote: »
    Walcott and Godin have been linked in a few of the rumours.

Really?

Football's first couple to come out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

I'm inexplicably nervous today - hope this gets wrapped up soon.

Oh, and I'm Gorilla Panic in the Superthread FPL league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Walcott and Godin have been linked in a few of the rumours.

Godin in case of Agger news (and cause he's Uruguayan, like our friend Gaston) and Walcott in case Dempsey or Sahin falls through?

Is there any chance they will get rid of Song after this RVP fallout? And then possible Walcott as well??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Just signed up to the FF league too (Lavally Levellers).

Fingers crossed for Sahin to sign on the dotted line. Don't know much about Tello so not too bothered whether he comes in or not. Season loans (with an option to buy) seem to be the way to go though if cash is scarce. Providing Agger stays, I'm quite happy with the way Rodgers has conducted his business so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

whats the FF code?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

MD1990 wrote: »
    whats the FF code?

211229-304096

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Please get done, with a first buy option. The longer the day ticks on the more apprehensive I'll get.

Hopefully Twitter crap but it's seems Levy is trying to negotiate Sahin in the Modric deal :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really?

Football's first couple to come out?

Sympathy thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Lucas is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Rodgers loves Allen and just spent £15 million on him.

Sahin has not come here to sit on the bench.

We probably won't see Sahin on Saturday. The City match might be the first real indicator of our first choice 11. I fully expect to see 3 midfielders playing deeper than Gerrard in that match.

Steven Gerrard is Steven Gerrard and he is at his best when playing in AM or the hole or trequartista or whatever other name. He hasn't played on the wing forward role in about 7 years. Saying that I know the front 3 wont be rigid and there will be plenty of licence to roam but I still expect him to play the majority of the year in AM.

The City game I imagine Rodgers will be go with his tried and trusted cm's of lucas, allen and gerrard, this does not mean that Sahin has come to sit on the bench, I just think this is what Rodgers will opt for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Leiva wrote: »
    Hopefully Twitter crap but it's seems Levy is trying to negotiate Sahin in the Modric deal :(

Tis funny, was just thinking since Levy is trying to hijack most of our targets he's try this also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

There are sharks in each location. :D

If fact anywhere off the coast of Britain or Ireland will have plenty of shark, some being species that grow pretty large.

If Piers decides to instead take the Santa Monica bay challenge, then the shark possibilities go up as far as a great white in terms of size.
    In Irish and British waters? Hell no. Ireland has a very healthy shark population with blues, threshers, porbeagles, and six gills just being a few of the more well known non plankton eaters in Irish waters. They are not going to be coming into the shallows after swimmers (then again Ireland has a very low population of beach users compared to other countries) but a few of them can be dangerous in open water.

There are other species that pass through, like the mako.

This six gill was caught off the Clare coast three years ago.

shark_indo_337902t.jpg

future mod of the sharkwatching forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Who's saying it on Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I would be very surprised if Gerrard in the front 3 was plan A this year, Sahin or no Sahin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Is the Modric deal not agreed already?

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7992896/Modric

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Mostly basking sharks though, right? Which mostly eat plankton and not humans.

He is a pretty low form of life though, maybe he would be on the menu after all.

Yep, mostly basking but you'll get the odd Mako which, while generally not interested in humans, may attack if there's something irritating them. So there's hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Rodgers: How we can reach top

Brendan Rodgers believes his style of play can bridge the gap between Liverpool and the richest clubs in the division – and the new Reds boss is hopeful of signing more players in the next 48 hours to help his cause.

In a press conference to preview the start of the new Barclays Premier League season, the 39-year-old spoke of his ambitions for the next nine months.

Rodgers admitted the fight for a top-four spot would be a tough one, but explained his belief that an attacking brand of possession football will help elevate Liverpool into the higher reaches of the division sooner or later.

He said: "For us it's about being competitive this year in every competition we're in. The challenge at the top of the table is greater than ever.

"It was the top two, the top three, then the top four. Now there are seven or eight teams involved in that.

"The top four is certainly not something we'll shy away from. It's where a club of this status wants to be, but it's always easier said than done. The reality over the past three seasons or so hasn't been that.

"It's important that if you don't have the money, you have got to be different. That's the idea of trying to find a style. One of the ways in which we can hopefully gain an edge is in how we play and control and dominate games.

"I've got some wonderful players here, some world-class players, and I'm excited about the young players that are coming through. There are always ways in which you are trying to make the difference.

"Everyone wants the money but you can't always have the money. But it won't stop our hunger and desire to improve and be better, and one of the ways in which we'll look to do that is to define our model of play."

Asked if progress had been made strengthening his squad, Rodgers added: "There has been a lot of great work done behind the scenes, enquiring about players.

"I'll find out (more) later, to be honest. We hope in the next couple of days we'll have one or two coming in, which is great - players that can come in and help the ones that are here. Hopefully in the next 48 hours we'll find out."

Meanwhile, Liverpool head into Saturday's league opener at West Brom with a fully fit squad.

Rodgers said: "Everyone has been great, the players are in good physical condition and they have looked very well.

"Everyone will be back from the internationals today and we'll assess the group over the next couple of days."

As well as the fitness of his senior players, Rodgers was also asked by a Northern Irish journalist about teenager Ryan McLaughlin, who was called up to his international side this week but had to withdraw through injury.

The boss said: "He's at the beginning of his career. First and foremost, he's a good kid. I came here and I took 10 players under 19 with me to America and Ryan was one of those players, at 17 years of age.

"The guys at the Academy spoke very highly of him. The key thing for Ryan is he wants to learn. He made his first start against Totti against Roma so it was a wonderful experience for him and he did very well.

"I'm sure if he keeps his thirst and he retains the hunger that I've seen over the course of the pre-season and the attitude to want to get better and improve, then he has got talent.

"But talent alone is not enough, you've got to have the ability and the mindset to work. If he does all of those things, then he will have a terrific chance of having a good career."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

EL Pistolero ‏@sua7ez
    @bumpergraham any news on Sahin?
    Graham Hunter Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham
    @sua7ez think you guys owe The Special One one

Opr

• Advertisement

lads the shark thread is that way ~~~~~^~~~~~
    But on the subject of sharks this is what I hope happens to LL at the end of this season if all his doom and gloom comes to pass :)

tumblr_m8o002VRhn1rxddf8o1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gafferino wrote: »
    But on the subject of sharks this is what I hope happens to LL at the end of this season if all his doom and gloom comes to pass :)

tumblr_m8o002VRhn1rxddf8o1_400.gif

I can't see that picture (in work), but I say you are too kind for posting what I assume is a picture of a mound of cash surrounded by a couple of attractive women. Too kind I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

gafferino wrote: »

I like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can't see that picture (in work), but I say you are too kind for posting what I assume is a picture of a mound of cash surrounded by a couple of attractive women. Too kind I say.

It's a .gif of you eating Brendan Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

If/when Sahin comes he's a guaranteed starter. Gerrard and Allen will be rotated imo.

That was mentioned some days ago, but since that the straight tee for Modric seems to be agreed. Just being held up while they search for a replacement, which I don't get since he is desperate to go. Get the best price and close the book on it.

I think they'll go for Moutinho, £20M+....they haven't spent much this summer. They need to push or they could get left behind.

• Advertisement

hefferboi wrote: »
    If/when Sahin comes he's a guaranteed starter. Gerrard and Allen will be rotated imo.

No no no. Lucas and Allen always in midfield, Sahin and Gerrard the two link players to Suarez and Borini. Dempsey is the player that will create the confusion - sometimes for Borini, sometimes for Sahin, sometimes for Stevie, sometimes from the bench.

I think Allen and Lucas will start a huge number of games together...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Websense frustrates the hell outta me at times! I get to see only about 30% of images when at work.

Probably for the best I suppose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »
    Websense frustrates the hell outta me at times! I get to see only about 30% of images when at work.

Probably for the best I suppose :D

Its alright i run off surfcontrol its incredibly restrictive @ work!

Dickerty wrote: »
    No no no. Lucas and Allen always in midfield, Sahin and Gerrard the two link players to Suarez and Borini. Dempsey is the player that will create the confusion - sometimes for Borini, sometimes for Sahin, sometimes for Stevie, sometimes from the bench.

your jinxing it lads stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

The City game I imagine Rodgers will be go with his tried and trusted cm's of lucas, allen and gerrard, this does not mean that Sahin has come to sit on the bench, I just think this is what Rodgers will opt for.

His tried and tested combo, one he's deployed so many times before with great success. :D

This level of speculation is serious overkill. The concept of a first 11 and then some backup is antiquated. With the number of games we'll be playing this season we need enough players to rotate from week to week and a depth of quality to choose from for each game that allows it. Look at the Manchester clubs or Chelsea, they have the luxury of changing their line up every week with the replacements still being top quality. That's exactly what we should be aiming for, and hopefully this year, barring a mass of injury disasters, may come close to approaching in centre midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I think they will be first choice aswell but lfc could have a huge amount of games this year if we go well in the Europa or other cups. I would see quite abit of rotation.

Given that Lucas was out for so much of last season we could essentially have an all new centre mid 3 of Lucas, Allen and Sahin compared to end last year. That's exciting as it seems to be a key part of the BR strategy for passing the ball. Also gives super strenght in depth so injuries wouldn't disrupt the season too much.

Just need to strenghten our striking options now too. If Suarez got injured I'd still be worried.

BR seems to be slowly moving out most of our recent signings. Amazing to think the money that was spent on Carroll, Henderson, Downing and Adam and none will be close to the team! Downing probably closest at the moment but if we sign another attacker then his time will be limited too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Steven Gerrard is Steven Gerrard and he is at his best when playing in AM or the hole or trequartista or whatever other name. He hasn't played on the wing forward role in about 7 years. Saying that I know the front 3 wont be rigid and there will be plenty of licence to roam but I still expect him to play the majority of the year in AM.

Given that Gerrard has not managed more than 25 games in all comps in either of the past two seasons, I would reckon that Allen and Sahin (if got) will each play far more games than Gerrard this season.

Allen is a better deep sitting midfielder than Gerrard of 2012, and Sahin is certainly a far more rounded AM than the Gerrard of 2012.

Gerrard if fit can certainly play the AM role, but I would be stunned if he got more CM games than Allen or more AM games than Sahin.

Hoping that Gerrard manages to stay fit for even 50% of a season could be a gamble at this stage of his career.

But who plays on that rainy night at Stoke?

Carroll
    Coates
    Kelly
    Shelvey

Real men only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Sahin will be the best midfielder, attacking wise, at the club. He's better than Allen and Gerrard imo. Personally my starting 3 would be

Lucas
    ----Sahin
    Gerrard---

And Gerrard won't be able for too many games so himself and Allen will swap with Allen dropping in beside Lucas. No chance of Sahin coming here and not starting most games. He'd be a regular for Arsenal, Spurs and United if he went to any of them. He's that good.

Alternatively Gerrard can go up top but I reckon it would fcuk up Rodgers' system as he likes the front 3 to swap around regularly and Stevie would probably play a free role with only Borini and Suarez staying up top. We'd have no width whatsoever if this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Rodgers seems to have a soft spot for downing also..would not to be surprised to see him getting a few games too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Lucas

Allen Sahin

Gerrad

Suarez

Broini

That' the way I see it if Sahin comes in easy to drop back to 442 or drop into a 433 or even a 451..Lucas and Allen will be the constant in midfield.

tibor wrote: »
    His tried and tested combo, one he's deployed so many times before with great success. :D

were did I say tried and tested combo?

obviously i ment the players he has had time to work with and will have a greater understanding of their role in the team. like lucas as dm, allen as cm and gerrard as am.

i agree about the point of rotation and i think all 4 will see around the same amount of game time throughout the season*

*If remaining fit

Given that Gerrard has not managed more than 25 games in all comps in either of the past two seasons, I would reckon that Allen and Sahin (if got) will each play far more games than Gerrard this season.

Allen is a better deep sitting midfielder than Gerrard of 2012, and Sahin is certainly a far more rounded AM than the Gerrard of 2012.

Gerrard if fit can certainly play the AM role, but I would be stunned if he got more CM games than Allen or more AM games than Sahin.

Hoping that Gerrard manages to stay fit for even 50% of a season could be a gamble at this stage of his career.

I am obviously saying if all are fit at the same time which we never know what might happen to any of them

But I dont expect gerrard to play any games in CM, but I would expect Sahin just as much in CM as he would in AM.

i actually think Sahin is at his best in CM imo

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Mike Jefferies ‏@mikejefferiesL4
    Just been told Sahin won't be announced today. AFC have had a crack at hijacking deal. Still likely to go to LFC but will take a day or two.

Squeaky bum time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I am obviously saying if all are fit at the same time which we never know what might happen to any of them

But I dont expect gerrard to play any games in CM, but I would expect Sahin just as much in CM as he would in AM.

i actually think Sahin is at his best in CM imo

I just don't think that Allen was bought to be anything other than a starter pretty much everytime he is fit. Allen is not really an AM and is best in CM or as a deep lying playmaker, so he will not be taking the AM slot.

Lucas would be another that will be a starter everytime he is fit.

After that there is only one midfield slot left given the formation that Rodgers has used in every frinedly and competitive game since he got the job.

If Sahin joins, then it is between him, Gerrard, Shelvey, Adam, and Henderson for the remaining slot, and Sahin would, imho of course, be the best player at this point in time in that role. A younger Gerrard would be a better attacking player, but what we have now is the 32 year old Gerrard and that version of Gerrard would be better than all our remaining options for the AM role save for Sahin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Finical wrote: »
    Just been told Sahin won't be announced today. AFC have had a crack at hijacking deal. Still likely to go to LFC but will take a day or two.

Squeaky bum time.

Same guy who consistently said this time yesterday that it'd be 100% done and dusted today.

It's pointless quoting most of these people on Twitter; no football fan who spends much time on twitter pays them any attention, it's always just complete guesswork and echo chamber waffle.

Gerrad
    Broini

The new signings we've been waiting for! :D

Rodgers seems to have a soft spot for downing also..would not to be surprised to see him getting a few games too

And I think that's fair enough. He is one player that gives us proper width, but is not just about crosses, he can play the ball on the ground as well.

As he rightly pointed out, he was slated for no assists last season, but made 50+ chances - hardly his fault that the strikers (Carroll in particular) didn't finish them.

Finical wrote: »

Squeaky bum time.

Anfield Mole and FitzgeraldNO5 both say there is no such hijack and still aiming for today or tomorrow to confirm.
    Let's see who wins this Twit-a-battle...

Anfield Mole and FitzgeraldNO5 both say there is no such hijack and still aiming for today or tomorrow to confirm.
    Let's see who wins this Twit-a-battle...

What does the Anfield Cat have to say about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

And I think that's fair enough. He is one player that gives us proper width, but is not just about crosses, he can play the ball on the ground as well.

As he rightly pointed out, he was slated for no assists last season, but made 50+ chances - hardly his fault that the strikers (Carroll in particular) didn't finish them.

im very open to giving him a fair chance this year...he was disappointing last year but preseason shows promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Cat%20Says%20%22MEOW!!!%22__600_450_q50.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

The new signings we've been waiting for! :D

Where in the post did i say new signings! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement