Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

How did Southampton get Ramirez over us?

Or were we that bothered in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Vicxas wrote: »

All agent talk it appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Ape X wrote: »
    Why do people think José wants Sahin to come to us rather than Arsenal? Has he said something?

He said he didn't want to strengthen a CL rival. Then there is his friendship with Rodgers, and Xabi's word-in-the-ear...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I would imagine we weren't that interested. Doesn't mean some lucky people won't use it as a stick to beat the.manager with if he is a success with southampton

Dickerty wrote: »
    He said he didn't want to strengthen a CL rival. Then there is his friendship with Rodgers, and Xabi's word-in-the-ear...
    I didn't see any of those quotes. The Guardian reported that JM was happy to let Sahin go to Arsenal a week ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Jose only wanted him to come to us cause we were paying more wages surely, if that's now changed, why would he care where he goes?

Also, isn't Rodger's a Maureen lapdog?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

All makey uppey hearsay, like the rest of twitter rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

He clearly wants an arsenal move and not to us. That's the difference between being in the CL and being in the EL. Very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

*Sahin to be unveiled at the Emirates on Monday according to a leak from a event organiser for the club.
    *Insert twitter disclaimer here

This hurts more not only because we missed out but because Arsenal seem to have landed him. I really thought after they sold RVP that they would seriously miss his goals, and with us potentially adding a massive threat to our midfield then we really could have nicked into the top 4 or 5 places.
    But with it looking like Arsenal have landed him that changes things massively for both teams in my mind .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Des wrote: »
    Also, isn't Rodger's a Maureen lapdog?

Odd and pretty unnecessary/disrespectful choice of words.

They joined Chelsea at the same time, he did a good job with the youth, and then the reserves before leaving in 2008. To my knowledge they've had no professional dealings since then. Rodgers has reunited with a few players from his time at chelsea, but all of those deals occurred after Jose left.

Colleagues, sure, friends, I hope so.
    But why "lapdog"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'm just going to reverse my mind a week. We never knew we were in for him before, so just gonna forget about it. Sure there is no place for him in the team anyway...

Agreed. I posted last week that we shouldn't be going after Allen if we weren't first sure we couldn't get Sahin, and that we were mad not to even try. I'm pretty happy that we did, and also that we're capable of what we saw last night. I'm down over Sahin but overall fairly optimistic now for the rest of the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Big deal on Sahin. Just because he is a Real Madrid player doesn't make him anything secial.

Big deal on Sahin. Just because he is a Real Madrid player doesn't make him anything secial.

Him being special makes him special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Said it.

What does him being a Real player have to do with anything?

Quite a few of us here have been talking about him since his time at Dortmund, where he proved to be a top class player.

I'm a lot happier that at least we tried to get him, because frankly, right now, he's out of our league. it shows some ambition at least, even if we don't manage to pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

True, but if what Ade and Kess say is anything to go by, it shows that he is definitely a talent!

There's a reason Real signed him and Arsenal and Liverpool are interested in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Last time I ever ever pay any attention to media sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Look it's more important that we keep Agger , let's just make sure we finish above arsenal , who were going to have more buying power by off loading rvp. Now if we could just get rid of carrol for £25million that would be great. Am excited for this club for first time in ages, long long road ahead , but let's go down it , ynwa.

gafferino wrote: »
    Last time I ever ever pay any attention to media sh*te.

To be fair, I suspect what we were reading was actually true at the time, and the recent influx of cash Arsenal have had from selling RVP is what's upset things.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    To be fair, I suspect what we were reading was actually true at the time, and the recent influx of cash Arsenal have had from selling RVP is what's upset things.
    So, as usual, it's Utd's fault!

But you're right - we were in pole position until a CL side were in a position to come in. Simple as that.

> LFC sources tell certain journalists they are 100% confident of signing Sahin on loan.

> Journalists publish this in their respective newspapers, discuss it on twitter.

> Arsenal make a late bid before a deal is finalised

> Half the boards.ie LFC forum blames twitter for lies.

Seriously lads, twitter is fine if you don't take everything you read on it as absolute. Same as any other media source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

If we don't get him now because we can't buy him outright, and then we sell Agger late on, I will be a not happy boy...

Article in the Echo that hints (only hints) we'll redevelop Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ape X wrote: »
    So, as usual, it's Utd's fault!

But you're right - we were in pole position until a CL side were in a position to come in. Simple as that.

If united help arsenal sign him before lfc lmao RVP was a bargain so

Ah you took that seriously? Good lad ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Odd and pretty unnecessary/disrespectful choice of words.

They joined Chelsea at the same time, he did a good job with the youth, and then the reserves before leaving in 2008. To my knowledge they've had no professional dealings since then. Rodgers has reunited with a few players from his time at chelsea, but all of those deals occurred after Jose left.

Colleagues, sure, friends, I hope so.
    But why "lapdog"?

Why? Because Des spends more time on the Liverpool thread than actual Liverpool supporters, waits for a chance to throw a dig in or make a snide remark, then goes back to lurking. He's not trolling though.

Have a sneaky feeling there will still be some surprises for us in this transfer window re ins and outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Rodgers said we'll get 1/2 in the next 48hours yesterday, so that lad yesterday who nobody knew about is one, hopefully Sahin is the second. Twitter is dangerous for your mental health, so many fake stories about lads not training cause their on the Bablecopter on the way to Anfield for a medical or some crap like that.

Looking forward to tomorrow though, and for 12.01 am on September 1st!

We have our first gloater! Arsenal will be first to Sahin, but were beaten to Schadenfreude.

I really have to stay off Twitter, its bad for my heart. Ill just entrust that Bren and Ian ayre did enough song and dance to convince Sahin to come to Anfield.

• Advertisement

change of topic......I always knew Clive Owen was a good lad...

IT’S THE MORNING after the Olympics in London and the entire city seems to have a spring in its step. Clive Owen, too, is in jolly form though he’s deep into preparation for a sporting event of a different kind.

“I’ve just been to a friendly,” he says of his beloved Liverpool FC. “I’ve been watching them all summer. We’re looking good I think.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

gafferino wrote: »
    change of topic......I always knew Clive Owen was a good lad...

IT’S THE MORNING after the Olympics in London and the entire city seems to have a spring in its step. Clive Owen, too, is in jolly form though he’s deep into preparation for a sporting event of a different kind.

“I’ve just been to a friendly,” he says of his beloved Liverpool FC. “I’ve been watching them all summer. Our year I think.”

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Maybe this is a stupid question??

But am I missing something here? - I thought this Sahin deal was just going to be a season long loan deal anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Rodgers said we'll get 1/2 in the next 48hours yesterday, so that lad yesterday who nobody knew about is one, hopefully Sahin is the second. Twitter is dangerous for your mental health, so many fake stories about lads not training cause their on the Bablecopter on the way to Anfield for a medical or some crap like that.

Looking forward to tomorrow though, and for 12.01 am on September 1st!

The original talk about Sahin was that the club hoped to have him as a guest at the away game to West Brom and the official signing to follow soon after that. Similar to how Allen was a guest at a game and his official signing followed later.

In the days after that rumour broke all the usual ITK journos dived on it and seemed to be in a rush to all be the one who seemed to be announcing the player was "just about" to sign.

To be honest at this point I am more stoked about the fact the new season is just over 29 hours away from kicking off for us, but am happy to ignore many of the twitter ITKs with their instant gratification style of getting new followers.

The Assaidi signing was a lovely burst of nostalgia for me (and I am sure for all posters here of a certain age or above) as it really harked back to the days of waking up as a kid and finding out that the club had signed Player X with the radio or newpaper article that morning being the first you knew about the club beiung after that player.

The Assaidi signing was also a nice way to show that a decent player can be got on the sly and for very little cash. It was only a few days ago on here that I mentioned that Wijnaldum, Mertens and Strootman were bought for a combined amount of €18m last summer in the Dutch league, with Wijnaldum only costing €5m, and I, along with a few others, have long been saying that there is much better value on the continent for players, so it was great to see the club actually pick up one of those potential bargains.

People should not let the Assaidi price suggest he is a mug player. In the media in France and Holland he is a far more well known player than Allen or Borini, just to use our other purchases as examples, and in Holland he would be as well known and as big a name as the likes of Hoilett, Lennon, Valencia, and N'Zogbia would be in England.

He is no superstar signing, but anyone who has seen him play, even on the weekly highlight shows, will have a little buzz of excitement about the signing.

It is also a signing that really boosted my confidence in Rodgers and his backroom team, as it gives some creedence to their own comments about being football nerds for the mainland European leagues outside of the big three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Maybe this is a stupid question??

But am I missing something here? - I thought this Sahin deal was just going to be a season long loan deal anyway?

its was but that was back when itcwas going to be our year. Noow we must wait for some other glimmer of hope to cling to . Then itll be our year again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Seamu$ wrote: »
    £3m fee and £21k a week? Sounds good. Low risk punt that might turn out quite well.

Just logged into say "who, where, what, why?".

Still, a part of me is relieved that this transfer has no little risk attached compared to those of the past couple of years.

21k a week must make him one of our lowest paid senior players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In relation to Sahin.

Wouldn't Madrid have to agree as well regardless of what player wants?

Would Jose want to let him go to Arsene 'The Voyeur" Wenger?

Think this story has a bit to go yet.

Either way, if he goes to Arsenal, it's just something that can happen and shows how we need to get back in CL football above anything else.

League has got to be the focus this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Kess73 wrote: »
    The original talk about Sahin was that the club hoped to have him as a guest at the away game to West Brom and the official signing to follow soon after that. Similar to how Allen was a guest at a game and his official signing followed later.

In the days after that rumour broke all the usual ITK journos dived on it and seemed to be in a rush to all be the one who seemed to be announcing the player was "just about" to sign.

Can't remember anyone talking about the potential Sahin deal before decent journos on Twitter broke it? Certainly not here :confused:

Looks to me like you're changing the timeline of what actually happened so you can continue to scoff at journos while still saying that the Sahin deal has substance? :pac:

murpho999 wrote: »
    In relation to Sahin.

Wouldn't Madrid have to agree as well regardless of what player wants?

Would Jose want to let him go to Arsene 'The Voyeur" Wenger?

Think this story has a bit to go yet.

Either way, if he goes to Arsenal, it's just something that can happen and shows how we need to get back in CL football above anything else.

League has got to be the focus this year.

This needs to be a priority, once we get into the CL again we shouldnt have to worry too much about attracting the players we want to the club, its just right now we seem to be reeling the fish in and someone else is clubbing them right before we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I think if jose wants a young player to go anywhere to develop itll be to arsene the voyeur wenger. Think of his track record of turning unknowns into stars.
    Maybe the liverpool links were just to get arsene to up the percentage he was willing to pay of sahins wages.
    Its tough on liverpool but its good hustliing by the special one.

• Advertisement

Rodgers has high hopes for Downing

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers hopes winger Stewart Downing can put his disappointing maiden season at Anfield behind him and start afresh at West Brom on Saturday.

The England international, like a number of former boss Kenny Dalglish's signings, began the previous campaign promisingly but tailed off and he finished without a goal to his name. Downing has already rectified that with the first goal of Rodgers' reign, hitting the winner in the Europa League qualifier against Gomel in Belarus just over a fortnight ago.

The 39-year-old Reds boss, who replaced Dalglish in June, has been impressed by the 28-year-old so far and said: "He has been excellent. He is technically strong and physically quick and that aggressive part of his game is coming back, which is important."

He added: "I have seen him since he was a young player at Middlesbrough and he had periods at Villa where he was excellent.

"Obviously coming to a club like this the first season is always going to be difficult but he is a player who has a lot of talent and he wants to work hard.

"Players will be successful if they are confident and I have seen him play confidently in pre-season so long may that continue."

The return of midfielder Lucas Leiva is likely to be as, if not more, significant.

Having ruptured cruciate knee ligaments in November the Brazil international - who was enjoying his best form before injury struck - is back playing ahead of schedule and Rodgers is delighted.

"I've been very impressed. I like his mentality," he added. "He is here to succeed, he is very much driven and he has an inherent belief in how we want to play.

"He has come back quicker than I thought he would. It is great testament to how hard he has worked."

Pulled this from the BBC website, seems to be gaining pace :(
    Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin, 23, has been urged to stall on a move to Liverpool by Arsenal, who hope the lure of Champions League football will persuade the ex-Dortmund star to snub the Anfield club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol

Pulled this from the BBC website, seems to be gaining pace :(

Yeah read a few things like that.....that AFC have asked him to hold off while they sort out Songs future. Daily Fail running the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The Sahin saga goes to show how little impact winning a Carling Cup and losing and FA Cup Final have on the overall development of the club.

Like it or lump it. The best players want CL football. That's where we must be, league position is everything this year, I would even say a good UEFA cup run is more important than either of the domestic cups.

Reserves for the Carling Cup, FA Cup should not be a priority at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Can't remember anyone talking about the potential Sahin deal before decent journos on Twitter broke it? Certainly not here :confused:

Looks to me like you're changing the timeline of what actually happened so you can continue to scoff at journos while still saying that the Sahin deal has substance? :pac:

Neil Jones of the Liverpool Echo ran with the story of how Rodgers hoped to have Sahin at the game on Saturday and I did mention that on here a few times, including the most recent time Jones mentioned it in an article which was only a few days ago.

I also know that I have mentioned Jones and Kirkbridge a number of times on here regarding Agger, Tello, and Sahin.

A quick search straight away finds one post of mine from the start of this week mentioning Jones' comment regarding Saturday, and on the same day and the day following there was a rush of tweets on twitter about how Sahin was about to be announced on Wednesday and Thursday.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Jones has also been confident/cocky enough to put in print that Rodgers is confident of signing both Sahin and Tello (or at least having the deals rubber stamped) by Saturday of this week.

Is still just a journo piece, but the lack of ifs and maybes is a little interesting given the paper's links with the club.

This article was also linked and spoken about in this thread during the week.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/15/liverpool-fc-confident-of-signing-barcelona-s-cristian-tello-and-real-madrid-s-nuri-sahin-on-loan-100252-31624719/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I'd imagine Real are just waiting to get Modric signed up before releasing Sahin. Due to the delay, Twitter heads and rags need something to fill the void so are making up stories left, right and centre. I still think we'll get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'd imagine Real are just waiting to get Modric signed up before releasing Sahin. Due to the delay, Twitter heads and rags need something to fill the void so are making up stories left, right and centre. I still think we'll get him.

No way he's going to Chelsea ! ...turncoat.

Wait a minute, something is not right here with the username lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Wait a minute, something is not right here with the username lol

S**t is this not the Chelsea forum? I'll get me coat...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement