Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

If the player(Sahin) doesn't want to come here, I'd drop any interest in him. Eventually that mentality will show on the pitch.

But whose to know whats going on....personally I think the deal is being held up until Modric goes to Real, which is being held up because Spurs cant find a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I am pie wrote: »
    The Sahin saga goes to show how little impact winning a Carling Cup and losing and FA Cup Final have on the overall development of the club.

Like it or lump it. The best players want CL football. That's where we must be, league position is everything this year, I would even say a good UEFA cup run is more important than either of the domestic cups.

Reserves for the Carling Cup, FA Cup should not be a priority at all.

Good post! A lot has been made of us getting to 2 cup finals last year as justification of very poor league form.
    Now we all love to see Liverpool making these great cup runs, and it does give us something to cheer about.

But anyone who thinks we should be happy with cup runs and very poor league form really need to look at whats happening now, every year we slip further down the league the less attractive proposition we will be for any potential signing.

Our priority has to be the premier league this year no matter what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

The whole thing is a smokescreen. Modric to Real, Sahin to Arsenal, Song to Barca, Xabi to us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

why does Mourinho 'apparently' hate Wenger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dickerty wrote: »
    The whole thing is a smokescreen. Modric to Real, Sahin to Arsenal, Song to Barca, Xabi to us!!

If that happens, It will be our season!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Good post! A lot has been made of us getting to 2 cup finals last year as justification of very poor league form.
    Now we all love to see Liverpool making these great cup runs, and it does give us something to cheer about.

But anyone who thinks we should be happy with cup runs and very poor league form really need to look at whats happening now, every year we slip further down the league the less attractive proposition we will be for any potential signing.

Our priority has to be the premier league this year no matter what happens

The same people are those who will lament player departures and say our squad is weaker without wondering why those players decide to leave. It is time they recognised that if players like Agger leave, it will be for Champs League and potential domestic league success. At their peak, although they wouldn't admit it in public, a Carling Cup win is pretty uninspiring.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

gafferino wrote: »

Because he called him a voyeur once, and people want to believe that there is animosity there based on some things said in the heat of peak football tensions. They may hate each other, they may not. I don't think 99% of the people who pretend to know have any sort of clue about realities.

We know almost nothing about what actually happens within football clubs except the media sculpted view of things which is highly distorted, and the occasional player snippet or book release, which again is only a version of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Aiiiiin't no Sahin, Wen-ger's got'm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

i liked it more when it was the rumbellows cup (spelling not great) . It sounded more glamerous then . Now that its named after a cheap beer i couldnt be bothered with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If it's for the same reason I do then I can categorically state it's down to him looking and speaking like a sour bóllix constantly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

People need to cool their jets over Sahin. If he signs, great another quality player fighting for a place. If he doesn't, no big deal, there are lots of quality players at the club already and probably one or two more to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Ok, so we have apparently given him 24 hours to make up his mind (according to IDKs!), which is a risk for him cause if Arsenal don't agree a deal to sell Song, he could be left without either option...

Pondering whether or not to give this thread a skip until the windows closed at this stage tbh....

People losing their faith in humanity over tweets about a player joining us on loan is fairly fúckin pathetic it has to be said -There's lots of business to be done yet.

As a matter of interest - how do people feel about Ramirez to Southampton for £11/12m? If we end up not signing a CAM then will people feel Rodgers should have done more to get either himself or Siggy to sign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

cloptrop wrote: »
    i liked it more when it was the rumbellows cup (spelling not great) . It sounded more glamerous then . Now that its named after a cheap beer i couldnt be bothered with it.

Milk Cup was the best for me, won it lots too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

PRAF wrote: »
    People need to cool their jets over Sahin. If he signs, great another quality player fighting for a place. If he doesn't, no big deal, there are lots of quality players at the club already and probably one or two more to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

If we are to have any hope of a top 4 finish this year it would have to be at Arsenals expense, the Manchester clubs and Chelsea are too strong. Losing out on Sahin would not only be detrimental to us but it would also be a big boost to Arsenal:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

murpho999 wrote: »

I was more a fan of the zenith data systems cup meself

cloptrop wrote: »

Is it not the Capital One Cup now?

murpho999 wrote: »

Coca-Cola Cup/Littlewoods Cup/Milk Cup/Rumbelows Cup/Carling Cup/League Cup ....anyone got any more?

More fun than twitter related panic ! Roll on the closure of the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Coca-Cola Cup/Littlewoods Cup/Milk Cup/Rumbelows Cup/Carling Cup/League Cup ....anyone got any more?

I think Worthington Cup was another one!

Won that in 2001 as part of our 'plastic treble'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

dubdamo wrote: »
    If we are to have any hope of a top 4 finish this year it would have to be at Arsenals expense, the Manchester clubs and Chelsea are too strong. Losing out on Sahin would not only be detrimental to us but it would also be a big boost to Arsenal:mad:

Chelsea will be battling for a Champions League spot again I reckon, there are five teams who could be fighting for two spots....obviously some with better chances than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

waking up to see this headline , jaysus never seen this coming

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/7997121/Saints-agree-record-deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

1960–1982 Football League Cup
    1982–1986 Milk Cup
    1986–1990 Littlewoods Challenge Cup
    1990–1992 Rumbelows Cup
    1992–1998 Coca-Cola Cup
    1998–2003 Worthington Cup
    2003–2012 Carling Cup
    2012–2016 Capital One Cup

Who needs Twatter anyways :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Yeah read a few things like that.....that AFC have asked him to hold off while they sort out Songs future. Daily Fail running the same thing.

F365's gossip credited The S*n with that particular detail - i.e. that they contacted him directly to delay the deal. So, y'know, pinch of salt if you're putting any faith in it at all.

At this point, I'd say this is coming down to a loan fee/wages. I don't put any stock in the idea that Real don't want to strengthen a CL rival because as a loanee he wouldn't be able to play against them in the Champions' League anyway.

It's been mentioned that Tony Barrett of the Times had put our advantage over Arsenal in this down to the fact that we were paying wages in full. If that's the difference, Arsenal have obviously tried to sweeten the deal, and I'm not very optimistic at this stage, even if Mo is doing Rodgers a favour and Xabi had spoken highly of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

1960–1982 Football League Cup
    1982–1986 Milk Cup
    1986–1990 Littlewoods Challenge Cup
    1990–1992 Rumbelows Cup
    1992–1998 Coca-Cola Cup
    1998–2003 Worthington Cup
    2003–2012 Carling Cup
    2012–2016 Capital One Cup

Who needs Twatter anyways :D

Wikipedia is a different matter entirely.:pac:

dubdamo wrote: »

I agree re the Manchester clubs but I wouldn't be too sure about Chelsea and Arsenal. Chelsea have to do without Drogba and will need to change their style of play to suit Torres. They also have an oversupply of small, scheming, playmakers and will have trouble keeping them all happy. Arsenal need to do without RVP and will probably also lose Song and Wilshire (injury prone).

Realistically, we are doing ok in midfield as it is. Lucas - Allen - Stevie G isn't a bad combo. You'd have Shelvey and Hendo to rotate into that threesome when called upon. We've also got good youngsters like Suso ready to shine when called upon. We'll probably end up with at least another two players who can fill a role in there if required (Dempsey for example)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting more quality players in. However, losing out on Sahin if it happens would not be a disaster. Far from it

You can only wonder about the spin they sold this boy ! Weirdest move of the window so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

PaulieC wrote: »
    As a matter of interest - how do people feel about Ramirez to Southampton for £11/12m? If we end up not signing a CAM then will people feel Rodgers should have done more to get either himself or Siggy to sign?

Well, it's two players who were clearly gettable. We could do with an upgrade for that position as Gerrard simply won't be around the whole season. If we don't sign somebody / sign another no mark for £3m it would be reasonable to wonder what the story is imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If they get him, then it will be two decent signings by them this window as they already nabbed Clyne.

QPR also look like they might be getting Mbia which would be an excellent signing for them.

As a matter of interest - how do people feel about Ramirez to Southampton for £11/12m?

I wish I'd put a couple of euro on Ramirez signing for Southampton. I could do with a kajillion euro. That's like a signing I'd make in Football Manager. All the budget on one lad. Fair play though, it'll be interesting to see him this season.

Regarding Sahin, we're gonna hit these hurdles until we get CL football, obviously. If we get top 4, and I don't think it'll be this season, we would unlock so many options. Sh1t's heartbreaking right now, like.

Missing out on good players is one thing, but when they go to rivals in the title race, that's more cause for concern. I sometimes feel Liverpool are used to shop to other clubs at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Sappy404 wrote: »
    F365's gossip credited The S*n with that particular detail - i.e. that they contacted him directly to delay the deal. So, y'know, pinch of salt if you're putting any faith in it at all.

At this point, I'd say this is coming down to a loan fee/wages. I don't put any stock in the idea that Real don't want to strengthen a CL rival because as a loanee he wouldn't be able to play against them in the Champions' League anyway.

It's been mentioned that Tony Barrett of the Times had put our advantage over Arsenal in this down to the fact that we were paying wages in full. If that's the difference, Arsenal have obviously tried to sweeten the deal, and I'm not very optimistic at this stage, even if Mo is doing Rodgers a favour and Xabi had spoken highly of the club.
    Morientes for Monaco vs Madrid.

He'll be able to play against them in the Champions League. I think it's just domestically you can't play against your parent club.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, it's two players who were clearly gettable. We could do with an upgrade for that position as Gerrard simply won't be around the whole season. If we don't sign somebody / sign another no mark for £3m it would be reasonable to wonder what the story is imo.

What makes Assaidi a no mark? Given that we have signed no other player for less than £3m it can only be him you are talking about when you say another no mark.

He might be an unknown to people who only follow the EPL, but I would be very confident in saying that in mainland Europe he would probably be the best known of our signings this summer. Certainly more known outside of Britain than Joe Allen.

If you take a look at some of the transfer fees in Holland in recent seasons, you will see that a lot of good players have moved for fees that look tiny by EPL standards.

Kess73 wrote: »
    What makes Assaidi a no mark? Given that we have signed no other player for less than £3m it can only be him you are talking about when you say another no mark.

He might be an unknown to people who only follow the EPL, but I would be very confident in saying that in mainland Europe he would probably be the best known of our signings this summer. Certainly more known outside of Britain than Joe Allen.

If you take a look at some of the transfer fees in Holland in recent seasons, you will see that a lot of good players have moved for fees that look tiny by EPL standards.

I had never heard of him - shame on me? I'm not sure what the signing of a Fulham type signing is supposed to do for us either.

We'll have to wait until the end of the window to see the full extent of the business we do but for now it looks as though Rodgers put anchoring our midfield and putting Allen next to Lucas as his top priority in the market which is fair enough.

Our attack needs sharpening but Adam, Henderson etc. aren't what he wants for that spot so he went for Allen and got him, albeit at an inflated cost.

With Ramirez - the fact that no other team is coming in attempting to snatch him from Southampton makes me wonder about whether he's rated as highly as I originally thought he was.

I agree with the Gerrard point but I'm sure we'll do more business before the window is closed, that said - harsh enough on the new guy calling him a no mark, I know nothing of him but he looks pacy and that's something we've lacked for a long time!

1992–1998 Coca-Cola Cup

I remember when we won it in 1995(?), I nearly put a window through with a ball on my road afterwards. I hung around with Villa and Leeds fans who did not share my excitement.

I had never heard of him - shame on me? I'm not sure what the signing of a Fulham type signing is supposed to do for us either.

The signing of a Fulham type signing ? What are you on about man ?

Have the decency to watch the boy this season before rubbishing him. So we should only sign players you've heard of, and preferably pay inflated fees ? Does he not fit into much trumpeted 'No English Players' edict? Wasn't that whole tired routine about perceived lack of value?

Ridiculous. Again. You're turning into a parody of yourself !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Grayditch wrote: »
    Missing out on good players is one thing, but when they go to rivals in the title race, that's more cause for concern.

Possibly just badly phrased above, but Liverpool will be nowhere near the title race this season! Realistically, a decent season would be around 70 points, I'd expect the Manchester clubs to be in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

We'll have to wait until the end of the window to see the full extent of the business we do but for now it looks as though Rodgers put anchoring our midfield and putting Allen next to Lucas as his top priority in the market which is fair enough.

Our attack needs sharpening but Adam, Henderson etc. aren't what he wants for that spot so he went for Allen and got him, albeit at an inflated cost.

With Ramirez - the fact that no other team is coming in attempting to snatch him from Southampton makes me wonder about whether he's rated as highly as I originally thought he was.

I agree with the Gerrard point but I'm sure we'll do more business before the window is closed, that said - harsh enough on the new guy calling him a no mark, I know nothing of him but he looks pacy and that's something we've lacked for a long time!

This is something I have been thinking too. If he was highly rated around Europe surely there is no way newly promoted Southf*ckinghampton would get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Fulham type signing?.. I'm pretty sure Ajax offered him a contract that he refused, and PSV , PSG were keeping tabs on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I take it from this you aren't a fan of Dempsey? I mean he is actually a Fulham player!

Typical nonsense posting - not expensive = not good.

Let me through out a few names -

Recent
    Cabaye
    Tiote
    Valencia
    Chicharito

PL
    Hyypia
    Cantona
    RVP

• Advertisement

Maybe help us beat teams like Fulham

We need a stronger squad than we have, we need width and we need to cut teams open rather than knocking on the door for 90 mins before conceeding on the break like what happened us so many times last season.

He was lined up to join Ajax right up to last week after both clubs had agreed terms for the player. PSV and PSG were also in for him with the player publicly commenting on the PSV interest.

It looks like the Liverpool move for him is what scuppered the Ajax deal which looked Ajax had even gone as far as to report on their official site.

So it was not just Fulham that were in for him, and to suggest he would only interest that level of club would be doing the player a disservice.

Based on how he has done over the past two season the guy is not a bum and looks to have genuine talent. Whether he can continue to advance that talent can be questioned but he is certainly not a no mark and ability wise would be better, imho of course, than some of the players we currently have in our first team squad.

Have a feeling that you might get a pleasant surprise once the guy settles, and I think he will prove to be very decent cover but also might be able to stake a claim for a first team spot if he settles.

He is a surprise signing, and far from being a big name signing, but he adds to the first team squad in terms of ability rather than simply adding to it in terms of making up the numbers.

EDIT: Just to go back to the Fulham signing point of yours. Fulham signed Dembele, but I am sure that a hell of a lot of us would love to see him at Liverpool, and him being a Fulham players does not seem to be putting Real Madrid off.

This is something I have been thinking too. If he was highly rated around Europe surely there is no way newly promoted Southf*ckinghampton would get him.
    Especially at that price - Southampton are putting a large amount of money in for this guy - a player who was being linked with a number of clubs who could easily drop that kind of money on a player of his quality....strange.

That said, I'm sure he'll do well for them, might be worth a punt for FF :)

Sorry gentlemen, forgot the drill of populating the absolute most optimistic scenario for each player in; and engaging in 'ah sure, he isn't that good anyway' when we fail to bring someone in as was done with Sigurrdson earlier in the year and Francie Barrett above.

I'd be delighted for this guy to work out, but excited by his signing I am absolutely not.

For all of Lloyd's somewhat panto style negativity, there is too much OTT positivity by some people as well in this thread. I'm not pre judging anything at the moment, as I'll make up my own mind over the course of the next few months about some of these signings as Liverpool players, but using Cantona or Hyypia as a point is irrelevant as aside from the fact they first came to England 20 and 15 years ago respectively (roughly) so the transfer fee is not that relevant, there are far more failures than successes that can be pointed at, and neither group of players are relevant to how a specific new palyer will do.

Sorry gentlemen, forgot the drill of populating the absolute most optimistic scenario for each player in; and engaging in 'ah sure, he isn't that good anyway' when we fail to bring someone in as was done with Sigurrdson earlier in the year and Francie Barrett above.

I'd be delighted for this guy to work out, but excited by his signing I am absolutely not.

Did you say we should avoid buying English and avoid being ripped off? What exactly where you on about ? Does this not fit that particular bill? Manager gets a promising young player for a bargain price and you're not happy?

You're coming across as a little bit, well..err, tabloid...almost like you have an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Based on how he has done over the past two season the guy is not a bum and looks to have genuine talent. Whether he can continue to advance that talent can be questioned but he is certainly not a no mark and ability wise would be better, imho of course, than some of the players we currently have in our first team squad.

Have a feeling that you might get a pleasant surprise once the guy settles, and I think he will prove to be very decent cover but also might be able to stake a claim for a first team spot if he settles.

And imho it's far better to spend the £3million on that, than waste £35million on someone who had less than half a season in the PL.

If in 3 years our new 3million no mark has 20 league goals and 30 assists I can guarantee his fee will be measured in multiples of 3 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Kess is right. Just because we never heard of him does not make him a no mark. I posted earlier what Dutch football agent Carrie Bird said about him. She is pretty knowledgeable on Euro football. He could turn out to be a real hidden gem for a knock-down price. He was on £7k per week at Heerenveen
    & he will triple his wages at LFC. Its a fraction of Bellamy's wages which he is most likely replacing. He could become a bit of a cult hero at Anfield :)
    carrie baird ‏@carriebaird (dutch football agent)
    He's fast and zippy, a handful for a defence, he can switch it and play either wings or FW.

He's no wallflower either, he brings the swag. Martin Jol + Galatasaray wanted him. Shrewd business LFC.. Bargain.

@dinabass For the talent that he is, that fee is nothing, @JenChang88 has long been an admirer of Assaidi.. Narsingh. What a treat

Looks like somebody forgot to tell Rodgers all of his key goals for this season:
    - Improved league performance / challenge for the top 4
    - Progress in Europe and strongly compete for the cups
    - Implement a new, exciting style of play
    - Make sure you impress LuckyLloyd with your signings or else risk his withering assessments on Boards.ie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Grayditch wrote: »
    I remember when we won it in 1995(?), I nearly put a window through with a ball on my road afterwards. I hung around with Villa and Leeds fans who did not share my excitement.

I still call it that when I can't remember the name of it.

It's a NO MARK cup though, no matter how anybody dresses it up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement