Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Either we're gearing up for a hell of a disappointing end to the window (multiplied by 10 if the Agger move happens) or else we're gonna pull a rabbit out of the hat, cause as things stand this window we've been pretty uninspiring. Rodgers said he expected 1 or 2 more in, at a time when we seemed to be hopeful of getting Sahin. We've subsequently signed the Moroccan lad, so that's 1 down, potentially 1 more to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Either we're gearing up for a hell of a disappointing end to the window (multiplied by 10 if the Agger move happens) or else we're gonna pull a rabbit out of the hat, cause as things stand this window we've been pretty uninspiring. Rodgers said he expected 1 or 2 more in, at a time when we seemed to be hopeful of getting Sahin. We've subsequently signed the Moroccan lad, so that's 1 down, potentially 1 more to go.

I think he meant or said 1 or 2 more in during the next 48 hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Too early to call yet I'd say. 1 in, did as much as we could with Sahin and if we miss out, Assaidi will hardly be our last transfer. Compared to last season I think we've done ok so far.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

amiable wrote: »
    Futbol Mercado say Liverpool are currently with Nuri Sahin

and they would be?

El Spearo wrote: »
    and they would be?
    A Spanish twitter account with over 130,000 followers.
    I have no idea how reliable they are but they are followed by some Times journos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Reina/Jones

Johnson/Kelly
    Enrique/Robinson
    Skrtel/Carra
    Agger/Coates

Lucas/Spearing

Allen/Henderson

Gerrard/Shelvey

---Suarez/Downing----Borini/Carroll----Assaidi/Sterling

Plus Adam and Cole not listed.

How many more players do you think we need?

For me, Sahin would be a massive bonus, but our midfield is strong anyway.
    One quality attacking player would make a massive difference. We don't need to do much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

1 or 2 attackers (Substitute Sahin for one, as Gerrard/Shelvey can play further forward). That's all I think you need now.

Hypothetically, although the reports suggest both are unlikely, Dempsey and Sahin would be a good end to the window imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

In fairness transfers arnt something you should get too excited by
    This time last year I was all excited at the prospect of Adam Henderson downing and a fit andy Carroll
    We all know how that ended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

what has happened to the dempsey thing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

G.K. wrote: »
    Hypothetically, although the reports suggest both are unlikely, Dempsey and Sahin would be a good end to the window imo.

Agreed. I'd be delighted if we could secure those two or Sahin & a player of Dempsey's ilk (Dempsey himself seems off the cards).

Whatawaster-I think we need 1 more attacking option. Your left side of the new lad & Sterling is extremely weak unless this new fella turns into a hell of a player straight off the bat.

If we want to challenge properly for top 4 we need another top class addition, I mean top class, not just a good player like Dempsey or something.

• Advertisement

Agreed. I'd be delighted if we could secure those two or Sahin & a player of Dempsey's ilk (Dempsey himself seems off the cards).

Whatawaster-I think we need 1 more attacking option. Your left side of the new lad & Sterling is extremely weak unless this new fella turns into a hell of a player straight off the bat.

If we want to challenge properly for top 4 we need another top class addition, I mean top class, not just a good player like Dempsey or something.

I agree we need one more player for the front 3. The way I have them listed is just for illustration purposes. I expect Borini will start on the left tomorrow. Ideally, we would have 6 versatile players for the front 3 positions, plus Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Also, please sign a talented back-up keeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ape X wrote: »
    Also, please sign a talented back-up keeper!

Doni isn't gone though, he's in our PL squad

New quotes emerged from Rodgers saying club still in contact with Sahin. Source AS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

For me I think if Carragher has to play any serious part in your season he's going to cost you points. Terrific defender in his day but he hasn't the legs for the top end of the PL anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Just got word that my nephew requested is birthday be LFC themed (he's 8)...the pride shared by his parents and myself would bring a tear to the eye!

His parents (Av & Sean) have a nice collection of shirts stretching back over the years, and have decorated the house as a tribute to the clubs history through these shirts (also including LFC doggy bags which are awesome!)

So taking this opportunity to share with you my wonderful nephew (he would have been wonderful regardless but still...), and the fantastic efforts of his parents, on his birthday, and on the day LFC kick start the 12/13 season.

Happy bday chap and naturally YNWA.

LFC-1.jpg

ps. just learned that as an extra nice touch, he is getting the oldest shirt of the lot handed down to him tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

cson wrote: »
    For me I think if Carragher has to play any serious part in your season he's going to cost you points. Terrific defender in his day but he hasn't the legs for the top end of the PL anymore.

Agreed, Coates should be next in the pecking order after Agger and Skrtel. He needs gametime, looks very raw (which could end up costing points too, but still a better option than Carra imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭skippy15

Aubameyang (linked) and assaidi (purchased),
    Funnily enough I had signed both of these players in Fifa 2012 for LIverpool
    Two pacey wide players, playing of either foot and adaptable to a few positions-

Maybe our scouts are strapped for few quid and we have turned to Fifa 2012?:P

Think Dempsey take it or leave it, if Carrol is shifted def need to bring him in, if not think he would only be squad player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just got word that my nephew requested is birthday be LFC themed (he's 8)...the pride shared by his parents and myself would bring a tear to the eye!

His parents (Av & Sean) have a nice collection of shirts stretching back over the years, and have decorated the house as a tribute to the clubs history through these shirts (also including LFC doggy bags which are awesome!)

So taking this opportunity to share with you my wonderful nephew (he would have been wonderful regardless but still...), and the fantastic efforts of his parents, on his birthday, and on the day LFC kick start the 12/13 season.

LFC-1.jpg

ps. just learned that as an extra nice touch, he is getting the oldest shirt of the lot handed down to him tomorrow.

Probably about time I offered my MUFC supporting son as a sacrifice to get Sahin.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

We wont be making a top class addition and we never were going to this summer unless we went on a City style splurge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

LFC-1.jpg

Very nice collection of shirts there mate, retro shirts are brilliant. I actually always liked the bright yellow Carlsberg one for some reason, around 2006 I think was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Paully D wrote: »
    Very nice collection of shirts there mate, retro shirts are brilliant. I actually always liked the bright yellow Carlsberg one for some reason, around 2006 I think was it?

The Djimi Traore own goal one? Was 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

When I look at some of those jerseys I instantly see a player in some of them

Not sure why, but when I look at the jersey in the top left corner, with the white round collar, the player I can see wearing it is Michael Owen!

For the Candy one, I see John Barnes. And for the two directly above that, Jamie Redknapp and Steve McManaman.

Very nice collection. They need to add a keepers jersey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

We wont be making a top class addition and we never were going to this summer unless we went on a City style splurge.

The only thing that could facilitate that this summer is if we could have sold every player Rodgers wanted out. But that was utopia style thinking really.

If we (i mean Rodgers) could have got decent money for Cole and Carroll we could have used that to make a bit of a bigger splash. Funny things happen in football though, if Carroll could bring his form into this season it would be almost like a new player. Problem is game time, he is a depreciating asset all of the time he is benched. But, given an injury to Borini or Suarez he could be very handy too have about too. At the end of the day Rodgers (and us) can go on about tika taka style, its results that keeps people in jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

K-9 wrote: »
    Probably about time I offered my MUFC supporting son as a sacrifice to get Sahin.

You have failed as a father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Even Woy won his 1st league game v WBA, a drab game by any accounts, but memorable as it was the 1st time I took my son to Anfield.
    What are the predictions for today - I'm going for a win by 2 and a decent performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

One all. They score first while we get our bearings, and we equalise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Great wake to see any good news on transfers and read Segura has quit :(

If Borrell goes good luck.

It's one thing buying into a mangers philosophy, but it's another scuppering the other half of that philiosophy (Borrell & Segura) that was supposed to dove tail into Rodgers style/system . Or was that just more bullshït waffle.

Mike Marsh FFS ?!

And also I can see Barca smelling blood and coming back again for Borrell like they tried last year.

This is worse news than any player signing or loan deal falling through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm all excited like a giddy school girl, won't last long I'm sure. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I see in quite a few other sites most people tip us for 6th or 7th this year. In some ways that's fair enough, but I honestly think we will be much improved on last year. At least we will have tactics in place! And the freakish season in regards the woodwork can't happen again. We still need a couple more players but 4th isn't beyond us. There's competition for places, fellas will have to forget about price tags, and forget about non footballing issues like race rows.

We still played some great football last year at times and battered some teams but goals deserted us. We will do the same this season but we need more than Suarez to step up.

Obviously we need to stay relatively injury free, and if we can I'll go with my heart and say 4th but my head says just outside it and 5th.

Leiva wrote: »
    Great wake to see any good news on transfers and read Segura has quit :(

If Borrell goes good luck.

It's one thing buying into a mangers philosophy, but it's another scuppering the other half of that philiosophy (Borrell & Segura) that was supposed to dove tail into Rodgers style/system . Or was that just more bullshït waffle.

Mike Marsh FFS ?!

And also I can see Barca smelling blood and coming back again for Borrell like they tried last year.

What's wrong with Mike Marsh?

Segura wanted a promotion. He didn't want to be Academy Technical Director anymore. He was brought into the club to make our youth system better. Either way, he was finished in that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Mike Marsh FFS ?!

What's wrong with Marsh? This is like thinking Assaidi is poor cause he was cheap, is Marsh rubbish cause he's not Spanish??

Both Pep and Borrell are clearly highly rated, but they are part of the youth setup, not going to impact our first team chances...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

The Dola Gang has joined the LFC Superthread league. Let the games begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

LFC-1.jpg

Kept in good condition too, fair play. Half of mine are ruined from playing in them when I was young.

What's wrong with Mike Marsh?

Segura wanted a promotion. He didn't want to be Academy Technical Director anymore. He was brought into the club to make our youth system better. Either way, he was finished in that role.
    Dickerty wrote: »
    What's wrong with Marsh? This is like thinking Assaidi is poor cause he was cheap, is Marsh rubbish cause he's not Spanish??

Both Pep and Borrell are clearly highly rated, but they are part of the youth setup, not going to impact our first team chances...

I was quite excited and the prospect of the Segura promotion which seems to have also been scuppered when Rodgers wanted 100% control.

It would have been an excellent appointment imo with someone in the first team giving input who is, and has been, and knows the youth philosophy and prospects coming through .
    Don't forget some of those same exciting prospects are in their final year of contracts :o

As for Mike Marsh .. If I was Segura I would be pissed .

• Advertisement

As for Mike Marsh .. If I was Segura I would be pissed .

Mike Marsh is a coach.

Segura is a technical director. They weren't going for the same job.

The only job Segura could have moved to really was a DOF style role. I would have been happy with him in that position, would have maintained strong links between the Academy and first team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Mike Marsh has done nothing wrong at the club.

Mike Marsh is a coach.

I know but Richard Bruxton reckons Borrell may not be happy that Marsh got the promotion, and Segura (along with not getting a job as part of the 1st team holy trinity) was pissed off aswell.

No matter what way you look at it it's another momentous cock up by the owners.
    They obviously told Segura of their great plans for a new structure only to then tell Pep "sorry mate the new guy don't want it"

It may be just a matter of time til Borrell follows-which would be an absolute disaster in my mind, and where does that leave all the statements by Ayre and the owners to date?
    All our eggs would then firmly be in the Brendan Rodgers basket, and a project that was extremely difficult would now become impossible .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I know but Richard Bruxton reckons Borrell may not be happy that Marsh got the promotion, and Segura (along with not getting a job as part of the 1st team holy trinity) was pissed off aswell.

It may be just a matter of time til Borrell follows-which would be an absolute disaster in my mind, and where does that leave all the statements by Ayre and the owners to date?
    All our eggs would then firmly be in the Brendan Rodgers basket, and a project that was extremely difficult would now become impossible .

No one's irreplaceable Leiva and people move on all the time.

murpho999 wrote: »

true but it's annoying when this departure is directly linked back to another cockup by the owners .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

No matter what way you look at it it's another momentous cock up by the owners.
    They obviously told Segura of their great plans for a new structure only to then tell Pep "sorry mate the new guy don't want it"

I really wonder do your owners have any idea what they're at at all.Is there any kind of overall plan or are they just lurching from one recruitment balls up to the next?Very uncrrtain times at LFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

From my understanding, Segura had successfully implemented what he was brought in to do. He had implemented this philosophy up to 18 months ago. This was to implements a streamlined approach to coaching, to promote a particular culture of football from the reserves all the way down to under 8's. And this has been done.

I thought Segura's role was never going to be long term anyway, he more than served his purpose (and hopefully we will see the fruits of this in time to come).

As for Borrell, its easy to see that he is more of an asset to us in his current role than he is as a part of the first team set up. Borrell may be coaching the next generation of talent and Marsh the first team but that doesn't mean Marsh is above him in the pecking order.

The only worry would be if Borrell does have genuine intentions of first team coaching/management. I've yet to hear anything in relation to whether he does or not.

Supposedly he left Barca over being overlooked for a first team role. And if he was unhappy with coaching Barca's kids then I don't think he will put up with doing the same at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jayob10 wrote: »
    From my understanding, Segura had successfully implemented what he was brought in to do. He had implemented this philosophy up to 18 months ago. This was to implements a streamlined approach to coaching, to promote a particular culture of football from the reserves all the way down to under 8's. And this has been done.

I thought Segura's role was never going to be long term anyway, he more than served his purpose (and hopefully we will see the fruits of this in time to come).

As for Borrell, its easy to see that he is more of an asset to us in his current role than he is as a part of the first team set up. Borrell may be coaching the next generation of talent and Marsh the first team but that doesn't mean Marsh is above him in the pecking order.

The only worry would be if Borrell does have genuine intentions of first team coaching/management. I've yet to hear anything in relation to whether he does or not.

Supposedly he left Barca over being overlooked for a first team role. And if he was unhappy with coaching Barca's kids then I don't think he will put up with doing the same at Liverpool.

At least Borrell got promoted to managing the reserves right around this time last year, which hopefully shows him there is movement there.

true but it's annoying when this departure is directly linked back to another cockup by the owners .

What is the cock-up here?

I think it's just that the club are changing direction.

Before Rodger's appointment they were going down this director of football, group management decisions and segregation of duties structure.

Rodgers wasn't having any of it and the management structure is changing.
    I really wonder do your owners have any idea what they're at at all.Is there any kind of overall plan or are they just lurching from one recruitment balls up to the next?Very uncrrtain times at LFC.

What a melodramatic post!

These are not uncertain times like two years ago.

Rubbish.

If Borrell was promoted to first team coach you'd probably be the first to complain about our neglect of the youth team

Rubbish.

If Borrell was promoted to first team coach you'd probably be the first to complain about our neglect of the youth team

Eh....no I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

You have no idea why he quit, or what the owners did or didn't say. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a job lined up back in Spain. And unless you can show me something tangible that HE personally dis to progress us (that someone else in his position wouldn't have done), your argument is worth nothing. Just argument for arguments sake.

Rubbish.

Eh....no I wouldn't.
    Wasn't quoting you mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

There are many coaches across different sports who have skills which make them excellent with youths/underage teams but not necessarily senior squads. It is the fortunate cases where they themselves recognise their skillsets but more often than not they do aspire to the senior roles for which they are often unsuited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Thank you for your concern. It`s touching. Now go back to the Man Utd thread please.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement