Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Harsh on Downing.

And Cole & Carra's involvement falls at the feet of the manager. Carra is fine as a 4th choice CB, talk of terminating contracts is ridiculous with him. Cole should have had his contract terminated long before Aquilani.

I can't defend Downing any longer. This should be his chance, he scored against that team the other week he is under new management playing higher up the pitch yet still he fails to make any impression.

Carra is also beyond the joke, it a scandal that he got a contract extension. Even as a 4th choice he is not enough. The days of slow defenders who can't read pace is over.

I have no idea why Cole was included maybe Rodgers needed to just see if he had anything in the tank or could catch some mug managers eye. Well if so it clearly backfired. The only good news is that the injury might take oh say eight months to clear up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oscorp wrote: »
    Congrats to Steve Clarke. Hope he succeeds at WBA, fantastic start for him.

Have to say - can't help being chuffed for him specifically despite how desperate the result was.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I was not expecting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

That was absolutely humiliating to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Body language was so negative for the last 25 mins or so. Borini gave up, I thought Gerrard in particular was awful in the second half, but you could say that about so many of them.

When you go down to 10 men at the back, the one thing you want is a bit of pace back there when your sub comes on. I don't think i need to comment further on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

what can i say the red card killed us completely. disappointing first half imo we should of played with a higher tempo and tried to nick a goal as west brom did going into the 2nd half. ref had a shocker but still we were completely of the pace today. i cant see us having a worse performance than today

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭opti76

new style,players,attitude,tactics, formation.

same old ****e .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

West Brom should have bought us dinner first. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

mike65 wrote: »
    Harsh on Downing.

And Cole & Carra's involvement falls at the feet of the manager. Carra is fine as a 4th choice CB, talk of terminating contracts is ridiculous with him. Cole should have had his contract terminated long before Aquilani.

I can't defend Downing any longer. This should be his chance, he scored against that team the other week he is under new management playing higher up the pitch yet still he fails to make any impression.

Carra is also beyond the joke, it a scandal that he got a contract extension. Even as a 4th choice he is not enough. The days of slow defenders who can't read pace is over.

I have no idea why Cole was included maybe Rodgers needed to just see if he had anything in the tank or could catch some mug managers eye. Well if so it clearly backfired. The only good news is that the injury might take oh say eight months to clear up.

I agree, I've held back from criticising Downing but he can f*ck right off. A coward and sorry excuse for a footballer.

Gerrard was poor today also. Our one saviour last season, our defence, were also shockingly poor and were schooled by Shane fu*king Long.

It's only day one, but to lose 3-0 to west brom is a dark day for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The first 40 minutes were pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Gerrard has been the worst player on the pitch today by the way.

Easily the worst today. He offered nothing at all. No leadership, no guile, no workrate, and no heart or courage at all and he was like that before the first goal.

He made it very easy to see why Rodgers has been looking for a young AM type player like Sigurdsson and Sahin.

The result is galling and the worst performers today were some of the most experienced players. But I do think the result may turn out to be one of those fluke opening day hidings, which is not saying that WBA did not deserve what they got because they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

VeNBg.gif

How i feel after that pretty much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

not one player can be proud after that.
    second half was abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I shudder to think what yaya will do to us next week :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

The defence was non-existent from the minute Agger left the pitch. That is not a good sign whether he stays or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I honestly wouldnt know where to start. Not even going to comment on the game. Im a doomsdayer if i say anything.

Will just repeat what i have said all summer. Our biggest problem on the pitch are probably sitting in Boston scratching their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I said it yesterday; but if Carragher plays any significant part in your season he will cost you points. It's absolutely vital for you that Coates starts the 3 games Agger is out for. Downing is an total fraud of a footballer too, the sooner Assaidi starts the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Downing will never be a Liverpool player
    he has no courage or ability to do anything in the final third
    at least now Rodgers knows Downing can't be a regular this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Our year.

I'm going to have a drink. Anyone joining me?

Kess73 wrote: »
    Easily the worst today. He offered nothing at all. No leadership, no guile, no workrate, and no heart or courage at all and he was like that before the first goal.

He made it very easy to see why Rodgers has been looking for a young AM type player like Sigurdsson and Sahin.

The result is galling and the worst performers today were some of the most experienced players. But I do think the result may turn out to be one of those fluke opening day hidings, which is not saying that WBA did not deserve what they got because they did.

To be honest, they arguably deserved to win by a greater margin. Missed peno & Lakaku sitters spring to mind. Reina actually had a good game, made some good stops.

Interesting to note that Swansea don't skip a beat.

• Advertisement

Downing was awful, wayword crosses and couldnt get past me grandmother 1 on 1 id say. The bench was awful while the starting 11 was fine, the red card killed us like chelsea in the community shield last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I'm really píssed off with Agger.

Could you imagine if it was Carra that done it. This thread would be in meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

daithijjj wrote: »
    I honestly wouldnt know where to start. Not even going to comment on the game. Im a doomsdayer if i say anything.

Will just repeat what i have said all summer. Our biggest problem on the pitch are probably sitting in Boston scratching their heads.

Maybe i have this wrong, are you blaming FSG from our performance today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

cson wrote: »
    I said it yesterday; but if Carragher plays any significant part in your season he will cost you points. It's absolutely vital for you that Coates starts the 3 games Agger is out for. Downing is an total fraud of a footballer too, the sooner Assaidi starts the better.

It's only 1 match for a pro foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Bad first day at the office for ye lads.Lots of work to be done by rogers and co to get a team settled team on the pitch.Im an arsenal fan and and after the week weve had loosing our best player to the mancs i suppose a point today isnt a bad result.Onwards and upwards as they say.Chin up!!!

Not at all. Once a game is over, then whatever happened in it is fair game imho. There were positives from todays game, but also plenty of negatives not least the kicking of a result.

If you think certain things are worthy of a coment then go for it. At least you are the type that will back up a point and debate your opinion, and not the type that will be in the match thread slagging off Liverpool players before the team was even a goal down.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

f*ck that was depressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Downing was awful, wayword crosses and couldnt get past me grandmother 1 on 1 id say. The bench was awful while the starting 11 was fine, the red card killed us like chelsea in the community shield last week
    That's the real disappointment for me - absolutely no leadership shown on the pitch, or obvious strategy off it (edit: after Agger's red).

Not the most concerning thing right now, but Suarez needs to start wearing the same boots as when playing for Uruguay. If the majority of our chances continue to fall to him, he needs to start putting them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Well, not what i expected....however it should highlight the biggest problem we have. Scoring. Simple as that.

You cant read much into opening day games, especially not one like that...

• Advertisement

jenno86 wrote: »
    I'm really píssed off with Agger.

Could you imagine if it was Carra that done it. This thread would be in meltdown.

Carragher did make a few cock ups. See the build up for the third goal for an example of one. I don't see any meltdowns about it though.

That was absolutely humiliating to be honest

It was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i don't understand what happened , i seen signs of improvements but west brom just split our defence wide open ..

Brendan rogers going to have to show how does he cope with this result and get the team ready for next week against city

also if i see carragher name on the team sheet we are fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

I thought the much lauded Martin Kelly was rubbish today. Gerrard anonymous, we looked exposed anytime they countered, a lot of work to be done in training this week

The capitulation in the last 30 minutes was not nice to see, and it certainly showed the mental frailty of some of this group and it showed a team not fully used to their system.

So they hit the panic button. Let's not all do the same here. Pretty much everything that could go wrong went wrong from the 40th minute onwards. We compounded this by losing our heads.

I'm not sure anything can be read into this performance aside from: 1) this squad are mentally scarred and frail (we already knew this) and 2) some players not up to scratch (we already knew this too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

retalivity wrote: »
    not one player can be proud after that.
    second half was abysmal.

I actually think Jose Reina played well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

I think thats harsh. They spent alot of money last summer and got well and trully burnt. They backed the fans legend to make us great and he failed.

They are taking a more cautious approach to it this season.

Carroll, Henderson, Enrique and Adam were sitting on their asses today. Downing was utterly crap as usualy. These were all players signed by King Kenny and that outlay has burnt them badly, which in turn has handicapped the current boss from doing something similar.

The owners provided the funds and they were squandered. They were never going to bankroll another spending spree to that tune.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not at all. Once a game is over, then whatever happened in it is fair game imho. There were positives from todays game, but also plenty of negatives not least the kicking of a result.

The only positive I'd see if that Allen was decent enough.

Everything else was negative for me.

Borini was poor
    Gerrard was absolute puke
    Downing was poor
    Carragher was pants & appears to be ahead of Coates in the pecking order
    I saw Joe Cole (albeit briefly), why?
    Lucas was taken off for Joe Cole at a time when we were trailing & down to 10 men, why? We were ridiculously open after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭opti76

kelly was a real dissappointment today for me .. offered nothing. gerrard hid.. .. joe cole. pffft what can you say. carra was just confirming what a lot of us already know.. borinni would want to offer more than he did today.. luis frustrating to watch him run into players constantly... cheeky bid for shane long anyone???

joe allen did well though .. as did a clearly unfit lucas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Positives; I liked the look of Broini, Allen is a tidy player,Good to have Lucas back

Negatives; The Managers Bench, The Manages use of his Subs, Stevie G does not look fit,Suarez should not be used in the centre,

Positives going forward;To mad to think of any now!! :mad:

The only positive I'd see if that Allen was decent enough.

Everything else was negative for me.

Borini was poor
    Gerrard was absolute puke
    Downing was poor
    Carragher was pants & appears to be ahead of Coates in the pecking order
    I saw Joe Cole (albeit briefly), why?
    Lucas was taken off for Joe Cole at a time when we were trailing & down to 10 men, why? We were ridiculously open after that.

Johnson was great in the first half I thought.

I reckon Lucas was taken off partly because he was on a yellow and partly to protect him after his injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Anyone else think Gerrard needs to be dropped , he needs a fire lit under his ass pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Hoki wrote: »
    I thought the much lauded Martin Kelly was rubbish today. Gerrard anonymous, we looked exposed anytime they countered, a lot of work to be done in training this week

Kelly is limited enough, hope he turns out to be a good central defender. more is needed from a full back then he can give in fairness.

^
    Lucas was on yellow and adores the club and football so was probably raging, could've kicked out at someone and got another yellow. Game was over by then anways. The only posotive thing about cole coming in is, ironically that he's injured again. Harsh I know :D

Only 1 point behind Arsenal lads!

#stillintouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jayob10 wrote: »
    I think thats harsh. They spent alot of money last summer and got well and trully burnt. They backed the fans legend to make us great and he failed.

They are taking a more cautious approach to it this season.

Carroll, Henderson, Enrique and Adam were sitting on their asses today. Downing was utterly crap as usualy. These were all players signed by King Kenny and that outlay has burnt them badly, which in turn has handicapped the current boss from doing something similar.

The owners provided the funds and they were squandered. They were never going to bankroll another spending spree to that tune.

They didnt though, they have put **** all money into transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Next year is our year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Not happy the manager said we will have more days like this!!!

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, following his side's 3-0 defeat at West Brom: "The sending off and penalties were very, very harsh I felt. Some of the decisions went against us. We will have more days like this along the way, that is the reality, but I could not ask many more from the players. They have given me everything. We had some chances but West Brom took full advantage of the extra man.

"There were some good moments today but it was a day when everything went against us really. We just have to move on. We won't win every day. Today was a period of learning for us and we were not happy with some of the decisions, but we have to move on."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Anyone else think Gerrard needs to be dropped , he needs a fire lit under his ass pronto.

He was septic today. Gave the ball away so many times. Lost the ball in the lead up to the first pen and was slow to try get it back when he did lose it.

To be honest, they arguably deserved to win by a greater margin. Missed peno & Lakaku sitters spring to mind. Reina actually had a good game, made some good stops.

Interesting to note that Swansea don't skip a beat.

I am taking nothing away from WBA, and said as much in the match thread when I praised them for going for more goals even after they were 3 up.

The Swansea point is worthlesss though, because that type of logic could easily be twisted into "proof" that Laudrup is just inheiriting a working system, or the same logic could be used as some kind of "proof" of how bad a set up that Rodgers found waiting for him when he came to Liverpool.

The only truth that I think exists right now is one that you yourself have been very consistent about, and that is to stick with the man in charge until he has had time to show what he can or cannot do.

It does not matter at this point whether Kenny should have been given more time or not, it does not matter if Rafa should have been given more time, we are where we are and we either take the bloody nose we were given today and move on, or we start calling for a manager's head after one game.

My own mind is made up to give the guy time but to be critical when I think it is deserved. I think you are going to be proven to have a similar mindset, and I hope that the majority of the posters on here go the same way otherwise this thread is going to be hell for the next week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement