Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

djPSB wrote: »
    I dont think the current team is 100 miles away from the good team Rafa had.

Stick an in form Torres up top and its not far off.

Masch
    Xabi

---Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Torres

vs

Allen----Lucas

Borini----Gerrard---Suarez

--missing part of the jigsaw--

well at least i got a good laugh anyway, yeah not too far away :rolleyes:

a well past his prime gerrard. allen and borini would never in a million years have started under rafa if torres, masch, alonso etc were all fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

opr wrote: »
    If you promise a guy a promotion that you then can't give him which results in him leaving, that's a **** up.

Opr

What are you talking about? What promotion? How about you wait for some solid information before going off on one blaming everyone for someone leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

rossie1977 wrote: »

a well past his prime gerrard. allen and borini would never in a million years have started under rafa if torres, masch, alonso etc were all fit

I don't see how those players impede Borini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Loads of places leaked long before this that he was going to get a promotion in the new setup. I think it's pretty obvious he was told at some point he was going to get promoted. We got loads of press on the role which was going to be split in three which was abandoned when Brendan got the job.

Opr

Loads of places leaked long before this that he was going to get a promotion in the new setup. I think it's pretty obvious he was told at some point he was going to get promoted. We got loads of press on the role which was going to be split in three which was abandoned when Brendan got the job.

Opr

Thats some leap there in fairness....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Plenty of times Lucas played when we had a fit Masch on the bench.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Thats some leap there in fairness....

I know sure FSG have shown themselves to be such a competent outfit so far. Hopefully they will be involved in picking the new guy. Maybe we could see if Damien fancies coming back in a new role.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

G.K. wrote: »
    I don't see how those players impede Borini?

borini would add nothing to the liverpool 2008-09 side, suarez is the only current player who would playing instead of riera, kuyt scored 12 league goals and had 10 assists that season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Well that was a disappointment. If Carroll doesn't fit the style of play, move him on and get in a goalscorer.
    Suarez is terrible at finishing.

• Advertisement

borini would add nothing to the liverpool 2008-09 side, suarez is the only current player who would playing instead of riera, kuyt scored 12 league goals and had 10 assists that season

Judging a player on his first EPL game for his new team. Outstanding. Some people are so very very fickle.

Carroll should start against City imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

What would we be looking at to get someone like Soldado? Probably out of our league anyways. :( there must be some striker out there technically good, clinical and good movement off the ball....

I know sure FSG have shown themselves to be such a competent outfit so far. Hopefully they will be involved in picking the new guy. Maybe we could see if Damien fancies coming back in a new role.

Opr

How about addressing my post instead of banging on about the owners? Seriously, i'm not their biggest fan, far from it, however saying they offered the guy a promotion and then didnt give it to him, and then stating that thats "obviously" what happened, when you dont have the slightest idea why he left is a big leap.

You also said that source have said this? Please provide links!!......sure Van Gaal was nailed on for Dof at one stage by certain "sources" as well as others.....get your facts straight, wait for actual reasons instead of here say.

Some people need to lay off twitter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Bring back the solid defensive football Rafa had us playing!
    Scored more playing that way ,than the way we have been playing for the last 2 years

We have players to do it !!!

________Reina_____

Johnson_Skrtel_Agger_Enrique_

_________Lucas____________

__Gerrard__Henderson_Allen__

_________Suarez_______
    _______Borini___________

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That was a disgrace of a second half performance. I don't care if we were down to ten men, there was no character within the team today whatsoever. They just completely lost their shape and looked clueless.

The only player to come out of that match with his head held high was Pepe Reina and that probably says it all.

Thank Christ we're playing Hearts on Thursday. That's a handy fixture in fairness that should allow us to iron out come creases.

But f*cking hell, come Sunday, we better have been well ironed cos if we put in a similar performance, we're on the sh!t end of a cricket score!

• Advertisement

Bring back the solid defensive football Rafa had us playing!
    Scored more playing that way ,than the way we have been playing for the last 2 years

We have players to do it !!!

________Reina_____

Johnson_Skrtel_Agger_Enrique_

_________Lucas____________

__Gerrard__Henderson_Allen__

_________Suarez_______
    _______Borini___________

Scoring is still the number one problem IMO.
    We are still short two attacking players to be effective.
    We havent got great depth in a few areas but up top we are lacking something fierce.

monkey9 wrote: »
    That was a disgrace of a second half performance. I don't care if we were down to ten men, there was no character within the team today whatsoever. They just completely lost their shape and looked clueless.

The only player to come out of that match with his head held high was Pepe Reina and that probably says it all.

Thank Christ we're playing Hearts on Thursday. That's a handy fixture in fairness that should allow us to iron out come creases.

But f*cking hell, come Sunday, we better have been well ironed cos if we put in a similar performance, we're on the sh!t end of a cricket score!

There was a certain '' feeling sorry for ourselves attitude'' that came into our side last season when we were losing alot of games .. It was like ok lets lose another if we go 1-0 down, give up

No fight, Hope we can show fight like you said this time round, That this defeat hurts. And we don't give up next time we are a goal down,That we don't just quit because we concede a goal,

We havent got great depth in a few areas but up top we are lacking something fierce.

Front two of Suarez playing off Borini could be as lethal as
    tevez augero ...

tevez augero ...

I know very little about Borini to be honest. I dont think Suarez is clinical enough for us. Tevez and Aguero are excellent........Suarez and Borini? No idea but to me they are well off Aguero and Tevez standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Some mental sh!t being said here about Joe Allen! As far as i'm concerned, i'm still waiting for him to make his debut!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

some of you need to have a lie down. Some mental **** being spouted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Is Allen eligible to play in this round of the UEFA?

monkey9 wrote: »
    Some mental sh!t being said here about Joe Allen! As far as i'm concerned, i'm still waiting for him to make his debut!!!

I though he played quiet well today, don't know what your on about to be honest was our best outfield player today closely followed by GlenJo.

How about addressing my post instead of banging on about the owners? Seriously, i'm not their biggest fan, far from it, however saying they offered the guy a promotion and then didnt give it to him, and then stating that thats "obviously" what happened, when you dont have the slightest idea why he left is a big leap.

Slightest idea, Barret said he left because he was expecting a promotion which never came.
    You also said that source have said this? Please provide links!!......sure Van Gaal was nailed on for Dof at one stage by certain "sources" as well as others.....get your facts straight, wait for actual reasons instead of here say.

Some people need to lay off twitter!

I'm not sure if you're being serious. If you're then please don't wade into arguments so ill informed. Go do a bit of research yourself rather than demanding people find you links. Ian Ayre himself talked about how the role of manager as we know would change. He talked about how instead of one person being responsible for Comolli's role the responsibilities would be divided. He waffled on about this for ages at the time. This all went up in flames when Brendan was taken on as he didn't want to work in the new structure.

Opr

Slightest idea, Barret said he left because he was expecting a promotion which never came.

So from Tony Barrett saying that, you have assertained that Segura was promised a promotion and the owners "****ed up"......wow :eek:

I'm not sure if you're being serious. If you're then please don't wade into arguments so ill informed. Go do a bit of research yourself rather than demanding people find you links. Ian Ayre himself talked about how the role of manager as we know would change. He talked about how instead of one person being responsible for Comolli's role the responsibilities would be divided. He waffled on about this for ages at the time. This all went up in flames when Brendan was taken on as he didn't want to work in the new structure.

Opr

What has any of that got to do with Segura getting a promotion? :confused:
    Actually what has it got to do with anything i said?

So from Tony Barrett saying that, you have assertained that Segura was promised a promotion and the owners "****ed up"......wow :eek:

Yes, I know it's pretty shocking stuff.
    What has any of that got to do with Segura getting a promotion? :confused:
    Actually what has it got to do with anything i said?

Segura was obviously in line for one of these jobs which then didn't happen when Brendan got the job. Loads of new jobs, Segura is touted at the time as getting one, jobs not being created because of Brendan, Segura leaves. A four year old could join the dots.

Opr

Segura was obviously in line for one of these jobs which then didn't happen when Brendan got the job. Loads of new jobs, Segura is touted at the time as getting one, jobs not being created because of Brendan, Segura leaves. A four year old could join the dots.

Opr

Thats completely different to what you had stated. You said he was obviously promised a promotion, now your saying he obviously in line for one of the proposed new jobs.....

It will be interesting to see why he left. If its because he expected a promotion and never got it then thats his own business, happens all the time.....however if its because he was offered a promotion and then it was taken away, like you suggested, i'd be absolutely shocked.

I'd find it strange his nose would be so bend out of joint about a job which never actually came to exist. I remember a couple of good sources at the time saying he was moving to a new role under the new structure. If the press was getting wind of this then I can only assume it might have been intimated to him.

Either way FSG not having had the follow though to put the structures in place has been a huge failure. I was a massive believer in having someone like Segura overseeing each part of the club to ensure a common philosophy throughout the club, none of which lives or dies because of the current manager. I worry if Brendan gets a huge amount of say in how we shape our youth system, people we bring in etc. What happens if it all doesn't work out with him?

Opr

I had Suarez, Lucas and Borini in my fantasy squad, I'm sorry lads, I take full responsibility for yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Just awake & still in shock from yesterday's game....seriously bad start to our season!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Didn't loads of places report that he was moving to DOF? McParland is a manager of managers. I know sure now we have no one running the ENTIRE club except Rodgers with now even less support. Making Segura DOF would have been down right idiotic when we have such a super structure :rolleyes:

This one is in no way getting a pass from me, FSG can get to ****.

Opr

Be careful I have been debating the same issue since Friday about FSG but you will be accused of being ott . http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80298177&postcount=9039

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80305764&postcount=9335

Also it's seems all is not OK with Borrell and Bruxton predicted that Barca may come back sniffing like they did last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

tevez augero ...

This is borderline delusional I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A shocking first game all right.
    BR has a lot of work to do however and changes like the ones he needs to make dont happen overnight. Now he has an idea of the players that need looking at and perhaps a few weeks to sort them out.
    As I said earlier in the thread however, I don't think he is going to get the time he needs to change things for the club and I really fear for LFC in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kippy wrote: »
    BR has a lot of work to do however and changes like the ones he needs to make dont happen overnight. Now he has an idea of the players that need looking at and perhaps a few weeks to sort them out.
    As I said earlier in the thread however, I don't think he is going to get the time he needs to change things for the club and I really fear for LFC in general.

I don't like this general take. We got played off the park for long stretches away to FC Gomel in our actual first game of the season. The squad has issues, and they have been present before yesterday.

As for the second paragraph, he'll get time if results are halfway serviceable. He can't afford many days like yesterday, but no Liverpool manager in history could.

@DuncanCastles: Real Madrid agree to loan Nuri Sahin to Arsenal. #RMCF #AFC #LFC http://t.co/ZzXd8Vk9

Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

:(

Kick a guy when he's down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't like this general take. We got played off the park for long stretches away to FC Gomel in our actual first game of the season. The squad has issues, and they have been present before yesterday.

As for the second paragraph, he'll get time if results are halfway serviceable. He can't afford many days like yesterday, but no Liverpool manager in history could.

Yeah, that's fair. I suppose the same issues were evident before yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Just awake & still in shock from yesterday's game....seriously bad start to our season!

Just going to bed and so am I zonkkkkk

How do you think we need to do in out of our first 5 games for our start to be serviceable?

West brom (a)
    Man City (h)
    Arsenal (h)
    Sunderland (a)
    Man United (h)

I reckon 5 points from our next 4 games should be our minimum target

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

We need a angry man in midfield, someone who gets the the team consolidated and fired up when things go wrong, if its true that the referee was terrible then where was the sense of injustice from the players that would get their backs up and at least put up a fight?

BR needs to stop Hugging players, we need a ruthless boss that players respect and to some degree fear and above all fully respect.

We need the club owners and manager to see what the world and his dog have known for the last two years, we need a top class goal scorer, we need a CB that is actually going to put preasure on D & S, can you imagine D & S mentality? as in whose going to take my place, carragher? laughs, coates? no one seems to trust him.

we need a midfield general who is going to snap at the heals of the opposition and who actually is not afraid to shout at and rile his own players.

BR needs time for his system to obviously work but he simply wont get two years if results are poor and we finsih 10, 11th or 12th.

My feeling is alot of this team do not have the footballing intelligence to carry out what he wants.

Hopefully BR gets it right as i would love to seem him being successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd be a bit worried about Gerrard I have to say - not a man given to patience and subtly its fair to say. Once he loses interest in a game he is a liability and it could be Rodgers style will frustrate rather than engage our captain.

How do you think we need to do in out of our first 5 games for our start to be serviceable?

West brom (a)
    Man City (h)
    Arsenal (h)
    Sunderland (a)
    Man United (h)

I reckon 5 points from our next 4 games should be our minimum target

5 points would be fine. It would be upsetting because it would involve another loss obviously, but it would be 1ppg from a very difficult opening five fixtures. That's "serviceable".

Like it or lump it, if we don't win one of the next four, and pick up a couple of losses in the process there will be a ton of pressure. That's reality for any Liverpool manager ever. It's Man City, Arsenal, Utd but **** them - it's Anfield. Even when things were bad under Sounness, Evans, Houllier, Benitez, Hodgson and Dalglish we were tough outs in big home matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Historically we should be waking away with 3 points from each of those matches because it's anfield.

But as yesterday showed BRs style and philosophy is still in its infancy. And going on last seasons home form we should prepare ourselves.

Winter is coming

Oh the next few weeks are going to be testing .

Vicxas wrote: »
    Historically we should be waking away with 3 points from each of those matches because it's anfield.

But as yesterday showed BRs style and philosophy is still in its infancy. And going on last seasons home form we should prepare ourselves.

Winter is coming

What is a reasonable squeal point for people though?

2pts after five games okay, we're just getting going.

Norwich (a)
    Stoke (h)
    Reading (h)
    Everton (a)
    Newcastle (h)
    Chelsea (a)

What if it's 10 points after 11 games?

Wigan (h)
    Swansea (a)
    Spurs (a)
    Southampton (h)

16 after 15 games and into December?

There is a lot of idle talk of 'give the man time' but people probably aren't working out the scenarios in their head properly.

If the above comes to pass the general media pressure and attention will be suffocating, make no mistake about it. If you want to give him time, practising what you preach will be very hard in a scenario along the lines of the above. You need to be prepared for it, and steel yourself for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Vicxas wrote: »

Winter is coming

Then we have to keep the wall manned. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

kippy wrote: »

In fairness, there's no problem with people like Llyod and Alan being critical after yesterday as they have been singing off the same hymnsheet since Rodgers got the job.

But other knee jerking is just farcical.

I believe, like I did with Kenny, that if the man is given a few seasons he will do a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

But someone who can score is vital.

Suarez is a problem when he's having 7 or 8 shots in a game without scoring.

And that includes 3 or 4 very scoreable chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Norwich (a)
    Stoke (h)
    Reading (h)
    Everton (a)
    Newcastle (h)
    Chelsea (a)

Wigan (h)
    Swansea (a)
    Spurs (a)
    Southampton (h)

There is a lot of idle talk of 'give the man time' but people probably aren't working out the scenarios in their head properly.

If the above comes to pass the general media pressure and attention will be suffocating, make no mistake about it. If you want to give him time, practising what you preach will be very hard in a scenario along the lines of the above. You need to be prepared for it, and steel yourself for it.

Well, I think system of no system if that is the case after 15 matches the players will need to take a long hard look at themselves. It's all well and good laying the blame firmly at the manager's doorstep but we have a group of players that is more than capable of 'smashing' through the 16 point barrier long before the 15 game mark of the season. For example imo Luis Suarez has a alot to answer for yesterday as his finishing was pretty woeful to say the least. The manager can only prepare the players, it is up to them to perform on the day and I fear if we are only on 16 points or less after 15 games that it will be down to the players under performing more than any perceived problems with BR's famed system or whatnot.

Norwich (a)
    Stoke (h)
    Reading (h)
    Everton (a)
    Newcastle (h)
    Chelsea (a)

Wigan (h)
    Swansea (a)
    Spurs (a)
    Southampton (h)

A lot of what-if's in there, to be fair.

Yesterday we had a good 45 minutes, a goal against us we could do nothing about and then a second-half capitulation after 2 penalties and a red card went against us.

Not an ideal start, but I saw enough in 45 minutes to suggest there is a cohesion to our play even at this early stage.

It's hard to look that far ahead and imagine relegation form after almost half the season. That would be to over-react to yesterday

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement