Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

G.K. wrote: »
    It's mighty confusing how Suarez struggles to finish at 'Pool. I don't recall him having trouble with Ajax or Uruguay, so it's very odd.

His chance conversion rate has always been terrible.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2012/03/luis-suarez-9-or-10/

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

He can still score goals and thats something Liverpool cant do at the moment.
    Fowler came back and it was ok??

How do you know he can still score goals? He`s injured for 90% of every season.

Fowler didn`t play for the Mancs after he left us.

Don`t want him back. Thanks for the memories Michael but piss off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I sound settled because I am - I didn't want him appointed and I'm certain that it is a matter of "when" rather than "if" with regards to his departure in the next 24 months.

I've already explained my position in this regard - he has to achieve results to make me reconsider my outlook.

If we're averaging 1.70 ppg+ through 19 games and have advanced in the Europa League I'd have to start reconsidering.

1.7 + a game at the halfway point for you to even think about believing in a new manager?

Clever choice of number. Is what Kenny did in the first 19 games of last season, but discounts the fact that the team that is starting this season is still mostly made up of guys who only managed an average of 0.94 points per game for the final 19 games of last season.

0.94 points per game over the 19 final games last season. Sounds very similar to a few of the examples you used earlier for what would be a disaster half season or so for Rodgers.

Is not a bad number for an overall season though, as it would be a massive improvement on what the team actually managed last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Who would you like to see play on Thursday folks?

I'd like to see Assaidi and Raheem either side of Carroll in a front three, with Allen, Hendo and Jonjo in midfield. Wouldn't mind seeing Wilson in the defence either to put him in the shop window in Scotland. Flanno and Robinson should get games as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Agree with both points.

Hansen said it was definitely a penalty :confused:

When he was playing I don`t think he`d have been too happy if a decision like that was given against him.

He does my head in anyway...every time he opens his mouth I want to punch him.

Catelyn Stark theory in action yet again.

If Breaking Bad is your preference, you can also refer to it as the Skylar White theory.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Who would you like to see play on Thursday folks?

I'd like to see Assaidi and Raheem either side of Carroll in a front three, with Allen, Hendo and Jonjo in midfield. Wouldn't mind seeing Wilson in the defence either to put him in the shop window in Scotland. Flanno and Robinson should get games as well.

If we go underestimating Hearts and change practically the whole team we`re in for a world of pain. A world of fucking pain Larry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

On the two penos yesterday, if Suarez was Long both would have been judged as dives & the papers would be full of articles slating him today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We could be out of the relegation zone soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I presume the team were in at 6am today being run into the ground, were fined a weeks wages and will all have to issue a public apology to the fans after some hair dryer treatment?

Interestingly tho there have been no sounds from our captain or senior players after yesterday ( or maybe I've missed them?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He can still score goals and thats something Liverpool cant do at the moment.
    Fowler came back and it was ok??

This is an unusual line of attack from opposition fans I must admit.

Michael Owen is no longer a Premiership level footballer. /conversation.

Kess73 wrote: »
    1.7 + a game at the halfway point for you to even think about believing in a new manager?

Clever choice of number. Is what Kenny did in the first 19 games of last season, but discounts the fact that the team that is starting this season is still mostly made up of guys who only managed an average of 0.94 points per game for the final 19 games of last season.

Is not a bad number for an overall season though, as it would be a massive improvement on what the team actually managed last season.

I chose the number for a much simpler reason - it's what I would have expected from Dalglish this year, i.e. be in the CL mixer throughout the season. Rodgers gets no passes, no quarter given.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Mr Alan wrote: »
    On the two penos yesterday, if Suarez was Long both would have been judged as dives & the papers would be full of articles slating him today.

Thats bad enough but imagine Rafa "pushed" an official like Pardew did. Jesus he'd be banned for a year

I chose the number for a much simpler reason - it's what I would have expected from Dalglish this year, i.e. be in the CL mixer throughout the season. Rodgers gets no passes, no quarter given.

And if he hadn't met those expectations? Managed 50 points but won the league cup again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Mr Alan wrote: »

And rightly so.
    What Long did was questionable at best and epitomises what players will do to get an upper hand in a match.
    Long isnt Luis Suarez though.

Ye should be glad in a way that ye are still a big enough club for the papers to "go after" to be honest.

I'd add that if Stevie G weren't English the papers would have slated him for his performance yesterday as well.

Agree with both points.

Hansen said it was definitely a penalty :confused:

When he was playing I don`t think he`d have been too happy if a decision like that was given against him.

He does my head in anyway...every time he opens his mouth I want to punch him.

All of the former players from that era come across awful when talking about Liverpool in the media. I can kind of understand why that is though - the club is not what it once was, nowhere near it, and they clearly have a mental block with that fact.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    And if he hadn't met those expectations? Managed 50 points but won the league cup again?

He should get another season to get it right.

You wouldn't give it to him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Personally I could not care about being in the CL mixer save for at the business end of the season. Last season showed exactly how worthless being in the CL mixer is October or November was if you cannot get within a sniff of it at the business end.

To actually give you a number that I have already used since Rodgers joined. I would be happy is this season ended with us getting somewhere between 10 and 13 points more than we managed last season. That would show genuine improvement on last season's disaster league campaign.

I don't have a set tipping point for ya, but I do have a number that would make me a happy camper, and of course anything above it would be a fantastic bonus.

He should get another season to get it right.

50 points and you'd want him to get another season? You cent be serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

There's an awful lot of Dalglish v Rodgers sh1te going on.

It's okay to have supported Dalglish and now get behind the Rodgers as well.

All of the former players from that era come across awful when talking about Liverpool in the media. I can kind of understand why that is though - the club is not what it once was, nowhere near it, and they clearly have a mental block with that fact.

It`s not just when he`s talking about Liverpool tho...he could be talking about anything and I`d still love to punch him.

Lawro is worse tho.

I`d NEVER get tired of punching him.

• Advertisement

50 points and you'd want him to get another season? You cent be serious

If you believe in all this "system" crap and PR offensive we've been subjected to the past couple of months then, yes, barring relegation danger he should be given another season to fully implement his ideas.

I know you don't understand this though, you'll just keep engaging in the same defeating cycle of turning on a manager and hailing the next one in as a messiah.

Lloyd I'm talking about Kenny. I'm perfectly willing to give BR 3 years at least to get us doing what he wants, barring relegation

djPSB wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of Dalglish v Rodgers sh1te going on.

It's okay to have supported Dalglish and now get behind the Rodgers as well.

It's also okay to have backed Dalglish and to not be treating Rodgers as an insta messiah.

Lloyd I'm talking about Kenny. I'm perfectly willing to give BR 3 years at least to get us doing what he wants, barring relegation

Excellent, so at least we know your squeal point is below a scenario of 16 points from 15 games. I'll hold you to that commitment...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Personally, I think Hansen is one of the best pundits, Don't agree with his analysis yesterday, 1 red card, 4 yellows for us, none whatsoever for WBA, 2 penos against and the one against them not given. Dowd is a clown, Suarez booked for nothing, Long does same, does not get booked.
    At worst, I think the second peno should have been play on, just a coming together of bodies, Agger did shove Long on the first one, even if it was a slight touch, defo a peno IMO, he could have been lenient on the red though, changed the whole game

I think Brendan is going to find out very fast that we are hated and he needs to start thinking of building a chip on his shoulder and creating a siege mentality in the club

Excellent, so at least we know your squeal point is below a scenario of 16 points from 15 games. I'll hold you to that commitment...

Want to answer what I asked?
    If Kenny had kept his job and managed under your 1.7 points would you have wanted him kept on?

Personally, I think Hansen is one of the best pundits

"Terrible defending."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My squeal point is when I no longer see Rodgers as the man to take us forward. It's not a number of points

Can someone explain this whole squeal point thing for me?

Want to answer what I asked?
    If Kenny had kept his job and managed under your 1.7 points would you have wanted him kept on?

Can you not read?
    LuckyLloyd wrote:

If Dalglish hadn't achieved that in his second full season then I think it would be reasonable to consider what other options lay out there.

• Advertisement

Can you not read?

If Dalglish hadn't achieved that in his second full season then I think it would be reasonable to consider what other options lay out there.

I can read, you hadn't answered the question I asked. All you highlighted was what you would have expected of Kenny this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Only see the Liverpool game highlights this morning, but advantage was played for the first instance, he should have either called it a penalty as soon as he seen it, else goal kick from the resulting long effort after advantage was played. It's one or the other, not both as was the case.

2nd penalty was as clear cut a penalty as your likely to see, by the letter of the law. May not have looked much, but he went down as a direct result of contact from the defender. Penalty.

I'm not a Liverpool fan, just calling it how I see it.

I can read, you hadn't answered the question I asked. All you highlighted was what you would have expected of Kenny this season.

Is the rest not obvious?

Anyway, hopefully we won't have to see how long it takes you to turn on Rodgers (ideally it won't come to that), but I'll be surprised if you're the last man in here defending him if the worst pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Prediction
    Rafa to be at helm before end of season,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fenix wrote: »
    Only see the Liverpool game highlights this morning, but advantage was played for the first instance, he should have either called it a penalty as soon as he seen it, else goal kick from the resulting long effort after advantage was played. It's one or the other, not both as was the case.

It's not one or the other.

Are you crazy? Rodgers gets three years carte blanche so long as he survives relegation? No matter how good a job Rodgers did at Swansea it should never be forgotten that Swansea were already setup to play the kind of football he wanted. The systems were already in place throughout the club. It isn't like he has any track record of completely transforming the philosophy of a entire club let alone doing it within a massive club like Liverpool.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can someone explain this whole squeal point thing for me?

The point is to make Lucky Lloyd your dom!

Its entirely arbitrary and invented to hold other gullible people to account in his mind,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

2nd penalty was as clear cut a penalty as your likely to see, by the letter of the law. May not have looked much, but he went down as a direct result of contact from the defender. Penalty.

After Long ran into him. The player has to commit a foul. It was no more a foul than if you dived head first at somebodies feet and were looking for high boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Michael Owen on goals on Sunday basically just said he'd love to go back to Liverpool but hasn't got any offers. How would Liverpool fans feel about him going back after playing for the Mancs?
    I don't think there's any doubt he'd be a great signing and just what Liverpool need, on the free aswell so its not like its a big gamble.
    I cant understand why there hasn't been more speculation. Only negative I can see with him is that he's very injury prone.He might have lost some pace but as we all know you never lose the nack for scoring goals.Hes' just too good for Stoke.
    Thoughts??

Thoughts? Yep, he's a prick

• Advertisement

Is the rest not obvious?

Anyway, hopefully we won't have to see how long it takes you to turn on Rodgers (ideally it won't come to that), but I'll be surprised if you're the last man in here defending him if the worst pans out.

It should be obvious but I never know with you, afterall you wanted him kept on after last seasons disaster.

Do I have a history of turning on managers or something? I never wanted Rafa out, defended him to the very end and beyond.

Hodgson should never have got the job so won't even need commenting on.

I gave Kenny the benefit of doubt when he got the job. I didn't want him to get it originally but he started to get me changing my mind, then resorted to what I was expecting and proved I was right to have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

This is an unusual line of attack from opposition fans I must admit.

Michael Owen is no longer a Premiership level footballer. /conversation.

Lets's be honest. You don't necessarily need to be a Premiership level footballer to sign for Liverpool these days. :rolleyes:

opr wrote: »
    Are you crazy? Rodgers gets three years carte blanche so long as he survives relegation? No matter how good a job Rodgers did at Swansea it should never be forgotten that Swansea were already setup to play the kind of football he wanted. The systems were already in place throughout the club. It isn't like he has any track record of completely transforming the philosophy of a entire club let alone doing it within a massive club like Liverpool.

Opr

But he deals with the media so well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

opr wrote: »

Opr

The managers position shouldn't even be discussed after one game.

Maybe we would be in a better position to evaluate the situation after 6 months or so.

mormank wrote: »
    Lets's be honest. You don't necessarily need to be a Premiership level footballer to sign for Liverpool these days. :rolleyes:

I think that's the line of attack actually - he can then label us "deluded" for turning our noses up at Owen. AWESOME.

Maybe we would be in a better position to evaluate the situation after 6 months or so.

It's not being discussed. We're populating hypotheticals and considering how the fanbase would deal with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Kenny would never say, We are going to lose more games like this
    Roy said that though,
    Now Rodgers!

FFS you don't say these things, As soon as we are 1-0 down players remember ''ahh its ok, just another bad day la de da ''

People hung on Kennys every word last season,
    And he may of not been realistic ,But he would never say we are going to lose many more games
    He would always say , we are going to go out to win every game we play,

I don't like Rodgers saying the opposite,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Turtyturd wrote: »

It's not one or the other.

He seen the foul, played advantage, Wigan took thier opertunity, long missed a sitter. Advantage was played, not the referees fault long missed it. Had he have scored it wouldn't have been a penalty.

As someone said on goals on Sunday, it was 2 bites of the same cherry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Roy said that though,
    Now Rodgers!

FFS you don't say these things, As soon as we are 1-0 down players remember ''ahh its ok, just another bad day la de da ''

And he may of not been realistic ,But he would never say we are going to lose many more games

You're being silly. Nothing wrong with Rodgers said.

A lot wrong yesterday, that wasn't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Roy said that though,
    Now Rodgers!

Probably because it made for car crash television.

No one is talking about the managers position in relation to the game yesterday. Why do you love making up stuff to make some kind of imaginary points. My post was in relation to Rodgers having only to avoid relegation in the next three years to retain support which is madness.

Opr

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement