Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr Alan wrote: »
    & was deemed not good enough by Chelsea.

Chelsea wanted to keep him and Ancelotti was a big fan by all accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Borinis only 21!! Give him time! He hasnt even played 50 games at the top level, expecting a bit much to be getting double figures! And in the ONE full season he did play, for roma, he did get double figures. 10in 26 for them.

Also he left Chelsea, not chelsea booting him out if that makes any difference to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As always, time will reveal all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd say people are just slightly concerned that our big forward acquisition has never scored double digits in a season & was deemed not good enough by Chelsea.

He scored 10 goals last season and chelsea offered him a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Dodgy knee or not I would have taken Demba Ba as part of the Carroll deal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Exactly time is key, for all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ah so that's why they offered him a new contract.

Can't help but feel if Chelsea wanted to keep him they would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

was deemed not good enough by Chelsea.

They wanted to keep him - he wanted first team football.

Also, he was good enough for Roma and the Italian Euro 2012 squad.

He scored 10 goals last season and chelsea offered him a new contract.

I was referring to league campaigns. After all, I've been informed that no other competitions matter.

and hes only 21!!

• Advertisement

Can't help but feel if Chelsea wanted to keep him they would have.

Oh of course you do. I'm sure if Kenny signed him you wouldn't though.

I was referring to league campaigns. After all, I've been informed that no other competitions matter.

haha 9 in the league isnt enough - it has to be double figures. i dont care that youre only 20 and in your first season. and its serie A :pac::pac::pac:

In league matches he has a goal every 2.5 matches over his short career so far. When you consider he often played on the left for Roma that is impressive. It would be impressive at his age even if he played up front every match

haha 9 in the league isnt enough - it has to be double figures. i dont care that youre only 20 and in your first season. and its serie A :pac::pac::pac:

If its to be the answer to our league woes in front of goal, I'd prefer it the pedigree was a bit more certain. Seems a bit of a gamble to me. But everything about this season seems a bit of a gamble.

Him replacing a guy who only scored two league goals must be considered a huge improvement by yourself then.

I never used to mind the constant bickering between our fans and the Mancs. We were rivals, it's what you'd expect.

But the constant bickering between Liverpool fans themselves nowadays is disappointing. There is quite a divide.

Borrini is a grand signing IMO. Just that, grand. Promising talent at a reasonable fee. He's not going to make the difference between where we are and where we want to be though so, you know, excuse me for kinda overlooking him within the broad scope of our massive problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I said Borini should be in the squad. At 10m he's a good buy.

That still doesn't solve the goal problem.

Teams can often punch above their weight if they have a striker that scores a lot - look at Arsenal last year. Missing most of their good players through injury but Van Persie was fit so they came 3rd.
    If you look at the way Utd have played for years - they can play completely ****e for the majority of the match but because they've got match winners and quality up front they can score on a whim. It doesn't matter that they have no midfield and they had to resort to Johnny Evans - they've got goals out the wazoo and very nearly beat the 3rd best team in the world to the league title last season.

I don't like a midfield of Gerrard, Lucas and Adam or Henderson. It's far from ideal.
    At some point I would've hoped we'd fix it.
    But not before spending money replacing and significantly improving on Bellamy, Kuyt and Maxi. They scored 16 goals between them last season. I'll be generous and say that Borini will cover that. We'd still be in the bottom half of the league in terms of goalscoring.

2 assist for Tello tonight at HT.

Borrini is a grand signing IMO. Just that, grand. Promising talent at a reasonable fee. He's not going to make the difference between where we are and where we want to be though so, you know, excuse me for kinda overlooking him within the broad scope of our massive problems.

We aren't going to get where we want to be overnight.
    So if Borini scores 12 goals this season, 16 next season and 20 the season after then he may well be the player to get us where we want to be. Or one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Duncan Jenkins has left twitland behind as promised. Rumours that Skrtel has signed a new contract and will be announced tomorrow.

Opr

djPSB wrote: »
    I never used to mind the constant bickering between our fans and the Mancs. We were rivals, it's what you'd expect.

But the constant bickering between Liverpool fans themselves nowadays is disappointing. There is quite a divide.
    Liverpool play at Anfield, not Jonestown. I have no intention of holding hands and singing kumbaya before gulping down the Kool aid.

This club has NO shot of Champions League ball for the 2013 / 14 season and that makes me miserable. This club is withering right here, right now so you can expect animosity and unrest.

opr wrote: »
    Duncan Jenkins has left twitland behind as promised. Rumours that Skrtel has signed a new contract and will be announced tomorrow.

Opr

He says he feels like he is cutting his nose off despite his face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If lack of goals is our problem than Andy Carroll should be no where near our first team.

On Carroll, if Rodgers doesn't fancy him and we can get money (18-20m) then fine - but we'd still need two other players for depth, unless one of them was a 25 goals+ player and we could have cover given by the youngsters.

Otherwise he has to make do. Carroll can and has scored goals. He looks committed now. If we can't sell him, rather than cutting our noses off to spite our face we'd be better off just using him.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

It was never going to be an overnight fix some people thought we would start playing like Barca straight away

Liverpool play at Anfield, not Jonestown. I have no intention of holding hands and singing kumbaya before gulping down the Kool aid.

This club has NO shot of Champions League ball for the 2013 / 14 season and that makes me miserable. This club is withering right here, right now so you can expect animosity and unrest.

HAKUNA MATATA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

This club is withering right here, right now so you can expect animosity and unrest.

That is soooo last season.

So if Borini scores 12 goals this season, 16 next season and 20 the season after then he may well be the player to get us where we want to be. Or one of them.

I don't think we'll get there ever. We're ****ed beyond belief.

ush wrote: »
    This club is withering right here, right now so you can expect animosity and unrest.

That is soooo last season.
    I know right, onwards and upwards? Tikka ****ing takka 4 lyfe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

We create the chances but dont have the poacher to finish them off, would love to know Suarez finish percentage?.

Think Carroll should be given a chance, cant do any worse but its only early in season yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Does the club really need fans like Lloyd? It's embarrassing

Agger, Johnson, Skrtel, Lucas, Suarez are all quality

Gerrard still has plenty to offer as a squad player at least and Reina has looked better so far.

Allen, Borini, Henderson, Shelvey, Kelly, Coates, Sterling, Robinson are all young players with a lot of potential.

we are far from ******
    we just have a lot to do

Gerrard still has plenty to offer as a squad player at least and Reina has looked better so far.

Allen, Borini, Henderson, Shelvey, Kelly, Coates, Sterling, Robinson are all young players with a lot of potential.

we are far from ******
    we just have a lot to do

Meh, I think the wage bill will continue to be cut and I think that by the time we're replacing Rodgers 2009 will seem a very long time ago indeed. The Sahin saga is very instructive as to where we are and where we are headed unfortunately.

Couldn't close a cupboard right now.

we are far from ******
    we just have a lot to do

Meh, I think the wage bill will continue to be cut and I think that by the time we're replacing Rodgers 2009 will seem a very long time ago indeed. The Sahin saga is very instructive as to where we are and where we are headed unfortunately.

We have no choice but to cut the wage bill unfortunately. It had got completely out of hand

Sahin wanted to go to Arsenal there is nothing we can do about that

• Advertisement

choice of two teams, one in CL, other isnt. Obvious choice. Nothing to lose sleep over. No guarantee hell even be any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

gaelicred wrote: »
    Sahin wanted to go to Arsenal there is nothing we can do about that

Whats disheartening is that a few days ago we were been linked with sahin, tello and had all the excitement of a new season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

choice of two teams, one in CL, other isnt. Obvious choice. Nothing to lose sleep over. No guarantee hell even be any good.

Are you cloptrap?

No guarantees, but I'd be more positive about his chances of making a big impact on the season than Joe Allen

true.

Rodgers does seem to like choosing players hes worked with previous.

• Advertisement

After the disaster that was Hogdson and then Kenny we were never going bounce straight into top 4. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a bit thick tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lloyd, you're basing all this on not getting Sahin? This stuff happens all the time.

As for wages, Suarez got a pay rise and they got rid of players who were on big money and offered little in return so I don't see the problem with it.

We're at the very beginning of a rebuilding programme so I don't see how you can judge it so quickly.

It's unlikely we'll qualify this season for CL but we have to build towards it and it all takes time and gradual steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

What does it take for people to see the wood from the trees ?

If we are to continue in the league with our current squad then we have no hope of getting near the CL places . nada !
    We will be closer to the bottom four than the top four .

Just take a look at the other teams around us .
    People are placing all their hope in a manager with a new system . Sorry but you need the players before the system and not vice versa .

The sad truth is that the squad needs massive investment and the monies spent on proven talents, but also maintaining the few top players we have and not having to sell to buy - not for the next three seasons at least .
    I'm afraid that's not a luxury the current owners can afford.
    The PL has changed dramatically in the past four years and unfortunately for LFC it was the worst years probably of our existence . We have slipped far to much behind, and the gap is now massive.

To bridge that gap with a sell-to-buy policy will take decades .

Do we have the patience ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

@jeremy_LFC: Canal+ reporting M'vila has played his last game for Rennes. Off to Arsenal, then.

Pity we couldn't get him :(

Regarding the Sahin deal. It seems that the cost is €2m loan fee and option to buy for additional €6m. If this is correct it's another shrewd bit of business by Arsenal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Cutting the wage bill? ?
    By giving Skrtel, Suarez and possibly Agger a raise? We sold players that had no purpose to the first team squad anymore, their wages were irrelevant.

Leiva wrote: »

If we are to continue in the league with our current squad then we have no hope of getting near the CL places . nada !

People are placing all their hope in a manager with a new system . Sorry but you need the players before the system and not vice versa .

The sad truth is that the squad needs massive investment and the monies spent on proven talents, but also maintaining the few top players we have and not having to sell to buy - not for the next three seasons at least .
    The PL has changed dramatically in the past four years and unfortunately for LFC it was the worst years probably of our existence . We have slipped far to much behind, and the gap is now massive.

We cant do a City by spending millions on Players We did that under Kenny and look how that turned out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A lot here don't.

So basically we need a set of Arabs to take us over or we're going to be just above relegation?

A bit OTT no?

All you do is criticise and over-react but seem to forget that we haven't qualified for CL for last 3 years and you want it fixed overnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Melion wrote: »
    Does the club really need fans like Lloyd? It's embarrassing

Lloyd isn't being negative for the sake of it, he's worried about the club he supports.

I may not agree with him over Rodgers but he's a genuine poster, albiet one with a different viewpoint.

'Attack the post, not the poster', is the general rule. I realise you have a drastically different opinion to his but that doesn't mean you should call him embarrassing.

Well when you look at posts like this it is obvious you don't.
    The most annoying thing is the cause . Another momentous cock up by the owners .

Sooner the better people see through these chancers .

The problem for some of us is that we don't believe we're moving towards a fix.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement