Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

rossie1977 wrote: »
    why???? they are the same owners, there were spending money like it was going out of fashion in boston, they spent $300m to acquire gonzalez and crawford in december 2010 and in liverpool its a sell to buy policy, forgive me for felling sorry for them

We've had net transfer spends since they have been here. If it was a sell to buy policy we'd have needed to offload £28m worth of players to afford Allen, borini and the Assaidi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes
    Just to stress that Joe Cole has not been told he can leave #LFC. The original headline on my copy was wrong but has since been changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Whats the problem with Cole, I honestly don't understand it. He isn't a bad player and to have him as an option can only be a good thing :confused:

Not his fault the wages he was offered or the length of his deal.

It has been said numerous times. Once upon a time Cole was a good footballer but that time has past.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Problem is Cole might not want to leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i knew there'd be some doom and gloom, but this is ridiculous.

RE: Sahin - he didn't want to come, surely that is obvious. Real couldn't force him, and Arsenal were never out of the race, so Sahin stalled. it's not our fault. for all we know, we tried to close it but we couldn't without Sahin agreeing. anyone who thinks it was our fault is simply looking for something to beat the club with.

RE: our transfers. they're trying. it's easy for some to say..."spend on him and him and him"...but it's not as easy as that. our wage bill is far too high. we've got rid of some of the high earners and brought in younger players on smaller wages. that was the reality of what we had to do. Huntelaar is a complete pipe dream. he'd have never come, and his wages would have been ridiculous. i still think we'll bring in 1 or 2. it's why we seem to be trying to whore out Adam and the like.

RE: yesterday. it looks bad, but i really do believe it was a bit of a random result. we should've been winning by halftime, and got sucker punched by a mad strike. i don't excuse the team for what happened after the sending off, but there was reason for some optimism out of yesterday, if not too much. and also, it's ONE GAME!

also, there seems to be a pattern emerging. many of those who defended Kenny until the absolute death are looking for any reason to call out the present regime on anything; including a deal on Sahin that really never was because the player never really wanted it by most accounts. and those who wanted Kenny gone, are now defending Rodgers to the hilt.

it's just a funny observation.

as i said in an earlier post, the next 4 matches are huge. things could look very different one way or another after these matches. we'll either all want to slit our wrists, or we'll be booking ourselves a place in the Champions League. we're kind of like that as a fanbase :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Podolski
    Cazorla
    Giroud
    Sahin (loan/buy)
    M'Vila
    Llorante

Carlsberg don't do transfer windows but if they did ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whats the problem with Cole, I honestly don't understand it. He isn't a bad player and to have him as an option can only be a good thing :confused:

Not his fault the wages he was offered or the length of his deal.

Ah in fairness, is just past it.

Him coming on and getting injured for the umpteenth time after about 7 minutes on the pitch is just the latest.

I don't harbour animosity or anything but he is a millionaire at this stage and I would hope that he would take a pay cut to go somewhere he might play.
    Gbear wrote: »
    Because he brings those things to the table?

Indeed.

We can argue about how consistently he does it but he certainly has it in his locker to pick a pass.

Furthermore, theres about 11 days left in the transfer windown so selling Adam (which isn't entirely necessary in terms of recouping transfer fees) and being left with what we had in the centre of the pitch on Saturday seems like a daft Meireles-type move.

Disclaimer: I don't want to sound like I am delusional about Adam but with Gerrard in the form he is and Allen/Lucas/Henderson not likely to step up in the final third it seems like a relatively risk-free move to keep him at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We have Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Shelvey and Spearing for central midfield. Adam is the only really asset we can sell out of our CM's and his gametime would be very limited anyway.

It's a very easy sell for me.

We clearly have to sell to buy, so if his transfer fee can go towards an attacking player then all the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i'd say selling Adam & Cole would save a load on food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Sully34 wrote: »
    Dalglish was praised for getting rid of the deadwood out of Liverpool but now Rodgers has a job of getting rid of the deadwood Dalglish brought in

This is exactly what i speak of the odd occasion i bring it up. There is a new generation that is so easily appeased by changing manager. In 18 months if we are no better than where we seem to be, who is going to get rid of both Dalglish's and Rodgers 'deadwood'?.

Do the math. Sit back and actually think about what has gone on in the last 2 years and ask yourself this. Apart from buying a football club and a worldwide brand on the cheap (paying off the debt was a virtual requirement of sale), what exactly have FSG done for Liveprool FC?.

To my mind, nothing, nothing at all. The worldwide brand sells itself, the people before now were just so incompetent, being better than them was no great compliment. They have reinvested (not spent) the majority of money that has gone on footballers.

People should stop talking about the wages because if you listened to Tom Werner 3 months after they took over, they wanted to INCREASE them, not DECREASE them. So far, all thats happened is selling players on big wages and buying on low. People need to wake up, this club will go nowhere under them imho.

If you believe in the propaganda you will believe this.

1. Brendan Rodgers was the top target for manager.
    2. "We want to increase the wages".

There were players in the championship on the same wages that Allen and Borini (combined) are on now.

These owners are spoofers, the only thing they probably arent spoofing on is the stadium. There is no leadership anywhere in this club. Our chairman never even heard of us 2 years ago. Our man doing the deals for players is vastly out of his depth. All we have signed so far is 2 players our manager already had personal phone numbers for and a randomer very few had heard of who will earn pennies compared to some West ham players.

Eventually folk will see the wood through those trees.

• Advertisement

We have Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Shelvey and Spearing for central midfield. Adam is the only really asset we can sell out of our CM's and his gametime would be very limited anyway.

It's a very easy sell for me.

We clearly have to sell to buy, so if his transfer fee can go towards an attacking player then all the better

I think you are right there in terms of who can we sell. Obviously Lucas is our only destructor, Gerrard is the club legend and we just bought Allen.

I'd rather sell Henderson than Adam if I am honest but I agree Adam is the more marketable player. Not to mention the fact that crystalising the losses the 20m we spent on Henderson is not a very attractive prospect for the owners.

Still, he's one of the few players we didn't get screwed on in transfer fees in recent years and I think that for the outlay we spent we would be better off keeping unless we bring someone else in over the next week but that seems unlikely with all the emphasis that was (supossedly) on Sahin.

A bit more fuel on the fire never hurts.
    My two pence -

Firstly, lets get one thing straight, a small amount of research and one can see that FSG is made up of venture capitalists with portfolios as long as my arm with fingers in all kinds of sporting franchise pies.

Secondly, by their own admission before buying the club, knew absolutely **** all about football. So from that we can ascertain quite quickly that FSG were not buying the football club on some romantic prestige basis. All due dilligence would have been done based around one thing - Potential profit.

Thirdly, some one correct me if im worng, a pre requisite to buying the club, was to build a new stadium or at least address it.

Fourthly, They purchased the club incredibly undervalued.

Fifthly, how do we win over these fans? Learn from the people we bought from. Make no promises (make that sound positive because of lies) when actually that works in our favour so we can sit on our hands.

Sixth, we go on about net spend over 4 wondows? Standard Chartered 80 Million, Warrior 125 Million, a share of the current tv rights which went for billions!

They have done a wonderful job of researching the phsycolgy of the Liverpool supporter. These guys could win a presedential campaign. "Historic' 'Storied' ' Prestigeous' 'The Iconic Shankly' I find there rhetoric somewhat patronising at times.

Now they want to put a lick of paint and some beige carpets through anfield for pitence, and what better way to spin it than through our gulible sentimental minds - "Cathedral". Anfield as a modern day stadium is a **** hole, The Kop was anfield and since that was demolished bar the odd european night the atmosphere has been embaressing for some time.

These guys really are not worthy to carry this incredible club forward, it needs someoene with vision, cash to burn and someone with pride to take us back to the top. We are a speculative project, and we will only be afforded more cash for transfers should our qualification for champions league occur.

For me FSG have played a blinding PR game and spun us to death.

Im a bit of an Aul arse myself, and I know what Liverpool FC is and should be about - and just recently its become un recognisable - but hey thats just me I dont suffer fools gladly.

Opr

noodler wrote: »
    I think you are right there in terms of who can we sell. Obviously Lucas is our only destructor, Gerrard is the club legend and we just bought Allen.

I'd rather sell Henderson than Adam if I am honest but I agree Adam is the more marketable player. Not to mention the fact that crystalising the losses the 20m we spent on Henderson is not a very attractive prospect for the owners.

Still, he's one of the few players we didn't get screwed on in transfer fees in recent years and I think that for the outlay we spent we would be better off keeping unless we bring someone else in over the next week but that seems unlikely with all the emphasis that was (supossedly) on Sahin.

Henderson has a much greater upside than Adam.

He is also a better player than Adam right now imo. And much more suited to a short passing, possession style of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Tony Barrett
    "@TonyBarretTimes: Just to stress that Joe Cole has not been told he can leave #LFC. The original headline on my copy was wrong but has since been changed."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Daniel Agger is ready to sign a lucrative new deal with Liverpool and snub Manchester City - despite his red card shocker.
    Danish defender Agger is 'desperately close' to agreeing new terms with the Kop after weeks of speculation about his future at Anfield.
    Agger will be given a bumper new deal - in the region of £80,000-a-week - as a reflection of the £25 million fee slapped on his head when City came calling and even Barcelona took an interest.
    And Liverpool badly want Agger to put pen to paper immediately to give Brendan Rodgers a boost after a torrid opening defeat at West Brom where the centre-half's dismissal cost them dearly.
    Rodgers could have done with the money from a sale to re-invest in two or three new faces, but Agger has been one of the team's better performers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/daniel-agger-offered-liverpool-deal-1269478

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Where did that rubbish come from opr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

daithijjj wrote: »
    This is exactly what i speak of the odd occasion i bring it up. There is a new generation that is so easily appeased by changing manager. In 18 months if we are no better than where we seem to be, who is going to get rid of both Dalglish's and Rodgers 'deadwood'?.

Do the math. Sit back and actually think about what has gone on in the last 2 years and ask yourself this. Apart from buying a football club and a worldwide brand on the cheap (paying off the debt was a virtual requirement of sale), what exactly have FSG done for Liveprool FC?.

To my mind, nothing, nothing at all. The worldwide brand sells itself, the people before now were just so incompetent, being better than them was no great compliment. They have reinvested (not spent) the majority of money that has gone on footballers.

People should stop talking about the wages because if you listened to Tom Werner 3 months after they took over, they wanted to INCREASE them, not DECREASE them. So far, all thats happened is selling players on big wages and buying on low. People need to wake up, this club will go nowhere under them imho.

If you believe in the propaganda you will believe this.

1. Brendan Rodgers was the top target for manager.
    2. "We want to increase the wages".

There were players in the championship on the same wages that Allen and Borini (combined) are on now.

These owners are spoofers, the only thing they probably arent spoofing on is the stadium. There is no leadership anywhere in this club. Our chairman never even heard of us 2 years ago. Our man doing the deals for players is vastly out of his depth. All we have signed so far is 2 players our manager already had personal phone numbers for and a randomer very few had heard of who will earn pennies compared to some West ham players.

Just in relation to the wages,I remember only too well Tom Werner saying they wanted to increase wages, but wasn't value for money a key point as well.

So increasing the likes of Suarez is fine but having players like Kuyt, Cole & Maxi etc on £80-100K a week was not on.

Also, why has Ian Ayre become such a hate figure here, what's he done wrong?

Tony Barrett
    "@TonyBarretTimes: Just to stress that Joe Cole has not been told he can leave #LFC. The original headline on my copy was wrong but has since been changed."
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

noodler wrote: »
    Indeed.

We can argue about how consistently he does it but he certainly has it in his locker to pick a pass.

Furthermore, theres about 11 days left in the transfer windown so selling Adam (which isn't entirely necessary in terms of recouping transfer fees) and being left with what we had in the centre of the pitch on Saturday seems like a daft Meireles-type move.

Disclaimer: I don't want to sound like I am delusional about Adam but with Gerrard in the form he is and Allen/Lucas/Henderson not likely to step up in the final third it seems like a relatively risk-free move to keep him at the club.

Thing is though, picking passes isn't actually a problem. Missing sitters is.

We lack for bottle and we lack for finishing. Adam brings neither of those things and can be easily dispensed with.

Maybe if Rodgers realllly asks nicely and shows that he's willing to sell players the owners will make up the difference in another 10m attacking player. They don't need to score a million goals - Suarez will probably get 20 if he doesn't get suspended or injured, Borini has shown that he at least has a rudimentary understanding of scoring goals - he'll get 10-15. Another 10-15 goalscorer of some shape will probably just about cut it at a pinch - if our aim is top 7 this season (and the potential 10-20m odd that we get from EL).

Last season we conceded 40 goals and scored 47 in the league.
    If Lucas stays fit we can reasonably expect to better the defensive side - maybe 30-36 conceded - hopefully having 3 in midfield will improve that as well.
    But if that's the number of goals we're going to score and unless something comes out of left field (a Gerrard rebirth, Assaidi, Jonhson goes ape****, Lucas learns how to shoot), then there's no ****ing way we'll get much higher.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »

I won't be engaging in conversation with you any further. The way you talk to and treat people on this thread is a disgrace.

Opr

opr wrote: »

Opr

Whoever it is, he knows his onions.

Henderson has a much greater upside than Adam.

He is also a better player than Adam right now imo. And much more suited to a short passing, possession style of football.

I think that the faith people have in Henderson is based on hope to be honest.

I think we'd get more for Adam than Henderson if we were whoring both to the market and the only reason we aren't selling him is because he is young and so "there is always next year" and the club would be embaressed by the loss in such a short space of time.

Apart from that though, I don't personally think Henderson does anything that Lucas and Allen can't do together.

I don't want to get into a huge Henerson versus Adam debate though.

Do you reckon the 5m we would get for Adam would be used to any great purpose between now and September first?
    Gbear wrote: »
    Thing is though, picking passes isn't actually a problem. Missing sitters is.

We lack for bottle and we lack for finishing. Adam brings neither of those things and can be easily dispensed with.

Maybe if Rodgers realllly asks nicely and shows that he's willing to sell players the owners will make up the difference in another 10m attacking player. They don't need to score a million goals - Suarez will probably get 20 if he doesn't get suspended or injured, Borini has shown that he at least has a rudimentary understanding of scoring goals - he'll get 10-15. Another 10-15 goalscorer of some shape will probably just about cut it at a pinch - if our aim is top 7 this season (and the potential 10-20m odd that we get from EL).

Hey, if it will help bring in a bonafide goalscorer before the window ends then I will pack Adam's bags for him.

I do think passing was a big problem on Saturday though and that our current midfield probably (bar Gerrard) doesn't have it in their locker to pick a vital pass on a regular basis.

Even if the belief Adam does requires a bit of faith on my part - if the choice was as simple as keep Adam in the squad or don't then I know what I would prefer.

Opr

we need owners with cash to burn, that piece you quoted says.

Give me financial prudence and the club paying it's own way over a sugar-daddy owner any day of the week.

I won't be engaging in conversation with you any further. The way you talk to and treat people on this thread is a disgrace.

Opr

:)
    Wow, only word I have for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

@jeremy_LFC: Liverpool won't dally around and sulk because of the Sahin snub. The club will move on quickly to the back-up options. Isco is one.

What's the chances of getting him from Malaga ?

• Advertisement

According to the Daily Fail Sunderland are favourites to sign Adam Johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

SlickRic wrote: »
    i knew there'd be some doom and gloom, but this is ridiculous.

RE: Sahin - he didn't want to come, surely that is obvious. Real couldn't force him, and Arsenal were never out of the race, so Sahin stalled. it's not our fault. for all we know, we tried to close it but we couldn't without Sahin agreeing. anyone who thinks it was our fault is simply looking for something to beat the club with.

RE: our transfers. they're trying. it's easy for some to say..."spend on him and him and him"...but it's not as easy as that. our wage bill is far too high. we've got rid of some of the high earners and brought in younger players on smaller wages. that was the reality of what we had to do. Huntelaar is a complete pipe dream. he'd have never come, and his wages would have been ridiculous. i still think we'll bring in 1 or 2. it's why we seem to be trying to whore out Adam and the like.

RE: yesterday. it looks bad, but i really do believe it was a bit of a random result. we should've been winning by halftime, and got sucker punched by a mad strike. i don't excuse the team for what happened after the sending off, but there was reason for some optimism out of yesterday, if not too much. and also, it's ONE GAME!

also, there seems to be a pattern emerging. many of those who defended Kenny until the absolute death are looking for any reason to call out the present regime on anything; including a deal on Sahin that really never was because the player never really wanted it by most accounts. and those who wanted Kenny gone, are now defending Rodgers to the hilt.

it's just a funny observation.

as i said in an earlier post, the next 4 matches are huge. things could look very different one way or another after these matches. we'll either all want to slit our wrists, or we'll be booking ourselves a place in the Champions League. we're kind of like that as a fanbase :p

Print off that post and frame it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Opr

The LAS. Good poster. Have had some good debates with him.

Leiva wrote: »
    Podolski
    Cazorla
    Giroud
    Sahin (loan/buy)
    M'Vila
    Llorante

Carlsberg don't do transfer windows but if they did ...

Arsenal have Champions League football.

we don't.

that is so vital in bringing players in it's untrue. that's why we aren't getting established players like above.

anyone who might think otherwise is deluded.

Apart from buying a football club and a worldwide brand on the cheap (paying off the debt was a virtual requirement of sale), what exactly have FSG done for Liveprool FC?.

Inherited an ageing, overpaid squad
    Made plenty of mistakes
    Are now trying to rectify them imo

You probably called Sami Hyypia a "randomer very few had heard of" when he signed. Plenty of other examples of players from leagues we might not all watch every week who go on to do very well in the premiership. Yet you're using that signing as a black mark against our transfer policy.

You're writing off our transfer policy one game into the season. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Opr

Great post .

It seems people's eyes are starting to be opened .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Melion wrote: »

I think opr was quoting himself.

Kess73 wrote: »

People like that IMO won't be happy until we are bought by an oil tycoon and are spunking out 200m every summer. And the "Liverpool way" they all love and harp on about will be a thing of the past.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Arsenal have Champions League football.

we don't.

that is so vital in bringing players in it's untrue. that's why we aren't getting established players like above.

anyone who might think otherwise is deluded.

Wow . It was a simple post about a bunch of cracking players joining in a single window . That's all .

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just in relation to the wages,I remember only too well Tom Werner saying they wanted to increase wages, but wasn't value for money a key point as well.

So increasing the likes of Suarez is fine but having players like Kuyt, Cole & Maxi etc on £80-100K a week was not on.

Also, why has Ian Ayre become such a hate figure here, what's he done wrong?

Yes, value for money was of course part of it. I will just leave this here by saying that we were paying players more wages in the 90's than we are paying the ones we got this summer. Do you think we will go places with this mentality?.

Cole is not on that money and people should stop bringing it up. He was never paid anything as a free agent usually gets as a sign on fee, its incorporated into his wages. Maxi and Kuyt were dead ducks.

Its not 'hate', i dont 'hate' Ayre, but like David Moores, its just a case of being out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

EchoO wrote: »
    Daniel Agger is ready to sign a lucrative new deal with Liverpool and snub Manchester City - despite his red card shocker.
    Danish defender Agger is 'desperately close' to agreeing new terms with the Kop after weeks of speculation about his future at Anfield.
    Agger will be given a bumper new deal - in the region of £80,000-a-week - as a reflection of the £25 million fee slapped on his head when City came calling and even Barcelona took an interest.
    And Liverpool badly want Agger to put pen to paper immediately to give Brendan Rodgers a boost after a torrid opening defeat at West Brom where the centre-half's dismissal cost them dearly.
    Rodgers could have done with the money from a sale to re-invest in two or three new faces, but Agger has been one of the team's better performers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...l-deal-1269478

They make it sound as though he made a two footed lunge at Shane Long's knees for that penalty. to paraphrase from yesterday, if a 'more foreign' player (or even Gareth Bale) went down like Long for those penalties we'd have heard way more about it.

How much do people think it would take to pay off Joe Cole? If we offered him his signing-on fee in full and 50% of his wages up front for the next 2 years and let him leave on a free I reckon he'd go. It would work out around £35-40k a week being saved.

Kess73 wrote: »

On many topics I've had similar but this constant calling out of people over holding opinions which have a very valid basis is beyond tiresome. People who clearly love the club. I caveated my opinion on Rodgers that the structures needed to be put in place around him, none of which has happened. I'm extremely worried about things as they're unfolding. As you've mentioned, fire should be held until at least after the transfer window closes but at this point this unbounded optimism which has no basis in reality is the crazy side of the coin.

Opr

I really think with some fans FSG are being unfairly blamed for everything - Liverpool are now a brand, the globalisation of football, the legacy (mess) they inherited, that they are capitalists (shock, horror)

They have made plenty of mistakes. They put blind faith in Comolli/Dalglish and it's cost the club countless millions and set us back a couple of years.

During the dark days of Hicks & Gillett all we wanted were owners who would keep the club debt free and allow it to stand on it's own two feet, spending £20 million net a year.

That's what we're doing so far under FSG. The mess they found the club in was a manager who had to be dismissed almost immediately, a squad filled with overpaid dross (Konchesky, Poulsen, Jovanavic, Voronin) or players past their best (Kuyt, Maxi, Carragher, Gerrard) but still on huge wages. There was a hell of a lot of rebuilding to do and unfortunately most of it was put off until this summer. IMO these problems are finally being addressed.

Have they got the right man in Rodgers? Time will tell. But I can guarantee you he wasn't a quick-fix appointment, or a cheap-appointment. His appointment shows that they are in it for the long-term. He cost a lot of money to prise from Swansea and he negotiated hard terms for the job. It would have been much easier for FSG to go to Rafa or Van Gaal who were out of work and willing. They might have pushed the club up the table quicker and then FSG could have flipped the club quickly for a profit. But they aren't here for that quick profit. They may be venture capitalists, but I'm sure they are after long-term capital growth.

So yes, maybe they don't know a hell of a lot about football and they have made mistakes. But I think the abuse they get is a bit mad.

Inherited an ageing, overpaid squad
    Made plenty of mistakes
    Are now trying to rectify them imo

You probably called Sami Hyypia a "randomer very few had heard of" when he signed. Plenty of other examples of players from leagues we might not all watch every week who go on to do very well in the premiership. Yet you're using that signing as a black mark against our transfer policy.

You're writing off our transfer policy one game into the season. Ridiculous.

Why cant i have an opinion about what i think will happen in the future?

I really think with some fans FSG are being unfairly blamed for everything - Liverpool are now a brand, the globalisation of football, the legacy (mess) they inherited, that they are capitalists (shock, horror)

They have made plenty of mistakes. They put blind faith in Comolli/Dalglish and it's cost the club countless millions and set us back a couple of years.

During the dark days of Hicks & Gillett all we wanted were owners who would keep the club debt free and allow it to stand on it's own two feet, spending £20 million net a year.

That's what we're doing so far under FSG. The mess they found the club in was a manager who had to be dismissed almost immediately, a squad filled with overpaid dross (Konchesky, Poulsen, Jovanavic, Voronin) or players past their best (Kuyt, Maxi, Carragher, Gerrard) but still on huge wages. There was a hell of a lot of rebuilding to do and unfortunately most of it was put off until this summer. IMO these problems are finally being addressed.

Have they got the right man in Rodgers? Time will tell. But I can guarantee you he wasn't a quick-fix appointment, or a cheap-appointment. His appointment shows that they are in it for the long-term. He cost a lot of money to prise from Swansea and he negotiated hard terms for the job. It would have been much easier for FSG to go to Rafa or Van Gaal who were out of work and willing. They might have pushed the club up the table quicker and then FSG could have flipped the club quickly for a profit. But they aren't here for that quick profit. They may be venture capitalists, but I'm sure they are after long-term capital growth.

So yes, maybe they don't know a hell of a lot about football and they have made mistakes. But I think the abuse they get is a bit mad.

That needs to be read by everyone.

• Advertisement

On many topics I've had similar but this constant calling out of people over holding opinions which have a very valid basis is beyond tiresome. People who clearly love the club. I caveated my opinion on Rodgers that the structures needed to be put in place around him, none of which has happened. I'm extremely worried about things as they're unfolding. As you've mentioned, fire should be held until at least after the transfer window closes but at this point this unbounded optimism which has no basis in reality is the crazy side of the coin.

Opr

The Fallows guy from Man City is going to be our head of player recruitment, but he is not able to take up his role yet, I think that is what the delay is.

0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Opr

That's a pretty terrible post tbh. The lad seems to be living in the clouds.
    Fourthly, They purchased the club incredibly undervalued

These guys really are not worthy to carry this incredible club forward, it needs someoene with vision, cash to burn and someone with pride to take us back to the top. We are a speculative project, and we will only be afforded more cash for transfers should our qualification for champions league occur.

With such an undervalued club you'd people would have been falling over themselves to buy us. So basically some oil barren is what we need and nothing else will be good enough. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

but at this point this unbounded optimism which has no basis in reality is the crazy side of the coin.

Where is all this unbounded optimism though? A few people maybe, many others like myself hope rather than believe the club is going in the right direction because as fans what else can we do?

Honestly what do the posters on here that constantly bitch and moan think it will achieve? I mean it's a bit early for another "yanks out" campaign isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So FSG knowing feck all about soccer is now a major point for some! FFS

We've a few problems, FSG are part of it, as was spending the £110 Million spend under Kenny on Carroll, Downing, Henderson, Adam and Enrique.

Rodgers seriously tried for Sahin with a limited budget, Kenny, supposedly a world expert on football spunk a fortune on British talent. As uninspiring as this window is so far, its an upgrade on the last 3/4 years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Why cant i have an opinion about what i think will happen in the future?

It's quite clear that you, like me, know nothing about Assaidi. I just don't think it's fair to use his signing as an argument against our transfer policy. He could be crap, he could be average, he could be brilliant.

Leiva wrote: »
    Wow . It was a simple post about a bunch of cracking players joining in a single window . That's all .

fair enough.

it's funny that all the players you mentioned either have gone to Arsenal or have been heavily linked with Arsenal though.

and my point still stands, we could never have had that kind of transfer window, even in our wildest dreams. there's no point in even entertaining it, because you will be let down.

CL7 wrote: »
    Where is all this unbounded optimism though? A few people maybe, many others like myself hope rather than believe the club is going in the right direction because as fans what else can we do?

Honestly what do the posters on here that constantly bitch and moan think it will achieve? I mean it's a bit early for another "yanks out" campaign isn't it?

Its become a notable angle in the "anti" camp - they apparently can see a dire future with 20/20 vision while those who are hopeful that over time things will improve are considered lunatics who can't see the apocalypse front in of their eyes.

Is Assaidi eligible to play against Hearts?

I'd like to see:

Reina

Kelly
    Carragher
    Coates
    Robinson

Spearing
    Henderson

Shelvey

Assaidi
    Carroll
    Sterling

• Advertisement

I'd like to see LFC take this game very seriously. Get it wrapped up at Tynecastle, then play a weaker side in the return.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement