Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Holland, Portugal, Belgium, Germany etc are the sort of countries we should try to loan players to.

I'd much rather our youngsters learning first team football in a technical league than a physical one

The Pro League is a more physical league than the others you mentioned. The defenders and midfielders are more robust in style of play than what gets seen in the likes of Holland and France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Kess73 wrote: »
    The Pro League is a more physical league than the others you mentioned. The defenders and midfielders are more robust in style of play than what gets seen in the likes of Holland and France.

It's alright now Axel Witsel is gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Kess73 wrote: »

Excellent - we can send any South American wonderkids there (to get around work permit issues and to build up the physical side to their game) and we send everyone else to Holland or Portugal.

Win, win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

And the Netherlands speaks a decent amount of english too.

Excellent - we can send any South American wonderkids there (to get around work permit issues and to build up the physical side to their game) and we send everyone else to Holland or Portugal.

Win, win.

Be a better league to send young centre backs, DMs, and goalkeepers.

CMs, AMs, and any other attacking players I would send to Holland,or Northern France if an English club could not be found to loan them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Holland, Portugal, Belgium, Germany etc are the sort of countries we should try to loan players to.

I'd much rather our youngsters learning first team football in a technical league than a physical one

Not sure about Belgium and Portugal, but both Germany and the Netherlands have a very good reputation for their youth academies. They are very often run by former players, and kids learn decent skills from a very young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Not sure about Belgium and Portugal, but both Germany and the Netherlands have a very good reputation for their youth academies.

Look at some of the youth players who have come through Sportings youth academy - also, how moving there has helped Insua.

Belgium have a very young, potentially great team so they're obviously doing something right at underage level there also.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Look at some of the youth players who have come through Sportings youth academy - also, how moving there has helped Insua.

Belgium have a very young, potentially great team so they're obviously doing something right at underage level there also.

I'm afraid, I don't follow the league in Portugal, but the problem with Belgium seems to be, that their senior team never made any important progress since the 1980s, failed to qualify for most major tournaments. Maybe that's why the country is a bit under-rated.

Not sure about Belgium and Portugal, but both Germany and the Netherlands have a very good reputation for their youth academies. They are very often run by former players, and kids learn decent skills from a very young age.

Very good youth set up in Belgium, and is very similar to what one sees in Holland. A lot of young African players and eastern European players come through the Belgian youth set ups.

G.K. wrote: »
    And the Netherlands speaks a decent amount of english too.

Yesh, yesh they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Dickerty wrote: »
    And I see Toni Silva is off to Barnsley on a free? Looking at the two goals he scored for the youths this week, they could have a player albeit very raw still. I hope we have a sell-on clause (or is he out of contract?).

Quite odd. The Sky Sports article also saying he rejected deals from some Premier League clubs to join them.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/7928236/Tykes-set-for-Silva-lining

Opr

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Interesting stats from Saturdays game -

http://www.eplindex.com/16635/liverpool-fc-toronto-match-player-stats-analysis.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=liverpool-fc-toronto-match-player-stats-analysis

1. We made 660 passes, with 92% accuracy - the most of any LFC team since 2008!
    2. Carragher & Enrique had the most passes, and Carra, Ibe, Adorjan and Eccleston had 100% accuracy. Lucas, Aqua and Wilson all had only 1 misplaced pass.
    3. Sterling had the most tackles, winning 4 our of 5! And the only player with 2 chances created. Wilson had 3 or 3 tackles won.

SUCH a simple and quick change...

No Carra hoofs. Saying on Twitter during the match, there must have been a voice screaming hoof in his head.
    He must've only made one pass? Every time he got the ball, he seemed to run into a brick wall. Either that or they were all counted as crosses, but he found a teammate very few times.

In fairness to the lad, I think that was what his role was. Take on their LB, which he tried to do despite being double teamed for the majority of the first 45 and getting little to no change out of the ref as well, one being a yellow. Two calls in particular were fouls all day long. Didn't get much support from Wisdom at RB neither, through not fault of Wisdom it must be said as he's not familiar from what I gather at playing as RB.

I can only guess that maybe he was disappointed to have not been picked to go on the tour. Would be some what understandable when a 16 year old was picked in his position to go ahead of him. Not sure what the story is with his contract situation.

Edit Good article on the site about Rodolfo - http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodolfo-from-rubi-to-kirkby

Opr

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'm afraid, I don't follow the league in Portugal, but the problem with Belgium seems to be, that their senior team never made any important progress since the 1980s, failed to qualify for most major tournaments. Maybe that's why the country is a bit under-rated.

Belgium there is that divide between those who speak English mainly and those who speak French from what I've read and that's been the case over the years since the 80's. Throw in some of the egos as well, and similarities have been drawn between this current Belgium crop of players and the Dutch national side of the 90's with all their internal squabbling.

From a entirely footballing POV, they also need a clinical striker in their ranks. Lakaku might develop into that in the future, but at present he isn't that. De Camargo, meh. Hazard as a false 9 is an option, but just that, an option. Nothing more and likewise with Mirallas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

hefferboi wrote: »

Think he has a part to play this season. Could be a gem imo along with suso and shelvey. Sterling looks a bit raw but looks serious. I'm not expecting much from him this season though.

Didn't see the game on Saturday but looking at that compilation...Pacheco's crossing is shockingly bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

its growing legs :)...
    LFCZA ‏@LFCZA @RorySmithTimes "I ran the #Dempsey #Adam swap story. Its from a good source so there's something in it. Theory is #Adam replaces Murphy"

"Fulham, though, deny everything all the time. They denied that Liverpool had enquired after Dempsey after Liverpool had admitted it"

Ardent wrote: »
    Didn't see the game on Saturday but looking at that compilation...Pacheco's crossing is shockingly bad!!

Hard skill crossing the ball with your weaker foot. Dani is right footed.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

First Alonso, then Masch, now Adam, this is bullshit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUObN99XwzN04vI2PFNNnxAV-7nwmzRQr22xl9CaM6GECbtJymrHeHrUt6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

if spearing goes i'm handing in my membership card :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

sweetie wrote: »
    if spearing goes i'm handing in my membership card :D

It's probably been posted already but rumours that Nottingham Forest are interested in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I have no idea what you are talking about. Is Adam off to Valencia or something? Did we previously try to swap either for Dempsey?
    Is there any particular reason we shouldn't just send him on his way to the first club (professional or otherwise) that shows the slightest bit of interest?

If I saw the manager of any club reading an article in the paper about Adam, I would consider that solid interest and arrange for the free transfer.

[its possible I've missed som e sarcasm somewhere along the line lol]

On a brighter note, I've been away from the thread for a time but quite happy with Borini :)

With Lucas getting back to fitness quicker than anticipated, and Aquilani possibly having a full season with us; that's likes 3 new signings.

Its early days obviously, but I must admit I'm somehow full of confidence in BR's ability - a feeling I haven't had for a Liverpool manager in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

This summer has killed many a sense of humour it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

-Ade- wrote: »
    In fairness to the lad, I think that was what his role was. Take on their LB, which he tried to do despite being double teamed for the majority of the first 45 and getting little to no change out of the ref as well, one being a yellow. Two calls in particular were fouls all day long. Didn't get much support from Wisdom at RB neither, through not fault of Wisdom it must be said as he's not familiar from what I gather at playing as RB.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Ibe and Wisdom had good games considering they were in at the deep end (and had little to no support). Both impressed me a lot more than Suso or Adam (who a lot on here said had good games). I just thought that a stat saying 100% pass completion was a bit odd for Ibe seeing as he probably didnt complete too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I have no idea what you are talking about. Is Adam off to Valencia or something? Did we previously try to swap either for Dempsey?
    Is there any particular reason we shouldn't just send him on his way to the first club (professional or otherwise) that shows the slightest bit of interest?

If I saw the manager of any club reading an article in the paper about Adam, I would consider that solid interest and arrange for the free transfer.

On a brighter note, I've been away from the thread for a time but quite happy with Borini :)

With Lucas getting back to fitness quicker than anticipated, and Aquilani possibly having a full season with us; that's likes 3 new signings.

Its early days obviously, but I must admit I'm somehow full of confidence in BR's ability - a feeling I haven't had for a Liverpool manager in a long time.

Ahem.... yes i do believe so :D

I have literally no idea what you are talking about?
    A free transfer? Utter Madness and disrespectful. It has been documented that his corners are worth £10m alone.
    If we are that strapped for cash we could consider some sort of loan deal whereby he is only permitted to take another team's corners and they give us £10m per season.

A free transfer? Utter Madness and disrespectful. It has been documented that his corners are worth £10m alone.
    If we are that strapped for cash we could consider some sort of loan deal whereby he is only permitted to take another team's corners and they give us £10m per season.

sarcasm01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well he could just continue to take corners for us then, but we could get the opposition to pay a subsidy? They are more beneficial to the opposing team anyway from what I see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Originally Posted by Dickerty
    Interesting stats from Saturdays game -

http://www.eplindex.com/16635/liverp...stats-analysis

1. We made 660 passes, with 92% accuracy - the most of any LFC team since 2008!
    2. Carragher & Enrique had the most passes, and Carra, Ibe, Adorjan and Eccleston had 100% accuracy. Lucas, Aqua and Wilson all had only 1 misplaced pass.
    3. Sterling had the most tackles, winning 4 our of 5! And the only player with 2 chances created. Wilson had 3 or 3 tackles won.

SUCH a simple and quick change...

660 passes and we only created ONE clearcut chance, when Sterling's cross squirmed under the keeper and Morgan helped it across the line.

6 or 7 half chances, but no great saves required by their keeper or sitters missed by us.

It goes without saying that you can judge very little from a pre-season game without many of your best players, but the key to success of BR's tic-tac system will be whether he can turn lots of passes into plenty of chances - easier to get relative success using that system at Barca (where you've got the best players in the world) or Swansea (when the opposition rarely go very defensive against you) than at Liverpool. But I'm sure he has a plan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

here you go Kess....its a done deal :cool:

Toulouse ace Moussa Sissoko admits he's keen on a move to England.

Sissoko is a long-term target for Liverpool and Tottenham.

"Everybody knows I’m thirsty to learn about other leagues, especially the Premier League, which I think suits my profile," he told La Depeche du Midi.

"However, it does not mean that I have failed if I stay at Toulouse. I’m not unhappy here, I have a good position in a good club, where everything is set-up to succeed."

660 passes and we only created ONE clearcut chance, when Sterling's cross squirmed under the keeper and Morgan helped it across the line.

6 or 7 half chances, but no great saves required by their keeper or sitters missed by us.

It goes without saying that you can judge very little from a pre-season game without many of your best players, but the key to success of BR's tic-tac system will be whether he can turn lots of passes into plenty of chances - easier to get relative success using that system at Barca (where you've got the best players in the world) or Swansea (when the opposition rarely go very defensive against you) than at Liverpool. But I'm sure he has a plan...

Gone by xmas

i jest :p

gafferino wrote: »

"Everybody knows I’m thirsty to learn about other leagues, especially the Premier League, which I think suits my profile," he told La Depeche du Midi.

"However, it does not mean that I have failed if I stay at Toulouse. I’m not unhappy here, I have a good position in a good club, where everything is set-up to succeed."

He said he wanted to move to England last season as well. After watching Hazard in Chelsea's two pre season games, I think I would cry if Sissoko also ended up in London.

Sissoko alongside Lucas would be a very tasty pairing and a great base/foundation for a midfield trio in a 4-3-3 as Sissoko can play in the DM role or as a box to box CM, and his attcking link up play is decent as well. He would also add much needed pace, height, and strength in the centre of the team. Plus if Lucas got injured again, we would still have a ball winner in the team that can break up play, and if Sissoko got injured we would still have Lucas in the team.

The guy would be a genuine upgrade in the centre for us, and not squad filler like a number of our current midfield options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

You are missing a key point - if we have the ball, then the opposition can't hurt us. We lost a lot of games last season, and our home record for the last few seasons has had a lot of draws. The more possession, the less pressure on our defence, and as you bring the quality into attack, those chances will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

No. Not a plan.

A system ;)

gafferino wrote: »

Target of whom? Rafa? Roy? Kenny? Rodgers? (haha, Kenny Rodgers! :D)

He'd cost a chunk of change, but as a backup to Allen should he be overpriced?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I dont think he's going to be a back-up for anyone. I think if he does come, he will go straight into the first team.

Kenny, Comolli, Clark and a few of the club scouts were regulars at Toulouse, Montpelier and Lille games.

We were also linked to him under Rafa during the 08-09 and 09-10 seasons.

Sissoko turns 23 next month but the guy already has 5 full seasons as a first teamer under his belt and has pretty much been impressive in each of those seasons.

He has not signed a new contract extension yet, so is down to the final 11 months of his current contract.

And if we got him he would not be a back up to Lucas or the likes of Allen. Sissoko would be got for the first team as he is long gone past the back up player level of quality.

I dont think he's going to be a back-up for anyone. I think if he does come, he will go straight into the first team.

I meant a back-up target, seems like Allen is the first choice, I can't see us signing another player for CM...

He is not related to Momo Sissoko, is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I see a lot of posts about letting sterling go out on loan.I haven't seen much of him but surely if he's as good a people on here would have you believe he should be getting his chance with the first team.Can anybody please remind me of when a player went out on loan to another club and came back to be a real star? :confused:

• Advertisement

mixed up wrote: »
    I see a lot of posts about letting sterling go out on loan.I haven't seen much of him but surely if he's as good a people on here would have you believe he should be getting his chance with the first team.Can anybody please remind me of when a player went out on loan to another club and came back to be a real star? :confused:

It is very rare, but the youths have been devoid of any great talent since Owen. Warnock did well on loan and developed into a decent player.

He is not related to Momo Sissoko, is he?

Nope. But very similar in terms of build and height. I often use Momo as a way to describe how Moussa plays.

Basically take Momo's stamina, pace, ability to break up play, ability to tackle, strength, and add good ball control, a good passing range, aggression, and reading of the game. Then you have Moussa Sissoko.

A lot of people rate M'Vila as the quality young DM/CM combo type player in France but for me Sissoko is an upgrade on M'Vila and a far more consistent player in terms of churning out performances of high quality.

No. Not a plan.

A system ;)

He'll need a plan B though.......

How much are his corners worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I meant a back-up target, seems like Allen is the first choice, I can't see us signing another player for CM...

Ah right! My mistake.

Would be great if we got the both of them though :)

Off the top of my head

David Beckham, Jack Wilshere, Nuri Sahin

I don't think Sterling should be going on loan. He should be a regular on our bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

You are missing a key point - if we have the ball, then the opposition can't hurt us. We lost a lot of games last season, and our home record for the last few seasons has had a lot of draws. The more possession, the less pressure on our defence, and as you bring the quality into attack, those chances will come.
    Disagree entirely.
    90% of our opponents will be happy to sit and look at us passing it to each other, and then break quickly when they get an opportunity.

I'm not sure we have the players to play either the Barca system or the Swansea system effectively against a team set up to defend. But I'm sure Buck realises that.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Off the top of my head

Jack Wilshere, Nuri Sahin

I think both players still have a lot to prove.

I think both players still have a lot to prove.

Sahin captained Dortmund to the Bundesliga title and won player of the year if I remember correctly.

Wilshere is just brilliant.

They have hardly done it all, but both are excellent players

Disagree entirely.
    90% of our opponents will be happy to sit and look at us passing it to each other, and then break quickly when they get an opportunity.

I doubt it! We are not talking about Arsenal here, playing in front of you at the same pace and trying the same things. Real wide players, CMs who can pick a pass, ability to shoot from outside if they sit too deep. If we have lots of the ball, we will hurt them. Swansea did.
    I'm not sure we have the players to play either the Barca system or the Swansea system effectively against a team set up to defend. But I'm sure Buck realises that.

Buck only had 2 years at Swansea - he didn't buy a whole squad of passers, he trained one. His first season, he signed 6 players, 4 on free transfers, and they got promoted. So he has shown that he can train players to play that way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement