Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Just wondering (might have been discussed already), will the senior players who are just arriving in today to the squad be involved in the match against Roma?
    I wouldn't have thought they would have much time to work with Rodgers to see what he is looking for in these matches. I presume that means they may only play a very limited amount near the end.

I see some of Chelsea's english players played abit against PSG yesterday, did they come back to training abit earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Just wondering (might have been discussed already), will the senior players who are just arriving in today to the squad be involved in the match against Roma?
    I wouldn't have thought they would have much time to work with Rodgers to see what he is looking for in these matches. I presume that means they may only play a very limited amount near the end.

I see some of Chelsea's english players played abit against PSG yesterday, did they come back to training abit earlier?

I wouldn't rush it. I really want some pics of them all training though. I think maybe someone like Kelly may feature (since Wisdom was played out of position) as he didn't play any minutes, likewise Downing on LM, where Pacheco was out of position?

Let's see how Carroll looks! I am predicting a score of 3 for him in the tennis-ball keepy-uppy challenge. :D

Yeah the tour website seems to have gone asleep since the match on Saturday. The blog they had hasn't been updated since then.

I know they were probably just travelling back to Boston and training today so maybe they'll update later.

Yeah the tour website seems to have gone asleep since the match on Saturday. The blog they had hasn't been updated since then.

I know they were probably just travelling back to Boston and training today so maybe they'll update later.

And 5 hours behind. Probably working this morning to get some new content ready for today and tomorrow, matchday on Wed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sahin captained Dortmund to the Bundesliga title and won player of the year if I remember correctly.

Wilshere is just brilliant.

They have hardly done it all, but both are excellent players

Which was the 2010-11 season, because he went to Madrid, where he sort of failed to make an impression

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Which was the 2010-11 season, because he went to Madrid, where he sort of failed to make an impression

Not easy to break into a midfield with the likes of Alonso, Khedira, Ozil. He had a very good game towards the end of the season iirc, and he is still very highly rated and expected to be a future star by Madrid fans. Whether that will be at Real Madrid I'm not sure, such is the quality demanded, but he will be playing somewhere at the top level the next ten years I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Morzadec wrote: »
    Not easy to break into a midfield with the likes of Alonso, Khedira, Ozil. He had a very good game towards the end of the season iirc, and he is still very highly rated and expected to be a future star by Madrid fans. Whether that will be at Real Madrid I'm not sure, such is the quality demanded, but he will be playing somewhere at the top level the next ten years I feel.

IMO a player of his quality needs to move from RM quick before his career descends into obscurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

19m raheem sterling ‏@sterling31
    Worked my whole life 4 this nothings gonna stop me now #Faith

My take on that is that hes gotten wind of the possibility of the loan move and would rather stay at liverpool and fight for his place, good to see he has the fight about him! Hopefully he can impress rodgers in the next few games, certainly expect to see him a good bit, hopefully!

Alsoooooo....
    Ryan Babel ‏@RyanBabel Preparing The BabelCopter... :D

Could be on the move again, come home ryan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

NukaCola wrote: »
    He'll need a plan B though.......

I didn`t see an awful lot of Swansea last season and was wondering did they have a Plan B when things weren`t working out for them?

• Advertisement

IMO a player of his quality needs to move from RM quick before his career descends into obscurity.

To be honest I would probably agree with you. He could still move to another top side, even the likes of Man United. He just won't get the playing time in Madrid, especially as it looks they might sign Modric.

Anyway back on topic:

If this was to be our summer dealings I'd be very happy:

IN:

Borini £10.5m
    Ádrian (or another top forward) £15m
    Allen or Sissohko £10m
    Dempsey £8m

Total in: £43.5m

OUT:

Carroll £17m
    Adam £6m
    Kuyt £1m
    Maxi Free

Total Out: £24m

If this was the scenario we would have only spent £20m (which surely wouldn't exceed our budget) and would have (imo) significantly improved the squad, and should have enough cover to compete in all competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

To be honest I would probably agree with you. He could still move to another top side, even the likes of Man United. He just won't get the playing time in Madrid, especially as it looks they might sign Modric.

Anyway back on topic:

IN:

Borini £10.5m
    Allen or Sissohko £10m
    Dempsey £8m

OUT:

Carroll £17m
    Adam £6m
    Kuyt £1m
    Maxi Free

If this was the scenario we would have only spent £20m (which surely wouldn't exceed our budget) and would have (imo) significantly improved the squad, and should have enough cover to compete in all competitions.
    I would suspect there would be a lot less wages on the books also meaning if those figures turned out to be correct then there would be very little spend

amiable wrote: »
    I would suspect there would be a lot less wages on the books also meaning if those figures turned out to be correct then there would be very little spend

Meant to mention that but forgot - yes you're right!

The above is realistic and would be a good first step towards making us competitive again. Easier said than done to get the players you want though, but I'm still hoping that this window should turn out better than last.

It can't be much worse in fairness

Aurelio is gone too, he was probably on a few bob too so even more in the kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/365888/20120723/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-william-mclaren-arsenal-chelsea.htm

Liverpool are believed to have offered a contract to a Brazilian teenager after using an internet-based scouting program to discover youngster William McLaren.

William was brought to the attention of Liverpool scouts after his video appeared on the website 'Pnera', an internet-based project aimed at discovering talented teenagers.

The 15-year-old has now given an interview to Brazilian website globoesporte.com, revealing that he has been handed a contract by Liverpool, while he also claims there is interest from other Premier League clubs.

"A representative of Liverpool came to see me play, liked it and sent the contract," William told the Brazilian publication. "Other teams are also interested: Manchester, Chelsea and Arsenal. We'll see what happens."

The report claims that William has been handed a three-year contract by Liverpool and that he will travel to England on Saturday with his family in order to make a decision on his future.

The teenager would certainly not be the first youngster brought to the Premier league with little experience as Manchester United signed Raphael and Fabio Da Silva when they were both 17, while Chelsea plucked Lucas Piazon from Brazil when he was the same age.

William has previously had the opportunity to train with Sao Paulo but it seems his heart is set on a move to Europe where he believes he will have better opportunities to live up to his reputation as a young Neymar.

"My idol is Neymar," added William. "I've followed him since he was 14 years old, I knew he would be ace. They say I'm like him because of the speed, dribbling and passing. They put me to play in attack, but I prefer playing in the middle where I can play the ball quickly."

There has been no official announcement from Liverpool but new boss Brendan Rodgers is seemingly ready to put some faith in the youth players after handing starts to a number of academy graduates in the recent pre-season friendly against Toronto FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

William McLaren? He must be damned fast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Anyway back on topic:

IN:

Borini £10.5m
    Allen or Sissohko £10m
    Dempsey £8m

OUT:

Carroll £17m
    Adam £6m
    Kuyt £1m
    Maxi Free

You left forgot the biggest "out" of all IMO, Joe Cole. Please get rid asap.
    What an absolute unmitigated disaster of a player.

Anyway back on topic:

IN:

Borini £10.5m
    Allen or Sissohko £10m
    Dempsey £8m

OUT:

Carroll £17m
    Adam £6m
    Kuyt £1m
    Maxi Free

If it was Sissohko and not Allen from the above I would happy with that. I think Bellamy may leave also. I hope that a handful if the younger players get a run in the team this year also given the amount of games we will probably have with the Europe league.

Hopefully we can complete the Dempsey deal soon.

Our first Europa league game isn't too far away, that will be interesting to see who is left out etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Aurelio is gone too, he was probably on a few bob too so even more in the kitty

He was on a pay as you play rate, so I don't think he made that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Photos: Reds train in Boston

23rd Jul 2012
    After a day off on Sunday, Liverpool were back in training in Boston today – and our photographer was there to get these snaps from Harvard University.
    120723-011-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-013-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-015-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-016-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-017-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-018-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-020-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-023-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-028-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-031-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-033-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-034-liverpool_training_boston.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

djPSB wrote: »

He was re-signed in the summer of 2011 by Hodgson on a two year deal not a pay as you play.

• Advertisement

No sign of the euro 2012 players there yet. Maybe only arriving in today - not too sure.

That will sure rule them out of playing on Wed then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Kess73 wrote: »
    djPSB wrote: »

He was re-signed in the summer of 2011 by Hodgson on a two year deal not a pay as you play.

Good man Roy. Thought it was on a pay per game basis, must be some one else Im thinking off.

Re the photos above. It's a bad sign when Adam is leading the jogging circuits.

And watch Joe Cole with the tongue out the fat pr*ick!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

No sign of the euro 2012 players there yet. Maybe only arriving in today - not too sure.

Matt Critchley just on LFC TV now - doesn't expect the players to play a major part ( may 20 minutes )

Having 2 training sessions today

New pitch to be laid at Fenway Park - pitch not going to be great

Adam Morgan getting plenty of stick of he lads for his excited celebration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I see Daniel Agger but then again he needs less rest because he's a beast

skydish79 wrote: »
    Matt Critchley just on LFC TV now - doesn't expect the players to play a major part ( may 20 minutes )

Having 2 training sessions today

New pitch to be laid at Fenway Park - pitch not going to be great

Adam Morgan getting plenty of stick of he lads for his excited celebration

Picture of it here, looks in bad nick!:pac:
    https://p.twimg.com/AyfZsaQCMAAkD9u.jpg

PaulieC wrote: »
    I see Daniel Agger but then again he needs less rest because he's a beast

Agger has been training for a bit, he was even at melwood a few days before they even jetted off. Rodgers apparently said it was too soon for him to play on saturday with the euros and all so id say the chances of seeing any of the other lads playing wednesday are slim at best, maybe kelly and downing like someone said before. Sneeky feeling he might stick borini on aswell at some point.

Wonder will he do 11 a half again?

Also good to see cole not wearing the number 10 in the photos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

MD1990 wrote: »
    Photos: Reds train in Boston

23rd Jul 2012
    After a day off on Sunday, Liverpool were back in training in Boston today – and our photographer was there to get these snaps from Harvard University.
    120723-011-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-013-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-015-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-016-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-017-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-018-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-020-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-023-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-028-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-031-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-033-liverpool_training_boston.jpg
    120723-034-liverpool_training_boston.jpg

Cole looks knackered in them all.

My phone won't even let me type cole. That says it all:o

Knex. wrote: »
    You left forgot the biggest "out" of all IMO, Joe Cole. Please get rid asap.
    What an absolute unmitigated disaster of a player.

Didn't forget about him. I was trying to do a realistic list of players that might come and go, and, realistically speaking, I don't see Cole going anywhere I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Cole looks knackered in them all.

My phone won't even let me type cole. That says it all:o

No he doesn't. yep hard to see much of a future for him either, he was terrible the other night v Toronto.

But he looks same as anyone else in those pics, a bit tired in 1 maybe after chasing someone. The Joe Cole hate is a bit ott on here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

AyfZsaQCMAAkD9u.jpg

Jesus that pitch doesn't look healthy at all, looks like a big mickey in the bottom corner. Hope no one gets injured because of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I don't hate Joe Cole, heck I even defended him in here before but in the 3rd and 4th pic he looks more worse for wear than the rest.
    He's on fairly big wages and he offered nothing when he was here and it appears he had an average year in France, so the desire for him to leave by all is warranted.
    Adam and Carragher get a similiar level of derision in here but at least they can both offer something to the squad apart from keeping the tea ladies happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

PFL wrote: »
    AyfZsaQCMAAkD9u.jpg

Jesus that pitch doesn't look healthy at all, looks like a big mickey in the bottom corner. Hope no one gets injured because of the pitch.

Injured.....by the mickey?? Can't be that dangerous surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

PFL wrote: »
    AyfZsaQCMAAkD9u.jpg

Does Joe Cole take corners? He's not the brightest and I think this pitch could confuse him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Am I missing some elaborate joke or have you just put up the wrong link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

At this stage I'll be surprised if we keep hold of him, not sure I'll be to disappointed if we don't either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mayordenis wrote: »
    Am I missing some elaborate joke or have you just put up the wrong link?

Fixed now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Not fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Re: Joe Cole he's very similar to Duffer in that even at the peak of their powers, they always looked knackered after 2 mins of the match. It's just the way they both breathe through their mouths a lot during games. I thought he looked very fit and sharp in his loan stint, if he can reproduce that form he has a lot to offer still. He'll always be a case of unfulfilled potential though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Re: Joe Cole he's very similar to Duffer in that even at the peak of their powers, they always looked knackered after 2 mins of the match. It's just the way they both breathe through their mouths a lot during games. I thought he looked very fit and sharp in his loan stint, if he can reproduce that form he has a lot to offer still. He'll always be a case of unfulfilled potential though.

Whatever about Joe Cole, but are you calling Duffer a mouth breather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He really wasn't great on loan....i wonder why a lot of people think he done great?

I would have no problem with Joe being a squad player, but his wages are way to high for that. I dont see anyone coming in for him either unfortunatly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Had a horrible nightmare we got rid of Rodgers and brought in.......

MCLEISH!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Stevecw wrote: »
    But he looks same as anyone else in those pics, a bit tired in 1 maybe after chasing someone. The Joe Cole hate is a bit ott on here at the moment.
    The problem is Cole still has 2 years to run on an insanely expensive contract. I can't see any other club wanting him, so we might as well get whatever use out of him while we have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NukaCola wrote: »
    He really wasn't great on loan....i wonder why a lot of people think he done great?

I would have no problem with Joe being a squad player, but his wages are way to high for that. I dont see anyone coming in for him either unfortunatly

They think he was great because they didn't actually watch any of his play themselves, and instead saw a Sky documentary called "Eurostar" and other congratulatory wankery from the British media.
    The problem is Cole still has 2 years to run on an insanely expensive contract. I can't see any other club wanting him, so we might as well get whatever use out of him while we have him.

You revoke his access to training ground, stadium and all additional facilities; inform him that - while you are resigned to paying out his contract over the next two years - he will not get any opportunity to play football while he remains at the club.

That would change the equation from Cole's perspective. He'd be forced to arrange a Free Transfer elsewhere for a pay cut as he would know that two years without football would leave him completely goosed while still having a number of years to play.

He is not of any use to us as a player.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You revoke his access to training ground, stadium and all additional facilities; inform him that - while you are resigned to paying out his contract over the next two years - he will not get any opportunity to play football while he remains at the club.

That would change the equation from Cole's perspective. He'd be forced to arrange a Free Transfer elsewhere for a pay cut as he would know that two years without football would leave him completely goosed while still having a number of years to play.

That is a frankly ridiculous suggestion ( I hope it's a joke). He has done nothing wrong on us. He is an employee. How would you feel if one day, your managers decided they didn't fancy you anymore, and just locked you out and told you to find work elsewhere?

How would that look to other players on the fringes? Or to Shelvey, Sterling and Ibe who are also Londoners and would have a bit of a bond with Cole?

You've lost all perspective...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

QPR vice-chairman Amit Bhatia has confirmed that Craig Bellamy is on the club's shopping list as they plot their next transfer move.

Bellamy is currently preparing to represent Team GB at the Olympic Games, but speculation has continued to mount over where he will be plying his trade for the upcoming season.

Brendan Rodgers has expressed a desire to keep the Welshman at Anfield, while Cardiff are thought to be interested in their former player.

Bhatia has confirmed the Hoops are also keen, telling Sky Sports News: "Mark (Hughes) likes to have a long list of players so we'll see what happens.

"We've been a fan of Craig Bellamy for the last few years.

"His is definitely a name that has been mentioned but he's not the only name that we have discussed for that position so we have a few options.

"Mark has loads of names on his list and many of the players we want are wanted by other clubs.

He added: "Whoever Mark settles on, we will do our best to support him."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Short interview with Tom Werner here talking about the stadium and Andy Carroll

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7929681/Werner-backs-boss-on-Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

We're handling this Carroll stuff awfully. We're gearing ourselves to be bent over a barrell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

They think he was great because they didn't actually watch any of his play themselves, and instead saw a Sky documentary called "Eurostar" and other congratulatory wankery from the British media.

If you're serious then you're very deluded. Pack it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

See you in court.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    We're handling this Carroll stuff awfully. We're gearing ourselves to be bent over a barrell.

What did he say that says that? He said he was a good player and Rodgers would decide who was in his plans.

How DARE he!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement