Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Mr Alan wrote: »
    We're handling this Carroll stuff awfully. We're gearing ourselves to be bent over a barrell.

I dont know Al....he basically just backed the manager there i feel....

However, i'm more concerned about what he said on Rodgers style.

"Brendan brings a very thoughtful, modern, attacking philosophy.
    "I think our fans will be very delighted with the attacking philosophy that he brings to Liverpool and hopefully we'll see improvement."

Does Rodgers have an attacking philosophy? or did i miss something. Swansea, if anything, were very well organised in defense last season as well as doing well going forward but i would not say it was attacking at all.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They think he was great because they didn't actually watch any of his play themselves, and instead saw a Sky documentary called "Eurostar" and other congratulatory wankery from the British media..

A documentary.....wow, how did i miss that? Any use?

Your suggestion on Cole leaving is probably the only way it could happen, lol....however i somehow think the club wont seek that approach somehow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

NukaCola wrote: »
    I dont know Al....he basically just backed the manager there i feel....

However, i'm more concerned about what he said on Rodgers style.

"Brendan brings a very thoughtful, modern, attacking philosophy.
    "I think our fans will be very delighted with the attacking philosophy that he brings to Liverpool and hopefully we'll see improvement."

Does Rodgers have an attacking philosophy? or did i miss something. Swansea, if anything, were very well organised in defense last season as well as doing well going forward but i would not say it was attacking at all.

The counter attack is some kind of attack ;)

And about being organised in the defense, if you don't concede a goal, you will at least get a draw...and that's enough of all those typical trivia stuff about football :D

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Had a horrible nightmare we got rid of Rodgers and brought in.......

MCLEISH!!

Andy would be delighted, he'd fit into his system and philosophy :p

Lars1916 wrote: »
    The counter attack is some kind of attack ;)

And about being organised in the defense, if you don't concede a goal, you will at least get a draw...and that's enough of all those typical trivia stuff about football :D

I have a feeling LFC will see a whole lot of draws next season. Unless we rejig the frontline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dickerty wrote: »
    What did he say that says that? He said he was a good player and Rodgers would decide who was in his plans.

How DARE he!!! :rolleyes:
    Ah come on now. It's been self evident for weeks now that Andy Carroll has no future at this club. The manager knows he doesn't fit the system, and now the Chairman has come out and publically backed the manager. Andy was a goner two weeks ago, and is still a goner today. I don't understand why some folks are so emotionally attached to a player who had what can only be described as a mediocre season at very best last year.

With the season starting, we need to get behind the manager and support his changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I have a feeling LFC will see a whole lot of draws next season. Unless we rejig the frontline.

Isn't that what we are in the middle of? Trying to sell Carroll, trying to buy Dempsey, buying Borini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

We're handling this Carroll stuff awfully. We're gearing ourselves to be bent over for Carroll.

FYP :P

Isn't that what we are in the middle of? Trying to sell Carroll, trying to buy Dempsey, buying Borini?

I dont know, being honest. I assume so. Its all rumours, so until i see a signing then i think we'll see a lot of draws.

We'll need two more attacking options at least. With Carroll going we will need another ST. Do you see us making 3 more signings before the Start of the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

We're handling this Carroll stuff awfully. We're gearing ourselves to be bent over a barrell.

Familiar territory so :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You revoke his access to training ground, stadium and all additional facilities; inform him that - while you are resigned to paying out his contract over the next two years - he will not get any opportunity to play football while he remains at the club.

That would change the equation from Cole's perspective. He'd be forced to arrange a Free Transfer elsewhere for a pay cut as he would know that two years without football would leave him completely goosed while still having a number of years to play.

He is not of any use to us as a player.

You have heard of constructive dismissal?

Ah come on now. It's been self evident for weeks now that Andy Carroll has no future at this club. The manager knows he doesn't fit the system, and now the Chairman has come out and publically backed the manager. Andy was a goner two weeks ago, and is still a goner today. I don't understand why some folks are so emotionally attached to a player who had what can only be described as a mediocre season at very best last year.

I am not defending the player at all, just picking holes (fish in a barrell?) in Mr Alan's statement that Werner's interview leds anything to the argument that we are handling it terribly. He says basically nothing new and pushes back to it being the manager's decision.

I am tempted to ask WWAD (What Would Alan Do?), but I am afraid the reply will cause much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth...

I am not defending the player at all, just picking holes (fish in a barrell?) in Mr Alan's statement that Werner's interview leds anything to the argument that we are handling it terribly. He says basically nothing new and pushes back to it being the manager's decision.

I am tempted to ask WWAD (What Would Alan Do?), but I am afraid the reply will cause much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth...

I think that would be obvious....and well documented here...

I dont know, being honest. I assume so. Its all rumours, so until i see a signing then i think we'll see a lot of draws.

We'll need two more attacking options at least. With Carroll going we will need another ST. Do you see us making 3 more signings before the Start of the season?

If Carroll goes, yes. A CM (Allen or other), Dempsey (with one of our CMs going out) and one other.

I would say it is basically impossible to suggest how our results will pan out, but if we keep our best defence intact (Reina, Jose, Dagger, Skittles, Glen), with Lucas protecting, and we add some more attacking talent (Dempsey, Borini and even Aqua for Carroll, Downing and Adam), then I would certainly expect more goals and more wins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Thinking about this last night:

I think we all agree that our first choice defenders are pretty good. Then we have Lucas who will play the holding role (potentially excellent if he gets fully fit and back to form. Then we have Gerrard who is probably the best attacking / scoring mid-fielder who is great at arriving late into the box (equivalent to Sigurdson role for Swansea). Then we have Borini and Suarez as two of our attacking 3. So we really only need to fill one more of the midfield 3 and one more attacker. Currently they look like they could be filled by Henderson and Dempsey (if he arrives).

We all know that we have a load of midfielders who could do a job there but to be a really top team I think another top midfielder and attacker are still needed. Sissohko and a Gaston Ramierez (type) would be ideal I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

You revoke his access to training ground, stadium and all additional facilities; inform him that - while you are resigned to paying out his contract over the next two years - he will not get any opportunity to play football while he remains at the club.

That would change the equation from Cole's perspective. He'd be forced to arrange a Free Transfer elsewhere for a pay cut as he would know that two years without football would leave him completely goosed while still having a number of years to play.

Seriously, would you not just go away til September? You used to be a good poster but all this **** with Kenny has sent you over the edge and you are just embarrassing yourself on a daily basis now. It's quite sad to see really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That is a frankly ridiculous suggestion ( I hope it's a joke). He has done nothing wrong on us. He is an employee. How would you feel if one day, your managers decided they didn't fancy you anymore, and just locked you out and told you to find work elsewhere?

How would that look to other players on the fringes? Or to Shelvey, Sterling and Ibe who are also Londoners and would have a bit of a bond with Cole?

You've lost all perspective...

Gardening leave happens; Bogarde being excluded from Senior Team meetings and being left to rot in the reserves happened and your very specific example above happens too.

If young players have a bond with Cole that is precisely the problem in having him around the squad. You have a dude who is lazy and failing giving them advice, etc. Shudder.

hefferboi wrote: »
    If you're serious then you're very deluded. Pack it in.
    RayCon wrote: »
    See you in court.

"Gardening Leave"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

"Gardening Leave"

You aren't talking about Gardening Leave, you are talking about a lockout. Of one employee.

It's disgusting.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    Seriously, would you not just go away til September? You used to be a good poster but all this **** with Kenny has sent you over the edge and you are just embarrassing yourself on a daily basis now. It's quite sad to see really

I don't find your opinion on what constitutes good or bad posting to be relevant.

Des wrote: »
    You aren't talking about Gardening Leave, you are talking about a lockout. Of one employee.

It's disgusting.

lol, Des the master of emotional adjectives

What is "disgusting" is the effort levels Joe Cole has put in since arriving at Liverpool while being paid £100k a week. He will hang around taking that if he is allowed, or dip out on loan to someplace nice while his contract runs down. The club should be actively forcing him to seek a move.

I don't find your opinion on what constitutes good or bad posting to be relevant.

The fact that nobody is agreeing with you on the majority of what you post is surely enough for you to realise how ridiculous you've been lately.

BTW, Still waiting on an answer to TWO.CUP.FINALS and 17th being ok for Liverpool.

What is "disgusting" is the effort levels Joe Cole has put in since arriving at Liverpool while being paid £100k a week. He will hang around taking that if he is allowed, or dip out on loan to someplace nice while his contract runs down. The club should be actively forcing him to seek a move.

Is Cole one of the players you'd have no problem cheering for if you were at a game? Then come on here to give out about?

The fact that nobody is agreeing with you on the majority of what you post is surely enough for you to realise how ridiculous you've been lately.

lol, oh no everyone disagrees with me! Does not bother me in the slightest.
    Is Cole one of the players you'd have no problem cheering for if you were at a game? Then come on here to give out about?

While a game is in progress any player wearing my team's colours will be encouraged on by me.

While a game is in progress any player wearing my team's colours will be encouraged on by me.

Exactly you're a hypocrite of the highest order. Why are you ignoring my question? I've asked 5 times now I think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I still think Cole got quite the shafting in his debut being sent off against Arsenal

Exactly you're a hypocrite of the highest order. Why are you ignoring my question? I've asked 5 times now I think

Hypocrital would be happy clappy posting or discussion of Liverpool when the club is in such a state.

You may continue asking your "question" to your heart's content. The important point is that our results last year did not justify downgrading our manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

LL is worse than Wil at this stage.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I still think Cole got quite the shafting in his debut being sent off against Arsenal

He did, that was a dreadfully incorrect red card. The rest of the season was down to a straight lack of effort and determination on his part. He doesn't seem to push his physical condition (didn't manage 90 minutes much last year as pointed out by Kess), and he doesn't seem to have any mental toughness to force his way into the manager's plans (rumours about confidence issues and other such nonsense during the second half of 2010 / 11).

An utterly horrendous signing.

You may continue asking your "question" to your heart's content. The important point is that our results last year did not justify downgrading our manager.

Because you know full well that you are talking absolute rubbish and weren't expecting to be called up on it. You said that no manager who reaches TWO.CUP.FINALS should be sacked unless they also get relegated. Its bullshít and you know it, the fact you refuse to acknowledge it just makes me more embarrassed for you. Now ill wait for a witty response just bursting with lOlZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Craziest sh** I've heard in a long time. I don't recall that ever happening before at our great club. Id love to see what people would say about Rodger's then. Casting off a player in such a manner. If that's the solution Id doubt Cole would be training on his own after some of the dross bought last summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

LuckyLloyd,

Highly paid players often get messed around as managers change. Hodgonson signed Cole at a time when the club was pretty much in a mess. He got off to a terrible start to his lfc career by getting sent off (showing too much hunger to impress).

Kenny obviously didn't fancy him and he went out on loan. Having worked with Rodgers previously it appears as though he is willing to give him a chance this year.

Coles comments have always been very positive about liverpool as seen below:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/cole-targets-new-chapter

Also worth noting in the blog that he is singled out as the player who has spent the most time signing autographs.

http://www.lfctour.com/news/lfc-on-tour-blog

He seems motivated to make an impact this year. LFC have alot of games this year and I think he will end of playing quite a few. We don't actually have many creative players so may be useful.
    It may transpire that he ends up leaving at some stage but you can't fault his effort and what he's saying at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I know you meant this for Llyod, but what exactly is wrong with being a supporter when in the ground and then having your own opinion outside of the ground?

Once I am in the ground, I am in "them against us" mode, and how my team does is the be all and end all. But when I am discussing football in the pub, in the cafe, on a web forum or wherever I will have my own opinion as to what players I think are good enough or not, what manager is good enough or not and so on. As someone who gets to a minimum of 20 games each season, should I then not be allowed to have any differing opinion on the team, players or manager than the 100% support I will give during games?

Or if I think a player is not good enough, should I then go to matches and roar at that player that I think he is useless?

I think Llyod is spot on to want to give 100% support when in the ground but also have a mind of your own away from the 90 minutes. Sometimes I agree with Llyod, sometimes I disagree with him, but at least the times when I don't think he is out for a reaction I can respect his opinion as being his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Now ill wait for a witty response just bursting with lOlZ

and a hilarious gif, featuring an american pop culture icon.

awesome

NEDDURC wrote: »
    LuckyLloyd,

Highly paid players often get messed around as managers change. Hodgonson signed Cole at a time when the club was pretty much in a mess. He got off to a terrible start to his lfc career by getting sent off (showing too much hunger to impress).

Kenny obviously didn't fancy him and he went out on loan. Having worked with Rodgers previously it appears as though he is willing to give him a chance this year.

Also worth noting in the blog that he is singled out as the player who has spent the most time signing autographs.

He seems motivated to make an impact this year. LFC have alot of games this year and I think he will end of playing quite a few. We don't actually have many creative players so may be useful.
    It may transpire that he ends up leaving at some stage but you can't fault his effort and what he's saying at this stage.

I would agree that his statements to the media have been very professional. However, I don't see any substance in what he has done since arriving at the club. He looked very, very poor on Saturday night. I'm not seeing anything to indicate that he has really improved his physical condition in advance of this season and is really determined to make a mark.

Words are cheap.

NEDDURC wrote: »
    LuckyLloyd,

What effort? Does talking count as effort? He was bloody awful on the pitch under Hodgson, bloody awful on the rare occassion that Kenny used him, and very average if his time in France is looked at as a whole, and his fitness levels and workrate in France were awful.

I could not give a shyte how much Cole talks about working hard and coming good. It is worthless unless it translates into action and effort on the pitch. Lots of players talk shyte to the media about wanting to come good and improve, but quite often it amounts to nowt more than soundbytes.

Because you know full well that you are talking absolute rubbish and weren't expecting to be called up on it. You said that no manager who reaches TWO.CUP.FINALS should be sacked unless they also get relegated. Its bullshít and you know it, the fact you refuse to acknowledge it just makes me more embarrassed for you. Now ill wait for a witty response just bursting with lOlZ

I wouldn't have sacked Kenny Dalglish in a two cup final season if we finished 17th, no. I expect to be called on everything these days.
    Des wrote:
    and a hilarious gif, featuring an american pop culture icon.

awesome

Unfortunately I have no access to my awesome (correct adjective usage for once, good job!) collection of .gifs in work. More's the pity.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I know you meant this for Llyod, but what exactly is wrong with being a supporter when in the ground and then having your own opinion outside of the ground?

Once I am in the ground, I am in "them against us" mode, and how my team does is the be all and end all. But when I am discussing football in the pub, in the cafe, on a web forum or wherever I will have my own opinion as to what players I think are good enough or not, what manager is good enough or not and so on. As someone who gets to a minimum of 20 games each season, should I then not be allowed to have any differing opinion on the team, players or manager than the 100% support I will give during games?

Or if I think a player is not good enough, should I then go to matches and roar at that player that I think he is useless?

I think Llyod is spot on to want to give 100% support when in the ground but also have a mind of your own away from the 90 minutes. Sometimes I agree with Llyod, sometimes I disagree with him, but at least the times when I don't think he is out for a reaction I can respect his opinion as being his own.

It is just hypocritical to go and cheer on a player when at the game and then go to the Cabbage and rip the piss out of them. Especially someone like Lloyd when someone like Cole is involved, why cheer on a player who he thinks should be locked out of Melwood? You support the club, not the players.

It is just hypocritical to go and cheer on a player when at the game and then go to the Cabbage and rip the piss out of them. Especially someone like Lloyd when someone like Cole is involved, why cheer on a player who he thinks should be locked out of Melwood? You support the club, not the players.

I think you may find that is Llyod's point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Tbh I dont think he was as capable as people made him out to be when joining us. Maybe in he's younger days but it was obvious when he was coming to Anfield he was not that much of a player and then to be offered those wages by the club alone was our fault in the first place. Who ever negotiated the deal gave a v.mediocre player the wages of a world class 20 year old and he was only going to get worse as time went on while still pulling in serious wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I would think its a sign of a truer fan if they cheer a player they really despise during a game rather than booing him, i.e. putting the club ahead of your personal feelings for the 90 minutes duration.

Also don't think its beyond the realms of possibility of Joe Cole being told to find another club. And in the meantime, as you're not in the manager's plans there's no point in training with the first team, and we don't want you training with the kids either, so you can train on your own. (Obviously we wouldnt lock him out, but I'm sure that was just exaggeration for effect).

Not that I think any of this would happen, dunno if similar has ever happended at LFC, but it certainly has happened at other clubs.

I wouldn't have sacked Kenny Dalglish in a two cup final season if we finished 17th, no. I expect to be called on everything these days.

That's absolutely ridiculous blind loyalty to Kenny. How about if we win 2 cups next year and finish 17th, would you want .BR sacked?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd love if work locked me out told me not to come in but they would still pay me. That is living the dream really.

That's absolutely ridiculous blind loyalty to Kenny. How about if we win 2 cups next year and finish 17th, would you want .BR sacked?

NO

That would be amazing!

Yakult wrote: »
    Tbh I dont think he was as capable as people made him out to be when joining us. Maybe in he's younger days but it was obvious when he was coming to Anfield he was not that much of a player and then to be offered those wages by the club alone was our fault in the first place. Who ever negotiated the deal gave a v.mediocre player the wages of a world class 20 year old and he was only going to get worse as time went on while still pulling in serious wages.

Hindsight is 20 : 20. Chelsea had just won the league and he had been a key performer for them down the stretch. His drop off post move has been unprecedented really. I think he is selling us all short.

17th in the league is ok with you? Cop the fúck on

Why are you getting so agitated?

17th in the league is ok with you? Cop the fúck on

Winning trophies is not a prized aim of yours at the start of every season? Cop the **** on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

A few of the lads could use a deep breath & some time out in the fresh air, kicking a ball around.

Theres no 'winning' an arguement on the internet, & at the end of the day the only reason anyone comes here is because they want to see liverpool doing well, no need to take it so serious.

Winning trophies is not a prized aim of yours at the start of every season? Cop the **** on

At this moment and for what we need as a club I'd rather finish 4th in the league and get knocked out of all cups at the first hurdle.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd love if work locked me out told me not to come in but they would still pay me. That is living the dream really.

But Dom, while you are in to your forties at this stage, you still have a couple of decades of work to go. Joe Cole might have four years tops left, and sitting wasting away for the first two of them might completely impair his ability to secure employment for the latter...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement