Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I won't shed many tears if we don't manage to get bent over to buy Joe Allen.

You'll be shedding tears when he's re-united with Siggy and the two of them help Spurs tear up the premiership.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

opr wrote: »
    You'll be shedding tears when he's re-united with Siggy and the two of them help Spurs tear up the premiership.

Opr

So you rate him? How much would you pay for Joe Allen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i hope we get Joe Allen 15 Million would be a bit too much though
    hopefully Dempsey signs soon too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

From the Echo
    LIVERPOOL FC are closing in on a deal to bring Swansea City midfielder Joe Allen to Anfield.

Boss Brendan Rodgers, whose side face Roma in a friendly at Boston's Fenway Park on Wednesday night (11.30pm BST), is keen to be reunited with the talented Wales international and has made signing him his priority in the transfer market.

Allen has a release clause in his contract which is triggered if one of five Premier League clubs bid £15million for his services.

Liverpool are one of those named in the four-year deal he penned last August, along with Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea.

That has complicated matters as Tottenham, who are vying with the Reds for his signature, aren't subject to meeting that amount and could effectively land him for a lower fee.

However, while Liverpool are reluctant to pay £15million, they remain confident a compromise will soon be reached with the Swans.

The highly-rated 22-year-old playmaker, who is currently involved with Team GB at the Olympics, has his heart set on a move to Anfield and should be on board prior to the start of the Premier League campaign.

When Rodgers left the Liberty Stadium to take over as Liverpool manager on June 1 he agreed with Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins not to raid their talent for 12 months.

But it has since emerged that if a Swansea player becomes available to buy then Rodgers is free to join the chase.

Having been desperate to keep hold of Allen, new Swans boss Michael Laudrup is now increasingly resigned to losing him.

Laudrup said: “You can force players to stay but how does that help? It’s better to find a solution that suits both parties.

“We just have to wait and see if an offer comes.”

As Liverpool look to wrap up a deal for Allen, they are no closer to completing a move for Fulham's Clint Dempsey.

The Cottagers are refusing to budge from their £10million asking price for the USA international.

Liverpool won't pay that fee for a 29-year-old who only has 12 months remaining on his current deal.

Fulham are desperate to keep Dempsey, who scored 23 goals in all competitions last season, and have now offered him a lucrative new contract in a bid to convince him to stay.

Rodgers has so far only added £11million striker Fabio Borini, who flew into Boston on Monday night, to the squad he inherited.

The Northern Irishman is hoping to sell those who are surplus to requirements in order to boost his transfer kitty.

No permanent bids have been received for Andy Carroll since Newcastle failed in an attempt to take him back to the North East on a season-long loan.

The Reds will consider offers of around £20million and if none are forthcoming Carroll will remain at Anfield.

Go on the scouting team!!!!11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Go on the scouting team!!!!11

To be fair, hardly anyone here heard of Joe Allen a year ago :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Knex. wrote: »
    To be fair, hardly anyone here heard of Joe Allen a year ago :p

That's why it pays to support a team in the championship. :pac:

So you rate him? How much would you pay for Joe Allen?

I think £15m is overpriced but he's a good player who won't command massive wages and could end up being a mainstay of our midfield for many years. I think he could form a good partnership with Lucas. The other main positive is he has been brought up at Swansea so will understand what Brendan wants from the off. Only 22 with loads more potential and our manager has had the chance to run the rule over him at very close quarters. £10m and Shelvey on loan and I would've been over the moon.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Training match highlights

Opr

That kid McLoughlin at RB looks a serious little player. Got forward really well. Dani looked busy, Shelvey just looks so composed - like Stevie, seems to always have time on the ball. Lucas busy and didn't seem to be holding back. Nice goal by Cole, he's lost a bit of weight...

£10m and Shelvey on loan and I would've been over the moon.

Opr

I really don't want Shelvey to go out again, we need to give him some games and get him into the team. He can be a regular within the season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

£13.5 million fee agreed for Allen according to Goal.....

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/07/24/3263398/liverpool-agree-135-million-fee-with-swansea-for-joe-allen

Also.....

"Agent_ITK ‏@Agent_ITK
    Joe Allen for £10 million, he just needs to decide where too. #Liverpool #THFC #LFC #Spurs #Football"

Make of that as you will.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Dickerty wrote: »
    That kid McLoughlin at RB looks a serious little player. Got forward really well. Dani looked busy, Shelvey just looks so composed - like Stevie, seems to always have time on the ball. Lucas busy and didn't seem to be holding back. Nice goal by Cole, he's lost a bit of weight...

Aye, shelvey is certainly coming about nothing but good reports of him so far. Have been impressed with pacheco too hopefully he'll get his place in the squad!

At around 10.30 I think its lucas plays a nice ball to cole and runs through for the 1-2 instead cole tries to flick and turn and loses the ball, reminded me of his free the other night pass it joe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thought the game was on espn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Agent_ITK ‏@Agent_ITK is a total spoofer.

PaulieC wrote: »

The game is on ESPN but isn't till tomorrow night.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The game is on ESPN but isn't till tomorrow night.

Opr

Realised it was only Tuesday a few mins ago! Cheers buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Training match highlights

Opr

Thanks for that, very interesting. For some reason I thought that training matches would be of a higher standard, seemed a bit sloppy to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

All over the Twitter machine now that we're buying Joe Allen for £13.5m. Seems a very high fee again, but Rodgers knows him.

Been looking everywhere and I can't find any info about this 4 year deal they signed with Chev Rolet. Is he any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Regardless of the price, which I think personally is bordering daylight robbery, why oh why are we signing a central midfielder?
    We have far too many on the books as it, just makes no sense unless BR is looking to ship out Spearing, Adam etc

I also hope Shelvey gets a run this year, really rate the lad. Big future ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

murpho999 wrote: »
    All over the Twitter machine now that we're buying Joe Allen for £13.5m. Seems a very high fee again, but Rodgers knows him.

Been looking everywhere and I can't find any info about this 4 year deal they signed with Chev Rolet. Is he any good?

He's got a great engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i thin Pacheco is very good playing on the left
    i think he can bea good player for Liverpool this season

Himself and William McLaren are going to a lethal partnership in the future.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Where does this leave Henderson? He's become a bit of a non entity/forgotten man of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't Shelvey should be kept to warm the bench for the season. Last year he looked like a player who needed to play, his decisions making wasn't great at certain times and he looked poor defensively too at times. With our midfielder he's currently not good to be a regular so I think we'd be far better off shipping him out on loan.

Get him into the first team ;)

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

murpho999 wrote: »

Reckon he'll be a real driving force in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are people complaining about us buying midfielders based purely on the numbers we have without assessing if the new player is better or not?

Last season everyone complained that our midfield with Spearing, Adam & Henderson wasn't good enough.

Improvement to the squad is the main thing and then get rid of players deemed surplus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Get him into the first team ;)

Opr

He wont fit the system. I didn't see him hit the woodwork once in that video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭Glico Man

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    He wont fit the system. I didn't see him hit the woodwork once in that video.

Seems to like scoring from free kicks too. That sort isn't welcome round here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,061 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With Malaga no longer looking as financially sound as they did, I'd love us to swoop in for Cazorla and Toulalan!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    With Malaga no longer looking as financially sound as they did, I'd love us to swoop in for Cazorla and Toulalan!

Not the youngest pair of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Realised it was only Tuesday a few mins ago! Cheers buddy

So any plans to make use of your extra day??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,061 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not the youngest pair of lads.

27 and 28, so not really problematic either, especially if we were able to get a decent deal on them due to Malaga's financial problem. They still owe money on both I believe, as well as having trouble paying wages. Toulalan, being nearly 29, i'd skip if it were over 10 million euros, but anything under that and he's worth it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Reliable Welsh journo...,
    @pjcadden: Liverpool have tabled a formal offer for Allen. Believe they are the only club to do so. Negotiations are on-going. No fee agreed...
    @pjcadden: Don't know where that leaves 'agreement' between clubs. Complicated issue. Fair to say last night was a long one once info came in!
    [@pjcadden: Swansea yet to confirm. Time difference hasn't been helpful here.

We could see some news today .

So if Allen comes then who is going ? ... Adam in the Dempsey deal maybe ?
    Shelvey impresses me more everyday so I wouldn't loan him out .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Would love to see Suso and Sterling go as part of the Allen deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

What time is the game tonight does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

budgemook wrote: »
    What time is the game tonight does anyone know?

It`s live on ESPN at 11:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Melion wrote: »

On loan I assume?

Reganovski wrote: »
    On loan I assume?

Unless he's planning on being excommunicated from the forum!

I like the idea of two loanees going together, to support each other and then Swansea can be our second team!

Watching that training match video again (cause I NEED it), Spearing may work better in this system. He's a good simple passer, quick across short distances and doesn't feel the need to Hollywood it like Adam, and even Stevie and Shelvey to an extent. We will need players who won't play much but can slot in without compromising how we play...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Melion wrote: »

Haha, terrible fishing trip...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

by the way...

if, as rumoured, Spurs are in the hunt for Dembele for £12m, then were are being completely robbed on Allen for £15m in all honesty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Reganovski wrote: »
    On loan I assume?

Absolutely! !

SlickRic wrote: »
    by the way...

if, as rumoured, Spurs are in the hunt for Dembele for £12m, then were are being completely robbed on Allen for £15m in all honesty.

I'd be surprised if we paid £15M. Werner specifically mentioned about us overspending for players prior to this, and Rodgers wouldn't pay the extra for Gylfi, and we got a good deal for Borini I think.

The fact that the release clause is set at £15M doesn't mean we have to pay that. Laudrup has rightly said that if he wants to leave, they deal with that. I think they'll agree something south of that.

As for Dembele, that is a new story today. He only has a year on his contract, like Dempsey, so he should be significantly better value...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Don't have a problem with Joe Allen coming as he is clearly part of a wider system that Rodgers is looking to play. Lucas will be the ball-winner, Allen will be the deep lying playmaker and Gerrard will play a bit further forward between the front players and the anchoring midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

SlickRic wrote: »
    by the way...

Are you shocked that we`re being robbed? We should be well used to it at this stage.

You`re right though...it`s ridiculous.

I`d love to see Allen at LFC...good player. But £15m?? Don`t think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

£10m and Adam or Spearing Shelvey on loan and I would've been over the moon.

Opr

FYP Opr :D

I think Shelvey will play a part this season. He deserves to be a part in the squad next season. He has all the attributes to be a future captain as well. I agree about some comments of his Hollywood passes but more often than not he does the right thing and never looks phased when on the ball. He can also get stuck in when needs be.

You`re right though...it`s ridiculous.

Ridiculous ?!

Here's one . Especially for those who said not to worry about transfer fees/bad business " sure it's not your money".

If we sell Carroll for £20mil and pay £15mil for Allen then essentially after 18months (excluding wages) we traded Fernando Torres for Joe Allen + £5mil :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NO BRITISH PLAYERS

about to get ridden on a transfer fee yet again. FUN TIMES.

Leiva wrote: »
    If we sell Carroll for £20mil and pay £15mil for Allen then essentially after 18months (excluding wages) we traded Fernando Torres for Joe Allen + £5mil :eek:

Sounds about right, Torres scored 6 league goals last season to Allen's 4 (as a deep-lying playmaker). The £5M difference can go towards Dempsey for the other 2 goals...and 15 more! ;)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    NO BRITISH PLAYERS

about to get ridden on a transfer fee yet again. FUN TIMES.

I agree but I like Allen but not £15mil like !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement