Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Leiva wrote: »
    Ridiculous ?!

Here's one . Especially for those who said not to worry about transfer fees/bad business " sure it's not your money".

If we sell Carroll for £20mil and pay £15mil for Allen then essentially after 18months (excluding wages) we traded Fernando Torres for Joe Allen + £5mil :eek:

Alright,calm down. I never said don`t worry about transfer fees/bad business,did I?

I said paying £15m for Allen is ridiculous.

Your Torres = Allen + £5m is ridiculous as well...we really are fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Alright,calm down. I never said don`t worry about transfer fees/bad business,did I?

I said paying £15m for Allen is ridiculous.

Your Torres = Allen + £5m is ridiculous as well...we really are fools.

My comment was never directed at you .

Good to see but your toughening up for the forthcoming season match threads :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If we sell Carroll for £20mil and pay £15mil for Allen then essentially after 18months (excluding wages) we traded Fernando Torres for Joe Allen + £5mil :eek:
    What kind of ridiculous logic is that?

What kind of ridiculous logic is that?

Obscure alright but if the rumors are to be believed and the Carroll sale is to be reinvested to purchase Allen etc then there are a definite link between all three players, and it puts something more tangible to explain the ridiculous bad business that we have completed over the past 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I agree but I like Allen but not £15mil like !

British players just can't be purchased for a reasonable amount. I'd much rather just stick Henderson in there alongside Lucas and see if he can progress than go out and overpay for another British midfielder with one season at the top level to his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

http://www.lfcts.com/rodgers-defends-carroll/

Brendan Rodgers jumped at the chance to defend heavily-slated Geordie striker Andy Carroll, much to the surprise of fans as it seemed Carroll was set to depart Anfield.

Carroll has had a hard run of the mill since his frantic switch on deadline day, for the extravagant fee of £35 million; only managing to score 11 times in 56 games for the reds. However, the number nine did please the KOP faithful with a string of impressive performances at the end of the season, including the FA Cup semi-final and the final.

With Brendan Rodgers hoping to employ his pass and move, tiki-taka style, football fans across the globe questioned whether Andy could fit in. Rumors spread that his time at Anfield was over, with Rodgers confirming he would consider any offers. Andy’s former employers, Newcastle United, have already had a loan with view to permanent deal turned down. Rodgers had spoken out about the talent of Andy, “He is a player who can play in a number of styles and it was a wee bit unfair on him to say he couldn’t fit into the way I would want to play.”

It seems Brendan Rodgers cannot make up his mind about Andy. First, he confirmed that he would consider a loan deal for the striker then standing his ground to look for a permanent option. He is consistent, however, in stating that loan offers for every player will be duly considered. Rodgers is in no doubt of Andy’s talent saying, “There is no doubt he is a terrific talent. There has been a lot of unfair criticism aimed towards Andy.”

If Andy Carroll is set to stay in Merseyside, Brendan Rodgers would not be against incorporating him into his game plans. “For me, your game is based on your players,” he said. “(It is based on) the players you have. I am here to win games. We’ve got a number of very, very talented players in the group, of which Andy is one.”

Whilst the striker returned to training with fellow England players and new signing Fabio Borini, it is doubtful he will play any part in the pre-season tour as he tries to regain his fitness for the season ahead, wherever he is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

£15 million seems a lot for Allen - the only thing is I think we are comparing him to what we overspent on carroll, hendersson, downing, adam last year and we are all a bit anxious about what we are getting for £15mill

The big difference is that the Rodgers has already worked with Allen, he will know what style of play the manager wants straight away and he is going to be on less wages than any of the above, and we seen with Sygi that Rodgers isnt going to be bullied into paying more than he thinks the player is worth

We arent going to be getting big name players in this year, what we need to secure is champions league footie next year ( dont think we will ) to keep the high quality players we have and then to attract bigger names next year

• Advertisement

Totally off topic but got a few giggles out of it.......

Michael Owen’s latest attempt to engage with his Twitter fanbase backfired spectacularly after a Q&A session on the social media website led to a deluge of abuse from fans with their cheeky questions.

On Sunday the former England star invited his followers on Twitter to submit questions to him using the hashtag #AskMOwen.

Owen told followers that he would select the 10 best questions and post video answers to them online.

The former Liverpool and Real Madrid ace, who was released by Manchester United in June, told fans to Tweet their questions ‘on anything’ and if the session was a success he would even make it a regular feature on his official app.

The session received a huge response but unfortunately for Owen the nature of the questions being posed by fans was not exactly what he had in mind.

Owen has yet to post his video responses, but if you look at the selection of some of the questions below, it's plain to see why:

@MirrorFootball: Do you feel a great affinity with Bradley Wiggins, who has also won a championship while sitting down? #askMOwen

@greglarmouth: #AskMOwen I’m expecting a parcel on Thursday, would you be able to sit in for me while I’m out? I have Racing UK & ATR & my sofa’s leather?

@steveuk30: #askMOwen Is it true you will only sign for a team if they have a heated bench ?

@BigJohnTerry: #askMOwen Did you ever think you’re just like Liverpool? good back in the day but now finding it really hard just to play football

@AlanPardewNUFC: #askMowen Our tea lady needs a holiday, can you cover? There is little to no sitting down involved though, will that be a problem?

@AndreVillyB: #askMOwen Where do you get your tickets from for the match? I see you every week and they’re good seats in the crowd.

@FootyHumour: #AskMOwen Which stadium has the most comfortable bench?

@HeskeyHeskey: #askMOwen I scored more goals than you in the Premiership last season. #LOL

@paddypower: #askMOwen were you gutted you weren’t nominated for a TV Bafta for your performance in the Insure.ie ads?

@RealParkJiSung: #askMOwen Do you know we called you Messi because we didn’t want to get caught 1 on 1 with you? In a conversation?

@BigJohnTerry: #askMOwen have you got a wife?

@Dante_Banks: #askMOwen If you cross breed a cat with a goldfish how long is it before you realise your career ended 6 years ago?

@weldy1980: #askMOwen If u had a choice between recieving a personality or being good at football, which wud u choose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Ridiculous ?!

Here's one . Especially for those who said not to worry about transfer fees/bad business " sure it's not your money".

I don't think your maths are correct here!

50 - 35 = 15m to be spent on Allen. Then sell Carroll for 20 leaves 20 remaining. Therefore Torress = Allen + 20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

NEDDURC wrote: »

50 - 35 = 15m to be spent on Allen. Then sell Carroll for 20 leaves 20 remaining. Therefore Torress = Allen + 20m.

Spot on. We will now be told that we wasted that other £15M on Downing...

Dickerty wrote: »
    Spot on. We will now be told that we wasted that other £15M on Downing...

We wasted the other £15 million + £5 million on Downing .:P

If we then went on and spent the £20m on a top striker or winger - maybe part on Gaston Ramierez we'd have :

Torres = Allen + Ramierez => looks like a decent deal considering his form since he left and we've have two young players for one older player.
    The whole spending too much on Carroll could be forgotten about if you looked at it this way. I'm not saying I'm in favour of selling Carroll.

NEDDURC wrote: »

I am including the £15 million that would be lost if we sell Carroll back to NUFC for £20 million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Isn't this kind of reasoning along the same lines as Chelsea beat Barcelona and Stoke beat Chelsea, so Stoke are better than Barcelona?

I am including the £15 million that would be lost if we sell Carroll back to NUFC for £20 million

So am I!

Another way to look at it.
    Initial Sale of Torres = 50m

Buy and Sell Carroll 35-20 = Loss of 15m

Left to spend = 50 - loss on Carroll 15 = 35m.

All we would really be doing it wiping out the profit of 15 for Torres over Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

trying to justify it through all that Maths is nutty.

Chelsea overpaid for Nando.

we should've been laughing. instead we overpaid for Carroll.

using Nando to justify any signing with made in terms of "net spend", is a bit weird. at the end of the day we've spent a certain amount of money unwisely in the last 18 months, and we need to stop it. thankfully Werner has already hinted that we won't be spending willy-nilly, and we've already seen proof of that with the Sigurdsson situation.

just because Nando made us £50m does not justify overspending on Allen.

like others, £10m plus a player or 2 on loan would be fine. but for higher prices, we need to be looking at what's on the continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »
    trying to justify it through all that Maths is nutty.

Chelsea overpaid for Nando.

we should've been laughing. instead we overpaid for Carroll.

using Nando to justify any signing with made in terms of "net spend", is a bit weird. at the end of the day we've spent a certain amount of money unwisely in the last 18 months, and we need to stop it. thankfully Werner has already hinted that we won't be spending willy-nilly, and we've already seen proof of that with the Sigurdsson situation.

just because Nando made us £50m does not justify overspending on Allen.

like others, £10m plus a player or 2 on loan would be fine. but for higher prices, we need to be looking at what's on the continent.

I think £15m would be overpaying for Allen by about £5m. I look at Allen and how he played during the season gone and I think he is a good player. Sometimes he looks like he could really step up a few levels if he had better players around him, but sometimes he looks as if he is a second or two behind the game because he cannot spot the obvious pass. I hear the £15m figure and wonder what a player like Defour or Banega would do in a similar role to Allen and then cannot help to wonder what (beside a British passport) has Allen got that would make him a more expensive player to buy than either of those two.

For me £15m gets you, or damn close to getting, Moussa Sissoko, although given how long he has left on his contract he might be gotten for under the £15m mark.

£15M would get, imho, Banega and you would have change left over.

£15m would come close to getting Defour plus a player like Dembele

£15m would come very close to buying both Medel and Dembele (reckon somewhere close to the £17m to £20m would be the combined figure for them)

Would spending £20m on Medel and Dembele bring more to our first team than spending £15m on Allen? I think it would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

gafferino wrote: »

Looking forward to see Borini in the red jersey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm sure this has either been asked before or the answer is so obvious as to be too stupid to ask, so apologies in advance.

How come there is talk of signing Joe Allen? I thought Rodgers wasn't allowed to sign his old Swansea players for two seasons or something like that.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would spending £20m on Medel and Dembele bring more to our first team than spending £15m on Allen? I think it would.

do you think we can get Medel for circa £8-10m then?

Dembele would be awesome. he's an absolute joy to watch, and would suit Rodgers' philosophy to a tee. as i said earlier, put three quarters of that £15m into Dembele and you'd have a better player IMO.

not only a better player, he's also more versatile.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Ridiculous ?!

You got that wrong, we basically traded Torres for Caroll and Suarez that January, so it would be Suarez, Allen and 5m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm sure this has either been asked before or the answer is so obvious as to be too stupid to ask, so apologies in advance.

How come there is talk of signing Joe Allen? I thought Rodgers wasn't allowed to sign his old Swansea players for two seasons or something like that.

I think there is a release clause written into Joe Allens contract. Also, if Joe Allen submits a transfer request (I dont think he will do this) then we can bid for him. And finally, if another team other than Liverpool make and offer and it is accepted then Liverpool could make a counter offer as Swansea have basically resigned to selling him.

At least thats how I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The rumour was that Liverpool can't bid for or sign any Swansea players for 12 months unless another club has bid for the player or the player hands in a transfer request.
    There's also talk of Joe Allen having a release clause.
    I don't think anyone knows exactly what is happening except the clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

mayordenis wrote: »
    You got that wrong, we basically traded Torres for Caroll and Suarez that January, so it would be Suarez, Allen and 5m.

torres and babel for suarez and caroll!

If we buy Joe Allen for 15 million then I fear we have learned nothing from the mistakes of the the last couple of years.

I think all bets are off if the player concerned hands in a transfer request, and Allen would need to do so as part of any potential deal.

@ Kess: spot on. NO BRITISH PLAYERS

What was Meireles sold for last summer?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What was Meireles sold for last summer?

According to this http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/liverpool-transfers.html he was sold for £12m

• Advertisement

LOL JOE ALLEN FOR £15M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

inR5Y.jpg

do you think we can get Medel for circa £8-10m then?

Dembele would be awesome. he's an absolute joy to watch, and would suit Rodgers' philosophy to a tee. as i said earlier, put three quarters of that £15m into Dembele and you'd have a better player IMO.

not only a better player, he's also more versatile.

I think that Dembele would be in the £8m range, leaving £9m -£12m for Medel.

Lucas, Medel, and Dembele. Not a bad midfield trio for a 4-3-3. Could imagine some tough midfield battle where some player finally manages to slip past Lucas only to see Gary Medel waiting for him. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Dembele would be a nice purchase. I see him as a watered down Belhanda in terms of ability/skills/versatility, but what he has is still a cut above most other players who play in the same position(s) as he can.

Borini
    Dempsey
    Dembele

and one of Sissoko, Medel, Defour, or Banega

would certainly upgrade our starting XI and most likely for a combined fee of circa £35m to £40m. A fee that would be lessened by selling unwanted players.

A back up player or two for maybe the LB or CB slot and maybe an attacking position could be brought in as well.

Wolves keeper Dorus De Vries linked to Liverpool for £9 million

only kidding on the fee

Is that because Doni is probably leaving......or something to do with Reina?

gafferino wrote: »
    Is that because Doni is probably leaving......or something to do with Reina?

He would be a back up keeper. That's all he is at Wolves. With Doni and Jones looking like leaving, we would need cover for Reina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

amiable wrote: »
    Wolves keeper Dorus De Vries linked to Liverpool for £9 million

I was hoping we might get linked with Jack Butland. He cut an impressive figure during the game against Brazil. Had a huge amount of scouts at his games last season. For a keeper so young he's an impressive figure and had no problem barking out orders at far more senior players.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I wouldn't put Allen at 15million in the same category of shocking value signings as the likes of Carroll Hendo or Downing were. Don't think he'd significantly disimprove any side in the world due to his ability and he'd Improve most sides including Liverpool for sure. I'd usually be really against signing British players but he's an extremely safe bet IMO and knowing he can hack it in the premier league does naturally add a few $$ onto his pricetage. His intelligent movement to constantly create space for himself is something very rare in British players.

opr wrote: »
    I was hoping we might get linked with Jack Butland. He cut an impressive figure during the game against Brazil. Had a huge amount of scouts at his games last season. For a keeper so young he's an impressive figure and had no problem barking out orders at far more senior players.

Is he not going to Southampton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think £15m would be overpaying for Allen by about £5m. I look at Allen and how he played during the season gone and I think he is a good player. Sometimes he looks like he could really step up a few levels if he had better players around him, but sometimes he looks as if he is a second or two behind the game because he cannot spot the obvious pass. I hear the £15m figure and wonder what a player like Defour or Banega would do in a similar role to Allen and then cannot help to wonder what (beside a British passport) has Allen got that would make him a more expensive player to buy than either of those two.

For me £15m gets you, or damn close to getting, Moussa Sissoko, although given how long he has left on his contract he might be gotten for under the £15m mark.

£15M would get, imho, Banega and you would have change left over.

£15m would come close to getting Defour plus a player like Dembele

£15m would come very close to buying both Medel and Dembele (reckon somewhere close to the £17m to £20m would be the combined figure for them)

Which again begs the question, what the hell are the scouting department up to?

I picture our scouting department to be the same as the one at the start of Moneyball.
    about 10 out of touch aul fellas sitting around a table watching re runs of MOTD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

No, they signed an Argentine keeper from Gillingham instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

They were one of the clubs interested but I didn't think anyone had bagged him yet.

Opr

I picture our scouting department to be the same as the one at the start of Moneyball.
    about 10 out of touch aul fellas sitting around a table watching re runs of MOTD.

A lot of our recent purchases have been quite unimaginative, almost immature.

"Oh, he's had a good season, lets get him"

Rumours that Montpellier want 8 million for Yanga-Mbiwa
    The scouts were seen at a few Montpellier games.
    Pehaps he's not seen as a player that needs to be signed right now?

Rumours that Montpellier want 8 million for Yanga-Mbiwa
    The scouts were seen at a few Montpellier games.
    Pehaps he's not seen as a player that needs to be signed right now?

if that sum is true, and the rumours about him are true (i haven't seen much of him at all to pass judgment), well then he should be snapped up immediately.

to put it in perspective, Ryan Shawcross was rumoured to be available for circa £10-12m recently, and his wages would outstrip whatever you'd have to pay Mbiwa initially.

• Advertisement

If Loic Remy joins Newcastle do people think there's less chance of Andy Carroll leaving?
    The Guardian say Remy will join Newcastle for £15 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I would hope the only reason that the targets seem to largely be players Rodgers knows or are from the EPL at this time is because the scouting system is reorganising itself.

Any club with Jen Chang on board surely wouldn't scout on prejudices, given the amount of ranting he did on the subject pre-Liverpool.

if that sum is true, and the rumours about him are true (i haven't seen much of him at all to pass judgment), well then he should be snapped up immediately.

to put it in perspective, Ryan Shawcross was rumoured to be available for circa £10-12m recently, and his wages would outstrip whatever you'd have to pay Mbiwa initially.

Milan have supposedly had bids rejected for him already.
    I'd imagine his wages wouldn't be massive either.

G.K. wrote: »
    I would hope the only reason that the targets seem to largely be players Rodgers knows or are from the EPL at this time is because the scouting system is reorganising itself.

Any club with Jen Chang on board surely wouldn't scout on prejudices, given the amount of ranting he did on the subject pre-Liverpool.

Agreed, several of the scouts are only in place a few weeks.

I'm not sure how much influence Jen Chang can have over transfer targets in his position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

A lot of our recent purchases have been quite unimaginative, almost immature.

Yeah it's them hidden gems that have rubbish seasons that you should be targeting. Far maturer approach!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement