Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

amiable wrote: »
    Wolves keeper Dorus De Vries linked to Liverpool for £9 million

only kidding on the fee

haha I only now saw the part about the *fee.
    If we could get him for a couple of million it might not be too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Rumours that Montpellier want 8 million for Yanga-Mbiwa
    The scouts were seen at a few Montpellier games.
    Pehaps he's not seen as a player that needs to be signed right now?

He would be a steal at that price. Excellent centre back, strong in the tackle, very good reader of the game, proper leader, decent pace, good passer and still only 23 years of age. Has refused to extend his contract as well so is in the final 11 months of his current contract.

Would rate him as being better than any of our current CB options save for Agger, and there would not be a whole lot between him and Agger at that imho.

If Skrtel wants out, it would be a no brainer imo to go after Yanga Mbiwa.

Milan are meant to be sniffing around him though, but the player has long said that playing in England is his career goal, so would make sense to go after him before he ends up at Milan and increases his value.

Every season I say in here that we need to be going after some of the obvious talents in Europe that are not yet at household name level. Every season sees a number of genuinely good players move for low to medium prices to clubs that are not one of the big CL teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm not sure how much influence Jen Chang can have over transfer targets in his position?

Exactly .

Would the Head of Communication (or whatever his title) have much influence in scouting/first team matters? ...doubt it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Agreed, several of the scouts are only in place a few weeks.

I'm not sure how much influence Jen Chang can have over transfer targets in his position?

Aye, I'd hope that his ideas would be taken into consideration though, he's a very intelligent person and was a good journo too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Sid Lowe
    @sidlowe There's an obvious joke in there... "@101greatgoals: Gerrard & Totti swap signed shirts ahead of Livrpool v Roma tonight
    http://twitpic.com/abklbl/full

5Be1E.png

I don't get the obvious joke :o
    The LFC jersey signed & the Roma one not ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18981850

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew says Liverpool must accept a significant loss if they are to sell Andy Carroll.
    Liverpool turned down an initial bid by Newcastle to take the 23-year-old, who they sold to the Reds for £35m in January 2011, back to Tyneside on loan.
    But Pardew told BBC Radio Newcastle: "[Reading chairman] John Madejski used to say to me about certain players, just wipe your nose and move on.
    "And I think [Liverpool] are going to have to do that with Andy."
    New Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is willing to accept offers of around £20m for the England striker.
    And Pardew, who became Newcastle manager the month before Carroll's departure, believes that the striker was destined to Merseyside leave once Rodgers took over at Anfield.
    "I think it was obvious that as soon as Brendan went into Liverpool that Andy's time was going to have to be somewhere else," said Pardew.
    "I think it's quite right we're involved in that. Whether he comes here, is something that I will take or I will leave.
    "It's a lot of money for Mike [Ashley, Newcastle owner], although we'll obviously be getting a big upside in terms of what we sold him for and we've got three great strikers here already.
    "But of course as the manager I want the best players I can get."

reading between the lines it looks very much on for Carroll to move .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

seriously Pardew, shut the fúck up.

he's not your player, stop talking so openly about him as if you have some sort of right to him just because you're manager of his boyhood club.

fúck right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Which again begs the question, what the hell are the scouting department up to?

I picture our scouting department to be the same as the one at the start of Moneyball.
    about 10 out of touch aul fellas sitting around a table watching re runs of MOTD.

Maybe we have and they have concluded that they just aren't that good? Or else maybe they've told us they aren't interested in us?

Maybe we have and they have concluded that they just aren't that good? Or else maybe they've told us they aren't interested in us?

Well when one looks at what we have actually bought in the same period, and for big money, then I would be very worried about what exactly is a good player in the eyes of our scouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Pardew has one good season in football and now he thinks he's Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Does anyone else feel like they're taking crazy pills with us signing Dempsey from Fulham rather than Dembele?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Yeah it's them hidden gems that have rubbish seasons that you should be targeting. Far maturer approach!

I know this was tongue in cheek, but that is LITERALLY what we should be doing. Trying to identify players who are undervalued for whatever reason. Not paying top dollar taking players on the crest of a wave.

Suarez was a great acquisition along those lines - his discipliniary issues at left him at Ajax for longer than he should have been and we swooped in to take advantage. As a result we have a player who is top shelf and would bring in far more than we paid were he to leave...

Gbear wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel like they're taking crazy pills with us signing Dempsey from Fulham rather than Dembele?

if it's the question of another £3m or less, and Dembele was interested in us, then yes, we're taking crazy pills.

but whether he wants to come is another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Which again begs the question, what the hell are the scouting department up to?

I picture our scouting department to be the same as the one at the start of Moneyball.
    about 10 out of touch aul fellas sitting around a table watching re runs of MOTD.

A lot of our recent purchases have been quite unimaginative, almost immature.

"Oh, he's had a good season, lets get him"

Yeah it's them hidden gems that have rubbish seasons that you should be targeting. Far maturer approach!

What im saying is we are not doing enough research on players.

G.K. wrote: »
    Aye, I'd hope that his ideas would be taken into consideration though, he's a very intelligent person and was a good journo too.

Doesn't really work like that in most workplaces even if it should...Chang will have his job to be getting on with and I'd be shocked if portions of his week are being allocated to attending scouting meetings or providing his written opinion on our transfer targets...

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well when one looks at what we have actually bought in the same period, and for big money, then I would be very worried about what exactly is a good player in the eyes of our scouts.

Well I think it's unfair to criticise our scouts when we have no idea what input they have had. Maybe they have recommended all these players and managers have said no. Comolli did admit that scouts gave negative reports about Enrique but he was bought anyway. Scouts just recommend players, can't do much more than that.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I know this was tongue in cheek, but that is LITERALLY what we should be doing. Trying to identify players who are undervalued for whatever reason. Not paying top dollar taking players on the crest of a wave.

Suarez was a great acquisition along those lines - his discipliniary issues at left him at Ajax for longer than he should have been and we swooped in to take advantage. As a result we have a player who is top shelf and would bring in far more than we paid were he to leave...

Suarez cost over £20m.

Dont get me wrong I think Dempsey would strengthen our squad but I think his nationality has a lot to do with why he is linked to LFC, and the potential commercial value from across the pond it may bring .

Well I think it's unfair to criticise our scouts when we have no idea what input they have had. Maybe they have recommended all these players and managers have said no. Comolli did admit that scouts gave negative reports about Enrique but he was bought anyway. Scouts just recommend players, can't do much more than that.

Comolli needs a swift kick in the bóllox !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

Leiva wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong I think Dempsey would strengthen our squad but I think his nationality has a lot to do with why he is linked to LFC, and the potential commercial value from across the pond it may bring .

that is for sure, he would certainly add to our squad as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'd be very excited with dempsey coming in and hopefully we could throw one of our cms in their direction to knock down the price.
    Demebele would of course be sweet also :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    seriously Pardew, shut the fúck up.

he's not your player, stop talking so openly about him as if you have some sort of right to him just because you're manager of his boyhood club.

fúck right off.

As odious as Pardew is, we're the ones that started the talk about Carroll leaving (even being as daft as to in the same breath talk about the merits of loaning players out). We also apparently told his reps they had permission to look for a move and that he wasn't in the managers immediate plans. We can't then moan when other managers speak publically of him being "available" when we've pretty much told the world he is. Pardew is the one in a position of strength here & his words confirm that. We're going to get ****ed up the arse because of how absurdly we handled this. Fahct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Mr Alan wrote: »
    We're going to get ****ed up the arse because of how absurdly we handled this. Fahct.

We got "****ed up the arse" the day when we signed him for £35M. If we manage to get £20M for him we'll have made the best of a bad situation.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    As odious as Pardew is, we're the ones that started the talk about Carroll leaving (even being as daft as to in the same breath talk about the merits of loaning players out). We also apparently told his reps they had permission to look for a move and that he wasn't in the managers immediate plans. We can't then moan when other managers speak publically of him being "available" when we've pretty much told the world he is. Pardew is the one in a position of strength here & his words confirm that. We're going to get ****ed up the arse because of how absurdly we handled this. Fahct.

Yes and no. If Pardew spoke only of how he rated the player and that his club would be interested at the right price etc., then fair enough.

But Pardew in his interview does not stick to that. He comes out and says what he thinks Liverpool must do
    "just wipe your nose and move on.
    And I think [Liverpool] are going to have to do that with Andy."

He speaks about how it was obvious that Carroll was not part of the plan, which is something I think would be better kept until his club buys the player, until them he should stfu on that.
    "I think it was obvious that as soon as Brendan went into Liverpool that Andy's time was going to have to be somewhere else,"

and he throws in

"I think it's quite right we're involved in that"

Take those bits out of his interview and I think anything else he said is fine based on what has come out of Liverpool already.

• Advertisement

More money than sense Liverpool in recent years if this Allen for 15m deal comes through. That lad did not spring out for me last season and actually Britton had a better season for me than Allen. 15m wow if he wasnt english than prob cost your 3 or 4 m..

Steward Downing = 20 Million
    Andy Carroll= 35 Million
    Henderson= 20 Million
    Charlie Adam= 8 Million
    Allen = 15 Million (potentially)
    Aliberto Aqualani = 17 Million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

CL7 wrote: »
    We got "****ed up the arse" the day when we signed him for £35M. If we manage to get £20M for him we'll have made the best of a bad situation.

Agreed. We won't get near that because of how we've handled the situation though - that's the point I'm making.

Suarez cost over £20m.

When he was worth £30m
    Downing cost £20m when he was worth £10m

West Ham being linked with Andy Carroll now again

When he was worth £30m
    Downing cost £20m when he was worth £10m

He wasn't worth £30m when he was bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

More money than sense Liverpool in recent years if this Allen for 15m deal comes through. That lad did not spring out for me last season and actually Britton had a better season for me than Allen. 15m wow if he wasnt english than prob cost your 3 or 4 m..

Steward Downing = 20 Million
    Andy Carroll= 35 Million
    Henderson= 20 Million
    Charlie Adam= 8 Million
    Allen = 15 Million (potentially)
    Aliberto Aqualani = 17 Million

Will be interesting to see how many of these will be in our first choice XI this season!

This Carroll thing is really going to drag on. If he's left out of the squad next week for the european game then it'll be a bad sign for him. (not that that should bother west ham but I don't think that's reaslistic now that they've signed Maiga).

what Kess said RE: Pardew.

the minute he starts almost lecturing us on what we should do with our player, that's when he needs to fúck right off.

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how many of these will be in our first choice XI this season!

This Carroll thing is really going to drag on. If he's left out of the squad next week for the european game then it'll be a bad sign for him. (not that that should bother west ham but I don't think that's reaslistic now that they've signed Maiga).

He was always going to be linked to West Ham with his agents links to Sam.
    If Carroll is left out next week the easy excuse is that he's not fit as he's just started pre season.

He was always going to be linked to West Ham with his agents links to Sam.
    If Carroll is left out next week the easy excuse is that he's not fit as he's just started pre season.

Ahh no, not the fitness excuses for him again. :)

Would give Carroll a bit longer think he has the potential to be a decent player for you. The way Pardew is going on and his antics with regard to the transfer is very unprofessional though he is a smug little p***k so does not surprise me.

He wasn't worth £30m when he was bought.

Why not? He's the same player now as then. The only difference is who he plays for, but that is not something that should be a concrete factor in how much a player is really worth and that is the point. Player X and Y are the same age, with the same ability and the same experience levels:

- If X is English and Y is French, X will cost much more;
    - If X plays for Liverpool and Y plays for Ajax, X will cost much more;
    - If X happened to have a good Euro 2012 he will cost much more;

The challenge is to cut through all that bull**** and the Suarez transfer is an example of that. He was a top quality player capable of making the step up to top English / Spanish / Italian clubs but such clubs wouldn't bite because of his reputation. We overlooked that picking him up for maybe 70% of his real value and it has been a great acquisition.

Otherwise, most of our purchases the past few years have fallen victim to issues like the above.

NO BRITISH PLAYERS

Because you simply can't get them for what they're actually worth. EVERYONE (clubs / media / fans) have simply accepted the 'British' tax that is added onto the prices for such players. It's time for us to simply refuse to engage with it and look elsewhere.

And if such players won't join us we should just stick with what we have and give youth a chance is necessary. Joe Allen is not good enough to get us towards the Champions League and is way overpriced at £15m. Let's stop spending money for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I would imagine that the players who played in the euros are probably at abou 70% fitness levels after training so late into the summer. They wouldn't have lost much fitness in the last few weeks. It's probably more about burn-out / avoiding injuries later in the season for them.

It's also depressing that West Ham have about 6 strikers on their books now and still are linked to one of our 3!! Defo need another striker on board. Two if we sell Carroll.

I would imagine that the players who played in the euros are probably at abou 70% fitness levels after training so late into the summer. They wouldn't have lost much fitness in the last few weeks. It's probably more about burn-out / avoiding injuries later in the season for them.

It's also depressing that West Ham have about 6 strikers on their books now and still are linked to one of our 3!! Defo need another striker on board. Two if we sell Carroll.

I'm not saying the fitness excuse is a real reason. I'm saying that's the spin the club will probably put on it.
    I wouldn't get too depressed about how many strikers West Ham have :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Anyone know what type of a team Roma are expected to put out tonight? Rodgers has said the senior players won't be ready to take part tonight so it will be loads of the kids again tonight and Roma are 2/1.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

What kind of ridiculous logic is that?

I'm pretty sure it's wrong anyway. Even by his twisted logic it would be Allen plus 20mill, no??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The challenge is to cut through all that bull**** and the Suarez transfer is an example of that. He was a top quality player capable of making the step up to top English / Spanish / Italian clubs but such clubs wouldn't bite because of his reputation. We overlooked that picking him up for maybe 70% of his real value and it has been a great acquisition.

I see what you did there :p

mayordenis wrote: »
    You got that wrong, we basically traded Torres for Caroll and Suarez that January, so it would be Suarez, Allen and 5m.

Nah we basically traded Torres and Babel for Carroll and Suarez so it would be Torres + Babel = Suarez + Allen + 5mill. Now if we could only get Babel back for 5mill it would be Torres + Babel = Suarez + Allen + Babel. Meaning Torres = Suarez + Allen which is pretty good when you think about it! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Late to the party here on Pardew's latest comments (although I did note Slick's complaints earlier today without actually seeing the quotes).

Just like to add a nice: "keep your mouth shut Alan!" to proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

noodler wrote: »
    Late to the party here on Pardew's latest comments (although I did note Slick's complaints earlier today without actually seeing the quotes).

Bit harsh on Mr Alan, he's barely said anything today!

:p

LOL JOE ALLEN FOR £15M

You know that comparing the two deals is like comparing apples and oranges so why the big LOL??? Come on...

Kess73 wrote: »
    He would be a steal at that price. Excellent centre back, strong in the tackle, very good reader of the game, proper leader, decent pace, good passer and still only 23 years of age. Has refused to extend his contract as well so is in the final 11 months of his current contract.

Would rate him as being better than any of our current CB options save for Agger, and there would not be a whole lot between him and Agger at that imho.

If Skrtel wants out, it would be a no brainer imo to go after Yanga Mbiwa.

Milan are meant to be sniffing around him though, but the player has long said that playing in England is his career goal, so would make sense to go after him before he ends up at Milan and increases his value.

Every season I say in here that we need to be going after some of the obvious talents in Europe that are not yet at household name level. Every season sees a number of genuinely good players move for low to medium prices to clubs that are not one of the big CL teams.

ya if this were footy manager skrtel would be at city and Mbiwa would be here but it's just not that easy in the real world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

noodler wrote: »

The same Alan Pardew who nearly blew up with rage when Redknapp revealed Demba Ba's release clause last season? He has no decency or class anyway so it's no great surprise.

• Advertisement

So the deal we have with Swansea is basically we cannot sign any players from Swansea for the next 12 months unless Swansea wanna sell.. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement